Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
My favorite is the guy in the Legend of Korra thread who insisted that all the people seeing romantic elements in the interaction between Korra and Asami were reading their gay agenda into the show, and who continued to insist this even after the creators announced "yes, they are totally bisexuals for each other, and yes, we have been deliberately putting this into the show since at least Season 3."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, Spender's need to be the Hard Man Making Hard Choices has led him to making a bunch of hard choices that weren't actually necessary, like fighting to the death with Forge, who he should have been able to make into an ally, and leaving his students in mortal peril to do so, leading to the effective destruction of a team member (not that Spender noticed or cared). He's also keeping secrets from Isaac for some reason in a way that's leaving his most powerful and unbalanced charge increasingly alienated, which is almost certainly a bigger problem than whatever basic data Spender wants to keep away from the storm spirit.

Spender is technically competent in pretty much every area. He is bad at his job not because he isn't good at it, but because he continues to make incredibly bad decisions.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The background models in the first panel tell me that Zack has been watching Steven Universe, like all right-thinking people.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think the funny thing is that almost every character in the comic who understands what's going on here is going to give Max poo poo for not sacrificing himself to protect his tormentors.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

MikeJF posted:

How do you figure?

They look very similar to the background models that Steven Universe uses.

Also there's the huge piece of SU fanart Zack did, so there's that.

EDIT: To clarify, I mean the simplified versions of the characters used Max when he's seen from a distance, which is a technique more comics could stand to pick up.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Akett posted:

How could he help them without getting himself rekt? He can't do the superspeed thing if he can't connect with his spirit, and he's not exactly close enough to his bat to have a chat with scrapdragon. Mind you he's got that unknown spirit possessing him, but nobody but the spirit and Doorman know about that.

Oh, it's totally ridiculous for them to do so, but they still will.

Consider that the people "in the know" are Isaac, Spender, Isabel, Ed, and Dimitri. They are all the kind of person who will hassle the newbie for not stupidly self-sacrificing for someone he hates.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

Dimitri seems pretty on board with not making stupid sacrifices for people you don't respect.

True, but he will give Max a hard time because it's funny.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

VerdantSquire posted:

It's kinda weird that Hijack is saying that he isn't evil considering how eerily okay he is with crippling and murdering children.

He is merely continuing the trend of all spirits being articulate and interested in ethics regardless of what those ethics actually are.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

i see that paranatural is still paranatural only more than it was

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

A more interesting question is "why didn't Hijack jack a teacher immediately if it can do that?"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

pik_d posted:

So... Jeff will dodge it completely?

Dodging it is the smart move, but he really wants a ball, so he may not think of it in time.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Pretty much all spirits capable of intelligent speech seem to be deeply concerned with ethics.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The possibility that Hijack will just drop Jeff and possess someone else does seem to be something nobody has considered.

Including Hijack.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Chekov's Gun note: Hijack's spirit energy is yellow, the color Spender doesn't want to be associated with.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Lucifer has also been the one pushing Spender to become a hard man making hard choices, so he's not exactly blameless as regards Spender's whole psychological deal.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Or it's the result of Lucifer keeping the other guy locked down all the time.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hijack is also healthy, so he'd be adding yellow energy to the mix-up, whereas a tool would be draining it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ed is being raised by a guy who's okay with keeping him trapped in this little town for the rest of his life.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dolash posted:

Are the kids trapped? Assuming they get the train back, they seemed free to come and go from the dome, it's just that Mayview is where the kids and their families/fellow spectrals live and work. Presumably if nothing unexpected happens to interrupt them, they'd grow up and go off on missions like the other agents.

Grandpa seems okay with the idea of the train never coming back.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hijack seems to jack targets who are emotionally disturbed, so, Spender is the one.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Isabel takes a moment to be concerned about Spender's willingness to hogtie an innocent animal without thinking about it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Whoops, for a minute I thought we had an adult who wasn't on the train to crazytown.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Countblanc posted:

Everyone gets a turn owning ghost train when it attacks Zarei

Honestly, that looks less like Patchworm owned the ghost train and more like Zarei's attempt to attune to the tool fizzled at a really opportune moment.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hijack's special effects give me a vague impression that he can only ride people suffering emotional turmoil. So, Spender probably.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Slime posted:

I dunno, GET SWOLE might actually be a pretty good way to get a bully to back off.

Now I'm imagining future adult Ed as a massive pillar of muscles. Like Armstrong, but dorkier and wearing glasses. Maybe he'll even take Lucifer so he can do the sparkles.

It's hard to imagine that Ed won't be pretty swole if he keeps up the exercise routine Muse appears to demand.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

RandallODim posted:

Oh my god the parrot is Spender

Oh, man, he would be recognizable as Spender even without the double-patches. That is first class posturing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

For all this thread harps on Spender for being a huge dork, he is actually cool also.

The thing is that working hard to be cool and being a huge dork are basically the same thing seen from different levels of information.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, pretty much every spirit we've seen so far would be an especially uncomfortable puberty companion.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

My general impression is that for some reason Zarei was confused after coming out of spirit-time and thought the fly was Patchworm, and was afraid of its being hurt.

Why that would happen or why it would be relevant, I don't know.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kazy posted:

It's not her last name per se, but I think she's related to a teacher or something and is too embarrassed to admit it.

Suzy Spender.

yes I know he's too young

He could easily be her older brother. There's only a fourteen-year difference.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Poor Isaac. His power truly is a curse, which forced him to live a life where his only formative experiences came from watching Naruto.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'll put my money on "Ed beats up Johnny after it turns out that doing exercise all the time for the monkey on his back has made him suprisingly strong."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Countblanc posted:

I like this page a lot but I sorta wish Johnny had actually not gone noodly-armed since it'd have been cool to see Ed do something legit badass considering he's spent the last X years of his life playing host to an emotionally abusive personal coach as well as just fighting things in general. I had actually forgot at first that Johnny clearly wasn't into it and was like "drat, good poo poo Ed," but then I went back and read the last page and remembered. Oh well, I'm sure it'll be cool anyway once we find out Johnny's reasons for pulling his punches.

It's kind of an interesting action sequence, since Ed correctly deflects Johnny's punch (it's just easier than he expected because Johnny's not feelin' it), and then, jazzed by this success, appears to be doing a pretty legit move to take advantage of Johnny's imbalance and gut-punch him, which only fails because Johnny falls over to a fairly light tap instead of resisting.

So, Ed actually does come across looking like a pretty decent scrapper; he's just having abnormal results because Johnny doesn't respond to stimuli like a normal human.

Admittedly he's about to have his skull cracked with a bat, but he probably just didn't think RJ would actually hit him with something that could kill him.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Wow, I was actually right about something!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Tollymain posted:

these people are basically on the same level as isaac and ed's sidequest on the train

I'm starting to wonder if Isaac is actually normal and it's Ed, Isabel, and Max who are actually the weird ones for regarding his anime-inspired lifestyle as unusual, and that's why he's so irritated all the time.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, I can tell who they're meant to be aping, so it's not like they look unlike Rohan and Koichi.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The blasting isn't really funny when you take it in the context of what it says about how Francesco treats spirits.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

Issac isn't the only one who thinks he's in a shonen anime.

Isaac is just the only one who's always right.

Spender thinks he's an anime and suffers for it, Ed is occasionally a shonen boy, but Isaac is completely correct about having an anime-inspired lifestyle and all his actual problems come from something completely different.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

To be fair, Isaac is a small child who has every reason to believe that if he doesn't defend himself, he's going to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

So, uh... where is Hijack, then?