Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

ThatPazuzu posted:

I wonder how they'll work together. I mean, ink and paper powers make sense together, but magnetic powers and paper are much less obvious.

Edit: vvv I imagine they'll work like this.
As sweet as the electromagnetic bat is, it pales in comparison to the ultimate* combo attack, which we have already witnessed.

*May not be as ultimate as advertised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Cat Mattress posted:

Probably deliberate. The weird glyph text has been decoded too. It's like a treasure hunt. There are clues for the readers who care to seek them, though in the end nothing is really spoilery.
A fair bit down into the comments for the latest strip, Zach himself says that he puts in hidden stuff or secret codes under the assumption that it will be almost immediately deciphered. Pretty sound approach, considering the terrible power of a fanbase hivemind.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Splicer posted:

Since I wasn't reading this thread back when Doorman's translated speech was posted I will use this tenuous segue to post my theory!
The broken god is literally broken. As in, broken into pieces. Max's bat only has one piece of the god. The sense of humour is in another piece, somewhere else.
That's what I gathered too. Still seems weird that they'd put a tool containing a fragment of a presumably hostile god-level spirit in regular storage. That sounds like the kind of thing you'd keep under lock and key. Spender seems to have an inkling that Max's spirit is bad news, what with the slapping it away before talking with Max. Or, he could just be treating it as a regular hostile spirit, and is unaware of how really bad news it is.

Speaking of Spender, is there any hint that he knows about the implied factions in the spirit world? So far it seems like the team doesn't seem to care about the politics of the spirit world, and just deals with spirits that cause a ruckus.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

neogeo0823 posted:

Spender strikes me as the kind of guy who doesn't know much of value, and he hides it by bullshitting his way through those long winded speeches that Isaac was complaining about.
I wanna give Spender the benefit of the doubt, but he really does give off that vibe of a small-town cop who's about to get in way over his head, doesn't he?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I've said it before but I'm so glad Isaac has turned out the way he has. He's basically the best possible 'partner' character for Max. He's got a similar sense of humor, but he's already invested in this and has a great moral compass deal compared to the most apathetic Max.
:aaa: Oh my god how did I not realize this sooner?

He's possessed by a storm spirit with a hair-trigger temper.
He has a bat containing the shard of an ancient dark god.
Together, they fight crime.

Best buddy cops. :allears:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Prison Warden posted:

I'm guessing it's just general light powers. The tools all seem to have some relation to the nature of the spirit within them's powers, so a pair of sunglasses for a light spirit makes sense I guess.
You gotta feel bad for the reflection-eating frog spirit. He got stuck in a toilet plunger. "Yes, it represents the... suction of the reflection from the... SHUT UP DON'T JUDGE ME! :saddowns:"

Edit: I hope we see more of PJ and Lefty. Ok, Hissin' Pete can come too if he keeps it down.

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 10, 2013

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Blackheart posted:

I think it'd look great animated flipping horizontally, fast and randomly.

PARTY HAR-euuuugh

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Cat Mattress posted:

Papa Squat's Pizza (and wiretapping) certainly seems like a legit business.

I'm guessing it's either The Cousinhood snooping on the new spectral in town, or a hilariously obvious Mafia-owned business.

Also, has it been explained yet if spectral abilities are genetic? Isabelle's grandpa is apparently a spectral, so I'm wondering if there are/were spectrals in Max's family. Maybe a crazy grand-uncle who in retrospect wasn't so crazy after all.

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 29, 2013

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

kidcoelacanth posted:

My hair-related beef is that Isaac's hairline used to be jagged like hair should be and now it's a straight line and it bothers me way more than it should

Well you know, sometimes hair is... hard to control.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
I like the little imp dude in panel six, all with his tiny fire sword and shield, fighting a rat spirit. Also hooray, the store ghosts!

Edit: I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Max's dad spent/wasted the time to set up a completely ludicrous anti-theft system. Like RFID tagging every item with a unique ID, letting him know that not only did you steal an energy drink, but that you took the third lemon-lime one from the left.

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 4, 2013

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
drat it grandpa, you're too (shonen) anime to drive! Give me your keys.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Timid posted:

Also, grandpa's design is AWESOME. I can already see him being some strong hotshot.
He's basically Bathrobe Gouken. I wonder if there's anything written on the back of his robe.

Speaking of Gouken, respect to the guy doing the hadoken pose. Dude's living out his grade school dreams.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
The changing capitalization on the lamp guy reminds me of the 'insane' demon personality from Devil Summoner. "OlyMPic clAss aCTiVitYYYYYYYY!"

So, Spender is teleconferencing via dreams, then? Or maybe astral projection is a thing in the Paranatural universe.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
Also notable because he's one of the few students who even hit the dummy (while doing hadoken hands, no less).

I gotta wonder, are all of Grandpa's adult students agents? And if the other kid isn't an agent, is she part of another 'Activity Club' at the preppy academy place we've heard about previously?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Razorwired posted:

I'm glad we get to see Johnny and his avant-garde bully crew again. There's something amazing about the way they acknowledge their irrational fears and immediately follow with, "Oh, don't get us wrong. We're still going to bash your face for being different."

We are in the presence of masters of their craft. After all, what better way to enhance one's jerkspertise than acknowledging one's actions are jerk-like and irrational, and then persisting despite this self-awareness?

I do think we were robbed with this scene transition. I dearly wish to see what they do to artists in Sheriff Starchman's town. I like to think it involves BYAAWWW

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
Ok, Forge Knight is loving awesome looking. Petition to get this armor into Dark Souls 2 ASAP.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Paul.Power posted:

Update!

Mr. Garcia uses advanced persuasion techniques.

I straight busted up laughing at the last two panels. "So I'm just gonna, y'know, drop this Starchman Star here... yyyep. Riiiiight here."

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
It usually takes about 10 volumes of the hot-headed protagonist trying to solve problems by hitting them with their face before the mentor figure's lesson sink in.

"C...could it be? I might have to think when I fight? Impossible! Thinking is for stupid people! Master, why do you speak in riddles?"
"Jesus christ kid, just... ugh, you know what, go get your rear end kicked by your cool-headed rival a couple more times and get back to me."

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Portals posted:

Merry to you too, Zack. :allears:
I'm surprised Johnny only got one stocking's worth of coal. Santa probably shorted him just to throw a wrench in his coal-themed get-rich-quick scheme. He's a crafty one, that Kringle...

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

reignonyourparade posted:

Jesus christ, he's so anime.
Well, that's my secret...

...I'm always anime.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

MikeJF posted:

Sounds like Isaac got off easy. I wonder if he has worse to come than auto-gelling hair.
I heard that the longer the possession goes on, his hair becomes--

--harder to control shut uuuuuup

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
Huh. You can still see Mayview's barrier, so I guess they're not that far from town after all? Also, that patch of lit forest, is that where Spender and Forge are dueling? The base camp where they boarded the train would have been inside the barrier, right?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Zenzirouj posted:

Assuming it even knows how to talk. Maybe it will just screech a bunch in his face, look satisfied with itself, then plop him back into normal time.
It was pretty chatty when it was talking to Doorman via Max. Whether or not it actually deigns to talk to him remains to be seen.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Prawn Salad posted:

You also have to consider that she was crazy enough to procreate with Max's dad.

TWICE.
Wouldn't you say that qualifies as Something Cool?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Matlock Birthmark posted:

It does make me wonder how Spender figured he was going to hide anything from someone who can waltz into other peoples dreams.
Well, that's why he was super-paranoid about closing his dream door when he was going to his meeting with Boss Leader.

Man, the inevitable scene when someone barges into Spender's mind and finds that caged up hellspawn thing is going to be great. Bonus points if it's Max. "Hey Mr. Spender, I was gonna... Hm? Hmmmmmmmmmm?"

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Tunicate posted:

Right house, wrong ghost.

Think someone more sinister.
Eh, Lefty is surly, but not evil. It's a pity he doesn't have a mouth so he can talk in the Brooklyn accent I know he has.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
Since we're sort of on the topic of spectral attitudes toward spirits, does it seem like all the spectrals underestimate spirits a lot? They assess immediate threats and deal with them, but they don't seem to really care about any long-term spirit plans or anything like that.

I dunno, it just feels like there's some serious poo poo about to go down between the spirit factions, what with Forge coming down to Mayview. But all the spectrals seem to be either unaware or too wrapped up in petty politicking to care, and it's going to bite them in the rear end in a major way later.

Wyld Karde posted:

Yeah, my own impression is that the test isn't in the nature of 'are you someone we want around?' but more 'if you're going to be around we need to know what sort of person you are'. None of the options presented (kill, ditch or keep) would've lead to a 'fail', BL was just gauging Max's attitude toward his spirit.
Yeah, that's the vibe I got too. I guess Max isn't getting signed up for extermination missions any time soon.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

7c Nickel posted:

Aslan is Jesus Christ in lion form. Picture a grown woman and child grabbing the Son of God by his loincloth and giving him a wedgie.
If you meet the Buddha in the locker room, give him a swirlie!

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

AnonSpore posted:

Starchman stars can be redeemed at any time to immediately summon Mr. Starchman as a guardian spirit.
By 'redeem', you mean 'crush in your hand like a Persona card while shouting STARCHMAN!!!'

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
Hold up, so if it is the big bad shadow spirit that's about to bust out, and the Ghost Train is still in love with Max... Are we looking at a potential train vs. shadow throw down?

Whatever happens, Doc Zarei is not going to be happy about what's happened to her train.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Rhonne posted:

Poor Max had to watch his first true love get its head crushed in. :smith:
And crushed by the "I'm crushing your head!" gag, at that.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
I really like the design on the tiny translator spirit. It looks so shifty.

Also, a big bruiser looking guy with what looks like a gorilla skull mask and a thin guy with a... lizard/snake skull mask?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

And now we finally understand, because we are smarter.
:stare:

Goddammit Morrison, you beautiful bastard.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Rand Brittain posted:

What's funny is that Spender is feeling really bad and he doesn't even know about all the ways he's screwed the pooch yet.
Pretty sure the (demon) pooch screwed him in this case :v:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Fecha posted:

Apparently the bunnies are cute lil shinobi :3:

http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=328

Also they live in a house with Pee Wee's Playhouse level of living furniture / appliances. Good thing the chair Isaac zapped wasn't also alive.

That phone spirit is getting a little too friendly with the side of Doorman's head, if you ask me...

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

Captain Oblivious posted:

Doubtful. Everything in that conversation suggests that whatever was controlling Max is just one player in the game of many.
How many players and/or factions are we up to, anyway? By my count we've got:

Spectral Crews:
The Activity Club (subsidiary of The Consortium)
The Consortium
The Cousinhood of Man (rival organization to The Consortium)
Doorman's Crew
Unnamed Death Cultists (may or may not be linked to Mystery Evil Spirit X)

Human Crews:
Journalism Club (currently targeting Activity Club)
Johnny's Gang (currently targeting Activity Club)
School Administration (currently targeting Max)

Possible Lone Wolves:
Mystery Evil Spirit X (may or may not be linked to Unnamed Death Cultists)
Francisco (ostensibly works for The Consortium, but is probably doing his own thing too)
Spender (definitely working behind The Consortium's back for his own purpose)
Mr. Garcia (still don't know what he was doing floating in that stream)
Isaac (doesn't know who to trust, but leaning towards Doorman's Crew)

Starchman:
Mr. Starchman

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

A big flaming stink posted:

Well someone has to take charge of the responsibilities of the store, and max is busy with ghosts
Also, Max's dad probably brainwashed himself to forget about owning the store as part of his Double-Secret Shopper initiative.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?

I don't see why the dog couldn't either be a Spectral or a Medium. It was effected by the spirits as it went with Izabel and Max. Might have been a gag and a hint at what's up with that Squeaker.
Oh. My. God.

It's Iggy from JoJo.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
EVEN UNNAMED TERTIARY CHARACTER IS SCARED

Alternatively

HURRY UP MISTER BURGAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
Muse proves that dramatic face shadows are superior to letterboxing. Suck it, Isaac.