Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Oh man it's cool that the first wallpaper is basically Max and Issac doing a combo attack. I wonder if that will ever be a thing in the co-

YES!

Speaking of that wallpaper, there's a pretty good glimpse of Issac's spirit in there. Have we seen it before and I'm just not remembering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like that Isaac is obsessed with good and justice (as are the spirits in his life, in one way or another). When we were introducted to him he seemed like a selfish jerk, but it makes more sense now why he actually hangs around with the club despite hating them; They're an opportunity for him to smite some evil.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

http://paranatural.net/chapter-4-page-5/

Well Isabel is steadily climbing the ladder into "Favorite Character" zone

Her Grandapa is amazing, and by sassing him she has instantly dropped to "worst character."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
So considering these two comics, we can safely assume Spender's power is light manipulation, right? It makes sense for a Sunglasses tool, too.

http://paranatural.net/chapter-3-page-50/
http://paranatural.net/chapter-4-page-26/

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Simsmagic posted:

I would think so, looking back on this panel. I didn't notice the first read, but he's flicking away the light rather than turning it off.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that little sprite in the bird cage is his spirit, too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FriggenJ posted:

We've already seen how hostile spirits/ghosts prey on smaller or lesser ones. Additionally from the whole Doorman saga we know there are some really scary freaking spirits out there. Eightfold gets a nice home, gets to kick butts, and eat as many books as she wants. Would YOU leave that behind to chance the world at large?

On the other hand, she has to ritualistically kill herself on command every now and then, and that probably sucks a bit.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nick_326 posted:

A cool person made some awesome fanart of a (sadly not real) Paranatural RPG:

Other than the dark-purple-on-black color scheme on the last one, these own.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Brannock posted:

I wonder if "THE" spirit was Max's Trashdrago.

If so this would also explain why a spirit of that strength is being stored at the school. It also explains why Spender was surprised at seeing Max's black aura - before stopping and reminding himself that black auras are pretty common (so it probably isn't even the trashdragon, right?).

I don't think Spender knows yet what Max's powers are like or who his spirit is.

He knows Max has the bat, and it'd be pretty irresponsible for him to store all those world-ending horrors in his closet if he didn't know which one was which based on the object. And Spender is a spaz, there's no way he wouldn't have that poo poo memorized.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

wiegieman posted:

God, of course Isaac is a vegetarian.

That's what I was going to say, yeah. He's managed to overcome his Shonen Protagonist inherent love of meat to take the path of true pacifism.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Spender's powers are almost 100% some sort of light manipulation, so I'm pretty sure that's just him talking to his spirit.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LtStorm posted:

Let's not forget Spender using his dramatic glasses flare as shurikens. :colbert:

The panel where he just dramatically pushes his glasses up his nose six times in rapid succession to generate more flares is one of my favorites in the series.

e: and the next comic has my favorite alt text in the series.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tenebrais posted:

Four stars is probably a large amount. It's a safe bet, since everyone in that scene had clearly already figured it out (with passing possibility that it might have been a sister or close friend or something). Ed still took the bet, but then, Ed follows Isabel around like a puppy. Has it been said what their relationship actually is?

I wouldn't be shocked if Ed's parents were indisposed. Probably not dead, since that's Max's shtick, but maybe off somewhere doing Crazy Spirit Detective Work or something and Ed is staying with Isabel and her Grandpa.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mazerunner posted:

And even further back on this page in the "could actually... be..." panel it looks like there's a very faint design of the magnet snake in Max's face?

Football Appreciation Club is probably one of my favorite background jokes

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

rotinaj posted:

I think Spender is ultra cool.

You've been tricked.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The next panel is probably going to be Spender telling Max that ghosts can't wield poo poo. Also this page was sorta boring but I think a lot of the PJ pages drag, so hopefully we'll just get a sharp cut away on Friday!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Oxxidation posted:

So is there just, like, a lump of coal in your chest cavity or

Yes. Also I Hate Fun.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Of course Spender's car's windshield and windows would form a pair of sunglasses.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rhonne posted:

Poor Spender, trying so hard to be cool and failing miserably at it.

Messing up being cool and explaining his obvious special power, Spender is in top form today.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I guess it was always sorta obvious, but it's good to know that there's a sizable number of people who can control/fight with spirit energy, but not actually have a tool/be possessed. I just assumed the two went hand in hand.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Opposing Farce posted:

Am I missing something here? I'm not quite sure what you're referring to.

Grandpa said that, if it weren't for Isabel's tool, she'd take his lessons to heart and become a True Fighting Champion or whatever. Instead, he sees her tool as a crutch that's keeping her from actually becoming a better spirit-fighter-person since it's probably a lot easier to make a tidal wave of paper to crush your foes than it is to magical martial arts a rogue ghost into submission. My point was that it never occurred to me that people would actually train their spirit technique unless they had a tool or plans to get one.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I wonder how long it takes for the whole process to complete. I always assumed it was, like, years of frequent usage, but I guess that'd make for boring storytelling.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's possible Grandpa knows some things about the organization that cast a less than favorable light on the whole thing, since he apparently used to work for them. It might explain why Issac's spirit - potentially a HERO OF JUSTICE (who happens to be a big scary cloud man) - is so interested in learning about them and clearly doesn't like Spender.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Speaking of tumblr:

quote:

itsbenedict asked: So if a spirit could possess the moon, does that mean one could possess the Earth? Is there some power : size ratio for possessing things, or could any old thing hypothetically possess the planet?

Yeah, there’s a hazy power/size ratio thing at work. If you see something really big get possessed in the comic it’ll be by an equally big and powerful spirit.

Obviously it's nothing concrete, but that general rule either has to not work in reverse, or Max's world magnet serpent isn't actually as huge as we've been led to believe. Or it's an exception. Who knows!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The frog really wasn't a bully, he seemed pretty inoffensive (if not a bit grumpy) until Max revealed himself to be a spectral. I imagine a spectral's power can seem pretty loving weird or even offensive to a spirit, so his comments about Max and other spectrals imprisoning his kind and exploiting their powers aren't totally out of line. And I mean, we've only really met the good spectrals, for all we know some - or even most - of them use their new superpowers for less noble purposes. Even the good ones are effectively using spirit powers to fight other spirits.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Aqua Outlaw posted:

Here's my crazy theory. Magnet Snake isn't a snake. He's a hydra.

I mean it's possible, but the Chapter 2 cover image screams "snake" to me pretty loud.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah, Paranatural basically takes the good/fun tropes from anime - over the top heroics and poses, cool superpowers, vibrant colors - and simultaneously makes fun of them and embraces them. It also keeps out the bad (Zack has gone on record saying the cast is as young as they are explicitly so he doesn't have to care about romance, for instance). But if the word "anime" is inherently triggering for you regardless of why, you'll probably hate the comic.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Brannock posted:

The comic's good but Chapter 1 really was weak. The three people I've recommended Paranatural to have all reported back with "I thought this was going to be really bad after Chapter 1 but holy crap this comic is fantastic"

Yeah chapter one is decidedly average, especially the art. But fortunately, like your friends said, it gets a lot better (and chapter 1 is quite short to boot).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Prison Warden posted:

God dammit Zack, we ALL KNOW Spender has light and Shadow powers, jesus, just come out and tell us already. :mad:

Aha, a clever allusion to my sunglasses' ability to manipulate light. Very nice.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Watch out, it'll eat your head if you do it for too long! :gonk:

So are we meant to take from this new page that Spectral-Energy blasts aren't all they're cracked up to be? Maybe we are, although it could just be possible that Forge is somehow highly resistant or outright immune to it.

Well the spectral harpoons one-shot those dogs in the panel posted earlier this page (even if they regenerate from it later), I think it's more that Forge is really tough or Spender wasn't giving it his all yet.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Roland Jones posted:

Man, what is Max's aura doing in that second-to-last panel> It's getting weird and tendril-y, and it seems to be moving towards the pixeldogs rather than upwards like the stuff normally does.

That's what I thought of as well.

Well, the dogs obey the most evil thing around, I wouldn't be surprised if magnet snake is trying to get his control on.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
And I'm sure it's not "literally only obeys the single most evil entity in the entire multiverse," just "bows to powerful, evil creatures."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Spender dying also makes sense from a storytelling perspective because he's supposedly incredibly strong, which means the kids will only seem relevant when he's not around or as plot devices to make Spender look stronger/incompetent. That said, I don't really expect him to die this arc.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Lucifer talking about how Spender not worrying would make his (Lucifer's) job easier, I wonder if Spender's emotional state influences the strength of each spirit, or maybe just the tentacled one.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Roland Jones posted:

When talking to Grandpa Spender mentions that she's "physically disabled". I think we may have gotten one or two more hints/glimpses as well but I can't recall off the top of my head.

The alt text on that comic always completely ruins me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Preemptive RIP Eightfold

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tollymain posted:

Things that are true and not at all theories:

Spender will go to the dark side and turn into a Naruto character.

Johnny is going to end up with the most absurdly obnoxious power in existence. Possibly even being an excrementalist :shrek:

Max dies in this chapter and is replaced by the real hero of this story, P.J.! :ghost:

Wrong, we all know Johnny is getting that clone-plunger. An army of Johnnies being the guy he can hook you up with to get your kicks in the form of actual kicks is too important.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Anyone have any idea what all the hearts on the chapter 4 cover refer to? The rest of the imagery is pretty obvious now that we've (presumably) neared the end of the chapter, but the hearts, not so much. Spender's love of Mayview?

http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=157

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The lady who's coming to watch Spender and Crew has Cupid Powers.

It'll probably show up soon.

Oh yeah, good call. Man, this chapter is loooooong.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't disagree with the things Eightfold is saying, but I can't help but feel this isn't an appropriate place for this sort of break, narratively-speaking. We're in the middle of at least two important combats (which are cool and exciting!) after not really having a good fight for, well, a year or so (whenever Max "fought" the racist whale frog). I know it isn't a comic about fighting, but this is a frustrating break considering we get two pages a week, with this conversation already lasting over half a month.

This, to me, says that Eightfold is going away. Zack isn't a Master Storyteller, but he has a grasp on how fiction works, and I don't think he'd normally say "y'know, I bet people really want to hear about how Isabel considers spirits a useful novelty sometimes and attempts to save her mortal friend from splattering into the wall of a train instead of her spirit which is tucked relatively safely into a solid object, right now." This is a conversation which has to take place now, because Eightfold won't be around in the near future. That, or it's just a boring conversation. I get that it's probably setting up Isabel to be angry with Max, but I just can't really bring myself to care - I think physically losing the book would have been enough of a catalyst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

youcallthatatwist posted:

I think that's more just this chapter.

It also happened with Doorman, Isaac's spirit, the whale frog, and maybe others I can't remember.