Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tollymain posted:

Maybe she would project her anger at herself on him?

Basically this, yes. Max indirectly lead to her losing Eightfold (assuming that happens) because he's a noob-rear end scrub who couldn't save himself from falling despite having magnetic powers inside a giant tube of metal. She instinctively saved him, because he's her friend and a human instead of a book, but now she might guilt trip on that. It's a pretty human thing to do, and she's a literal child so there's that.

I mean none of this might happen - Eightfold might just magically stick around, maybe Isabel will just become completely self-loathing, maybe she'll project on her grandfather like you said - but I think driving a wedge between a group is a pretty common heroic fiction trope and hardly out of the realm of possibility here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dyllyn posted:

NOOO THE CUTEST MEMBER OF PARANATURAL IS ABOUT TO GO WHYYY

:siren:

Huh? What's happening with Mr. Starchman?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dyllyn posted:

I see your sneaky switcharoo and raise you the paranatural cast page!

Ha I am smug! No wait I am sad augh Eightfold WHY

If that cast page is to be believed, Spender is also objectively the coolest.

So I guess what I'm saying is you were right.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Eightfold is gone for, like, at least two real-world years and quite possibly longer/forever. This is just too much build up for it not to happen; Like I said earlier, Paranatural is a webcomic (that likes to pretend it isn't sometimes), and spending a month leading up to something and then saying "gotcha!" doesn't make a lot of sense. It's one thing to subvert a trope within a page or two, like when Spender flips off the roof and messes up his landing, or the whole "Black spirit energy?! That's---!... Pretty common" joke. But I think it'd be a misstep for Eightfold to get rescued now or reappear anytime soon.

Not a comic-ruining misstep, but yeah.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's just as much an anime trope to watch a character smirk and die heroically as it is to talk too much, Zack could have absolutely done that anyway.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bongo Bill posted:

Of what use is a bully without a nerd?

Wow, you just went full Zen Bully there. Pretty sure I'm enlightened now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Happy Yeti posted:

There is no cave, it's just the ghost train's power pushing way the earth. Once the train's passed, it's just solid dirt again. How LSI got there, is unknown.

It sorta just phased through the ground, you can see it leaving the same way. Ghosts can phase through stuff (I think spirits can too?).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

gently caress you Max, vanilla is delicious.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Haha, I never noticed the little red guy mocking Max.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh god the author twitter says Spender is 26. That makes him younger than me. This is terrible.

Same, but it does explain his Anime Reality.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'll be real sad if Spender is just a weak nobody who just happened to luck into crazy powers (which he is still useless with), because he clearly is given some amount of respect and autonomy by the Cousinhood; They apparently think highly enough of his abilities to let him put the lives of young spectrals at risk and to generally keep his town safe on his own. His reaction to Forge's "I was told you slew the strongest spirit" comment seemed more like it was supposed to be a guarded secret than a jab at his pride, but who knows.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Haha, Zoey's face

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hell yes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tollymain posted:

It's okay, none of the other characters in the area have compatible spectral signatures

That's a funny way of spelling "Johnny".

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ditocoaf posted:

I just noticed the sparkles all around her speech bubble. Wow.

And apparently her tool is a... walking stick? Cane? ...which has taken on a lot of properties of its inhabitant, apparently some kind of rose spirit.

We knew she was, in some way, impaired. I guess she's blind!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah, Max doesn't really have the luxury of not being in the club, now that he's part of the whole spirit scene. Until he learns to protect himself or makes some other, more reliable allies, they're the best defense he has against bigoted amphibians or presumably other things we haven't seen since it's only been like 5 days in-universe or something.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Pretty sure he possessed Johnny. He has a job to do, and there's no way he can do it if he's stuck in an item carried around by a non spectral. We're going to see him use Johnny to do something, hopefully next chapter.

Yeah, hopefully this has a payoff sooner rather than later. I love Paranatural, but it moves at an absolutely glacier pace a lot of the time. A "timeskip" of a week or so, where much hasn't changed beyond Johnny starting to have his powers come in, would be nice. But I doubt that'll be happening since Agent Day certainly has stuff she wants to do (and stuff Zack wants us to see) sooner rather than later.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ollie is basically Dotcom from 30 Rock

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

net cafe scandal posted:

Hey, all. Hey, Countblanc. Just read all of Paranatural, and it's really good, funny, well drawn, definitely as good as Homestuck, big things happening, lots of good words, love it, love the characters, my compliments to the chef. Perfecto.

Hello. Yeah it's very good. I think what's most neat is that Zack made a world where you care about the logistics as much as the events in the story. Not even in the nerdy "gotta know how magic works just because" way, but because things like "what's the difference between a tool user and a medium" is important to the story telling and has interesting implications.

e: now I had to go back and read stuff. Isabel's grandpa said to give the whalefrog plunger to Isaac, dude would have fuckin' torn it up since making reflections is pretty simple when you can conjure water

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 30, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Do we know who the "her" Forge was talking about in this comic is? The only female characters who could interact with spirits in Mayview we know of are Isabel, Agent Day, Dr. Zarei, and Eightfold (rip). I guess we don't know the sex of any other spirits besides Isaac's, though. And obviously it could be someone new.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kabanaw posted:

I love that after Day's "Death threat" one of Zarei's body guards steps in front of her.

He's doing the "aw shucks" hand-behind-head thing, she's probably just running around complementing everyone.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah like a character can have a motivation, even one that is touching and real, and still do unjustifiable things. At best Grandpa is going to evoke pity from us for a tortured past or something, but he's still the dude who borderline/"borderline" abuses his granddaughter.

But also the thing someone said about that being an objective Good Thing For The Student/Child in this sort of fiction so whatever.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Poor P.J., forever doomed to not be a superhero/be eaten like yarn spaghetti by a weakened spirit in a tool.

Also Spender being serious is always nice to see, it does a good job reinforcing just how much he cares and how much work he puts into it, even if he's ultimately a failure whoops

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dolash posted:

Spender could be a smoker - we know he's always got a light.

Boo this man

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Spender would never smoke, because he doesn't want to be a bad influence on the kids. He'd proclaim this loudly as they were beating eaten alive.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I wonder if Spender is busting in dramatically from the other door, or simply walking into the teachers lounge with a... walkie-talkie? Weird juice box?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I genuinely hope Spender has done something to earn loyalty, because we've been told time and time again by characters that he's Mr. Billy Badass and yet we really haven't seen that outside of his temporary "you wouldn't like me when I'm angry" burst of ~dark powers~.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Watch it turn out that Zarei is just using plain ol' Magic.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I just noticed that this entire page is slanted, cool.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's interesting how Isaac said "We both know what I probably did to get punished like this." Which implies that he did something that he thinks earned him the disapproval of the council. I wonder what that is.

They're all just jealous that Isaac gets to rescue deer princess babes all day and they're stuck getting yelled at by Isabel's grandpa

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nothing is faster than a dog.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rand Brittain posted:

The Dog Lover mug is just icing on the cake of Spender Is An Awful Teacher.

Hey, he teaches other students too! Maybe one of Spender's math students bought him that as a gift!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
To be fair, that page was from literally over a year ago (January, specifically). The new stuff looks great though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Well that pretty firmly killed any hope of Squeakdog being the umbrella spirit. Fortunately it seems like he wasn't just a weird throwaway gag or else he probably wouldn't have been mentioned again, so hooray for more dog.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Fun fact: all top five pages have Johnny in it.

Wrong.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm not actually clear on what happened. Jeff is being controlled by some weird puppeteer spirit and the dog... saw it happen?

e: Oh the dog was the spirits previous host I think

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Isaac lookin cool

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Cody is very cool

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Tiny redhair kid confirmed not to be Issac (which always sounded weird to me anyway) and to instead be Sasuke from Mystical Ninja

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Football sucks, hitball 4 lyfe

Wait until the Football Appreciation Club hears about this bozo