Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm honestly surprised to see anything beating Homestuck given its incredibly large and incredibly crazy fanbase.

Gunnerkrigg won the poll over Homestruck last year. But that's namely because Hussie told his fans to vote for other comics, such as GKC.

I'll vote on this poll, but I'm not going to focus on it. Last year it got kinda nasty and stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

ThatPazuzu posted:

I wonder how they'll work together. I mean, ink and paper powers make sense together, but magnetic powers and paper are much less obvious.

Well, how about magnet powers and electricity. Isaac can provide that.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Wow, how did I miss the wallpaper that inspired the topic in the first place. In my defense, I think I went straight to the Starchman one.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I love that Isaac is making some of the same hand gestures here that he did during his little spaz out last comic. So very consistent.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Why does she have a paper morning star in that last panel? :lol:

She carried it in with her last comic. I believe it went with them fighting something while out on morning patrol.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Prison Warden posted:

True. it also assumes that having a hungry spirit sucking your spectral energy is a good thing and not just something Spectrals have to live with.

Well, given Mr Spender's reaction, having multiple spirits inside your head could be problematic.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I just love Max's dad. Actually I like the whole family, but Max's dad is pretty great.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I wonder what sorta extra diet restrictions "deep veganism" involves?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Oh man, the alt text on this one is absolutely amazing.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
The page appears the same. Maybe one of the ads on the site had something malicious in it.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I know it's been mentioned before, but I wonder if Walker has some interest in quilting/sewing. Because so far everything in his little mental space is patchwork fabric. The logs he was sitting on, the fire, and I just noticed the moon behind Boss Leader is sewn into the sky.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 27, 2013

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
In addition to all the other great things in this page, I like the implication that Max's tool is resisting him assisting Spender. It is probably still upset about him knocking the bat away from Max the previous day.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

rotinaj posted:

Wait. Now I'm confused.

"Since your spirit is out of your tool, didn't you just lose your powers?" "Yeah, for now, no big, Eightfold only takes a few days to recover" then "Gonna need your powers for whatever Spender wants us to do after school".

Doesn't the first exchange mean it'd take her a few days for Eightfold to give her her powers again? Or something?

Pretty sure she just means Eightfold takes a few days to recover fully after tooling up. So, since Eightfold offed herself, she'll need several days inside the book before she could physically manifest again.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Splicer posted:

This implies that Eightfold is hanging around powering Isabel's tool because she wants to, because otherwise she would have scarpered by now.

I think I saw a comment by Zach that said he'd expand more on the different types of relationships spectrals have with their spirits. But I'd hazard a guess that Eightfold's situation is that she's a weak spirit on her own, and thus it's more beneficial for her to be in tool form. Isabel provides food/protection/energy, and in exchange she get's to use Eightfold's paper manipulation power, of which Isabel seems capable of using to greater effect than Eightfold.

It's also possible that Eightfold isn't capable of using her power on as grand a scale as Isabel does because she lacks the energy, which Izabel provides. I can also imagine that stronger spirits might be able to provide stronger effects with thier powers, though with increased risk of being less cooperative or even downright hostile. Such as was implied with Mr. Spender warning Max about his spirit eating him. I don't think that's such a risk with Isabel's situation.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 27, 2013

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I have never seen a comic portray difficulty hearing someone speaking away from the listener by having their model obstruct the speech bubble.

That's a pretty nifty.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 8, 2013

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

readingatwork posted:

Am I the only one that sees the terrible potential flaw in Max's plan?

Do you mean a ghost wielding a tool would look really silly, since it would just be a floating object. Or do you mean the fact that since a ghost is all spectral energy that the tool would completely devour them?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I do love how he stops because he realizes he is some sorta weird psychic/spectral.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
This is an interesting relationship Isabel and her grandfather have. I assume the "you did that on purpose" was her realizing that his spoken prediction caused her to completely throw away the fight.

I mean, counting your moves is pretty brazen, all your opponent needs to do is evade, and let you overextend.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Well, that's some more information about Isabel. Though Isabel's statement about her father seems to imply he's still alive. And panel 10's layout confused me for a moment. Thought Isabel had teleported from the lawn to porch all of a sudden.

And I love random gasping face in the background there.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 13, 2013

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I still don't understand that panel. It looks like she's in 2 places at once.

I think it's just a close-up. It's just not indicated very well, so it's a bit confusing.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

SlothfulCobra posted:

Mr. Spender just read an anime book on how to be a good mentor to children, and it just doesn't work without the emotional detachment or the aura of mystery. Or being in an anime.

But at least he calmed down Isabella a bit.

I'd say he diffused the situation nicely. Everyone always stops what they were doing to look at a massive dork.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

The Leper Colon V posted:

I'd almost say that's giving Spender too much credit.

But I know that one day, he'll say that's exactly what he's been doing. And then someone will call him out with "you're just saying that to excuse how much of a dweeb you are, aren't you?"

Well now, I didn't say he did it intentionally now did I.

The line between being a dweeb and distracting people by acting like a dweeb doesn't exist.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Oxxidation posted:

Apparently Isabel's grandpa told Girlgeta exactly how to counter her attacks, just so Isabel would be humiliated. He is a doo doo head

It also appears to have annoyed Girlgeta. I don't think he told her that wolf head move was only useful for humiliating Isabel. Least, that's what I took from her annoyed glare there.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 20, 2013

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
No comments on today's comic yet. Surprising.

You know, when we learned this chapter would be about a ghost train, I had a much different impression of how it would look.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I really am partial to team Refrigerator Reminder.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Yoya posted:

GET SOME DANG EGGS. Background gags steal the show every time.

The alt text is pretty good too.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Well. I certainly wasn't expecting Forge to do that.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

Huh, cast page says that Isabel's Grandfather trains consortium agents. I figured he was just training disciples and once in a while one chose to go agent.

I took this page to imply that he trains the agents. His first thought when he hears another agent is coming is that he'll be training them.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
So, I'm guessing here, but it seems like the dog's power is that their are either a lot of them, or they just rebuild/respawn themselves after being destroyed. I'm pretty sure we've seen the red one die twice now. Spender also speared the purple one on the train and that one reappeared last comic.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 25, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

And it seems to be working! :stare:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

KittyEmpress posted:

His twitter makes me laugh.

He's also got a really interesting statement on how he pictures the languages.

quote:

I will take this opportunity to say that, as you may have noticed, spirit languages work a certain way. They're all earned through different conditions: living a century, doing bad thangs, etc. And I wanted their structure to reflect that! High Spirit is supposed to be/sound like "language aged," so I took normal letters and distorted them. Cursed Words are supposed to be/sound like "language recycled," so I spent an hour and a half doing a stupid word search in my own comic.

Er, to explain that better, in-universe it's made up of words that have already been spoken, reanimated and repurposed for this new language.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Rather nasty looking shadows in panel 6. I wonder how big Spender's other spirit is.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Man, now I really want to know what experience in the past made Forge realize his quest for the "greater good" was completely wrong.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 28, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

Isabel's a freaking badass with her spectral limbs. Screw the tool, Max, that's a way cooler superpower.

Ya. It seems a well trained spectral even without a tool is fairly versatile.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Ha ha. I love Izabel in this one. Good use of dynamic tactics.

VV. Max is clearly panicked and terrified. I'm happy he got a smack in at all honestly.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 7, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

theshim posted:

Of course he did actually get beaten up by Johnny the one time he actually went for a straight fight, so v:v:v

Max is agile, flexible and fairly mobile. But I think Johnny probably has him beat in the hitting things department.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

ronya posted:

If being pulled into the spirit world is effortless, you'd think they would do it all the time during battles to teleport around the place.

I suppose their are some negatives too it that we haven't observed yet. Plus we haven't actually seen anyone using it in battle and actually doing anything but talking to their spirit.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Well, there is another weakness of the spirit world thing. It takes energy from the spirit to pull the spectral into and keep them in that world. I didn't think spectrals would end up using super speed for everything.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Shindragon posted:

Edit: I can see Isabel blaming Max for this... but the same time, I kinda see her blaming Spender moreso for teaming her up with the newbie.

I would hope she'd actually process what Eightfold is saying here. Max really had nothing to do with her losing the book, and once the dogthing knocked it off the train, she wasn't getting it back. We'll see how it plays out.

And blaming Spender might be more justified.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Ha ha. The minicomic is great.

And hurray for Max doing something right before getting punted.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 16, 2014