Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
If nothing else, this chapter has taught me of the horrendous safety practices on ghost trains. Those doors could stand to have locks on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Zenzirouj posted:

If this is a spirit meeting, it should probably just be Professor Snake teaching Max how magnetic field lines work.

This post made me go look up the last time we saw the Magnet snake. Someone has commented that the eyes on one side of it's head are blue and the other side is red. Which I suppose fits with the magnet theme. Never made the connection myself since the red eyes are only seen in the menu widget

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Oh wow! Mayview has a really nice lake close by, isn't that cool!

Also, Max's spirit is really huge.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Well, at this point I'm a little stumped. Only thing I can see in this page is that in the last panel most of the spectral energy and glow is centered around Max's backpack. Plus, it looks like he's being lifted by the backpack. So maybe that's a second unknown tool. I'd have thought the Activity Club would have noticed that, but we don't know yet how they identify tools that wish to conceal themselves.

But this is more baseless speculation.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Meowjesty posted:

Boss Leader, Spender nearly got his students killed and is currently failing to kill an anvil man while the train runs around and he killed Eightfold can you please fire him?????

It does make me wonder how Spender figured he was going to hide anything from someone who can waltz into other peoples dreams.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Tupperwarez posted:

Well, that's why he was super-paranoid about closing his dream door when he was going to his meeting with Boss Leader.

Certainly makes the internal investigation a bit more threatening. We're sending Agent Day to investigate. Oh, and I'll be watching the subconscious thoughts of everyone you associate with.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Well, that explains that. Boss Leader is a medium for a spirit of dreams. And also capable of really unsettling crap if panel six is any indication.

VV. Sorry, it was 4am when I woke up, saw the update and made that post. I'll remember for future.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 27, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I know this page had a lot of information to theorize on. However, I just wanted to point out that Boss Leader appears to be changing their background location based on what she is doing. When she turns her head into a fishbowl container they are underwater, a field when talking about baseball (field of dreams maybe), and a nighttime parking lot when she's doing the detective thing.

Nice touch, plus I think continues to get the point across how powerful she is in the dream world.

Also, does Boss Leader's dialogue here sound like this is a test for Max to anyone else? She jumps into the, "I could absolutely kill your spirit for you if you want to be safe" incredibly quickly.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 4, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Well, while their might have been no wrong answer to that test. I very much doubt BL would have just invited Max to join the Consortium if he choose to kill off his spirit due to danger it posed him or for a desire of a better power.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

neogeo0823 posted:

I think the power to not have or respect magnet powers is Max's ultimate power, granted to him by BL. I think it's pretty interesting to see the different view of tools shown between BL and Isabel. Whereas Isabel and Eightfold shared a definite friendship between the two of them, BL seems to view tools as exactly that; Disposable things that accomplish a task. Seeing a conversation between the two of them on the matter would be interesting.

I disagree. I think BL was proposing these ideas to Max as part of the test she admitted it was. Last page she warned Max that his spirit was potentially dangerous and she'd totally kill it for him if he wanted to ensure his own safety. This page, she also suggests to Max that he could totally switch out his power if he wanted something better.

But Max rejected both these ideas, and so she invites him to be a member of the Consortium. I'm getting the impression that killing your spirit for personal safety, or abandoning your spirit just because you want too have better powers are things that the Consortium does not support.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 7, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
While finding out about the Burger Child is pretty cool. We also learned that Isabel's grandfather's name is Francisco. This page raises a lot of questions in my mind. First, it shows Boss Leader is certainly aware and annoyed with Spender's secrecy. Also, in panel 5, it appears she has white spectral energy.

I wonder how old she actually is? And I suppose the last two panels is a request that Max reports on Spender to her?

Edit: Actually, she didn't mention Isaac. Spender supposedly defeated a storm god and he keeps Isaac in the dark about most details. Do you think the Activity Consortium has no idea Isaac exists?

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 11, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
In response to the question on how spectral kids are normally trained.

Zach posted:

Normally they're trained in their dreams, in the dream hub, or assigned to a traveling Consortium agent mentor!

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Your way works too posted:

If the spirit giving dream powers is cooperative like eightfold or tooled then they should be able to pass the dream powers to other people.

So actually it's just that spirit that is ridiculously critical.

True, though the way she talks seems to indicate she's at least older than Spender. She did say she has an affection for that boy.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I'm also getting the impression that Spender was severely underestimating this agent Day. She both has apparent history in Mayview, and BL values her.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I wonder how many successes Boss Leader gets with the buttflap option. Great send off line to waking in a cold sweat though.

Also, seems BL controls when the dream ends.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 28, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Update! And we finally exit the dream. Of course, Zach leaves me with questions. The art seems to be really focusing on BL grabbing that star. I wonder if it has some actual significance, or if it's just a red herring.

Also, the alt text is amazing.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 1, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

SatansBestBuddy posted:

max and boss leader giving aslan sacrilegious noogies.gif I don't get it :(

Have you read The Chronicles of Narnia? It's a funny mental image to me.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I'm not sure I understand why this time discussion has come up. Boss Leader flat out stated last page that she had complete control over perceived duration of the dream. Max could have been unconscious for all of five seconds, but BL could make that feel like 50 lifetimes.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

AnonSpore posted:

The coolness of that suplex was immediately neutered by the name she gave it.

Sure, it would be pretty dorky if it was the traditional Spender Slam. But the Isabel Edition of the move is much improved with the return to the upright position via spectral energy. Much more impressive and plays better to the crowd I think.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Spender you're kind of pitiful. Like, I maybe didn't expect you go to Super Saiyan or whatever, but you basically lost the fight all the time. Your trump card was "kill me and bad poo poo happens" which is a lame trump card god drat it Spender

You would think that with the ability to manipulate and control light, he would be weaker at nighttime. But if that is the case he came into this fight way overconfident.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Well, I guess that shows us that Spender is powerful after all. Still pretty much a dick, but we sort of knew that.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

How does possession work with non-spectrals again? Frog-guy considered it for Max's dad, but I don't remember if they can still spectrally recharge from that.

I think it was mentioned that if a spirit possessed a non-spectral, then they would slowly get turned into a spectral. But I can't remember where that was stated, so I might be full of it.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Hmm. Spirit Fusion apparently turns you into a Luchador. I can get behind this.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That lady has a heart on her tie. And in her hair bun. Crazy

Don't forget her left ear.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Roland Jones posted:

Boss Leader, are you deliberately recruiting losers or does it just happen?

Well, besides the narrative explanation that is it leads to a more interesting cast. It should be considered that every one of them is either host to or a faucet of energy for a weird spirit being. Personality quirks while maybe not required are probably drat well likely for spectrals.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Oxxidation posted:

If fuckups were a science then Spender would be Tesla.

It's one of the reasons I like Spender as a character. You don't often see a combination of anime antihero/huge nerd/bumbling idiot.
He tries to pull off the whole morally ambiguous hero role. And from what we've seen so far I don't think he's maliciously evil.

And yet, he might perform evil actions because of his bad choices and poor decision making skills.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

A big flaming stink posted:

so, after nearly getting killed several times over, and having seen that the adult supervision is a complete moron, why on earth would Max stay in the Activity Club after this?

Ya, as others mentioned I don't think Max has a choice here. He's not going to stop seeing and being affected by spirits, so he needs to learn how to deal with all these important details. (Such as what would have happened if he took a trip in a car outside Mayview)

Now, if he'll remain accommodating to Spender's crap is another issue entirely.

Edit: Also mentioned in the comments is the fact that Paranatural got a cameo in Three Panel Soul today

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 13, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Kgummy posted:

Oh and if Agent Day has good enough intel, and asks who Isaac is right in front of Max, if Isaac's existence really is being kept secret from BL.

It's the other way around. Boss Leader knows who Issac is. It's Issac who is restricted from information.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

Does it? Whose point of view are we seeing from? Maybe RJ was taking a photo of a giant flying train.

I think it's less that and more that they walked through the Mayview barrier in panel 4.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Tollymain posted:

Stephen's the brain(problems) of the group, Ollie's the brawn, but Johnny's the HEART, man

While it doesn't fit, I think Ollie's also somewhat the brain of the group as well.

I actually really like Ollie. He's the hulking muscly brute sterotype, but he's actually demonstrated that he's in no way stupid.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Tollymain posted:

i was going to call him the brains and the brawn but i had to do the joke about stephen so

Ya, I understand. I was mostly just using your comment to state what I like about Ollie as a side character.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

scalded schlong posted:

He didn't destroy the stowaway, did he? He plinked it, presumably it respawned, then he got caught up being tsundere with Forge.

Stop lying all the time, Rick :saddowns:

In addition, I don't think Spender even knows that the stowaways respawn. He hasn't spoken to the kids about it yet, and his whole encounter with Forge was a setup.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Well now, this is the first time Isabel has voiced opinion on Spender. Interesting to get her perspective.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

wouldn't that make her an incredible investigator and interrogator since she'd be able to get the truth out of anyone by making people fall in love with her then asking them what they're doing?

Ya, her power is particularly suited for gathering information from people.
Also, while it might be part of her character, I'm not positive yet that the naivety isn't just an act.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
A great page to come back with. Lots of great details here, but I think my favorite part is that these guys are dressed sorta like a death cult.

And now we finally understand, because we are smarter.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Okay, I wasn't going to jump on the Francisco's a overbearing dick thing last page. But come on man, at least ask for enough of an explanation to find out your granddaugther is bleeding from a bite mark.

On a plus note, I doubt spirit bites carry diseases/bacteria. Still possible to get infected, but probably as not as bad.

By the way, in case no one mentioned it. Zach says in the comment that he's taking a 3 week or so break and we'll be on guest comics until then.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Cat Mattress posted:

What about ghost bacteria and microbial spirits?

Well, I would assume a spectral could prevent spirit bacteria from multiplying too rapidly. Either that or maybe Chapter 6 is going to be about dealing with ghost-rabies. (Yes, I know, virus, not bacteria. Joke ha ha)

My fundamental point here is that I think Fransico is a jackass. I'd feel a bit more for him if he was lecturing while also bandaging her arm. Could at least understand him being overbearing if he was actually worried about her safety.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

SlothfulCobra posted:

He didn't see, it was under her jacket. She probably isn't going to bother showing him, either. Isabel's a tough kid, for better or worse. Her grandpa pushes her, and this is what happens.

Yes, it's true she probably didn't bother showing it too him. But he also didn't really ask if she was alright. So that's a pretty good view of their relationship.
Grandpa pushes her hard, doesn't show much concern for her well-being, thus she doesn't share stuff like when she's injured. And that's what further soured my view of Francisco.

Also, if this was real life untreated animal bites can turn really nasty/dangerous fairly rapidly.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

At least, that's probably how Isabel sees it, which is why she hid it. Maybe Francisco really does have a softer side and really does care about Isabel, but the way he's hidden it has left their relationship looking like this.

Ya, that's pretty much how it is. My initial comment on it was that in the previous page everyone was saying Francisco was overbearing and a jerk. I didn't comment on that at the time, because I didn't really agree, since I grew up with lectures for so many things from one of my parents.

But the fact that she was injured and that it didn't come up/she didn't trust him enough to mention it made me realize I was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
On an unrelated note. "Buff Baby"