Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tollymain posted:

arent the only other sapient creatures running around senet beasts?

seriously what the hell is the deal w the lizard-people existing

Senet beasts are a different deal than the lizards, they generate their own mini-khert. Two-toes are under the jurisdiction of the normal/human-centric khert, they just... sort of don't get their memories processed by it after they die.

Except maybe Prakhuta, now, thanks to Delicieu's work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tollymain posted:

did the world undergo an evolutionary phase? maybe the lizards were just a freak accident

Official paleontology is that the gods experimented and worked towards what they ultimately wanted to create, with humans being the pinnacle of their achievement before Ssael ganked their asses.

What does this mean for the two-toes? Maybe they were a prototype for ensoulment? Maybe they were an accident, or an inspirational accident? Maybe Kasslynian paleontologists are completely full of poo poo?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

The water girl who helped Duane seems sapient as well.

Yeah, most of the senet beasts that are particularly story-relevant are sapient. which makes sense, there's only so much mileage you can get out of the tree-whatsit or the storm brothers or even the waterbabies, compared to a particularly smart/humaboo waterwoman or, say, a mind-eating snakeman who just couped the foremost league of mad scientists on Kasslyne.

Relatedly, Ash noted that Timofey sticking up to Ruckmearkha took some bravery, since Ruck sticking his personal-khert-fielded talon in Timofey's ghostly innards and swirling it around would be... not great.

Such fragile little wonders.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ufal doesn't like Karl one bit either

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

Anonymous asked: Around how long have the Beadmans been in control of Sharteshane?

They bought their noble title sixty years ago - that would have been Jab’s legendary grandfather - and they’ve had their own king for twenty years. They’re on number four.

One more reason why the Mustache so enthusiastically doesn't give one single gently caress about what his subjects get up to in their own time.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

It's their testicles, actually.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

It's interesting here because I'm pretty sure whatever Sonorie is planning would be the end of the Aldish caste system and possibly the Dammakhert, so it's a type of cultural genocide she's after, whereas the silver eel is really just regular old garden variety genocide, which is what Bell is after.

I no longer think Sonorie is running her own rebellion on the side, though. Ruck snacked on Bell either on his own or at the behest of someone else (right now I think it was probably option two, and the person in question was Jab Beadman.)

That's a plausible theory, especially given his involvement in whacking Rilursa. Evil Abraham Lincoln is a pretty enjoyable villain anyway.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Yeah, Jab was pretty clearly happy with Alerode and Cresce's cold war scenario, and is unhappy at it turning into a hot war. He prefers the status quo, but he knows Sonorie's up to some poo poo; what he doesn't know is what's happening in Alderode. Jab is definitely on the side of Bell's rebellion and plot to overthrow the Sonories. I'm just not sure the timeline works out - Sonorie and Roger wake Ruck, connect him to the blacktongues and start experimenting with Ruck's venom/Roger's memories/Blacktongue soul mapping. Ruck presumably finds out about Duane during this time, since Bastion made Duane and probably left his research all over Juste. Ruck goes to Sharteshane trying to track Duane down, where he meets Jab, who hooks him up with Chorley and sends him back to Juste. Ilganyag has abandoned the Blacktongues by this point and they're desperate for a new Senet beast leader. Right around that time, Bastion comes back and the other Blacktongues kill their current human leader, with Ruck taking over at the behest of Darkest Paul.

So timeline wise, it seems difficult to believe that Ruck bit Bell to incentivize the rebellion at Jab's behest when Ruck hadn't even met Jab until fairly recently in the plot. Bell's plots seem to have been in motion for longer than that. We know Bell's real break with Sonorie came when she refused the silver eel weapon, but he was probably unhappy long before that. His "religious experience," which I am 95% sure was being bitten by Ruck, seems to have happened right around the same time she refused the eel (though obviously it could have happened earlier)
: http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch12/ch12_31.html

So it might have been that Ruck was already loving with him at that point of his own accord, and Jab Beadman's just hopping on the Crescian rebellion bandwagon that Ruck was already driving.

comedy option, there are two efheby involved, and given out-of-comic stuff about how even other efheby think Ruck's a creepy weirdo and race traitor, that might not be great for our favorite horrible snakeman

That feels like needlessly multiplying entities, though.

Edit: Ash posted the other day that there are two more pages in this scene and she bets nobody can predict how it ends. I'm going with "Emil and or Elka burst in dramatically".

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 22, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I wish to amend my final page prediction, maybe it'll be Bell praying to the efheby. :3:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Never hesitate to eat a man for the sake of power.

edit: a bit late but arguably NWS

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 25, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Xarbala posted:

Well there goes another patsy

He'll be fine.

Well, maybe not entirely fine, but what's wrong with our second-favorite religious zealot getting that little bit more unstable?

Grognan posted:

ohhh noooooooo

:allears:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Well, based on this ask and the most recent page I no longer think Ruck is working on behalf of Jab Beadman! This implies Ruck is playing his own game, and for stakes much more horrifying than any of the extremely-horrifying stuff that's already happening.

I personally do not have any objections to a mind-eating apex predator being able to alter the minds of human leaders for the purposes of entertainment and of seasoning for future consumption, and I'm not sure why you seem to.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

All shall be fine and all shall be fine and all manner of things shall be fine

:golfclap:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nude Bastion Winalils, hooray!

Also, Fuzzy, add some titties to the ratio.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

The body horror comedy tour is far from over, I see.

quote:

Anonymous asked: Ash, you draw the best body horror <3

<3 This ain’t even the worst thing this chapter though. I had to research for this other thing. I had to construct a model.

...:ohdear:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

More naked Bastion, hooray!

Also, with spoiler tags for potentially significant mechanics spoilers

quote:

Anonymous asked: Are locations in the khert coterminous with landmarks in Kasslyne or does it shift around as it needs to? Like would Duane or Lady Ilganyag need to be near Ethelmik if they wanted to check out the baby forest??

I’ve always wondered why no one ever asked this as it’s a pretty big deal :D

No, the khert is not coterminous with the instantiated world. The only way to make it “stick” is to make a hole between the two, such as was made back in that love hotel room or :siren: as exists at the heart of the Silver Eel. :siren: These breaches are like thorns that snag the khert and freeze it temporarily there in metaphysical space.

:stonk:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 30, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Why don't you try stuffing your wallet up your rear end?

Mild WoG about the... things... in the last panel: they're just khert ghosts, apparently, hanging out on the khert lines. Weird and somewhat creepy looking, but basically just scenery.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Also note the pillow sailing gracefully out the window in the second to last panel.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Found you, Bastion.

lol noted dweeb Darkest Paul gets dunked on yet again

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Oh god, I'm sorry I asked her - Bastion froze that dude's eyeballs

augh augh augh

Only part of them. :colbert:

If he gets basic wright treatment reasonably soon he'll be fine.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

You should have more faith in Delicieu.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Conveniently, Kasslyne's top healer is standing right here.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

I only just realised that woman in the hood is Elka :cripes:

I'm not 100% convinced but I'm not 0% convinced either.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Scream a happy song of every wrong thing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

He wants to survive and have a fun life eating the most interesting minds from these interesting times. Just hibernating for eternity in an empty cave might technically be survival, but it ain't living.

The bit where he hints at his motives is the bit where he wants to eat Sonorie and then she won't be sad or want anything anymore.

I almost entirely agree with this, but if he has a fully functional Ruck Knife he can actually tweak his interesting, tasty meals to generate more interesting scenarios and more tasty meals.

I don't think he has a particularly grand scheme regarding current human politics other than sipping the delicious memories of the leadership, but he has an agenda in using Blacktongue technology to feed his addiction.

edit committing doubleposting crimes to link the update:

double edit also Ruck seems to actually have a greedy, horrific sort of love for his prey until they're all used up, so he very likely actually does want to improve their quality of life by carving away their sorrows and making them more perfect people (who will then generate even more interesting memories)

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 17, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Links on my phone take effort but I think we just found out what Ash had to make a model for. :3:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

The latest pages are really neat.

the "next" arrow on the first one owns

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

The page she posted on Friday also has a retroactive transition animation, so you should skip back to that to see it.

Oh, sweeeeeet

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hey, I know that name.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ash you tease.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cool, there are two undead protagonists in the comic now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not entirely sure what's going on with Anadyne at the moment, but it's probably not the best.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

he just said that bastion never did anything but stand by and watch, and we immediately get a flashback where bastion unsuccessfully tries to do in his teacher to save prakhuta

debates on relative morality aside, his memories are clearly being warped by the pain ghosts in his head

Prakhuta was also quite possibly in a total fugue state at that juncture, assisted by said pain ghosts.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Man, the complaints this page are making me feel like a space alien, I'm enjoying these arcs and feel like the story would be vastly diminished without them.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Three pages today, and ouch.

Good to see Ana taking some concrete steps to change her life. :3:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch13/ch13_109.html

I appreciate that Pantoffel's "attack" command is "mailmen!".

I caught that too. :allears:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

So, Cutter's endgame isn't just to kill all humans, but to destroy their sound and cycle of reincarnation via the khert, right?

Quite likely.

That may not be precisely Ilganyag's plan, though.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 20, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

I think it's likely Ilganyag wants out of the khert, but whether or not that would necessitate destroying it remains to be seen. A really interesting question is why she's trapped there - senet beasts are made of first materials and don't have souls, so she shouldn't be able to interact with the khert at all.

Ruckmearkha also seems to accept I's current state pretty much at face value, although he doesn't seem to have intellectual curiosity so much as enjoy eating intellectual curiosity, so his "she's stuck in the khert forever, very sad, very stupid, i am a better god" bit might not have a huge amount of metaphysical info in it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ruck doesn't destroy the memories, he keeps them around inside himself. What happens when he dies? That's probably an interesting question. Can you harvest memories from a dead efheby?

Also Ash has said we currently have enough in-comic information to correctly guess what's Sette's whole origins / khertweirdness deal. :raise: I'm trying not to read too much into the timing based on Anadyne's transfiguration. We know Sette is treated as a human by the khert for pymaric purposes, not a senet beast or something weirder. Her main strange khert characteristics are heightened detection (which plats have in a different way) and the thing where she dove through Duane's shadow into the khert, which is literally impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Also we know there's more than one Sette, which Minnow told us, and there may be more than one Sette right now - we saw a younger one with Ilganyag while she was watching Ana get hooked into the silver in the first place. And there was that scene when Sette fell into the khert and cut some fetuses loose from a "forest" where they were attached by umbilicals, which they thanked her for - and Minnow said Sette was never happy. Ilganyag was hanging out in fetus-forest, and there's a legend about her where she steals children, but can't suckle them and they always end up dying. Seems pretty likely Sette ties into that story and is connected in a pretty strong way to Ilganyag, and is possibly the inspiration for it in the first place.

I don't remember the Multiple Settes thing, but the second part of that makes a ton of sense. :stare: