Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Reminder that the khert sucks up all memories from dead people's souls.

Note that this is something that Duane is not witnessing himself, but Sette is seeing it in the khert.

Kinda easy to draw some conclusions from that.

That poor two-toe lizard is going to die? That's sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
The snakes (smoke eels) do seem to be important and the writer has talked about them on her formspring/ask.com thing. Without going into that, reread what the dying girl in one of the earlier chapters says about them when Duane finds her. What happened to her also clearer with the plague talk of the last few pages.

Some things seem to come out of nowhere, but have been foreshadowed or even kind of explained long before. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. After all, if you don't recognize it as useful information at the time, and need to read additional stuff outside the story to realize that it is, it just seems out of place.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
Lord Winalils is the weirdo wright who gives Sette the pymaric that allows her to control Duane when he's asleep. It's implied he has something to do with Stockyard and whatever the real reason is to send Sette to Cresce.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
Heh, poor Elan keeps running into the worst situations for someone with a heart condition. First there's what amounts to an EMP to his magical pacemaker, then Elka straight up attacks him out of nowhere to steal his police badge, and now, Elka flips out on him when he's already doing something sneaky.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
The Khert recognizing people as people is necessary for them to be people and for their bodies to work. On the one hand the silver must be fooling the Khert into thinking their missing organs aren't missing for them to still be alive. On the other hand, the first silver itself also messes with the whole recognizing them as people part and so their very existence.
The people in that cart are simultaneously not-dead/people and dead/not-people... Yeah, that can't be fun.

Happy Yeti fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 31, 2014

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
Ashley has mentioned that we're close to the confrontation with Stockyard, which is what this part of the story has been leading up to. The confrontation is probably the halfway mark for book 1.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
Apparently a lot of people have asked about that and Ashley says that it's just incense that makes the place smell like home (Sharteshane and the ocean). So it's probably nothing.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
We never saw it, but 'constructs' were mentioned and compared to Uaid. Toma also said he wanted some next time he went up against the Red Berry Boys, I think.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011

Tollymain posted:

i would do the same, because it would be funny

I don't understand, who would ever joke about that?

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
You're even more deviant than she is!

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
Mostly what Tollymain said. It's actually well known that first materials (like Uaid's clay, Toma's sword, or any pymaric/magic item) have their own khert separate from the one that governs the laws of nature. Since magic works via the normal khert, you can't use it on first materials since you're not affecting their individual khert, making them really handy when fighting wrights (like Toma's sword). What Vienne managed to do was include normal materials in the separate khert of a piece of first material (in this case the millstone getting included in the khert of that green piece of Uaid's clay). This makes it impossible for Quigley to do magic to the millstone.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
The lizards have just informed him his girlfriend is cheating on him and is planning on running off once things cool down a bit.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
Oh right, misremembered their relationship. Well, then it's his closest allies/friends bailing on him.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
This page (http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch09/ch09_49.html) and the next, I think, is what Elan means. Though I don't know why he's only telling Elka this now.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
Oh look, Duane is happy! Three, two, one aaaand ...

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

He has been waiting his whole life to get a vision of the khert. This is very literally him dying and going to heaven.
Yeah, notice he's actually kind of disappointed in a way when the squishes don't eat him, despite saying he has stuff to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011

Axiem posted:

I'm pretty sure that /x/ is not ejective. Are you thinking of /kʼ/?

With the amount of thought she's given into name pronunciation, I'm more than a little disappointed she didn't actually work on real conlangs for the universe—even just a naming language for phonetic/morphemic consistency would be nice.

Tainish is actually fairly developed. She's not Tolkien or whatever, but she has made grammatical and spelling rules for it. There's a short guide for the language in the second book she made, I think.