Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Uh, Sette, you don't look so hot. :ohdear:

No, I do not like this at all. I need happy fun times Sette back as soon as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Fabricated posted:

You'd think more people would have noticed that she didn't age at all if this was some really long period of time like 10-20 years where her appearance didn't change.

They probably have, it's just that they've had no reason to comment on it before. Anyone who's met her since the start of the story hasn't known her long enough to notice, and everyone that knew her before has known her so long that her weirdness is old news.

Agreed about Starfish needing to move into the post-evisceration phase of his lifecycle already, but it looks like this is the last of it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

You forget, this comic is written by Ashley Cope. The untold agony and suffering will be on the next page, duh.

Probably something horrible happening to his little girl, that seems like an easy one.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Christ almighty, Duane looks so happy here.

He's like a Disney protagonist. I'm amazed he didn't burst into song.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Well, he's got a knife, you can't garotte someone from outside stabbing distance, and this looks like it's shaping up to be one of those "everything that could possibly go wrong goes wrong at once" scenarios, so I'm putting my money on "mutual kill".

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Watching these dipshits get eaten by their own doom worms is inordinately satisfying.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Did he just rip Murkoph's skin off? :allears:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Was there not a theory floating around that Sette was some reincarnation or spawn of Tirna's?

Cat Mattress posted:

If Murkoph actually really is Ssael, Duane will completely lose it.

He's in a state of perpetually losing it as it is. Maybe getting the opportunity to punch his god in the face will do him some good.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Delicieu's agent is almost certainly Cutter.

You know, Cutter could be Delicieu himself. He's a psychopath with an obsession with pain and spellcraft other wrights don't recognise. And it'd be the perfect position from which to micromanage the scheme without drawing too much attention.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

For how much he was built up, Stockyard certainly didn't hang around for too long.

Eh, he's been around for what, two chapters? Out of ten? It's a fair wodge.

I was surprised, actually, on reread, to discover how long we've been in this city. It's been about half the comic.

e:

Skippy McPants posted:

Must you go straight to the gallows humor?

:geno:

Well, gently caress.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Quantum Finger posted:

also thank you BSS for introducing me to this terrible, beautiful piece of art to which I am now addicted.

Just in time for the month-long end of chapter break! :haw:

VictorGrunn posted:

And for anyone going with the Cutter = Delicieu theory - unless they waived the tongue tattoo for him, that doesn't seem likely.

Could be a glamour. :shrug:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

"Gods. We are proper hosed."

Now you are working this out?

e: I hope Anadyne makes it out of this, at least.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Of all the people who could have survived this clusterfuck :cripes:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Specifically, the faces of the prisoners injected with silver.

If I'm reading Cutter's monologue right, not even death is now a release for them. The silver is keeping their conscious souls intact instead of letting them scatter and disperse into the Khert.

Well, Delicieu's assertion is that dispersal into the Khert wasn't a release for them either.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Unsounded is a webcomic full of beautiful pages, but this might be the most beautiful yet:

Also: Boo did something! Sette's intervention worked!

I love it when she gets something right.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Yeah, I always thought I had a pretty good bead on the flow of the action, but these last couple pages have completely lost me at points.

Cope isn't particularly happy with it either, it seems, so you're not alone.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

It's a palette problem, I tell ya. The only contrast in here is the occasional flash of yellow/blue/green and there's precious little of any of those.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

So long as she's actually Nary's daughter (there's a non-zero chance he found her under a rosebush, I guess, but then he wouldn't get so pissed about having to look after her, he'd just chuck her out), I don't think she can be much older than... mid-thirties? Mid-twenties, probably. I reckon she's a similar age to Anadyne and Stockyard.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, that's a silver-possessed corpse right there. Which technically means he still might return, just, the part to worry about is less the "Starfish" part and more the "silver-possessed" one; that thing is still going, despite everything that happened and Delicieau possibly being blinded. And it seems to be carrying Ana and Knock-Me-Down off with it, so, sucks to be them.

Regular flavour Starfish was bad enough, silver zombie Starfish is going to be a right sack of dicks.

Roland Jones posted:

Winalils, the guy who (I think?) reanimated Duane, or at least has something to do with his past. We've seen him in a flashback or two.

Ja, though he's never looked so Anime Fabulous before.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

akulanization posted:

doesn't even feature a single thing we've seen before

Jivi's on it, and that could be the Queen, who we haven't seen but has been a major background character for a while.

Chill dude, you'll get your REAL PAGE tomorrow.

(it will be 100% scene-setting with no dialogue)

e: That's not Jivi, that's just the outfit he was wearing. What was that, a school uniform?

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 16, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :allears:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Next time on Unsounded: Will Mathis Quigley kill someone?

(Probably.)

There are at least two wrights in there who can and have kicked his rear end and neither is much interested in seeing him kill Rahm.

But maybe he'll get a lucky shot in, who knows.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

RolandTower posted:

I learned the word "palimpsest" sometime in high school and thought it was such a lovely poetic word.

:crossarms:

It sounds like a medical condition to me.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

kinmik posted:

Chapter 12 has begun!

Let me level with everyone, I have completely been thrown out of the loop and have no idea what is going on in the first few pages. I need to go back and reread errything from the beginning.

I'm not sure that'll help you much. That's an in media res open, it doesn't directly follow from anything we've seen before. The battle might be "the fighting near Earlstradt" ("The hell are they after-?" "The Alds are following rumours of a hidden construct facility") that Winalis refers to. Or it might just be indicating a general escalation of the cold war. It's definitely Crescians fighting someone.

The current bit is Winalis picking through the ruins of Ethelmik (which was destroyed by the Peaceguard at the end of the last chapter) and whining about how badly everything's blowing up in his face.

I do like that Cope's decided to depict her war between magitek superpowers as Properly Weird™.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I only just noticed those dogs are floral print :allears:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

If I was going for Setty I'd probably stick a ' in there like Set'te, problem is that poo poo visually looks pretentious and unrealistic when applied to the context of mealy mouthed criminal dock-whalloping sharts. Problem is making it 'setty' and 'Do-yane-uh' or whatever basically already sounds like a bad case of 'standard fantasy naming' especially when they're next to 'Matty' and 'Quigley' and 'Jivi' which are all pretty drat good names.

Cat Mattress posted:

Sette could have been Settie.

People, come on. You're only finding this strange because English orthography has this strange fetish for silent terminal Es. Reading "Sette" as "Se-te" is probably the most natural interpretation of that string. I mean, I suspect Cope didn't intend for that "t" to be geminate, so the second should probably be dropped. But there's really no good reason to replicate English's bizarre orthographical contortions in your fantasy conlangs.

If anything, I think if you're going to lean hard into that poo poo you should probably do the exact opposite. Readers already have such a difficult time with made up fantasy words, you really want to use the simplest, most straightforward, most rigorously consistent orthography you can construct.

Of course, Cope then proceeds to stick a silent e on the end of "Duane" so gently caress it all I guess nothing matters. :geno:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

"We are good and civilised men! We do not commit murder until we have voted to do so!"

I can only imagine the glee with which Cope penned that line. :allears:

JuniperCake posted:

There is an older definition for the word that specifically refers it to theft/abduction including the theft of one's spouse. Snake dude is a total creep though so it could be either way.

Sort of a worthless interjection, but usually if an author wants to invoke that sense they go for the "rapine" form.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Goodbye Bastion :sadwave:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Cope seems to want us to read this as a caring gesture:

http://unsoundedcomic.tumblr.com/post/164595874200/so-i-assume-sette-is-the-one-who-said-predators

quote:

Anonymous asked: So I assume Sette is the one who said "predators don't die old" to activate the spellery, that right?

Yep. She saw the little lion tail on her name, got suspicious, gave it a good, deep sniff, and woah! Da snuck her a message!

I saw a bit of grumbling about what a coincidence this is, and it kind of is, but it’s important to ask yourself just how important it is. And it’s not, really, unless you are floundering, lonely, uncertain Sette. Nary going to great lengths to reassure his daughter when he suspected she might need the reassurance must have been an act of pure decency rather than cunning because the chances of her never finding this letter were fairly high. It contained no important instructions, no carefully guarded secrets. It was a pat on the head and an encouraging kick in the tail that it wasn’t necessary for him to provide at all.

Also: Nary-style_dadding.png

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Interesting, I guess Minnow has met Sette before but not this Sette?

Basically just confirmation that Sette is Tirna or one of the lions that killed Ssael or some other holy thing incarnated.

Oh Duane. You really need to pay attention to what's going on around you.

e: though the first time we saw Minnow so interested in Sette I had this wild idea she was Sette's mother transformed somehow

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 29, 2018

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

PetraCore posted:

Also, the implication from that scene with Minnow is that Sette might be some sort of senet creature, right?

There are a bunch of theories on the subject of what Sette is. I think my favourite at the minute is that she's Tirna. Her eating from Tirna's offerings and taking her place in the play is suggestive if you're already suspicious (she's also wearing Tirna's colours, I've just noticed).

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Eagerly awaiting the subplot where Duane teaches Sette how to read. Sette feeds Jivi his still-beating heart.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

That pitiful attempt at a beard does not suit General Treacherous at all

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I only just realised that woman in the hood is Elka :cripes:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Nettle Soup posted:

I enjoy this comic and read it every time it updates but I have 0 clue what's going on I'll be honest.

Do a reread. It works a lot better as a whole than it does as a serial.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Knock's a treasure

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Wow, I really did not need to see a close up of some guy's thighs covered in rape juices.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Every time we get new "What is Sette's Deal" deets I measure it against the "Sette is Tirna's mortal vessel" theory and every time I come away thinking, "Y'know, it sure does seem like Sette is related to Tirna somehow".

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

There is of course the possibility that the range of lions didn't extend beyond Alderode to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is some of the funniest Duane/Sette interaction in a long time

Losing my poo poo at “do you not want answers?” “NO?!”

man who rolls around in the corpse of his past like a dog in filth vs girl who rips her memories out for fun

also: "chasin' bird hole" is lethal

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 5, 2024