Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mr. Despair posted:

Be careful flexing the nib too much though, it's not really meant to be used as a flex nib. I've heard of people flexing it too much and spreading the tines out a bit.

Good to know, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Pixelante posted:

How are you TWSBI folks enjoying your Vac pens? Definitely going to get a demonstrator in the $80-$100 range sooner or later.

One of my faves.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

grack posted:

TWSBI sucks and I'm pretty sure they support Trump

It wouldn't shock me if Trump were taking foreign contributions.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

My Man Shran posted:

This has to be used by some of the most obnoxious people on the planet.

I want a Sheaffer-sourced Lincoln Taupe let the recipients of my letters know just how I feel about the kids these days.

Not going to lie, but I'd love an ink that was close to Subaru's World Rally Blue Pearl.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Solkanar512 posted:

Not going to lie, but I'd love an ink that was close to Subaru's World Rally Blue Pearl.

My Secret Santa is so cool. :3:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

grack posted:

I have 10 pens inked on my desk right now, but I only bring 1 to work, either my Pilot CH912 or MB149. Depends on how much writing I have to do.

Edit:

Also, new Delta, one of the MarteModena "DolceVita" specials. Boy this pen is about 10 steps down from many of my other Deltas. Not bad for what I paid, though.

That reminds me a great deal of my m600.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I just have to brag that I dropped the nib unit from my VP, bent the nib over, and was able to actually fix it (including tine alignment) as far as I can see under a 30x loupe. Writes just as smoothly as it did before, no ink leaking overnight either.

The scariest part was bringing the tines back together though, crossing them didn't come very naturally.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So what is the goon consensus on the Wing Sung 698 and 3008 pens? I love my clear demonstrator pens but I hate how my TWSBIs kept cracking and breaking under random strain.

Or is the Moonman M2 the new hotness now?

EDIT: I really loved my blue TWSBI Vav 700, are they still doing repairs?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 12, 2018

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

grack posted:

My PenBBS collection is slowly but surely creeping up on my Delta collection.

Gonna have to get another couple of Deltas

Those PenBBS pens are great, where is the easiest place to buy them, eBay?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

areyoucontagious posted:

Ok. I love my TWSBI ECO pens. They are awesome and have stub nibs and I enjoy writing with them.

But I want something fancier. Something ornate and rich. I was unironically looking at the Montegrappa GoT pens and the Lannister/Targaryen pens really caught my eye. I’m looking for something stylish, but not necessarily ostentatious (those GoT pens tread that line, which why I’m looking for something close but different). I have a budget of 100-300 dollars. I’d like a gold nib and a fine point.

I’m really just looking for image dumps of beautiful pens, so go for it if you want to image dump.

LOL $285 for a loving steel nib and cartridge converter? Christ.

EDIT: If you like the look and whatnot of the pen, I totally get that. It's just for that price you could get a Pelikan M800.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 3, 2018

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

howe_sam posted:

I think it also depends on the pen and how it's made. Since 280 is about what most of the custom pen turners like Edison, Newton Pens, Carolina Pen Co etc charge for a steel nib C&C pen, but with them you're getting a largely hand made pen and when looked at through that lens, yeah the cost makes sense. Plus made completely to your specifications.

Wait, is the Montegrappa handmade as well?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So it’s been a long time since I’ve been in here and I just opened up a new TWSBI 580ALR in Prussian Blue. Really great color, and nearly the same color as “Bad Belted Kingfisher”. I jumped in when I saw multiple reviews talk about how the cracking issue had been resolved with some redesigns and new materials.

The grip is finely etched around the circumference so you get a nice grip and otherwise it’s a lovely TWSBI piston-filled pen for around $60. Good luck finding it, most of the stores I checked are out of stock.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

grack posted:

The piston mechanism is going to spontaneously detach and launch itself at your eye. I know because it happened to a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend of mine *nods*

I'll just be over here eyeing Delta #38

You’re right, that will be the perfect time to buy a Vac 700R!

But seriously, any duplicates in that group of 38?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nine of Eight posted:

:yeah

:yeah:

Got my Prussian Blue 580 after being inspired by the goon a few pages up. The ridged grip is really nice.

I love that grip, it’s such a nice touch that I never knew I wanted. Also the end cap has the same ridges on it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Remora posted:

Anecdotal Goulet data point - ordered on the 11th, shipped the 17th, arrived the 19th. Picked up the Jinhao 8802 and a replacement 1.4mm stub for it, and the mint Eco in whatever stub it comes in.

Goulet nib on point as always, but *man* the TWSBI nib was not good. I could actually *feel* the burr on it. Micromesh fixed it, but that was a real disappointment. Are the 580 nibs any better, or did I just get an especially bad Eco nib? I was getting the Eco as a taste-test to see if I wanted to try to poach a Prussian Blue 580 whenever they became available again, and although the rest of the pen feels pretty solid, that was not a good first impression for it to make.

So I would say with my Prussian Blue the nib (fine, Bad Belted Kingfisher) is smooth enough that it flows well across the page with a bit of a tactile response but it’s not silky butter smooth like a medium Pilot Metro or a gold Vanishing Point nib.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I was looking at getting a few of the limited edition Platinum Preppy pens, do the barrels still have cracking issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So what's everyone's favorite replacement for Baystate Blue? I'm looking to focus more on the intense indigo color rather than the sketchiness in certain pens.