Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Diamine Dragon Red is pretty cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Fayk posted:

I know some people who prefer Zebra Sarasa/etc gel pens to things like the Pilot G-2.

I have no idea why anyone would use a ballpoint when they can use something like a G2/etc. Ever.

I like the Pilot G2 a lot. For times when I can't use a FP, that was my go-to pen. Until I picked up the Zebra Sarasa Clip in Japan last spring. Those are some of the best cheap gel pens I've ever used. Unfortunately they don't sell them in the US, where I live. They sell a "Sarasa" but it's crap compared to the "Sarasa Clip"

On topic; Has anyone used the Sailor "Jentle" line of inks. I love the Blue-Black but it has this plastic ink reservoir inside that is supposed to make sure you can always draw ink until the last drop is gone. I never had a problem with it until I tried to fill my Platinum 3776 the other day. It seems the fill hole is so high up on the feed I can barely draw any ink. Before I make a mess and waste ink, does anyone know if I can take that reservoir out of the bottle?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Only the Rhodia Webbies use Clairfontaine paper as far as I know. I have some other Rhodia products and the paper is decent, but not in the same league as the Webby.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

The Sailor Hi Ace Neo is pretty slim and classic looking too. I picked one up in Japan for about $8 USD. Even from an importer they are under $20. You get that nice Sailor nib and a EF line if you are into that.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I think you guys are pretty off base on the Noodler's pens. Nathan just wanted to make an inexpensive eyedropper that is totally user servicable. They are designed by him and built in India because he couldn't find anyone else who would build them to his liking. They are not a rebranded anything.

I have a number of Ahabs and Konrads and they all work fine. I enjoyed tweaking them to work exactly how I want. I have two Safari's that collect dust because I've never gotten an enjoyable experience from them no matter what nibs I swap in. My ebonite Konrad is always in my pen case right beside a lot of more expensive pens. I don't think the Noodler's pens are ideal for raw beginners or anyone who has no interest in the mechanics of fountain pens. If you go strictly by internet complaining, I don't think there is any pen model worth getting.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

The black-nibbed pen that comes with Heart of Darkness is not an Ahab. It's a Platinum Preppy, a $3 pen from Japan that's been lightly modified for use as an eyedropper fill. Noodler's pens have silver-colored steel nibs and are made from a pretty tough resin.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I usually post my pens unless they are specifically designed not to be posted, such as the TWSBI 540.
Also, for a Blue-Black, I've settled on Sailor Jentle Blue-Black as my favorite. Nice flow and color.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Nice. I have almost every TWSBI model so I'm holding out on the 580 until they announce some colors. If they do it in green, I will have it!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

That looks like a retractable dip pen. Where is the ink stored?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I took two flights yesterday with my TWSBI Mini. As an experiment, I filled it completely, using the TWSBI bottle, then turned the piston enough to get the last air out, then I put the cap on tightly. I don't think the cap is air tight but, just in case. The pen rode in my carry on bag the whole way. After arriving at my destination, I checked it carefully and... Not a single drop escaped. The pen wrote perfectly as well. So, it seems that if you can get the air out, fountain pens travel pretty well. I usually empty pens before flights but I did have one leak badly when I went to the top of Mauna Kea in Hawaii last year.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

SnakesRevenge posted:

Gouletpens.com just started selling a full range of nibs that will fit that pen, should you fail to get it working again by trying to bend things back into shape. That'll probably be your easiest option, though it'll only save you a few dollars over just buying a new Ahab.

Also of note, the Goulet nibs are not flex, so your writing experience will be different.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

You tear pages out of your Rhodia?
I'm cringing.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Nask26 posted:

My initial plan was to get a Safari but my budget changed a little bit. Do you think getting a Twsbi 580 is a good first pen? I planned on getting the inkwell for it also.

Get the 580. I wish I'd gotten a TWSBI as my first pen and not wasted money on all those cheaper pens that I don't use any more.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I bought a steel #6 1.5 stub nib from Goulet Pens to try out. I heard that the TWSBI Micarta takes that size and, although I like the Micarta, the nib is quite a nail and never really appealed to me enough to use it regularly. The nib fit perfectly and it lays down a silky, wet line. The Micarta will definitely go back into my regular rotation with this nib.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

angerbot posted:

That's a nice pen but I'm not at all sure about the tucking great price and Ahab titted with that nib.

I think it's tabulous!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Xachariah posted:

Uhh, this is confusing 'cause mine seems like a pretty dark red:

It looks like a dark pink to me in that pic.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

New toy time!
My Platinum Celluloid Green 3776 with broad nib is my very favorite pen. I've wanted to try another Platinum and I snagged this Black 3776 with Music Nib on ebay for a decent price. I've wanted to try a music nib as well. In the little bit I've tested it, it's silky smooth like the other is but lays down a wider line. It doesn't really have the line variation like an italic or stub, it's more like a European broad, or maybe Japanese double broad. So far I'm pleased with the purchase.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Brightman posted:

Edit: We really need someone who's going to Japan anyway with space in a checked bagged for ink...an ink mule.

When I went last spring I got several bottles of Iroshizuku for the equivalent of 15 USD at Tokyu Hands. The exchange rate is loads better now. I need to go back soon.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

shadysight posted:

I've had very mixed feelings about it since then. I still like the flex nib, even if it is a little more stiff than I'd like, but the pen is designed a little oddly. If you look at the red cap at the end, twisting that off exposes the knob to turn the piston to fill the pen. Twisting the cap in a slightly different way will unscrew the entire piston system, giving you another way to fill the pen up.

However, not having the piston screwed in right will leave an air gap, and result in all the ink dripping right out of your pen. So the normal use of the cap to cover and uncover the piston knob can also result in your pen being set to unexpectedly spewing ink everywhere. This already happened to me once in the first week of using it. It sat around for awhile then until I decided I'd throw you silicone grease in the threads for unscrewing the piston to help the seal, and hope for the best.

I still like it, but unfortunately I still have a lot of trepidation taking it anywhere, lest I end up with a huge mess and no pen again.

I have a couple of Konrads, an ebonite and a resin model, and I've never experienced this with either. They are always in my soft pen case so I hope I don't open it one day to see an ink massacre!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Like any web forum on any subject, 1 person with a problem will make more noise than 1000 without.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

zerox147o posted:

So I have a 4 hour layover in Tokyo next week on my way back from a business trip. If I have any remaining room in my luggage that is not filled with tobacco and I can find someplace selling Iroshizuku inks I will grab a bunch of jars to post here without the cost-tripling shipping rates. I'll likely grab a few assorted colors for myself, and a few extra blues and blacks to post here unless there is a specific shade there is a high demand for.

Well, if you can get out of the airport, find a nearby Tokyu Hands shop. They had a full range of Iroshizuku for 1500JPY last year when I went. The exchange rate is much much better now than it was then too. In Narita Airport the only pen places were carrying the expensive luxury items. I picked up a 5 pack of Preppies in a gift shop there for pretty cheap once when I was first getting into pens.

I plan to make a trip to Japan in a few months and I always come back with a lot more than I arrive with so I take a bigger suitcase than I need.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I got an order from Gouletpens today. A Monteverde Intima in Neon Green and a bottle of Rohrer & Klingner Alt-goldgrun.
I like them both so far! The ink looks more gold in the photos than on the paper. The writing is in a Clairefontaine notebook in which everything takes a long time to dry, but I expect it so it's not an issue.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Brightman posted:

Actually the person I'm more wondering about for this is RustedChrome, can he pass up a banded malachite pen? What about one made of jade? Or gaspeite? More green pens for the green pen god :getin:

I'm a bad person.

I certainly looked closely at those. I like the stone idea, but the shape and chrome hardware really turn me away. Somehow it reminds me of bed rails from a cheesy Las Vegas love suite, not that I frequent such places. :D

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Kessel posted:

I may be alone here but I think that while Clairefontaine paper is very nice, you are paying a lot when you can get comparable or better paper for less cost from a Japanese maker.

For instance, Kokuyo makes a line of notebooks with paper it calls Mio. http://www.jetpens.com/search?q=kokuyo+mio They're cheaper than Clairefontaine sheet for sheet and the paper is of a ridiculously high quality - I use these daily and get zero bleeding or feathering even with the very wet Visconti HS nib and a wet-flowing ink.

Moleskine paper is, as you've mentioned, overpriced bullshit and you shouldn't get Moleskines.

edit - forgot to mention. If you're really hardcore about your paper you can get Cyo-bo from Kokuyo: http://www.jetpens.com/search?q=kokuyo+cyo-bo gets you 100g paper (Clairefontaine is 90g), the texture of which is difficult to describe beyond "man this paper feels and writes expensive."

Hey Kessel, I'm in Japan right now. Do you know any retailers in the Tokyo area who carry these notebooks, or if I can get Tomoe River paper in a shop anywhere?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Kessel posted:

Cyo-bo paper is harder to find, I think, but even the not-that-large mall bookstore in the smaller town where I live has Mio notebooks out the wazoo. I don't think you'll have to go to any specific store; probably any of the larger department stores will have a stationery section that stocks the notebooks.

Less idea on the latter. As far as I can remember, Tomoegawa is just the company that produces the paper, which is then sold to a bunch of higher-end notebook and diary makers here (because personal planners and diaries are a thing in Japan) for use in their notebooks. I know that Tomoegawa does make their own notebooks but I've never noticed one in the stores.

edit - one of the best places to get stationery in Tokyo is Ito-ya's Ginza store. 11 floors of poo poo you've never heard of, handmade paper, special fountain pens sold nowhere else, the works.
official site: http://www.ito-ya.co.jp/store/itoya/ginza/
google maps: search for "ito-ya ginza". it should be near Tokyo station.

Thanks, I've been to a few stationary departments but didn't know to look for "Mio." There was so much other stuff to see/buy. The Ginza Ito-ya is on my list. I went to the one inside the Ikebukuro Tobu and even it puts everything to shame in the states. The Nakaya fountain pens there make me want to totally blow my budget.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Japan Trip Report, Or "I Went On Vacation and Picked Up a Couple of Sailors"

I recently returned from 3 weeks in Japan. Whenever I had a free moment, I would check out the stationary shops and pen stores. It's truly a writing wonderland but, I already have more pens than I can use so I tried not to go too crazy.

A lot of the big department stores have big stationary departments. I got a variety of notebooks and paper that seem to be fountain pen friendly and also cool looking. There were a few inks I've been wanting and, since they are cheaper in Japan than in the States, I got a few.

I spotted this "Sailor Clear Candy" in the cheap pen section. It was green and only about $6 so I had no excuse to pass it up. The plain steel F-2 nib is a really nice writer. I also like the blue snowflake on the cap.

I went to the legendary "Itoya" stationary shop in Ginza, Tokyo. Their 9 floor store is being renovated so they are currently in two separate 6 floor buildings. There is "Itoya" which has standard pens and office supplies and "K Itoya" which has the nice pens, stationary and art supplies. I got a nice case/bag for my iPad at Itoya and then went around the corner to K.

The first floor there is nothing but displays of fountain pens (and a few matching ballpoints but let's pretend those don't exist) There were a few Japanese pens I've been wanting to check out in person before shelling out (to me) a lot of money for them. My Japanese speaking is not great, but I can usually shop with no problems. I know that Itoya gets a lot of foreign customers so I played it cool, hoping that they have a staff member who handles English speakers. I was checking out the shelf of inks when a saleslady noticed and brought me a book that had writing samples of every ink they sell. That's a great idea since, as we all know, the color on the label is not usually what you get on the page.

I finally got up the nerve to browse the pens. Probably 75% of the inventory is European pens, since that seems the be what the big spenders in Japan want to spend money on. I went to a pen show in Tokyo last year and saw something like 90% German pens there. I have owned a Sailor 1911 Standard Demonstrator for a few years and I really love the pen. I really wanted to try a pen with a larger body and a bigger nib. As I've gotten more into fountain pens, my taste has changed and I now enjoy the act of putting down a juicy, broad line when I write. I told the (different) sales lady I was interested in the Sailors in black with silver trim. She showed me the Pro Gear and the 1911 Large models. She then provided a notepad and inked the nibs so I could try them out. The nibs look different on the two pens but both were 21k and as smooth as silk. The 1911 had an F nib so I asked to try one with a B. She found another color with the B nib and let me try that one too. The writing experience was identical, Sailor is known for the great quality of their nibs so it was down to what style I prefer. I decided I really like the flat top style of the Pro Gear with the cool anchor logo so I went with that one. I was surprised that it doesn't come with the converter, I had to buy it for about $5 extra. The staff there was very nice and knowledgeable and I highly recommend going there if you find yourself in Tokyo. With the current exchange rate, both pens were cheaper than I've even seen them selling online in the US. Knowing some Japanese made things a little easier but I'm sure they will take whatever time they need with you even if you don't speak a word.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I like inking up pens and using different colors so converters are perfect for me.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Speaking of bloody reds, I'm liking my Sailor Jentle Grenade. It dries to a dark red with my 1.1 stub. The smears show a pink color but the writing does not show nearly the pink shade as this photo does.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

GabrielAisling posted:

Is it a terrible idea to stick some Noodlers HOD in an old India Ink bottle for pen-filling purposes, so long as I've washed out the bottle really, really well? I've got an ancient bottle I got at Walmart in middle school that seems like a much better depth for pen-filling than the big honking eyedropper bottle the HOD comes in.

You can use anything to store your ink as long as it's clean and airtight. When my HOD bottle was about 2/3 full it was getting hard to use so I put it in an empty Iroshizuku bottle I bought from Goulet's.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Captain Postal posted:

Is there a solution I should be looking into to still have the fountain-pen-goodness but without the mess? Should I try an inkwell (warning: I'm a bit of a clutz)? Find a pen with a different filling mechanism? What should I be researching?

If you don't want to dunk your pen, or syringe fill, that leaves the nifty TWSBI filling bottle system. It works great, but only with their pens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmVilb_m0Y4

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

The Lamy 2000 is a retractible pen that some like. The quality control seems quite iffy on them however.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

blowfish posted:

It's not actually retractable, unless you are talking about the piston or something :confused:

Sorry, I meant the Dialog.
One of those metal pointy things, you know.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

TopherCStone posted:

That's a gorgeous pen :syoon:

Just make sure you buy it from a dealer who will let you return it if the nib is bad.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I don't think I've heard much positive talk about the Dialog, other than that it looks cool.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

It's been months since my last pen, I'm jonesing!

What's this from my mailbox today?

A pocket pen of some sort?

Well, well, it's a Franklin-Christoph Model 40 Pocket in "Fire & Ice" I loved the looks when I first saw it on their site. It's clear acrylic, like most demonstrators, but they left the interior unpolished. The "ice" models are only available without a clip and I think that's for the best.

It accepts international short cartridges but that's boring when all it needs is a little grease on the threads to be used as an eyedropper filler!

Loaded with blood Diamine "Red Dragon"

I expected it would take a few minutes for the feed to fill and be ready to write but it was flowing well as soon as I screwed it together.
I selected a custom ground Mike Masuyama medium cursive italic nib. This is my first cursive italic so I'll have to learn how to write with it but it's smooth and wet, just how I like them!

This is my first pen from Franklin-Christoph and I'm quite impressed.
http://www.franklin-christoph.com/model-40-pocket.html

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I have a Sailor "Clear Candy" which is their entry level pen for kids. It performs really well and Sailor are known for their nice nibs. I got one in Japan for about 9 USD but if you buy an imported one it's closer to $17. I never tried putting a converter in it so I don't know if it's possible.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Kessel posted:

They do take the standard Sailor converter but they don't have a face on the nib :3:

They don't even have the anchor on the nib. :(
It does come in a lot of varieties at least. If you want a pen that looks like a cow, the Clear Candy has you covered!

"milk", "strawberry milk" and "milk coffee" if you're interested.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Hey guys, heads up that Tomoe River paper is available at JetPens now.
I'm glad there is finally an easy way to get this paper that has been almost impossible to find, even in Japan.
For those not familiar with it: http://penaddict.com/blog/2013/6/3/tomoe-river-paper-review

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

If you are using the same ink, just fill it up again, no need to clean or flush it at all unless it's giving you problems. There should be no buildup or crud if you are using it regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I've carried fp on multiple flights in and out of the US and no TSA agent has even asked about them. My own interactions with Mr. Minuskin lead me to take anything he says with a grain of salt.