Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I really don't have a question, but I gotta brag a little about my latest find.

I'm a "casual" fountain pen enthusiast. So when I see some in a junk shop, I always look them over. Last weekend I bought a 1940's style Parker "51" for five bucks in an antique store. Yeah, $5.00. It has a 1/10 12k gold filled cap and a fine/medium fine nib that was crusty with (yuck) blue ink. I figured it was a basket case for the price but I my plan was to sell the cap. To my surprise, the bulb is in fine shape and with a little distilled water I cleared out most of the blue ink. I have some "QWINK" so I pumped just a little ink into the bulb to see if it would fill, hold and write. It works flawlessly! I love this pen. I could sell it and I need the money, but poo poo I can't do it now.

Here is "GLADYS"

FAKE EDIT: I lied, here are some questions:

This pen was crusty when I got it, but the vacuum bulb seems in good shape, should I be weary of it cracking when having it completely filled?

The bottle of "QWINK" I have is roughly 6 years old and it appears to be fine, will it deteriorate over time? Is it still a good ink to use? When should I replace the ink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Wow, thanks for the quick response. Let's hope this does not start a new bank account draining hobby for me.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Fountain pen fan art. Drawn with a Pentel Kanji Fude Pocket Brush and and a Pentel Aqua brush. Lettering with the new Parker 51.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

CannedMacabre fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 6, 2013

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
The white glove has some merit. When you draw a lot, you know that the oils from your hand can ruin a picture. Not just what you have penciled or inked, but the paper itself can be tainted before you put any medium on the surface. I used to have a white glove with the tips cut off of the thumb, index and middle finger. (You often see Bob Cratchit from A Christmas Carol wearing these.) But now I just lay a piece of printer paper down to keep my hand off my work surface.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

EDIT: Sorry, that is more like 1:50 in there right now.

CannedMacabre fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 7, 2013

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Here is a breakdown.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Also, it is question of personal tastes. I love everything about the old Parker pens, so the Hero pens are right up my alley and dirt cheap.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Just got back from a weekend in Iowa. Apparently, that is where the Shaeffer Pen factory was back in the day, because every second hand store and antique store is FULL of old fountain pens. I stopped into a place called Artifacts in Iowa City that had an impressive selection. If I would have had a larger budget, I would have bought an unused Waterman that was pretty fancy and a really neat old Mont Blanc desk set. They had a bunch of old cartridges and cases too. I had to stick with what I know and bought a Parker "21" pen and pencil set. $30, New old stock.

And here is a Lamy leather case that I picked up too.

So if any of you pen-heads find yourself in Iowa, check out the antique stores for Shaeffers galorem and dirt cheap prices on anything that isn't Shaeffer.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Two things:

Here is my Parker collection.

From left to right, Sonnet (roller ball), Latitude, Latitude, 41, 51, 51 demi, 21 and Vector.
I bought the two Latitudes (one is my father's) when Staples was selling out of their top end Parkers. They were marked down from $80 to $12, I think. The 41 has a cracked barrel unfortunately and is not yet usable. The two 51s are the nicest writing pens I have ever owned. The 21 is, as of yet, unused and has a matching pencil and the Vector is from a calligraphy set and is a great every-day-carry. I love me some Parker pens!

Also, on the note of cleaning, I came across a Koh-i-noor cleaning kit that I bought and forgot a long time ago.
like this one:

You can remove the plastic bits at the end of the bulb. It is nice for cleaning cartridge style pens. The solution is pretty mild and loosens ink pretty well. You can still get this kit for ~$30 at DickBlick or Amazon.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Solkanar512 posted:

Man, I keep checking every antique store I drive by - and yes, if I'm on a road trip I'll stop and ask - and no one has ever had any fountain pens. The owners always give me a funny look and say "nope".

Where do folks get their older pens? eBay? Do my antique shops just suck?

I've bought pens on ebay, antiques stores and even Goodwill. (I shouldn't let this cat out of the bag but shopgoodwill.com has had some impressive old pens come up before.) I live in Illinois and the Sheaffer mfg. plant used to be in Iowa, so every time I go to Iowa I find TONS of pens in the antique and second hand stores. Parkers come cheap in the land of Sheaffer.

Platypus Farm posted:

Ebay is one place, but every antique shop or estate sale around here invariably has a pile of busted rear end old fountain pens that are completely destroyed. Usually there are one or two working ones out of a hundred or more. If you can find those, you're in for some great deals - or if you can find ones that you can easily fix something like a busted gasket on, or a leaking nib you can score that way too. By and large though, you're gonna have to sift through TONS of poo poo to find anything worth getting. Then again, that's pretty much like every second hand store experience ever though.

That's part of the fun. :)

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Obligatory Toast posted:

You could also get a bulb-style nasal aspirator from Amazon or CVS and literally spend far less than half of that.

True. I had one laying around that I had bought on the cheap. The little plastic tips are good for cleaning koh-i-noor technical pens, and the solution is a good mild solvent for neglected ink, but $30 is a bit ridiculous. Oh, and Koh-i-noor Technical pens are a pain to keep clean and functioning. Imagine using a mechanical pencil, taking out the leads and filling it with ink. That's my impression of them.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Oh wow. Been a while since I've visited this thread.

Funny how people take such offence to other's hobbies. I don't personally think there is anything particularly "spergy" or "fedora worthy" in this thread, but then again I've never spent more than $50 on a graphics card for a computer or purchased a brand new game console as an adult.

To each their own. Carry on.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

systran posted:

I actually think calligraphy is really cool, but I've tried to do Chinese calligraphy a few times (like with the dip pens etc.) and if I do the right stroke order it feels awful. Western calligraphy seems pretty cool too, but I don't know if being left-handed is a significant disadvantage for it or not.

Tulip posted:

I got a neon coral Safari and it is fabulous. It's my designated editing pen now (using Noodler's Cactus Fruit).

Sorry i missed this - Chinese calligraphy is 100% about brushes, pens are a very inappropriate tool. The most formal hold for a brush that i was ever taught is straight up and down, so being left handed shouldn't be as much of an impediment in Chinese calligraphy as it is in Western. The biggest trouble would be the right falling strokes, since they involve a sort of twisting/rolling motion.

I mentioned brush pens earlier in the thread. I use a Pentel Kanji Fude to draw with. Nice, cheap ink brush that you can cap and leave for months without drying out.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Can anybody identify what pen this is? I know it's a tiny picture, so it might be really difficult.

And for some reason, here's a much larger picture of the same book, but with a different pen. Can anybody identify that one, too?

EDIT: I just found out that the second pen looks like some Sheaffer Imperial something from the 60s-70s.

Second one is Sheaffer Imperial Touchdown.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

laertes22 posted:

(Of course, I got mine through Engeika, before it was cool :agesilaus: )

Most subjective sentence I've read today.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Speaking of ink wells, I haven't used a dip pen or quill in some time. I generally only do so for drawing (my lettering isn't for the eyes of others.) Is there anyone here that uses them for calligraphy or journal writing?

Of course, if I ever saw somebody with a quill and ink well out in a Starbucks, I'd probably throw hot coffee on them.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Rotrings are like old British motorcycle; unique aesthetic, a pleasure to ride and nearly impossible to keep running.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Found a cheapy at a tractor show flea market:

Real simple design, had some dried blue ink in the cart. Cleaned it out and refilled it with Quink. Writes nice and smooth.

Can't beat that price!

This is not a luxury pen. Feels cheap and has less weight than a Bic ballpoint. No frills. It does perform as it should though and the nib is smooth and even.

Anybody know the model?

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I have a dozen or more, but only half of that are usable. But I buy vintage.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I buy and sell all kinds of junk all the time. So the dozen I have now are 80% different than what I had three months ago. I bought a bag of old advertising pens for $20 and sold two of them for $45 each. Some of the vintage pens sell for ridiculous prices in non-functioning condition.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I love a Parker jotter with a gel rollerball refill.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Hellbeard posted:

Just got me a veritable heap of old stylographs which are technically fountain pens.

There's even more not pictured as I'm working on restoring them to working order and several more that are coming in later. Almost all from used eBay lots that I patiently waited for to come by and go for ultra-low prices.

That's what it looks like after being cleaned. Granted, the insides are more important but they are also very clean after working on them. I used my airbrush on high PSI with cleaning agent to blast the gently caress out of all the petrified ink and residue. I also went through two boxes of q-tips; now it's squeaky clean.

I both love and hate these finicky bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Got another odd-ball to share, not sure that it is too common:

The Diagraph Control Flo Fountain Marking Pencil

What's that? It's a refillable aluminum magic marker:

A large capacity, refillable marker made for (I suppose) warehouse and shipping needs. The white felt nib is pretty large and rounded. It wouldn't be too difficult to shave it into a chisel for use in calligraphic writing.