Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, latest issue TWSBI nibs are winners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DasNasty posted:

I am a complete scrub at fountain pens, so allow me to ask: what is the difference between Italian fountain pens, American fountain pens, Japanese fountain pens, etc.? Also any writing I do is more or less limited to note-taking and the odd open ended problem on an exam, so which nub should I get? I still want my notes to look super pretty :gay:

Japanese Medium or Western Fine for 7mm college rule.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

twinight posted:

Ah hell now I'm caught debating between the Prera M and the TWSBI 580 M. The 580 M nib seems marginally larger than the Prera M. Mostly I'm just worried about the Prera being too short and the modularity of the 580 is kind of attractive. The cap insert on the 580 is a bit more attractive, too, but the color accents of the clear Preras are nice.

Looking at the writing samples from Goulet the Prera is a bit 'flatter' (is that the right word?), seems more even. The 580 has a bit more expression to it just due to ink flow I suppose.

Don't suppose anybody who has written with either (or ideally, both) can comment on the smoothness? Scratchy pens of any variety drive me up the wall.

Aaaa. Why did I ever open this thread?

If you're spending that much, get the 580. The nib on the Prera can be had via Pilot Metropolitan, which is 1/3 the price. The 580 also gives you the option of swapping out the nib unit easily if you feel like using a bold/fine/italic later.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's mostly just him.

Rational self-interest says I should take advantage of his autismally crafted inks.

Welsper fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 26, 2013

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Are you using a CON-20 in it?

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Thelonious Monk posted:

Naturally. Why you ask?

I thought you might be using a CON-50 by how fast you were running out of ink.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cactus-Piss posted:

Okay so my interest is piqued, and I was looking at Pilot/Namiki pens. Now I do not have any real experience with fountain pens so I came here for help. I like I nice sturdy/heavy pen that can do fine lines, and my inquiry is which Pilot/Namiki pen do you guys would best suit me? I have a budget of about $250.00 spare cash.

Pilot Vanishing Point has a brass body and is very sturdy, but has the drawback of not having much of a ink capacity. How much writing are you planning to do?

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You could try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0pNht6vsfE

Here's a guide to relative nib sizes which may help your next pen purchase.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Luisfe posted:

I really, really want to get a bottle of Noodler's Antietam, but Amazon won't ship to Mexico :negative:

Oh well, a relative will probably end up visiting another relatve in the US this year again and I can get it shipped there I guess.

http://www.gouletpens.com/Noodlers_Antietam_Ink_3oz_p/n19013.htm

I'm assuming they do Mexico since I've received packages from them across the pacific.

Folderol posted:

Anyone have a relatively new TWSBI 580? I had sworn off them after dealing with cracking issues on two pens, but the limited capacity I've been dealing with on my Lamy Studio is driving me crazy and I see TWSBI claims to have fixed its issues with a new plastic. Do the new versions hold up or is there still a cracking problem?

I've got a 580, no problems at all.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kim jong-illin posted:

What other converters fit a Pilot Metropolitan? The squeeze bulb one holds far too little ink and requires twice daily refilling (I write constantly at work) and I don't want to make it an eyedropper because I'd rather not run the risk of a leak over original documents or in my pocket.

The only way to get more ink in a Metropolitan would be to refill an ink cartridge, since it doesn't take the larger CON-70 converter.

(Now you have an excuse to troll ebay for a cheap Custom 74.)

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

milpreve posted:

I am really disappointed with the F nib on my Vac 700. I wanted the 1.1, but I wanted the Smoke color more, and that was not an available combo. The F is just not as juicy as I want it to be (Pilot M nibs). I tried the Goulet nib on it, but I still can't get it to write nicely. Any tips?

I ended up switching to a TWSBI issue Broad on my VAC700 and it's suiting my needs well. You could probably just buy a B or 1.1 and reseat the nib and feed in the smoke-coloured section.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Invalid Octopus posted:

Which planner is this?

jomiel posted:

hobonichi techo

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've been using HP 120gsm laser copy paper for annotating lecture notes and Rhodia dot pads for rough work. Most of the Rhodia pads are perforated.

If you need something really cheap, I've had good results with perforated Spirax 70% recycled notebooks.

HP 32lb paper works out at $3.20 per hundred, provided you don't mind buying half a ream at a time.

Welsper fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 21, 2014

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

QuantumNinja posted:

I've heard a lot of people complain about moleskines in the context of fountain pens. I've been using moleskines almost excusively for class notes for half a decade now. Can someone qualify why they garner so much dislike?

Bleedthrough from anything wetter than a dry fine nib.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cactus-Piss posted:

I have an inquiry. Do any of you have experience with the Pilot Custom 845? Also, do any of you have experience with the the FA nib? I was looking at the Vermilion Custom 845 with FA nib, but decided to ask for feedback before I get something and have buyer's remorse.

From what I've read of the #15 FA nib it handles wonderfully for the most part, except the feed can't really keep up on long strokes like you'd find on spencerian script. Look for reviews on the Custom 743 FA.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I always found the wire spirals irritated my hand/arm when I wrote on the back side of the page. Kind of a no win between cloth and wire bound.

I ended up writing my revision notes on loose leaf paper and putting them in either a binder or presentation book.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hellbeard posted:

What's a good flex nib that's not two million dollars, then?

A Namiki Falcon is ~$120 on Amazon; not sure how much that is in hyperbole money, but it's cheap for a gold nib pen.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Joe Videogames posted:

I'm torn between a Schaffer or the Pilot Metro. Help

Buy a Metro if you don't already have a Pilot.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

teraflame posted:

Yeah I was set on buying it until I tried it at a store. The step on the grip to body is sharp and the taper is too narrow for me to hold comfortably.

...I ended up buying a Vanishing Point instead.

You did the right thing.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pienipple posted:

I don't understand how you can write holding the pen like halfway up the barrel instead of on the grip.

Big Hands, for some. Gripping higher can also be a method for reducing downward force. In my highschool tech drawing class we were taught to hold the drafting pencil very high up when drawing ruled lines that would eventually be erased; this produced very light marks that were easy to erase after use.

Welsper fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 11, 2014

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

teraflame posted:

I got my Vanishing Point today with a F nib. Is the writing angle supposed to be really narrow? I get skipping on up and down strokes the way I normally want to hold it.

You'll have to define "way I normally hold it". I've found the best grip that works for my VP is rotated slightly anticlockwise, with the indented section of the clip going slightly under my thumb.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bertrand Hustle posted:

This is the perfect pensperg pen.

TWSBI Pro-tip: On past models it's been possible to mount #5 Pilot nibs on TWSBI feeds.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dino. posted:

Pilot metro

I think the metro fits a #5 nib.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xun posted:

Maybe I'll give up my laptop and write on notebooks that's a good idea, right???

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

rio posted:

What ink is that? :fap:

Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Welsper fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 4, 2014

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I've heard of them being referred to as a "bureau". See if that search term helps.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kessel posted:

A bureau is straight up a desk with drawers, or a dresser-like piece of furniture.

Yes it is, but I've heard of the term being applied more broadly to be an arrangement of drawers/containers for writing.

Such as here

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

milpreve posted:

What's the buzz about the Lamy 2000? Is it really worth it?

Yes.

Welsper fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 4, 2014

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jmcrofts posted:

Not sure if this will get me made fun of in this thread, but does anyone have good recommendations for a good ball-point or gel pen? I use G-2's at work but their performance is spotty sometimes and I want something that's more of something nice that I'll keep around and not just chuck when it runs low on ink.

Fisher Space Pen.

Brass/Steel construction, writes upside down and other nerdy features.

I got this one off ebay for ~$35; I use it whenever I'm writing on a worksite or somewhere a fountain pen would be too fragile.

Welsper fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 8, 2014

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jmcrofts posted:

Can this take refills from normal pens? I don't wanna have to order my ink refills online.

It's got its own carriages, but the pen mechanisms aren't anything special. So if you can find something with the same form factor it could work.

Alternatively you could buy a rollerball and refill it from bottled ink.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Noctone posted:

Or hell why not get a Pilot/Namiki Falcon?

Less capacity than a C74 or L2000.

Also, the Vanishing Point.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is there some advantage to the brass sheet for flossing over a razor blade?

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Missing Donut posted:

The best customer service is the customer service that you never have to contact.

As someone who has built the Lamy 2000 of Theseus, the best customer service is Lamy GmbH

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zadus Rejan posted:

And about the vanishing point from pilot, is there any differences between the one sold in japan and those sold in europe or the us? Because the japanese version can be found form (some time) half the price of the european one.

Nope.

I've seen the Lamy in person; mechanically it's quite interesting, but the size may get to you and the finish is more vulnerable to marks and scuffs. I also managed to crack my Vanishing Point where the clip joins the barrel, but only after ~3 years of continuous use.

You can also buy extra nib units for the Pilot for ~$60. Get a VP.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

grack posted:

You can drat near refill Pilot cartridges by pouring ink straight out of the bottle anyways.

Speaking of Pilot, with the Yen so low I'd like to get a nice Japanese gold nibbed pen in the ~$100-$120 range. I'm considering a Pilot Decimo, Pilot Custom 92, Sailor Pro Gear Slim or a Platinum 3776. I've tried the Falcon (didn't really like it), and I'm not interested in a Lamy 2000, at least not right now.

Thoughts?

Pilot Vanishing Point fits in this range.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mikl posted:

I just got a bottle of Iroshizuku Fuyu-Gaki, and I'm puzzled. It was advertised as "vermillion-red", but it's pretty clearly orange. Not even dark orange, it's pretty light too :v:

Not a bad colour, mind you, just wildly different from what I was expecting.

The best way I've heard it described is "persimmon". Supposedly you can push it into red but you need a fairly wet nib and probably favorable light, paper, etc.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kim jong-illin posted:

Any recommendations for interesting blue-black inks? Needs to lean more towards the black side of things for work but I'd like to get some colour variety beyond just plain black.

Sailor Sailor Sei Boku for a dusty dark blue
Noodler's Aircorp for a black that also leans into green-blue

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone that can recommend inks that are black enough to pass as "black ink" for legal purposes (but that aren't just black)? I've got a bottle of Aircorp Blue-Black to start. Using a medium VP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know where I can get a replacement body for a vanishing point :ohdear: