Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I don't know anything about syringe filling. Do you just use a syringe, punch through the side of your converter/cartridge, and squirt more ink in? Doesn't that cause leaking out the syringe hole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I actually find lighter, but larger, pens are more comfortable for longer writing sessions. I picked up an Online pen from a store in Paris on a vacation a month or so ago, and while I love the way it looks and writes, my hand gets sores after writing more than a few sentences because the pen's so narrow where I grip it.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I've always traveled with them empty, but my understanding is you either need to be empty or full. It's in the middle that you get problems. If it's full, there's not much/any air to expand in your ink reservoir, so none of the ink is pushed out.

I'd still tuck it in a plastic baggie and open it up/use it for the first time near a sink after landing.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

How does the Diamond 580 handle writing if you rotate the pen a bit? I find my less-nice pens are less cooperative when I get sloppy and let my hand rotate a bit and don't write with exactly the bottom part of the nib. (e.g. my Parker Frontier, which I otherwise love)

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks, jerks. I just impulse bought two bottles of Iroshizuku. At this rate I'll have spent more on inks than pens pretty soon...

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I snagged their black and their golden brown. We'll see how they go. I thought about a blue, but I have a noodlers' and a Quink blue-black, plus a noodler's green and burgundy, so I don't really need mroe blues or other colors. I might get a nice red or orange though - the burgundy is nice, but can be a touch pink at times.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Platypus Farm posted:

Assuming the golden-brown is the "bamboo" one, whatever that's called, I wasn't very happy with it. A friend of mine gave me a half-bottle because HE didn't like it, and after a few fills in different pens, I'm not really impressed. I love every single other Iro ink that I've used though. My faves are fuyu-syogun and yama-budo. You have to pronounce the ink names like you're a samurai in a Kurosawa movie for best effect.

It'a Grain of Rice (Ina-Ho), and the black one is Charcoal Bamboo (Take-Sumi). I think I have a minute or two to cancel the brown if it's the one you were unhappy with, and get something else.

:EDIT: Okay, I canceled the Ina-Ho. I'm tempted by the Yama-Budo, but as I said I've already got a bottle of Noodler's Burgundy. Is it significantly superior?

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 28, 2013

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks for the advice on samples. I think I will try a huge sampler pack in a little while. I figure I'll probably be fine with the Iroshizuku Black since I won't have an HoD to compare it with.

Also, I have a vague idea that it'd be easier to clean out of clothing if I should spill a little, and since I have to wear a suit all the time I appreciate not automatically staining everything. Hence the Noodler's "OH MY GOD FORGED CHECKS" line of thought isn't really my favorite.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

That sounds like a delightful place to study. I wish I had that kind of environment to study in, but yeah, I can see why you'd prefer a HoD or something.

For me? If my office floods it's almost certainly a fire sprinkler thing, in which case we hope and pray our off-site electronic backups work. If it's a straight-up water level rise? Then about a million other people are under water and nobody will care about my office.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Zenostein, why do you need to pop the converter off to fill? I almost always fill with a converter just by dipping the nib in the ink and drawing it up through the pen's mechanism. Have I been doing it wrong?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

xilixliadon posted:

If I were to mix up a dark, dark green, like black with green undertones, would it be usable for legal stuffs?

Why not? You can sign in any color ink you want, most of the time.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What do people think about Parker Frontiers? I have a pair that I quite like, and they're in the middle/intro price range as well.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

If I've left my pens sitting, inked, for a little too long (it's been two months or so now), what's the best way to clean them out and get them back to normal? Just run lukewarm/cool water through them for a while? Let them soak?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What's wrong with syringe-filling?

Grab a cartridge, empty it out through use, then use a dull syringe to pull ink from the inkwell & fill the cartridge. I haven't done it, but I assume you just poke through the hole in the tip where the pen accesses the cartridge reservoir. You'd want different cartridges for each color of ink, and I am not sure if you can pick up empty/clean cartridges from somewhere, but that's what I'd try.

(and I totally get your concern about inky hands. I'm in the legal field, and that'd be rather embarrassing, except possibly with really old partners who still hand-write everything)

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I realize it's not a fountain pen, but does anyone have any experience finding or identifying cartridges for ballpoint/other pens? One of my friends received a pen as a graduation present. His parents got it at Liber Venezia, which is apparently a shop in Venice, and the cartridge in the pen has no labels or text he can use to figure out where to get a replacement. The cartridge also has some odd threading, so you thread it into the front part of the pen, then thread the back part of the body over it. (The threading on the cardridge is between the reservoir and the tapered tip bit.)

I can get pictures eventually if they'd help.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

So I've got a couple of fountain pens that I haven't used in about a year; how much work is it to clean them out and get them usable? I think I left them inked when I stopped using them. (It wasn't intentional - I didn't put them in my bag one day and then forgot where I left them...)

Basically, any best practices to clean dried ink out of pens? Just room temperature water & soaking things for a while, or what's the best plan? If it matters it's a pair of Pilot Metros, a Lamy Safari, and a fancy something or other I picked up in Paris.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks for the advice on cleaning pens. I'm working on them now - they don't seem too bad, though it takes a minute for the dried ink to get wet and start flowing.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I forgot how much I liked pretty pens. I had a coworker who is also into pens, and she gave me an orange Monteverde Rodeo Drive that was a little scratch and didn't write particularly well for either of us. Bought a new nib off Goulet and I swapped it out this evening, and now it writes beautifully. I think there's still a little water in the feed though, since the ink I put in there isn't quite as vibrant as I anticipated. (Iroshizuku Yama-Budo purple; it looks gorgeous in the bottle. Maybe the pilot inks are a little watery? Dunno, I'll give it some time.)

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Any advice on how to tweak a nib that doesn’t seem to want to start? I have a monteverde m, but the first strike or two after taking the cap off seems to be a little dry-I need to try twice to write the word or whatever. Once it is going it is super smooth and I like it. Though about a third of my t’s and f’s fade out because it feels a touch dry again. Do I need to fuss with the tines or try a different ink or something? I’m using an iroshizuku ink.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

grack posted:

That sounds like the nib is over polished. It's something that requires micromesh or mylar paper to fix.

Boooooo. So basically just suck it up? That's a shame because it's a brand new nib from Goulet.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I could. Or, and consider this, gently caress that noise.

Even if I had Mylar paper, how do you use it? Should I just get some 30 grit sandpaper instead and write on that for a few days?

Edit again: after poking on the goulet website he recommended someone with a nub that was having trouble starting just dilute the ink with some water to help it flow. Maybe I will try that? Cheaper than starting down the tool collection rabbit hole.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 9, 2018

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

grack posted:

Christ almighty, no. The lowest grit sandpaper you should even consider for use on fountain pens is about 4000 grit (equal to 8000 grit Micromesh).

A lot of hobby and woodworking shops will carry micromesh and mylar paper.

Also, my post was a joke. One sheet of 8000 grit and one sheet of 12000 grit micromesh as well as a good loupe is all you need.

Thanks. I figured it was a joke, but I have plenty of tools to acquire for my other dumb hobbies. (And my wife is already mad about how much space I am already filling in our office...)

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

On a similar note, I'm thinking of finally hopping on the TWSBI train. Does anyone have advice on choosing between the Eco and Go? I'm looking for a pocket pen that can get pretty beat up around the office while still showing off pretty ink colors.

(I'm assuming the TWSBI nibs are reasonable. Right now I find some important features are (1) the smoothness of the write/nib - I hate feeling like I'm writing with something scratchy and (2) the pen not drying out too quickly, since I sometimes go a week or two without using one of my FPs and instead use some cheapo pens around the office.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

A while back someone posted a link to a page with a guide on improving your handwriting. Anyone have that handy? It’s something I’d like to work on.