Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

grack posted:

Read this beauty on FPN yesterday: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/333851-titanium-bock-nib-adjustment/

I'll quote the salient part for you here

I should've just told him to go ahead and use his knife.

I mean... it works. It’s probably going to lead to you scratching up your nib and widening it too much as well, but it’ll increase flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

grack posted:

That sounds like the nib is over polished. It's something that requires micromesh or mylar paper to fix.

Boooooo. So basically just suck it up? That's a shame because it's a brand new nib from Goulet.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

My Lamy Safari has become a daily driver for me with this Pelikan Smoky Quartz ink. Love it.

How often do I need to replace the converter? Like, are they supposed to be thrown out after a specific number of fills, or do I just use it until it somehow stops working?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Drone posted:

My Lamy Safari has become a daily driver for me with this Pelikan Smoky Quartz ink. Love it.

How often do I need to replace the converter? Like, are they supposed to be thrown out after a specific number of fills, or do I just use it until it somehow stops working?

You can just use it until it dies, though most of my converters can be taken apart so if they start getting stuck I just open them up and put some silicone grease on the piston and shaft and that gets it running smooth again.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I misplaced some pens in my office so I clearly need to buy the 2018 Lamy and matching pink. Much better an idea then looking for my pens. :hai:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My Moonman Wancai Mini is out for delivery, not bad for ordering on like Feb 27th.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Arcturas posted:

Boooooo. So basically just suck it up? That's a shame because it's a brand new nib from Goulet.

I mean, IMO pretty much everyone who owns/uses/gives a poo poo about fountain pens should own a BelOMO Triplet and a sheet of micromesh.

:getin: and learn how to make your bad pens good

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
3 grades of micromesh, mylar paper, lapping film, triplet loupe, brass shim stock, japanese waterstone, dremel, and a microscope. So not *that* big of an investment, really.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I could. Or, and consider this, gently caress that noise.

Even if I had Mylar paper, how do you use it? Should I just get some 30 grit sandpaper instead and write on that for a few days?

Edit again: after poking on the goulet website he recommended someone with a nub that was having trouble starting just dilute the ink with some water to help it flow. Maybe I will try that? Cheaper than starting down the tool collection rabbit hole.

Arcturas fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 9, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Christ almighty, no. The lowest grit sandpaper you should even consider for use on fountain pens is about 4000 grit (equal to 8000 grit Micromesh).

A lot of hobby and woodworking shops will carry micromesh and mylar paper.

Also, my post was a joke. One sheet of 8000 grit and one sheet of 12000 grit micromesh as well as a good loupe is all you need.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

grack posted:

Christ almighty, no. The lowest grit sandpaper you should even consider for use on fountain pens is about 4000 grit (equal to 8000 grit Micromesh).

Also, my post was a joke. One sheet of 8000 grit and one sheet of 12000 grit micromesh as well as a good loupe is all you need.

Thanks. I figured it was a joke, but I have plenty of tools to acquire for my other dumb hobbies. (And my wife is already mad about how much space I am already filling in our office...)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Arcturas posted:

Chat with Goulet, they might just exchange it. But having some micromesh/mylar around is nice for doing a very quick 'tune' on scratchy nibs. 'tune' in quotes because I don't really know what I'm doing, I just make a figure 8s, but it seems to help.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Arcturas posted:

Cheaper than starting down the tool collection rabbit hole.
I have some bad news for you . . .

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This is a nice solid feeling little pen, it's also nice that it comes with a dropper to make filling easier, I haven't had a chance to write with it yet the nib has Germany stamped on it and doesn't look messed up at all, so we'll see. The only thing I wish it had was a small clip on the cap.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

grack posted:

Where's the best place to get a loupe?

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I use this one, available from a bunch of sellers. I picked it over the Belomo because of the LED - it's definitely worth having a light.

http://m.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?isRe...146&_mwBanner=1

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dogwood Fleet posted:

An inexpensive 10x-20x lighted loupe is fine. The benefit of a good triplet is having a wider field of view in focus and that doesn't really matter much for nibs.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
What ever happened to just doing figure 8's on a paper bag for a while?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Plinkey posted:

This is a nice solid feeling little pen, it's also nice that it comes with a dropper to make filling easier, I haven't had a chance to write with it yet the nib has Germany stamped on it and doesn't look messed up at all, so we'll see. The only thing I wish it had was a small clip on the cap.

Those pipettes are frightfully cheap, like 7¢ each cheap: http://amzn.to/2Ftmxid

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Those pipettes are frightfully cheap, like 7¢ each cheap: http://amzn.to/2Ftmxid

Yeah, but I don't have one, so it was nice of them to include it on a like $14 pen since the only one I have is like a maybe .5 ml or something for refilling carts.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I'm not a fan of the Conklin flex nib. I should stop buying Conklin.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Zenostein posted:

What ever happened to just doing figure 8's on a paper bag for a while?

This actually doesn't do much unless the nib is really, really bad.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Writes better than I expected, a little scratchy, but nice.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Plinkey posted:

That pen is adorable

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only thing that could improve it in my eyes is to have a loop on the cap so I can swear it around my neck

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trans-LoafWithTail posted:

The only thing that could improve it in my eyes is to have a loop on the cap so I can swear it around my neck

That would probably be super easy to do with a small drill bit and a vice...maybe I'll try it this weekend.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Well, the sender for my WSBI 580al Lava gave me a refund. The package is still lost In Transit, though I'm assured that an investigator has the ticket. Canada Post keeps asking me if USPS will ask for a formal investigation, I'm guessing my case keeps going to the bottom of the stack because it doesn't have the proper procedures met, even though the supervisor I spoke to agreed to initiate it as a special circumstance since USPS refused to get involved.

Maybe it will get to me someday? :(

If not, I hope whoever took it enjoys it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Having a bit of fun the last couple days with the 1.5mm parallel, the different guides to lettering it comes with, and the J. Herbin Stormy Grey ink:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Professor Shark posted:

Well, the sender for my WSBI 580al Lava gave me a refund. The package is still lost In Transit, though I'm assured that an investigator has the ticket. Canada Post keeps asking me if USPS will ask for a formal investigation, I'm guessing my case keeps going to the bottom of the stack because it doesn't have the proper procedures met, even though the supervisor I spoke to agreed to initiate it as a special circumstance since USPS refused to get involved.

Maybe it will get to me someday? :(

If not, I hope whoever took it enjoys it.

You're a better man than I. I hope whoever stole it chokes to death on it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Oh wow, it’s like $25 to get all four sizes: http://amzn.to/2FXn2ly

Can I use converters on those so I can use my own ink? I think you guys had recommended my last set of calligraphy practice pens that have since gotten lost during the hurricanes/flooding last year and I miss them. Calligraphy was my zen-thing and I am a sad monkey without them :(

And after reading Prof. Shark's epic quest, I remembered I had a TWSBI question - I had a similar one to the Lava, but I think one of the ring gaskets failed on it. I picked it up to take to work one day and the cap was full of ink. Didn't get to investigate much as that pen is also MIA due to the floods. Have you guys ever had a pen just dump out the ink like that?

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 9, 2018

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

a mysterious cloak posted:

Can I use converters on those so I can use my own ink?

Mine hasn't yet misbehaved with an empty Pilot cartridge filled with J. Herbin Stormy Grey, so probably?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Having a bit of fun the last couple days with the 1.5mm parallel, the different guides to lettering it comes with, and the J. Herbin Stormy Grey ink:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

grack posted:

The benefit of a good triplet is having a wider field of view in focus and that doesn't really matter much for nibs.

FWIW I started out with a $10 Chinese "30x" loupe with a miniscule point of focus, and it mostly just made me wonder why I was so terrible at nib tuning. When I finally sprang for a $30 triplet, I was instantly like, "Ohhhhhhh I get it now."

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
So my Pelikan M805 Ocean Swirl arrived today, it's a gorgeous pen, the material is really pretty, especially in full sun light where you can see the tiny glittering sparkles throughout the material. The nib is very smooth and well behaved, but I'm glad I got an extra fine nib, it writes slightly broader than a Pilot medium vanishing point nib. It also writes very wet, which is wonderful on good paper with sheening inks. Speaking of inks, I got a bottle of Robert Oster Tranquility ink with this pen and it's perfect for it, it really matches the color of the pen and it has both good shading and sheening characteristics.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Whelp, Customs (grudgingly, probably) allowed Canada Post to deliver one of my 308s today, and I have to say that it's by far my favourite finish so far.

I've deliberately overexposed the photo to try and show something about the material used. The blue colour is not solid. It is, in fact, more like a clear resin filled with little blue pigments that all reflect light back. It's really tough to show in a picture, but absolutely gorgeous in hand.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Plinkey posted:

I really like that color. For work inks, I like non-standard blues, either lighter or darker. What's the type of ink that has different colors depending on how the light hits it?

Also, trip report time. Yesterday, I went to the Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC and purchased a Parker Premier. I wasn't initially drawn to the Parker brand because it had in my mind a cheap drugstore reputation, but I liked the way the Pemier felt and the way it wrote. It's a heavy pen because of a brass base, but it's pretty well balanced. Posting the cap changes the balance slightly. I like the weight, though I'm not sure everyone would. It has an 18kt gold nib and I got a medium. The nib is butter smooth on good paper and poo poo paper alike.

I was tempted to pull the trigger on a Montblanc Blue Hour because bonus time, but decided not to in the end. I also got a Lamy Safari in a 1.5mm stub and a couple bottles of ink, Noodler's Subway Sepia and Diamine Sapphire Blue.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

a mysterious cloak posted:

Can I use converters on those so I can use my own ink?

Yeah, you can use the small Pilot converters with the Parallels.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

grack posted:

Whelp, Customs (grudgingly, probably) allowed Canada Post to deliver one of my 308s today, and I have to say that it's by far my favourite finish so far.

I've deliberately overexposed the photo to try and show something about the material used. The blue colour is not solid. It is, in fact, more like a clear resin filled with little blue pigments that all reflect light back. It's really tough to show in a picture, but absolutely gorgeous in hand.

Damnit how do I know what model number is which

I'm madly in love with the Hawaii one and this one.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

This model number on this one is 44SF. I don't know what the model number for the Hawaii one is because I've already mixed up the boxes.

Edit: The Hawaii one might be might be 25SF

grack fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 10, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Belomo is the typical budget‐but‐respectable recommendation.

Their 10× loupe will run you about $30.

But what I recommend is a particular unbranded Chinese 10×, 21 mm “triplet” loupe.

Here is a listing on a geological supply website where they mention the quality control is poor but they check them all for their customers.

They also mark it up sevenfold for the service. If you don’t mind waiting for shipping from China, buy them direct for $1.78 each. I ordered half a dozen and got one dud. You can do your own arithmetic on that.

My dirty secret is that my best loupes are actually camera lenses and telescope eyepieces that I press into service, but that “triplet” loupe cannot be beat for $1.78.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

We did up the final design for Musubi’s thing that isn’t a book today. It’s in the sample room undergoing refinement now and the final prototype will probably be ready in about two weeks’ time. Some of you saw it at the LA show, but - it’s a 1-or-2 pen sleeve. It’s a genuinely unique design with some very unusual traits that you would never expect of a fabric sleeve, and is done up in the quality you’d expect from us.

I value the honest input of you folks in the thread, so I’ll be offering up a few pieces or so in here around mid-ish April for anyone here who wants to buy a prototype and tell me what they think. There’ll be a goon discount, of course.

Part of the profit from this second project is going towards providing shelter and skills training for women from abusive family backgrounds in Indonesia. We’ll be using this funding to first get them out of their abusers’ hands and then second to help fund modern skills training so that they can seek gainful employment and financial independence.

I need to gauge interest, so post here if you’re potentially interested in getting one. That way I’ll know how many samples to set aside for you.