Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Finagle posted:

So I've always wanted a fountain pen. I got a Lamy Safari off Amazon, and I'm pretty happy with it. I have a problem though, regarding writing with it.

Most of the time it works fine, but fairly often, if I'm writing fast, it seems to stop putting ink on the page. Usually seems to be on long up/down lines. Like this:

I'm fairly certain its something I am doing, how I am holding the pen or something. Can anyone give me some tips?

What paper are you using? The way the ink is laying on that paper looks like it could be coated with something that's repelling the ink a bit, which could be causing your problem.

Also when you got it did you flush the pen through with a bunch of water with a bit of dish soap in it? There could be machining oils left in the pen that could affect general flow of ink to the nib.

There could also be a problem with the nib itself. Skipping on vertical lines is often a symptom of "baby-bottom" of the nib where the ink can't get onto the paper reliably, but you'd need a loupe or something of the sort to diagnose that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

You would only use water in the cleaner for fountain pens, maybe with a couple drops of dish soap I guess. I have no idea what's in jewellery cleaner, but I wouldn't recommend using it on pens. You should wash the thing out thoroughly if you're putting pens in it after some jewellery has been cleaned in it.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I don't understand the people that buy an expensive pen and then don't actually use it. What's the point? A pen's a tool and is made to be functional, use it for it's goddamn function! These are generally the same people that will buy a Ferrari and leave it in the garage because they don't want their new precious baby to get scratched.

I have some reasonably expensive pens and I'm happy to take them out and use them wherever, and god forbid even let people that have never used a fountain pen before use them! Hell, my M90 is more of a beater pen that I will throw around more than any other pen I own, frankly I think it looks better now it's worn than it ever did brand new out of the box.

If I'm ever lucky enough to own some more expensive pens then you know I'll be carrying them around and using them, a pen that's not being used is a waste of space.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Tulip posted:

I mean you're basically like 90% of the way there but you're not taking the last step. Just because a pen is normally a functional tool doesn't mean it can't be used as a piece of art. I don't really have the space to do that sort of thing, but i'd totally use a pen as piece of pure decoration.

Oh I totally get that a lot of pens have some artistic merit and are worthy of display, don't get me wrong. I'd just like to see those pens used more than they usually do. I know of a guy that has an entire collection of the Montblanc Writers Editions and literally never uses them for writing, which to me is just unthinkable. But at the end of the day people can do what they like with their multiple thousand dollar collections I guess. :shobon:

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Platinum's pigmented inks are extremely finely ground, and the formulation of the ink makes it a lot less likely to clog than the usual pigmented inks you'd find in an art store. Sailor's Nano Carbon ink is also pigmented, and is also usable in fountain pens.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

pienipple posted:

Owned the Dollar less than a day, put a drop of automotive silicone grease (aerosol) down the back to lube the piston and it's completely fused.

:v: "Well it's right here, I'm sure it'll be fine."

Yeah don't use the aerosol style silicone grease, it's apparently got a bunch of other solvents mixed in with it which will gently caress up some plastics and synthetic rubbers. I made the same mistake using it to lube the spring on a Snorkel and it melted the sac over a couple of days.

Only ever use pure silicone grease with pens. You can get it pretty cheap and a small tub of it will last forever.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

A couple of the larger pen manufacturers use titanium nibs, like Delta and Stipula. They're pretty well regarded for being able to flex very well so I think it's more than just a gimmick.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 13, 2022

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

milpreve posted:

http://flic.kr/p/oCnygg
I'm sorry the best I can do right now is a stupid flickr link. The yellow is really more of a dark mustard-y gold, but it kinda works for me. The nib is gold, and in F size. Writes nicely, and I love the click-pen aspect more than I thought I would.

I like the Waterman red, especially if you want well-behaved.

The only two tone VP I've ever seen is a black and yellow one on eBay. Was that where you picked it up?

Ive got my suspicions that its a frankenpen, but if you didn't get it from an eBay seller maybe there's two people making bee VPs :v:.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Alder posted:

Hmm--I never really thought much about the actual writing comfort for it but that's disappointing :(

I have seen in-person at a pen meeting and it's p small but extremely expensive.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzOE2HFDO7g/?utm_source=ig_embed

For what it's worth I have a Pilot M90, it being my grail pen previously, and it's one of my favourites.

The nib is very inflexible, but writes very smoothly with good flow. I don't personally find the grip an issue but I can see it being one depending how you write. If you write with reasonably high pressure on the paper, your fingers could easily slip down the grip as there is no flaring at the tip, or if you have especially sweaty hands maybe.

It is a very good looking pen though. Even coming from someone that loves metal pens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

My first "proper" fountain pen was a Waterman Hemisphere. It's a perfectly good pen, nothing special but writes well and sits nicely in the hand.

I'd love an Edson but $$$