Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I always keep one pen in my pants pocket along with my passport TN (which is also my wallet). Which pen that is rotates--but something I don't mind getting dinged up/losing--right now it's a black Jinhao 159 with Parker Brilliant Black. If it's a weekday, I also usually have at least two more in my shirt pocket--one with red ink and another with something a bit different. Right now that's a Wing Sung 3008 with Noodler's Nikita and my VP with Tsukushi. I also have a pencil case in my bag with my Safari mechanical pencil, an eraser, a 6" brass ruler and a Pilot Precise V5 (for forms, bad paper, whatever) along with a full-sized TN. Given how much other random stuff I toss into my bag, a bigger pen case doesn't seem all that unreasonable, though I can't imagine keeping that many pens inked up all the time just because I think at least half would dry up before I got through even most of a fill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Heath posted:

Do you find the passport TN works well as a wallet? I thought of doing the same but it feels like it would be a bit bulky, and I have a full size one that I keep in my backpack as well, so having two would seem redundant.

It's pretty perfect with just one notebook and one of the plastic card/pocket inserts. It's actually thinner than my last wallet since the cards are more spread out and only about 3/4" taller and wider. The little plastic thingy on the zipper pouch broke off after about 8 months but I just treat that pouch like a ziploc baggie now and it still works fine for a glasses cleaning cloth, a band-aid, and my fishing license.

I was actually worried about the redundancy as well, but it's really not at all. The small notebook ends up being where my shopping list or short notes go--basically replacing mountains of sticky notes--and it's great to literally always have paper with me to jot down an idea or sketch out a quick plan for something I want to build while I'm standing in Lowes trying to decide if something is physically possible. My full size notebook, on the other hand, is where I keep my bullet journal and, even though I usually have it with me in my bag, it's not something I bring to the farmers market or the store or whatever.

I actually used to carry a pocket-sized moleskine for a similar reason but I got tired of how hosed up the spines would get before I got even halfway through one and I'd end up leaving it at home which defeated the purpose entirely. With the thinness of the inserts in the TN plus the leather cover, it stays in much better/more usable condition.

Plus, I've never been complimented on a wallet before I started using this one--you know how your TN looks after you've carried it around a while and the leather takes on a really nice character? It's like that.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Eric the Mauve posted:

imo if you're only going to print then fountain pens aren't worth the investment and a good gel pen will be better. Probably an unpopular opinion in this thread though :shobon:

The advice for improving printing is pretty much the same though. Do a lot of writing every day, know how you want the letters to look, and go as slow as you have to. You'll naturally gain speed as your hand muscles gain memory.

Oh, and make sure you're gripping the pen in a natural way. If your hand starts to hurt after a few minutes of writing then you're gripping the pen wrong and should change it.

I vehemently disagree with you about FPs not being worth the investment if you don't use cursive. My handwriting isn't just printing, it's block-caps. I still love using my FPs for it, though, because 1) it puts way less stress on my hands than even the smoothest gel pens; 2) you can't refill a gel pen with cool ink; 3) fountain pens are loving cool and how or what I write with them shouldn't matter. Moreover, though this doesn't really matter to me other than to shake my head, cursive really isn't being taught at all in primary schools any more. My wife's a middle school teacher and the staff pass "secret" notes in cursive since none of the kids can read it.

You're right about the second and third parts, though.

One last note: weirdly enough, heavier pens can be better for reducing hand fatigue and stress. Not sure why that is, but it's definitely something I've noticed.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm so sorry, but the rest of your post turned into ALL-CAPS in my head. It's amazing.

:byodood: EVERY PAGE IN MY BULLET JOURNAL LOOKS LIKE I'M REALLY EXCITED OR REALLY ANGRY ABOUT MUNDANE poo poo!

Pretty much like that, yeah.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
drat. I hate it when I run out of ink at work. At least I'm the special kind of crazy that brings an extra pen regularly. And it means switching ink colors!

Pixelante posted:

Last chance to join the Secret Santa exchange!

Definitely sign up--it's tons of fun! Thanks for organizing it, Pixelante!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Heath posted:

Don’t they have Kaweco Sports that are the color of the orange Ice Planet LEGO pieces?

:eyepop: I didn't know this and now I really need one.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah I think I'm going to stick to one or the other for any pen above about $20-30 and ink, for sort of that reason. I asked a couple of friends who buy a ton of art supplies from JetPens and they both said they've had fantastic customer service from them as well, so I think I'll end up doing like a poster said above and kind of go to whichever has the selection I need at the time. I do really like that Goulet does ink samples though, I'll probably be getting a batch to try soon since I am skeptical of brightly colored inks.

Another question (I swear I'll run out of them soon), what's a good option for a pocket notebook that works well with fountain pens? I'd like to avoid leather so as not to gross out my vegetarian wife, but I do need something that's rugged enough to not fall apart from literally being in the pocket of my jeans every day. I use Rhodia dot pads and love them, so I was probably going to go with a pocket sized Webnotebook, but any other strong contenders? I've heard good stuff about Leuchtturm notebooks but never used one myself.

Check out some of the "fauxdori" Traveler's Notebooks out there. The real TNs are leather, but there's a lot of vegan-friendly (vinyl, veg leather, etc.) options made by other people/companies. I use a passport-sized TN for my wallet with just a single notebook and a card insert. It works great for shopping lists, jotting down ideas or notes, etc. as well as holding about 8 cards plus a pouch in back that holds a glasses cleaning cloth, a bandaid, some stamps, etc. Yet it fits easily in a hip or back pocket.

I transfer the important stuff (writing ideas, etc) to my full-size TN which lives in my backpack (though it does fit in the back pocket of most of my pants, it kinda sticks out a lot and I have to take it out every time I sit down).

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Professor Shark posted:

Also, for those that have used/ use sealing wax, do you think that these cookie stamps would work with it?

I've thought about having a stamp made, but want the 3D effect that these stamps would provide... plus the designs are pretty awesome!

Maybe? I can't tell exactly how big those are but since they're for cookies, I imagine they're around 2" or more in diameter. That means that you'll need to melt a lot of wax to use them. My stamp is about 3/4" in diameter and it still takes a surprising amount of wax to build up a good dollop to press into. With that much wax, you might also run into the issue of having the first stuff you melted start to cool and harden before you get the rest melted. They would be cool stamps, though.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

grack posted:

I bought another Delta

Admitting you have a problem is the first step in healing.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I'm down to participate in the gift exchange again.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I'm also a huge fan of my VP and it's a fantastic writer even if you don't care about the clicky-mechanism. The only drawback is possibly ink capacity if you don't plan on refilling cartridges since Pilot decided to discontinue the best converter for... reasons?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Sankis posted:

I found my VP with a medium nib for about $90 on Amazon a few months back and I love it so much I haven't thought to buy anything else since.

The only downside is if you go Amazon and want a cheap one you will be getting it in black and gold which looks classy but is boring. The other colors, at least when I looked last, jumped up nearer to MSRP.

Not necessarily. I got mine on Amazon for just under $90 as well and it's white with rhodium trim.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

grack posted:

I have the handwriting of someone who's suffered a couple of concussions, and is also the child of two doctors.

I long since gave up on handwriting and even lower-case letters. Now it's all block caps all the time. At least it's legible. I kinda want to re-learn Palmer or learn Spencerian, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

mystes posted:

They're sort of more like binders then notebooks that take inserts like traveler's notebooks, but staples arc / Levenger Circa look interesting (although I haven't tried them yet). They have letter and half letter sizes and if you get a punch you can use whatever paper you want. It's a bit clunkier because of the rings, but the binding system looks convenient (you can insert/remove pages wherever you want and the discs don't need to be opened like rings).

The half letter size leather notebooks look pretty convenient (although they aren't at all pocket size obviously).

I have two Arc notebooks for work and theyr'e really great notebooks. I bought a punch (that's actually a Circa punch) so I can make my own pages if I want as well. The Staples inserts I've gotten have all been really FP-friendly paper and with the thicker stiff covers you can easily hand-hold it and still write easily (though they do have thin flexible covers available, too).

As for clunkiness, it's no worse than a ring binder-based notebook and, as you pointed out, better since you can easily remove and replace pages at a whim. You just need to get the appropriate-sized rings. I have some 1/2" rings on one notebook and another with 1-1/2" rings.