Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

evilneanderthal posted:

Will one of these converters fit in this Sheaffer cartridge pen from the 90s?

Descriptions for the converter say they're 5/16" in diameter at the fat end (e.g.), which is exactly the width of the cartridges it takes (regular Sheaffer ones like they sell at Staples). So, I would think that it would work just fine. However, this post on FPN had the same question with a very similar pen, and one of the responses said it wouldn't fit.

Anyone know for sure? It's only :10bux: either way but I'd prefer to know for sure.

Is that the Reaktor? I just rinse and refill a the cartridge with a syringe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There was some TFR thread that got goldmined years ago where somebody was having everybody see draft of some post he was going to make to sell off one of the shittiest hand guns in shittiest gun collection. He was prepping pictures of it sitting inside his toilet and the like. Somebody was joking about how that goon's entire collection was probably worth less than his cheapest gun, and this guy was totally owning it.

I feel like if I posted my pens that I would be that guy with the pistol in the toilet.

The legend of Micromancer has spread far, far beyond these forums.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

My first bottled ink buy a decade ago was so good it's still my only bottled ink buy: HoD, Midnight Blue, and Zhivago.

But, I finally feel a need to branch out, is there any similarly-almost-black red with the same water resistance?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sanford Vision Elite Bold in Blue-Black is the hands down best non-FP pen I've ever used, and survived a week uncapped and unused without missing a beat.

Works with super-light pressure too, honestly it gives probably 85% of the satisfaction of an FP.

Buy a whole box and leave one everywhere you find a ballpoint and throw out the ballpoints. The trick is raising the partial pressure of good pens in your environment to where you can find one.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 13, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The pilot varsity 'disposable' pens consistently have the second best nibs I've ever used behind a Parker 25.

They also make fantastic eyedropper pens when the factory ink runs out, just pull the section and fill 'er up.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

howe_sam posted:

If you're looking for inks to try this is a good starting point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34LytgBbhAc
All in all, a solid list (Oxblood in particular is a sneaky good pick), but I'd definitely replace a few of their choices for stuff Goulet doesn't sell, like my beloved Omaezaki Azure Sea.

Is it wrong that I actually caught myself blowing on my phone trying to dry that video faster

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

What's a good option in the $50-100 range for something that'll be office appropriate? I mark up sales orders and other pieces of sales paperwork all day long and I need a pretty fine nib, but I value smoothness and a Jetstream isn't quite cutting it. We use cheap recycled paper. I want as glassy as I can get under the circumstances.

eBay up a Parker 25, the short wraparound nib is both smooth and capable of putting down as much pressure as a ballpoint if you need to. It's the one and only FP that's given me solid perfomance on quintuple carbonless.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE posted:

quietly placing this link here in case some richy rich in this thread has $1900 to drop on one of the last original Naginata Togi nibs remaining in the wild. I dipped and wrote with it for a page or so and this nib is just honestly cool as hell.

https://www.nibs.com/pens/pre-owned-sailor-king-pen-green-urushi-naginata-togi-mf-nib

In less expensive news, one of my old Sheaffer pens is a super wet writer and will not stop blobbing on the page no matter what I do. Please recommend me your driest, most viscous inks (preferably not iron gall since I can't be trusted to clean anything out).

Also does anyone know of inks that behave nicely on yellow legal pads? My mom is getting interested in fountain pens but those pads are all she ever writes on, and in my experience even good inks feather like crazy on that paper. Noodler's Zhivago is my personal favorite ink so far for being dark-but-not-black, and well-behaved even on lovely yellow legal pads, but I was hoping to find her a nice saturated blue or blue-green.

Heart of Darkness and Midnight Blue