Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

A clearer pic of the Carioca

And a pic of the bad Zebra (not mine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I only got the Zebra because I actually like the zebra rollerballs. And it looked nice.
Seriously the fountain pen is a piece of poo poo.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Just bought a lamy safari. I hope it is fun to use!

... Also first time buying a proper fountain pen ink bottle, not a pelikan "drawing ink" thingie. The pelikan ink seems to clog my Inoxcrom, but flows pretty well on my Carioca Stilo.

The lamy? It gets proper ink. Anyone knows of any online ink retailer that ships out of the USA?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Got two more cheapo pens. A Pentel Tradio Stlo for 40 pesos (when apparently it goes online for 10 bucks, if so that is a nice price) and it is goddamn weird, and a Pilot Varsity for 20 pesos, planning to refill it eventually hahah.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Just got one of these. Seems nice so far.
http://dx.com/p/hero-exquisite-stainless-steel-fountain-pen-black-143851

Amazingly, it only took two weeks from order to it arriving at my doorstep. Dealextreme, fast? WHAT.

Edit: Also it is my first piston-filler.

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 4, 2013

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

angerbot posted:

How could you get that, but not the 3 in 1 FP/Butane Lighter/Flashlight? Don't you know a deal when you see it!

I have trusted DealExtreme with things. A flask (which will probably kill me), the LED pig (which is awesome and everyone should have one. Or a dozen), and assorted electronic bullshit that I am in no rush to get.

But something with gas that can blow up? When I ordered that I was not THAT drunk!

Well poo poo I need to order the 3 in one next time I get shitfaced.

Edit: Link for future reference
http://dx.com/p/3-in-1-fountain-pen-w-butane-lighter-white-illuminating-light-black-silver-3-x-ag4-180713

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 4, 2013

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

My inoxcrom stopped flowing for some reason :(

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Speaking of cheap chinese crap, is getting this worth it to gift to friends and family
http://www.dhgate.com/new-10-pcs-hero-616-triple-color-fine-nib/p-ff8080812c87c5b6012c965cf68a614c.html

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Fayk posted:

Does anyone know the actual model#/etc of that particular Hero pen?

The one I posted? It says "Hero 9035" in the cap.

Edit:I already got an Inoxcrom like this, but this one has a goddamn pug, haha.

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 7, 2013

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Boo, the Hero pens I ordered from DealExtreme are still on backorder. Oh well. Will have to wait more until they arrive, and thus even longer before ordering the 10-pack from aliexpress.

Is it wrong that I am getting addicted to these things? Also I need to find out more places where I can buy inks here, I know of two stores but they have only blues and blacks :/

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Anyone know any good homemade ink recipes or something?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I just got a bottle of Heart of Darkness. Is the free pen it comes with safe to use with it (as in, it won't leak horribly when put in a pocket and then put goddamn impossible to remove ink on everything I have?)

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Just got my first italic nib thing in a sheaffer viewpoint calligraphy pen thing. Medium nib.
like this http://www.ipenstore.com/servlet/the-5616/Sheaffer-Viewpoint-Calligraphy-Fountain/Detail
This is gonna be fun to use.

Now I just need to get 20 more ink bottles.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Yaay my chinese Hero 616 10 pack just arrived.

Now what the gently caress do I do with 10 hero 616s (also a Hero 721, a Hero 7021 and a Baoer 388, the two heros for gifts, the Baoer for me)
http://dx.com/p/baoer-exquisite-stainless-steel-fountain-pen-silver-golden-143839

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Yay, gave away 3 Hero 616s (everyone happy with them, particularly my cousin whose birthday was yesterday, she loved it since apparently she keeps multiple diaries, gave her a bottle of quink as well :3:). Inked one for myself.

That still leaves 6 pens I don't have an idea what to do with haah (spare 616s do not diminish me wanting more pens of different varieties but why the gently caress I want more I already got like 6 perfectly good pens to use everyday).
drat. This is what my dad must feel like with knives and other poo poo he likes to acquire.

Edit: I want more inks as well.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Great Horny Toads! posted:

I see they have other pens on that site that are like $20-$30 each. Are those any good, or are they as hit-and-miss as the 10-pack Luisfe bought?

The 6 to 10 bux pens (Heros and Baoers) on DealExtreme are perfectly serviceable. No idea about the slightly more expensive ones.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

My inoxcrom died :(

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I refilled a pilot varsity with lamy blue with the help of a chopped syringe.

End result: Feels good, man, but it seems it still had a bit of the black ink in even if the reservoir seemed empty and it was not writing anymore, since it is writing with a much more blackish tone than anything else I've filled with lamy blue.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

cobalt impurity posted:

Did you wash out the feed/grip section? A lot of ink can get trapped in there, even if it won't come out through writing.

No, since I did not dissassemble it, I used a chopped syringe following this method
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEdJyrSEsMc

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Aw, one of my cats batted my baoer 388 from the table it was resting on, and the plastic thing inside the cap cracked. It now needs way less strength to get opened/closed. I hope that's the only bad effect it gets and it does not let the ink dry.

I already ordered another one of the same model as a gift for my dad but god drat, I liked it! It was the nicest looking one I have (and less than 10bux)

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Aw man, I accidentally dropped my favorite pen, and now the nib is bent to all poo poo. God drat it.

Fortunately, it was the cheapest pen I've got (The Universal Stylo Neon). Unfortunately, I can't find another one of those anymore :(

Oh well. Maybe I can fix the nib later on but god drat.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Bought another tacky two bucks Italian fountain pen, same manufacturer as my previous favorite 2 bucks pen (the Carioca Neon Stylo). It is called a "Tycon Deviline by Universal. It comes with a marker/eraser that erases the blue ink it comes with. GOod value I think.

This is the least terrible picture I've found of it on the internet, will take pics when I have access to a camera later.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

blowfish posted:

Keep in mind that red ink in general tends to be more gunk-prone than other inks from the same manufacturer. Even, say, Pelikan red will leave a layer of crud quite quickly.

Oh, so that is why when I used pelikan drawing ink I could use blue all day long, but if I used a red it clogged up. That explains things a bit.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

xilixliadon posted:

I have a pack of 616 jumbos on the way from DealXtreme, I hope they write that well (or at least some of them).

Holy poo poo thanks. Now they are available from DX, that is awesome.
http://dx.com/p/hero-616-retro-style-pc-fountain-pen-green-red-black-10-pcs-214882

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Solkanar512 posted:

I love handing over a Metro or a TWSBI when someone asks to borrow a pen. Half the time they don't know what to do with it and it's hilarious to watch. That being said, I gave my groomsmen TWSBI 540s, and they thought it was the neatest thing ever. Hell, my dad got a Vac 700, and he's hooked!

But then they'll use pressure and ruin the nib forever :byodood:

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Wouldn't it be cheaper to get regular syringes and then use sandpaper to make the tips blunt? I do that (but instead of sandpaper I use a bit of sharpening stone, eh)

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

angerbeet posted:

The thing about Rome Burning is I want the gorgeous purple it turns after being CrimeHacked or whatever, without the crimehack.

I am probably dumb for asking this but what is a crimehack?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
My Jinhao x450 pen just arrived. 6 bucks? Free shipping? Smoother than I expected! Also the nib has way more flex than I expected.

I can't complain (yet). Feels heavy and substantial!

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I really, really want to get a bottle of Noodler's Antietam, but Amazon won't ship to Mexico :negative:

Oh well, a relative will probably end up visiting another relatve in the US this year again and I can get it shipped there I guess.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Welsper posted:

http://www.gouletpens.com/Noodlers_Antietam_Ink_3oz_p/n19013.htm

I'm assuming they do Mexico since I've received packages from them across the pacific.

They do! BUT the shipping is 20 bux. Without tracking. Daamn!
With tracking? 51 bux for the shipping. Yeeah I think I will wait for a relative to visit the US, haha.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I want more pens and more inks.

Particularly inks. Most of mine are inked with Lamy Black.

Edit: Do Pilot Parallels work well with regular fountain pen inks?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Solkanar512 posted:

Depends on the price. High end pens always come with the converter, lower end ones usually do not. The Metro is an exception to this.

All my cheapo chinese pens have come with converters, while the only one over 10 bux I've gotten (lamy safari) did not, haha.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Has anyone tried the Jinhao or Hero lamy clones? Jinhao 599 or Hero 359.

If so, were they any good? They seem like they could be pretty good gifts.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Thank you! I think I will get a jinhao Lamy knockoff and a pilot metropolitan in the near future then :D

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I bought one of these two weeks ago
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jinhao165-Wine-And-Gold-Mesh-Scales-Medium-Nib-Fountain-Pen-New-/261253870239

That's seriously the fastest time I've ever gotten ANY Chinese thing over the internet.
It writes really smooth and I like it. But seriously, two weeks total in transit. I was expecting it to be like 2 months.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Corridor posted:

guys i've just come into a fair bit of money and i've decided that what i really want/need in life is an expensive status symbol or 'man toy' to fill the howling void in my soul. i would prefer it be something sleek and executive-looking that i can imagine the world's most successful men might have casually lying on their desks. if it fails to bring me lasting joy i may need to buy several. i sure am glad i found this thread!

Buy a Pilot Metropolitan.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Had the option between getting a Lamy Nexx or a demonstrator Safari.

I chose the Safari. 30bux or so.
I think I'll go get that Nexx in a couple of weeks.
Alternatively, is the Pelikan Twistany good? Because that is half the price of the Nexx, or the safari.

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 19, 2014

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Landsknecht posted:

What should I be saying to people who ask/reach for my pens at work and whatnot? I've noticed that since people always pass around cheap ballpoints without thinking, people will often reflexively reach for what is often a $200+ pen, which is something I'm not comfortable with (I don't think assuming that most people will gently caress up my pens without thinking is being a pompous rear end).

Take cheapo pens to work.

I've passed my jinhaos and my pilot varsity around at work. People like them (chinese pen more than the Varsity), and if they get hosed up, it is a very, very minor loss.

(So, always bring a cheapo backup)

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

EnsGDT posted:

My Metro and Lamy Al-Star are the only two I own, and I bring them both to work.

Solution: Get cheapo jinhaos :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Found a 4 pack of Office Max branded... thingies. They are tiny. Gave one to a coworker, kept one for me and gave the other two to family members.

4 pens for 2 bucks. That must be a new low.

They looked like this, except that the only color was in the clip and the section, should take a pic of my current amount of pens

Edit:

Cat, pens, lovely-rear end notebook.

Refilled Pilot Varsity, two Pilot Parallels, Jinhao 165, Jinhao X450, Sheaffer Viewpoint, Platinum Preppy, Baoer 388, Hero 616, Lamy Safari (Blue), Lamy Vista, no-name cheapo mini thing.

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 20, 2014