Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Same Great Paste posted:

After trying to understand by going back and forth between all of EF, F, M, and B for a few days the thing that really stands out to me is the physical feedback differences. Gun to my head I still can’t reliably see a difference between the smaller three (broad is certainly broad). I can certainly feel EF drag, F slightly less, M seems neutral-ish, and B glides.

Just-posting in case the tactile feedback would surprise any other beginners.

This will also be very different between manufacturers. Sailor nibs all have more "pencil-like" feedback, even mine that have been re-ground into different shapes by a nibmeister. Pilot nibs are generally super smooth, even at finer sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

My favorite ink review blog is Mountain of Ink. Here’s her page on fast drying inks: https://mountainofink.com/blog/fast-dry-inks

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

If I had to pick a single ink line to use for the rest of my life it would be Pilot Iroshizuku, and I think a lot of other people would make the same choice. It flows nicely without being too wet, wonderful colors, interesting shading while still being clear and legible, and dries nicely. It does have good distribution in the US, so you don’t need a friend in Japan to get it for you if you end up liking it and want more.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

It’s just a meet up, but Pelikan provides some swag for attendees: “Past examples of swag provided by Pelikan have included pen holders, cases, note pads, and ink.”

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I think this was my first time going to the SF Pen Show that I didn’t buy anything! I thought I might pick up a new bottle of ink or two, and an outside chance that I fall in love with a pen, but the more I saw the more I felt content with what I already have. I didn’t even hit up the ink sample stations. What is happening to me?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Chip McFuck posted:

Delta's back! With a bizarre feature!

It has a blind cap on the end that contains a two gram weight. The idea is that you can choose to have the balance nib-forward or back heavy.

I love it. I wish more pen makers spent as much time on functionality like this as they do on aesthetics.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Corrigenda posted:

Also, would I be out of line to ask for something to cover shipping costs?

To return their stuff to them? Of course that wouldn't be out of line.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

Cultpens.com has a sale running today through the 11th, 10% off a lot of stuff. For pens significantly cheaper than in the US, it makes a lot of things really cheap. A lamy 2000 would be $130 with the sale. Diamine ink is really cheap there as well. It’s in the UK, but with free shipping to the US on orders over $135.

Has anyone heard anything bad about them?

From my time in the r/fountainpens subreddit I have a good impression of CultPens, but I've never ordered from them personally.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Pilot 823 or Pilot 845 Urushi (the latter retails for $850 in the US but like most high end Pilot stuff it’s trivial to buy direct from Japan on eBay for $400)

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I had a run of several Safaris all with nibs that were misaligned out of the box. Even their higher end pens like the 2000 don't have nibs to my liking. The 2000 in particular has a very small sweet spot.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Same Great Paste posted:

Thanks for saying this. I love my 2000 and it’ll be my daily until one of us dies but I’m glad to know “it’s not just me” with the sweet spot.

Definitely not just you. I love the look and feel of the 2000, so after selling my two different attempts at getting one with a nib I liked, I bought one of the 4 color ballpoint versions.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

After almost a year since my initial inquiry, my two custom urushi pens from Bokumondoh are ready! They’re a Franklin-Christoph 20 and a Franklin-Christoph 50. I’m so excited for them to get here:

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

grack posted:

Peyton Street Pens is a reliable seller, I've bought from them a few times with no issues.

Seconding this. I’ve bought from them and I’ve met them several times at the SF Pen Show too.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

My Pilot 845 is one of my favorites for sure.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I have a Rotring Newton that's all metal. Also a Schon DSGN Pocket 6 that's machined anodized aluminum. I used to have a Kaweco Sport Brass. Do you have a specific question?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I'm betting they go with the Pilot × Pokémon Charizard

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I keep a bottle of 3:1 Yama-Budo:Shin-Kai as a gorgeous purple. Someone first came up with it as a substitute for Lamy Dark Lilac.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Not that stupid. Air expansion is your only enemy, so make sure the ink reservoir is as full as possible, and store the pen with the nib up so that any air can expand up and out of the feed and nib without pushing ink along with it. Have a paper napkin ready for the first time you unscrew the cap, just in case, but I've done it lots of times.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

My Vac700R cap never felt fragile. There's also the TWSBI Classic to look at. Next step up after Vac 700R and Classic is probably is the $130 range, e.g. Pilot Custom Heritage 92 ($130 shipped from Japan on eBay), Pelikan M200 ($135 on Amazon), and then up to the $200+ range, e.g. Pilot Custom 823 ($220 shipped from Japan on eBay).

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

KingColliwog posted:

I don't think I would mind, but it's certainly worth trying before spending.

First thanks for enabling me. I do like spending money on high quality tool just because it makes everything more enjoyable.

I'm really partial to Pilot since I loved everything I ever had from them, but the custom.823 is both expensive and not particularly good looking which makes it hard to justify such a big investment. I'll try to see it in person, it might be much nicer than in pictures.

That said, I'm a HS teacher so I'm lucky enough that I can use any funky color to grade exams. I think Yama-Budo is perfection for grading. I don't even own a red anymore... Might have to fix that too

If you like the idea of a pen like the 823 but not its aesthetic, I love my 743. It’s not a piston filler but the button filler converter is great, and if you order from Japan you get all sorts of specialty nib options like Falcon, Waverly, and others.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I found this comprehensive comparison of all the different Pilot Custom models to be very useful when I was deciding which to get: https://kmpn.blogspot.com/2011/06/pilot-custom.html?m=1

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I’m the opposite, I guess. I always wanted to like Lamy but their nibs have never agreed with me. I owned two different 2000s and both had really small sweet spots for writing. Then the high end Pilot nibs grabbed me with their glassy smoothness and they’ve always performed great for me. I have some higher end Sailor hardware (Taccia) too but I don’t prefer the feedback sensation.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

KingColliwog posted:

Thanks to you in particular, since it's that post that made me consider the Pelikan.

Glad to be of assistance! I hope you enjoy your Pelikan, they're nice pens. I also have a strong preference for posting my pens. One of my favorites is a Franklin-Christoph 02 that I had done in urushi and maki-e by Bokumondoh. They have a slightly weird profile that tapers down so the cap can post deeply. Franklin-Christoph nibs are excellent (Jowo #6 but always tuned or custom ground in house). No piston filler though. I will say even the longer Pilot models like the 823 feel on the edge of OK length-wise when posted for me, since they're pretty light. I don't have a 92 but I expect it would be quite comfortable posted.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Platinum Carbon Black is also very popular.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

You still get hosed by Pilot's silly North America pricing, though. I got mine from Japan on eBay for $220 shipped, rather than the $330 Nibs.com is asking.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Absolutely gorgeous. I still think about a Decapod or a Dorsal Fin from time to time. Maybe I'll try one at the next SF Pen Show.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Karl Hungus posted:

I've avoided posting in this thread because I have a problem. I'm addicted to what I consider pens in the mid-price range ($200-$1200). My favorite pens are Graf von Faber-Castell, Cross, and recently Visconti. Let me know if you want more detail or images about a given pen. Obviously I have a lot more inexpensive pens in boxes but the "expensive" ones are what I concentrate on at the moment.

How did you gravitate toward those brands? I have also moved toward a similar price range of pens but have focused on Pilot, Taccia, and Franklin-Christoph. I’ve been curious about Visconti for their own bodies but have heard the actual nibs and feeds are so-so, which I would consider unacceptable in that price range. Which Visconti do you like most?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

stealie72 posted:

Brass seems like it would be really heavy. But on the metal bodied kaweco front, I've got a Lilliput and it is pretty great for a pen I can carry in my watch pocket.

I used a brass Kaweco Sport for a good while, and I liked the heft. It's a short pen so the weight doesn't change its balance in your hand, it just makes it feel more solid. Only thing I will say is that at a distance sitting on a desk it can look like a large caliber bullet. My boss had a good startle when he first saw it. It also comes in steel if you want the heft and a different color.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Doctor Hospital posted:

The M nib on the Go is very smooth and it stays inked up and ready to go at a moment's notice, so I can definitely see it becoming my out-and-about pen. I haven't been in this hobby for long but I'm already smitten with TWSBI's utilitarian designs.

My hot take: for the average user, TWSBI is what Lamy wishes it were.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Some sellers will even swap the nib you want in from another pen they have in stock without making you buy both. I know Nibsmith.com does that for Sailor and Taccia pens.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Keetron posted:

I'll just stick to Japanese pens in the future.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Heath posted:

No, you've got it backwards. You buy a bunch and then you realize you only use one or two and then you stick to those

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

SixteenShells posted:

ooooo that looks pretty!

side tangent I go back and forth on demonstrator pens - I find a closed pen barrel just looks nicer somehow to my eye, the demonstrators remind me of see-through plastic kids electronics from the 90s/00s. But the utility you get from seeing how much ink you have left, and the opportunity to really showcase a beautiful ink before it even hits the page? you just can't get that otherwise. And the slowly building anticipation from seeing the reservoir slowly deplete over time, gauging how long you can push it before you should clean and refill - it's very engaging.

You might find a sweet spot in pens with ink windows (e.g., Lamy Safari, Lamy 2000, some Pelikans, Sailor Realo).

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

DicktheCat posted:

Life has been insane and I forgot to check the pen thread. Now that I'm back, I'm losing my mind at the fact this exists as a thing.

The Pikachu one is sold out, but there's also now a Rayquaza one.

DicktheCat posted:

One of the inks is shimmer, should I wash it out in the same day as use, or is it ok to use like a normal ink, and just make sure to clean it really good in between? How often should I lubricate the piston, too?

It's fine to use as a normal ink. You will probably still find the occasional bit of shimmer particle in your next fill of ink no matter how well you clean it. But it's fountain pen ink, it won't damage the pen just sitting in there, the way India ink would. As for lubrication, just whenever you take it all the way apart for cleaning, since you'll inevitably end up cleaning off the lubrication then too. For cleaning between fillings, just filling and emptying with water until it runs clear enough should suffice, I wouldn't disassemble it every time.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

madmatt112 posted:

Those Pokémon pens… I expected a maybe fifty dollar cheapish pen like a kakuno but branded…
Dear god almighty.

I have the Kakuno Eevee and Pikachu set, you can order it on Amazon Japan shipped to the US. Came to about $50 for the two pens and shipping I think.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

sb hermit posted:

but to be serious, that $5 could just go towards another twsbi eco which is a reasonable and sound investment

You could just buy another TWSBI Eco and it will come with a wrench!

Edit: oh wait that's what you were saying. Yes well.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

It's like someone urushi'd a Moonman Q1

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I like the house nibs from Franklin-Christoph, and their Stub Italic Gradient (SIG) is smooth but still has the line variation of an italic.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Sankis posted:

How much does it usually cost to get a nib fixed? My Pilot Falcon has never written particularly well so I got it in my head that I could smooth it out during a fun episode

I kinda did. It's pretty smooth now but if I put any pressure down the tines dig pretty hard into the paper so I clearly hosed that up and at this point I'm worried about destroying any more of the tipping material.

Edit: and any recommendations? wait times don't particularly bother me. it'll be a fun surprise after I forget about it

Gena Salorino is great, I've had them do custom grinds for me on lots of pens. https://www.customnibstudio.com/

Michael Masuyama is also a legend in nib grinding and I've sent him pens too which have always turned out great. http://www.mikeitwork.com/

Repair costs will always depend on how bad it is; Gena's site says $30-75 for straightening bent nibs. Mike's says ~$40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I firmly believe that nib tuning and custom grinds are the best money you can spend on fountain pens.