Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

strangemusic posted:

I'm a recent fountain pen convert - got a Lamy Vista M and ordered a bottle of Heart of Darkness, so I've been using the free Preppy that comes with it - holy poo poo, definitely learned to use silicone grease.

My penmanship is atrocious though, and has been for ages - I'm one of those frantic scribbly people whose printing looks like a serial killer's - other than slowing down considerably, any advice on getting better?

Write with your arm: http://www.paperpenalia.com/handwriting.html

Also, learn not to grip the pen so hard. If you've been writing with ballpoints your whole life, you may not even realize how much pressure you're applying to get the ink to transfer to the paper. With a fountain pen, capillary action should draw the ink from the nib to the paper, so you shouldn't have to be pressing down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Living near a fountain pen shop is dangerous. I was waiting for my friend to show up for dinner so I went browsing for a bit, and then this happened

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Oh man, Kon-peki is gorgeous:

I'd had my eye on it for a while but couldn't justify yet another bottle of ink. Good thing I decided to get dinner near a fountain pen shop, had a friend running late, and have poor impulse control! :buddy:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Tulip posted:

So what is the most monstrous of convertors to make sure that my metro holds a small lake of ink?

You'll probably want to just reuse an empty cartridge and refill it with a syringe. Without needing to leave room for a piston or a twisty end, cartridges will hold significantly more ink than converters.

Edit: Assuming the metro takes standard long cartridges

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

About to do some international travel soon, and I'm kind of tempted to pick up a Vac 700 even though I feel like I have enough pens, which already includes three other TWSBIs :ohdear:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

You might still want to keep one ballpoint handy in case somebody needs a pen. The few times I allowed people to borrow a fountain pen before I learned my lesson, they inevitably held it upside down (with the feed on top of the nib) and pressed way too hard.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

basch posted:

Nothing screws off - it's basically one solid piece. So I can't really open it up to check :( It was pretty cheap so I don't mind if I can't salvage it but I liked it cause it writes slightly thinner than my Lamy EF.

Which may as well stand for Extra Fat, compared to the non-FP pens I used to use...

Remember that fountain pen inks are water-based. On most papers, this means it'll soak right in and give you a fatter line (and probably some bleeding and feathering) than on nicer paper.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

My Lamy 2000 slipped out of my bag and hit the asphalt, so it has a little gouge on the side of the cap. I also had to send it in to get serviced once because the section had developed a crack somehow (probably overtightened it at some point).

I wish I could find it now, but somebody also showed a comparison of a well-worn 2000 next to a brand new one, and the makrolon texture eventually wears down to be smoother and shinier.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Edmond Dantes posted:

You know, I'm so used to customer service being utter shite in my country that I didn't even consider the possibility of just asking them.

I checked their store and you can't choose a 1.1 stub for the Rose Gold, so I think it confirms that it's just not being made at the moment. I dropped them an email, and I'll let you guys know if I get a response since I remember Cool Corn posting his 580 a few pages back and someone lamenting the lack of 1.1 stub for it.

They're always super responsive and super willing to just send you parts for free. You'll probably have to pay for a nib, but they've sent me almost every other part of the pen without charge, and it's always been a cinch to replace parts given the design of the pen (they include a wrench and some silicone grease with every pen, so you know it's meant to be taken apart). I've purchased three pens from them now, and I'd be getting more if I didn't feel like I already had too drat many pens as it is.

If you have any sort of problem with a TWSBI pen, just drop Philip a line at twsbiinc@gmail.com and he'll get you sorted.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

aldantefax posted:

Going to Maido today in San Francisco. I want a nice shady ink and some new stationery! gently caress! :10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Don't think I've been there yet, but the Maido on Santana Row has most of the Iroshizuku inks. You know what you need to do :retrogames:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

AH AH AAAAAAAHHH

I loved the idea of Rouge Hematite, and I love Fuyu-syogun as a gray ink, so a shiny gray ink has got me all hot and bothered. Just wondering now how to best keep it in my pen without it gumming up the nib/feed or settling at the end of the converter...

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Verdugo posted:

I had some Rouge Hematite in my Ahab, always gunked it up. I'm tempted get a bottle of this to try it in my Eversharp Symphony 713. Goulet's out of stock, probably for the best as I have enough ink currently to probably last me 10+ years.

Yeah, I have a bottle of Rouge Hematite that I've only used with a glass dip pen, since I was concerned about the sediment and it's not really a color I'd use regularly anyway. This, though, I could use all day, so now I need to figure out how I can safely keep one of my pens inked up with it.

Really digging the fact that they came to their senses and are making another shiny 1670 ink. Bleu Ocean's not bad, but I can get a well-behaved blue anywhere.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

UnoriginalMind posted:

Is there something a step up from the Pilot Metro that's got better ink capacity but is still made of metal? The Lamy and TWSBI models look nice, but they also look kind of like, well, toys I guess. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I like my fancy fountain pens to be equally fancy on the outside too.

Price is important, but if I have to shell out something like 40-75 dollars, I can just wait until the end of the month when I get my commission check. Had a good month and a new pen would be a good pat-on-the-back gift, I think.

Better ink capacity than the converter pretty much means stepping up to a piston filler. Goulet Pens doesn't have sorting by body material, but you can see their list of piston fillers here: http://www.gouletpens.com/Fountain_Pens_s/869.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=869&show=30&page=1&f-Piston-Fill=1184

Edit: If it's just the plasticky, transparent/demonstrator look of most of TWSBI pens that turns you off, they now have pens that come in a "classic" opaque color finish: http://www.gouletpens.com/TWSBI_Classic_Black_Fountain_Pen_F_p/tw-m7443660.htm

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

No more Stormy Grey at Goulet until December :negative:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

That feed looks much too far from the nib. You shouldn't be able to see a visible gap like that.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Thanks for the heads up! Snagged me a bottle. Should look nice on the shelf next to Rouge Hematite and Bleu Ocean.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

It's here! It's here! :woop:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I ordered on the 4th, but I also live about ten minutes away from JetPens. The last time I emailed about picking up an order in person, they were in Milpitas, but maybe I should check again now that they've moved to San Jose...

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Haven't tried Kiri-same, but Fuyu-syogun has subtle bluish tones that really evoke the sense of an overcast winter day. It can look a bit pale if you use a particularly fine or dry nib though.

The J. Herbin Stormy Grey I just picked up actually appears to be a bit purplish--can't really see it when writing with the ink, but the ink in the bottle and the stains on my hand are purple. However, the gold particles in the ink can make it 1) a little ostentatious since the glitteriness can be pretty heavy, which sometimes reminds me of those glitter gel pens I remember kids using in school, and 2) high maintenance, since the particles might be harder to clean out when switching inks, and can settle in the pen and lead to inconsistent application of the sparkles.

You'd definitely want to give the bottle a good shake and "scrape" some of the gold off of the bottom of the bottle when filling a pen. Not sure of a good way to shake up the gold after leaving a pen alone for a while, since with fountain pens that has the tendency to spray ink all over the place.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Brightman posted:

Yeah, the TWSBI line is a pretty solid. The 5xx series can be fully disassembled like that, so it's probably right up your alley. I think the cap requires a tool to take all the way apart though.

I might try taking the 2000 apart for a thorough cleaning in the future but I'll probably just leave the cap and nib assembly intact while I do so.

All the TWSBIs I've had come with a flat wrench for disassembly and a little bottle of silicone grease to maintain the piston seal. They're pretty much designed from the ground up to be user-serviceable.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Fountain pens use water-based ink, so they're all subject to drying out, unlike the paste inks found in ballpoints. That said, the worst that will happen if you leave it uncapped for a few minutes is that it might be a bit hard to start, but once it's flowing again it should be fine.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

As a counter to grack's experience with TWSBI, my own anecdotal experience has been relatively good. The original design 540 I got had problems three times (cracked section, cracked barrel at the piston knob end, cap that developed circular scratches because it couldn't properly fit the replacement section), but the smoke 540 and the mini that I got later on have been completely problem-free. And when I did have problems and emailed them about it (always send an email to Philip at twsbiinc@gmail.com first!), they were very quick to respond and send free replacement parts.

I suppose it's possible that their pens still regularly have problems and I got lucky, but as somebody who values good customer service, even after my experience with my first pen, I would recommend TWSBI without hesitation.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Sagebrush posted:

The lilliput is tiny -- when capped, it's almost exactly the same size as a cigarette, and not a king-size either. The cap screws onto the back and makes it about the length of an unposted normal pen, but it's still half the diameter. It suits her well because she's a very small person but if you're a big goony man with fat hands I imagine it would be like writing with a toothpick.

Also it looks like a tampon

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Related post, but I am looking for a nice quality journal to write my thoughts/musings. My wife got me a very nicely calfskin hardbound/gilded edge journal for my last which I just filled up a couple of weeks ago. I am looking for something that is not just a "moleskine" type notebook. I generally write with my TWSBI Diamond 580 with a 1.1 nib and Pilot inks (my handwriting is big fat letters). Perhaps something like this would be cool? Hand-made paper journal or am I asking for a bleed through mess with that kind of paper? I am not opposed to spending up to ~$75 if something seems to look particularly cool/unique since these are things I intend for my kids/grandkids to read etc.

Not sure what "just a moleskine" means, but for some extra flair/pretentiousness (depending on how you look at it), you could go with a Midori (shorter version here). It can hold multiple notebook refills so you can have lined + blank, for example, and it has a bunch of little accessories as well.

I personally use a Pelle leather journal (essentially an American-made copy of the Midori that went defunct a year or two ago), which I like because it comes in a medium size between the two Midori sizes. There's a Clairefontaine notebook that works perfectly as a refill too.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mr. Despair posted:

I've got a fine nib + 54th massachusetts in the metro, and the kakuno is a fine nib filled with the green ink that used to be in a pilot varsity (don't really like medium nibs, I need to shove as much on the page as I can!)

What are you drinking?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

J. Herbin Bleu Ocean now has a metallic sheen like the other two 1670 inks: http://blog.gouletpens.com/2015/04/make-waves-with-j-herbin-bleu-ocean.html

Unfortunately, it's gold instead of silver, which I feel like would have matched better. Still kinda tempted to pick some up even though I've got an entire bottle of the old version.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

It's been way too long since I inked up my metro. I forgot how god drat comfortable this pen is! Need to put this back in my rotation, but I honestly feel a little bad given how cheap it is compared to the other pens I use regularly. All the more reason I should pick some up to gift to others, I suppose :getin:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

breathstealer posted:

I might be using it wrong but the inkwell has been pretty useless. After a couple fills the ink level is too low to cover the nib and feed. Pen is great though.

You're supposed to invert it before filling so the little plastic cone insert gets filled up, and then you ink up from the cone.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Haven't used many Pelikans. How are they, and how is the M200 in particular? I'm kinda craving the Café Crème (I'm sort of a coffee nerd :v:). I'm assuming they're full-on western nib sizing?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The more I use my Metro, the more I like it. Why is my cheapest pen the favorite? :psyduck:

I feel bad for neglecting my Lamy 2000 and my Vanishing Point for so long...

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I'm having really bad luck buying ink on Amazon. The pen that came with a bottle of noodlers(which shipped late) was cracked. I had two day shipping on some Iro inks and it's been over a week and they have yet to even leave the warehouse.

Goulet may be overpriced compared to almost every other online retailer, but they package the poo poo out of everything because they know how fragile pen stuff can be. Also free lollipop.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I was cleaning a bunch of pens all at once and managed to gently caress up two of my CON-50 converters, one by losing the metal agitator bit down the sink drain and one by cracking the barrel by twisting too hard when the metal sleeve wouldn't come off. Why did I get into this hobby

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

grack posted:

The nib opening of a VP has a spring loaded trap door over it, lint shouldn't be much of a problem. For that matter a good fountain pen won't leak if stored nib down.

It's spring-loaded, but the back of the feed still rubs against the edge of the opening, so after retracting the nib, there can be a bit of ink on the edge that can transfer onto your clothes or hands if the feed was wet.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

After cleaning a half dozen pens in a row, I never want to buy another pen that can't be completely disassembled. Ink kept getting stuck in the tiniest crevices, and even after soaking overnight they still wouldn't flush completely clear.

I had one pen in particular that was giving me a lot of grief, until I yanked on the nib and feed out of frustration and realized that they popped right out. Took two seconds to rinse the remaining ink out.

I know we've gone back and forth on the TWSBI thing a few times in this thread, but this makes me appreciate the total user-serviceability all the more.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Xun posted:

Holy poo poo the new J Herbin 1670 looks awesome. I want it but I know I'll never use fancy ink like that. I'm don't even write gud :argh:

I've bought all of them so far and have written maybe a half page with each, tops

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I used to have a lot more inked up, but then I'd use them too infrequently and they'd get all gummed up. The one infrequent use pen I have now, the pen I keep in my laptop bag for when I'm out and about, is a Platinum 3776, specifically because that one is able to be stored unused for months at a time (supposedly up to two years).

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Anybody tried the Bullet Journal system? I know it's meant to be super customizable according to your personal habits, but I can't for the life of me figure out how some of the "default" stuff is supposed to work. What's the difference between an event and a task? And there's no visual indicator of an event vs. a task on the calendar page of the monthly log? If I rapid log a future event, do I write it down for the day as a task, which I migrate later? It looks like scheduling/migrating is only supposed to apply to tasks specifically.

Also, holy gently caress do people put way too much effort into their journals. All this washi paper and calligraphic adornments make me feel like these people spend more time on their journal than on the life they're supposed to record with it.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

GenericGirlName posted:

Does anyone know what the teal ink is in the latter half of pictures for this pen is? Or some way to find out?

https://www.gouletpens.com/edison-nouveau-premiere-fountain-pen-arctic-currents/p/ED-Premiere-Winter2017

Goulet is a very friendly and down-to-earth company. I'm absolutely sure that they'd try to help if you just emailed them, though no guarantee that they'd remember what ink it is themselves.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Jackson-Pencil-Case-Orgy/dp/B00GYKB3FG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I need to cut down on my number of inked pens, or I need a way to keep them airtight when not in use. I just refilled my Lamy 2000 with more Iroshizuku Kon-peki, and I forgot how bright it can look and how much shading it has. The past few days of using it has been a pretty saturated, shading-less blue, probably because the ink inside had dried up somewhat.

Are there more pens with something like Pelikan's Slip & Seal thing?