Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Ben, if you're still spending as much time down at the bar flirting with those girls you always expected me to remember the names of, stop going so frequently. It was 2-3+ times a week before I blocked you. You're a nice dude, but you're immature, which really isn't surprising considering your situation.

Your mother has no right physically assault you or any other person on the planet. You're her son second, and a person first. And no one should be hitting their kids anyway, what the christ.

From what I was exposed to of your thoughtprocess, you're pretty narrowly focused. A therapist might help with that, and there are therapists who will see you for very cheap. If you're as focused now on your family situation as you were on getting laid a few months ago, it's going to be taking up every waking second you aren't purposefully focusing on something else. That's not healthy. Is poo poo hosed up at home? Yes. Do changes need to be made? Yes. Just don't obsess over it.

Stay on your toes to make sure you're utilizing every resource available. Take unemployment if you can get it, work for your uncle if that's possible. Get over yourself. There's nothing wrong with getting assistance, I know you're intelligent enough to know that. I understand knowing something doesn't change your emotions presto-changeo, but think of it like this; if it will decrease the burden on your mom, crazy as she is, is your pride a large enough reason to not do it?

It's far more likely that your mom is stressing out over the burden of being the breadwinner on her while she's still in school and not making much money than it is that she feels it's 'shameful.' I could be wrong, obviously, but that's my guess.

You need to get out of there as soon as possible, regardless, so you can start growing up.

edit: It's "coming," not "comming." Understandable mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

bunnybean posted:

This to me reads like the verbal whiplash in the beginning of this thread was entirely warranted.

How do you know OP, if I might ask?

Just through AIM. I tend to use the goon AIM thread to find people to bullshit with while I work. We chatted for a couple of months, ending in mid-December.

I do feel sorry for him, he's in a lovely situation and because he's always been in it, it's going to be more difficult for him to get out.

He does need to grow up and get away from his drat parents, though. Unfortunately, that means a little bit of hardening the gently caress up and prioritizing.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Wait, you skipped all warehouse work.. why, exactly? Warehouses today are not like they were whenever your father is thinking of. Nor are all warehouse jobs incredibly physical. Things are automated to a large degree, and there are generally unions who have tried to make sure you're not going to kill yourself. Check local jobs in warehouses out and see if there are any that you could see yourself doing.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Ben, I am not going to be cruel and share any of the things you wrote that you shared with me, but you really need to dial back the 'WRITING! I'M A WRITER!" stuff. In and out of an interview. As someone else said, frame it as a hobby. Don't say you see yourself as published in X years, because that suggests you'll drop the job like a spicy keychain if anything better comes along, including getting published. There's nothing wrong with actually doing that, but you don't want your potential employers to realize you'll do it.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
When does the grill job start? We need to hear about a successful first day before the guy with the wooden keyboard gets terminal splinters.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Oh christ Benny I thought you'd be able to handle the cook job.

You're overthinking everything, except the things you need to be thinking about. See a loving therapist and don't lie to them or withhold any information.

Also, if what you showed me was your novel, uhhh you don't have a novel. I pray to god that was part of a short story.

Seriously, see a therapist. They can help you figure out what's going on. Stay away from that hillbilly bar, if you're still going. Yeah I blocked you, but even though I don't have time in my life for your inane conversations, I would still like for you to succeed and be a functional adult.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Good luck, Benny. See a drat therapist.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Benny, if you don't tell the thread things, people will start posting drama. You've told me a ton of poo poo despite us barely knowing each other or talking, so I'm sure other people know some of the things I know. Just re-reg or something if you want the problem to go away, but don't feel up to outlasting it.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Ben, if it hasn't occurred to you, it's completely okay to call up the doctor's office and say "uhhhh yeah my medication is $900 a month and I simply cannot afford that." There are plenty of anti-psychotics and anti-depressants that have generics now. If he refuses to try anything else, something's fishy, find another doctor.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Benny, are you taking all of your meds? Finding a way to afford them and get them in your face hole should be priority number one.

https://www.abilifyassistprogram.com/

I don't remember the others, but google is your friend.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Benny just apply for disability, get rejected the first time like nearly everyone else, re-apply, and use it to get your head figured out.
And cross your fingers that your parents will support you that long.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Sawboss Jones posted:

Benny, don't listen to this suggestion. The last thing you need right now is another reason to not hold down a job.

He's made it pretty clear he can't hold down a job. He quite liked the Target job, as far as jobs go, and was eager to keep it, yet lost it, and lost it because he thought too much about how to handle a mistake plenty of cart-movers make. I've talked to him quite a bit, mostly before this thread. He is not a functioning adult. His thought processes are skewed waaaaay beyond some ugh fields. Disability, as lovely as it is, is the best way to get him out of that house. He can (and hopefully will) make progress while he's living with his parents, but he'll be able to make more once he's not living in adolescent fear of his mom lighting his prized possessions on fire, and gets a taste of independence/freedom/progress.

Also, with his own apartment, he might actually be able to get laid and stop focusing so much time on getting laid. I stopped talking to him because, even after this thread was months old, every time we spoke, he was telling me his new plan to get hosed. Maybe a sentence about the job hunt/how work was going, if I asked.

I'm not encouraging him to give up, and I definitely don't mean 'stay on disability for the rest of your life, Benny.' He has far more mental issues than he's specified in this thread, partially because he doesn't know about them. I feel it's better to take the time now to tackle and deal with those issues than to keep getting and losing jobs because he over thinks everything for the next five, ten, however many years. The younger a person is, the easier it is, relatively, to deal with mental health issues.

(Sorry Benny, you're a nice dude, you're just up to your chin in problems that aren't easily solved)

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
It's stuff I've posted about him before. I'm not trying to shame him.
Also, the details I've shared are from conversations we had after I initially posted in this thread, and shared similar details. There was one thing he asked me not to post, and I didn't (he has since shared it with the thread). There are also plenty of specifics I'm leaving out, because they're not necessary.

I don't have the time to nurse/babysit him through conversations, so I no longer talk with him one on one. I still want him to overcome his issues and become a happy, functional adult, though. At this point, I truly do not believe he can hold down a job, and I truly believe the best course for him would be to focus on therapy. If the medications help, fantastic, but therapy is where a lot of his skewed mental processes will be addressed, and where he can learn to change them. Living with his parents is a situation that causes him stress, and could end at any moment. Disability seems like the only way to guarantee he has financial stability at a certain point.

I'm really not trying to shame him or anything, I just think it's ridiculous that the thread is still quizzing him about his resume and acting like advice from an internet thread alone can cure his issues.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Therapists also have sheets they give out specifically for that purpose. Although an app would be better, once you know what information they want.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Okay yeah, you've got issues, Benny. It happens. People are frustrated and giving you poo poo.
It may or may not be your fault that you've got issues. Who knows? Regardless, the only one who can help you get rid of them and function better is yourself. You can enlist the help of others, like your psych and therapist, but they can't do it for you. You have to. And you can, but you have to work at it.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
No he doesn't have a job yet. He got some, and then promptly lost them.

That drat Satyr posted:

Even 'super short' hair needs proper grooming.

This is true, Benny. Even if it's half-an-inch long, it needs combed and possibly styled.

Jesus Christ did your parents talk to you at all when you were 5-20 or so?

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Did you get laid yet Benny

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
(9:39:23 PM) Benny: see originally i wanted to set in in a coal mine in west virginia but that would be a little cliche

hahahaha

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Uncle Salty posted:

Why don't I buy this?

I don't know, but I don't buy it either. Possibly because it seems unlikely someone careless enough to use his SA-specific AIM name elsewhere would put in the effort to stick with a fake name. Possibly because he's so open and honest about everything when talking to people one-on-one. There doesn't seem to be any exception to that.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Benny's amazing attention to detail strikes again.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Tyrannosaurus posted:

And all the E/Ners and Thunderdomers looked up and shouted "Get some drat healthcare!"

... and Benny looked down and whispered "No."

That would require him acknowledging something he's trying to ignore, so not gonna happen.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

docbeard posted:

Was Benny even alive in 1990?

And what business does 1990 have being 24 years ago, anyway!

If he was he was literally a newborn.

DopeGhoti posted:

Nice knowing you, BKPR.

I kind of suspect at least part of Benny "ignoring" this thread's advice might be a facet of his low-effort-itis. When he comes back to post on the thread, he probably might just be reading the last page before replying, leaving most of the "Benny just posted" serious replies to never have been seen.

So how about that healthcare, Benny?

No way. He reads it all. He just cherry-picks. I can't explain why he still bothers replying, though. Would be easier if he just... stopped. He could still participate in Thunderdome, it's not like the mods are (probably) going to ban him if he doesn't come in here and spew lip-service occasionally.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

That drat Satyr posted:

Let's just face it: tomorrow finally came.

But I do have to say, Benny, I am a little put off that after all the help I've offered you both in thread and outside that you'd block me on messenger for inquiring about how you're doing.

He probably noticed the pattern of him annoying IM contacts to the point where they either ignore him, mock him a little bit in this thread (like I did), or mock him a whole lot and divulge things he's told them in confidence.

Magnus Gallant posted:

Benny you super suck.

Super duper super hard.

You suck!

SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK.

I just got a new job with two felonies in my criminal background. A full-time job that pays well. With only a high school diploma.

Like seriously benny.

YOU SUCK!!!!!!

Well what were the felonies

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Magnus Gallant posted:

Drug felonies. Convicted two months ago.

Nice, congrats. Hope it's a tolerable job.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Benny, if it is a scam, don't let you talk yourself into staying because 'it's a job at least.' I mean, if they're scamming someone else and you're fine with it, fine. But if it's MLM or entirely commission-based (doubtful since it's data entry, unless they're purposefully misusing that term) get out of there.

Good luck, dude. You're a total dumbass sometimes but you can grow out of that, and therapy will help you do so faster.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey guys. My first week went well, I guess. I was asking questions constantly to my manager, but he's thankfully a very patient person. I've made like six or seven sales so far but one of them had to be cancelled on Friday because our warehouses didn't have it in stock. I double-checked the inventory of all my listings but I forgot to check a handful of them before I left, so I'm nervous that there may be another cancelled order come Monday. What's worse is that we didn't make much of a profit off my sales. At first, my manager had me price items according to the competition and then on Friday he changed the pricing structure based on markup. This was because I was starting their eBay account so the idea was we'd dip our toes into that market. Even if we didn't make much of a profit, we could at least build customer satisfaction. I also spent Friday re-pricing every listing and I had to end a good chunk of them because our competitors were undercutting us. It's tedious work but overall it's not too bad. I'm dong my best to prevent carpel tunnel syndrome by stretching my wrists regularly. For some reason, I've developed stomach pains. I don't know if it's stress or something else. Looking forward to Monday.

Your competitors are idiots and are going to continue to undercut you. That's what people trying to make it big on eBay do. They think making a sale is more important than anything else. The upside to this is people get suspicious of listings that are basically too cheap to be true. Did you decide to delete the listings on your own? I hope not.

You started the company eBay account? Jesus, have these people sold anything online, anywhere, before? It sounds like they haven't.

Don't let them blame you for the learning curve that is already happening, the one where the first example is bored housewives checking prices daily and lowering them. Also, have you done anything on Amazon? People assume everything from Amazon is 'better,' and from a real company, and are therefore willing to pay more.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Benny the Snake posted:

I don't have insurance yet. Medi-Cal takes a very, very long time. During my lunch break today, I called several dentist offices in my area and a local dentist school. I found an office that charges $35 for the checkup (x-rays and cleaning) and they gave me a ballpark figure of around $50-120 for fillings, which is cheaper than the quotes I got from the school. My appointment is set for 3:30 on Wednesday. I'm going to talk to my manager tomorrow and explain that I'll have to leave an hour early the next day to make it to my appointment.

EDIT: the office accepts Medi-Cal, so hopefully my insurance comes in before my appointment.

Research that office on review sites. There are lovely, shady dentists all over, and sometimes they have very low rates to attract more patients. They're not automatically shady due to lower rates, but I would definitely check Yelp and the google reviews that come up when you google them.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Benny the Snake posted:

I talked to my manager and he said it's okay that I leave an hour early tomorrow for my appointment. Right now I feel like I might need three or four fillings. The entire right side of my jaw hurts. I don't know if it's because my bottom wisdom teeth haven't grown in yet or not. I hope not. I've heard how to get ingrown wisdom teeth out, a dentist needs to cut through the gums and yank out the tooth. It sounds painful and expensive. I'm going to call Medi-Cal tomorrow as well and see if I'm a member yet or not.

We had a meeting today and I've been given new duties. Now I'm in charge making and maintaining listings on eBay, handling, inspecting, and processing returns, and posting them on Craigslist to turn a quick profit and clear space in the back. We have a lot of returns in the back and it's now my job to clear them out. I've made three CL sales so far and about 20 sales on eBay. The weekend was a huge boost in sales.

EDIT: I think I might have a cavity in my back wisdom tooth. If it hasn't grown out yet, is it still possible to get a filling in there, or would they have to pull it out?

I had to have two impacted wisdom teeth surgically removed, the pain was honestly about the same as the pain from the one that had to be yanked normally. The antibiotics and pain killers both come in generics, make sure you mention you need generics to the dentist. It's really not a big process. No idea how much it cost because I had insurance at the time, sorry.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Benny the Snake posted:

Yeah, but I miss it.

you can write up entries for practice when you have time. Not for submission, just for practice. You can probably even find someone to give you generalized feedback.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
I don't think people were ragging on him for getting the note itself, I know I found the term 'excuse note' a rather child-like phrase. That would be a momentary 'huh, weird' with anyone else, but with Benny, it's a little bit amazing

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
It's good that you're writing again but that isn't going to distract most of the thread, dude. If you haven't called yet, tell the truth and explain why. If you're anxious about it, there are people with the patience to give you advice on how to handle your anxiety. I personally put things like that off because I don't want to find out, so I can enjoy the possibility of things going my way a little longer. It's understandable, but seriously. If you don't take care of your teeth they will get bad, really bad, in a surprisingly short time. A chick I know with weird issues has gone from having crooked-as-hell teeth, to braces, to an amazing, Hollywood smile, and then back to never smiling because she didn't take care of her goddamn teeth and now they look visibly unhealthy.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Magnus Gallant posted:

That was a terrible story benny. Sorry.

it was incredibly cliche

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
yeah people with mental and physical health issues are just to darn inept to work, that's why they're on disability

Seriously, you dumb poo poo, disability is for people who cannot function. You are loving terrible at functioning. Don't act like you're too good or too mature or too functional, because you sure as poo poo are not.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
edit: /\/\/\/\ No you see since he's lazy it's magically okay to write him off and never help him ever.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Sorry, I forgot, laziness is totally a disability, my bad.

This is beyond lazy. Is Benny lazy? Most definitely. But there's also something fundamentally flawed with either his brain or his thought patterns, or both.

Also, I'm not certain that disability is the answer for Benny, only he can really know. I would think it's not the worst idea, because he'd be able to help his parents.

As someone with multiple mental health issues that people often view as 'laziness' and 'being weak-willed' and other dumb poo poo, you are terrible and your opinions are terrible.

Benny, is your mom still the only one working? This is part of the reason a lot of people are suggesting assistance. Your mother is trying to support a household of four people. This is difficult to do, especially since, as someone who is/was going back to school, she's probably not making a whole hell of a lot.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Seriously, the choices are

A. Help him fix himself, or at least minimize him getting more broken, or
B. Let him continue to get more and more broken. The more broken, the more effort, time, and resources it's gonna take on other people's parts to help him get less broken.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Benny the Snake posted:

The insurance can only be handled by my parents because they were the ones who signed us up as a family. Medi-Cal is requesting financial information which only they could provide. Again, the reason why I'm not applying on my own is because they already have my name in the system.

So loving call them up and find out why you haven't been approved. The waiting period is ten days. You have not heard from them. Something is not happening that needs to happen.

You can get that information from your parents (possibly just your mom, I don't think your dad works) and you can submit it to Medical. Your name's in the system? Awesome! Super loving awesome! You can't pay for your dental work by saying "oh, Medical has my name in their system, can you? No? THEN loving CALL THEM.

Benny the Snake posted:

I spoke to my library director. I'm now in charge of posting books to sell online. I'll start with the 50 cent books to chum the waters and from there we'll sell more.

oh my god you are so dumb

You're not going to chum any waters with old books. Chumming the waters would involve introducing something new to a market. You're not doing that.

Benny the Snake posted:

Our plan is to also post nicer books for a higher price than what we would sell inside but first I need to experiment online to see if there's a market.

No, you don't need to expiriment online. You need to look online to see what other people are already charging the exact same thing you're selling, and adjust prices or abandon the project entirely based on your research. Research is a very important thing, dude, and you don't ever seem to want to do it.

Benny the Snake posted:

We also plan to post locally so that we can direct our customers to pick up the books over here and then show them the shelves where we sell more books so that hopefully they'll buy more while they're here. That will make shipping costs a non-issue.

This part is not the worst idea, but don't freak people out, or stare at them, or try and talk up the books. Just.. let them browse. Make yourself scarce.

Also ahahaha that you thought you'd be able to make a job out of that. You need to spend time in therapy. A lot of time. Having someone help you unravel your extremely unhelpful, immature, and weird thought patterns.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Starter Wiggin posted:

There are AmeriCorps members affiliated with libraries and/or working with literacy programs.
Now do I warrant a reply?

Benny you are running a shopping cart over shooting yourself in the foot if you don't at least Google this.

Everyone just quote this

THERAPY!!
INSURANCE!!
FIX YO TEEF!!

Seriously, a therapist can help you stop lying. And help you slowly correct some of the self-sabotaging thought patterns you have.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm not posting my diploma. I just submitted my application to Medi-Cal but I won't hear from them for 30 days.

Okay good! Did you get any positive feeling from completing that task? Satisfaction, or at least relief?

If not, you should have. Not enough for you to coast on for six months (or even six days) but a small positive feeling

If not, remember that for therapy.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Darth123123 posted:

When will mods shut this down? I'm here too long I known

never, our only hope is to vote it a one and pray it gets gassed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow