Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
I hate to defend Benny, but I understand where he's coming from to an extent--I am an adult with a job and a child and a marriage and poo poo, and I recently messed up on some dates on a background check (I put that I worked with a company for X amount of time, forgetting that I was actually a temp working through an agency for part of it) and I fretted for the two days it took to get resolved. So absolutely positive that this was what was going to keep me from getting considered for the job, I was done now, I had screwed up...

It's hard to teach yourself not to do that, and it's easy behaviour to slip back into, especially if you're already stressed and not really approaching things logically (or if you're not terribly introspective, as is the case with ol' Benny here).

Hey Benny--I mean, you kinda don't read the replies in this thread in any consistent way, but if you happen to read this one--the McDonalds thing is over, man. You might get the job, you might not. It might be because of the two weeks notice thing, it might not. Fretting about it won't help. Learn from your mistake and move on.

Edit--in retrospect that sounded a little condescending, so I removed it.

Palisader fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Graduation ceremony... for what?

Sounds like a fancy way of saying the end of his 90 day probationary period.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Sounds like a fancy way of saying he finished college in december like he said he did and is going to have a graduation ceremony that weekend.

Oops. I am the best at reading comprehension.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah, I'm leaning on the side of deliberate trolling at this point.

Benny: I think I should use the RTI service!
Everyone: That's a terrible idea, RTI only helps you get interviews.
Benny: Yeah, I get interviews easy enough. I definitely think I should buy RTI!
Everyone: What? No, you need someone to help you ace an interview, not get one.
Benny: Thanks everyone, I bought the RTI!
Everyone: :suicide:

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes, that whole story now seems beyond weird knowing that this is a legit firm providing legit if overpriced services. I don't know if the guy interviewing Benny was just a flake, or if Benny misread him.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Benny probably misread him, but it's absolutely true that there are simply people who do not know how to interview well.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

I know hearing a lot of criticism is really difficult Benny, and I know what you want to do is to immediately defend yourself, but think of this--I had (well, have I guess, it's not like it died or anything) a blog that I stopped updating some time ago in order to focus more on other projects, and I decided not too long ago that I'd like to start writing again. I read through the posts critiquing your blog and thought "man, I would love to have a group of people just tear into my poo poo for a bit." Yeah it's hard, and yeah it hurts your pride, but you will always benefit from learning what you need to improve upon.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Eris posted:

But you also need to accept the fact that there may not be any professorial or librarian jobs within walking distance of moms house. Or even in the state.

Or at all. I was on course towards finishing my bachelors at school that has a pretty good library sciences program in the hopes of ultimately getting my masters there when the libraries started shutting down. That was back in what, 2007? It's now 2013, libraries don't really hire new people anymore, at least around here.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

darkwasthenight posted:

Who was that guy with the string of terrible relationship decisions (oh wait, that's everyone who posts in E/N)? Had a crazy wife, posted several threads about crazy wife, finally got divorced, promptly knocked up the babysitter or something similar?

LLJKsilk or however it's spelled?

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

I want to thank the thread because, like a lot of you, it caused me to read the Thunderdome and decide to enter this week. I'm pretty sure what I've written has too much set up, and I've noticed that I stay away from dialogue because that's a weakness of mine, but hell it's the first time I've actually finished a story in 5 years.

Thank you, Benny! I will dedicate the harsh but helpful criticism I receive to you.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Since we are never, ever, ever getting a response from Benny about the healthcare situation, I thought I'd throw out my favorite part of this thread, which is watching new people come in.

Phase one: You guys are being too harsh! Jeez, goons.
Phase two: Here is some good advice, couched in extremely pleasant terms.
Phase three: You didn't take my good advice, Benny, so I'm going to say it again! Maybe you didn't see it last time.
Phase four: So uh, about that advice I mentioned?
Phase five: GODDAMNIT BENNY.

It's a good 40% of why I keep reading this thread.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

It's always a little sad when a good E/N thread eventually peters out. Goodbye Benny the Snake. May you long fuel terrible jokes about runaway shopping carts.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Good job Benny. I genuinely hope you're telling the truth because it would be nice for something positive to happen for you, even after all of your...well, Benniness. I really, really hope you stick with this for a while, long enough that you can earn some self-confidence. And consistent appointments with the therapist.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah I'd be down for some old crochet books or like, sewing guides for beginners. I'll consider it the least I can do for the library that's putting up with you.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

MEMRI posted:

lol Benny definitely doesn't have a degree

At this point it doesn't really matter whether he has one or not. The benefit of having a degree has been effectively canceled out by literally everything else that he does.

I've been following this thread since day one, but I don't remember if anyone suggested Leapforce or Lionsbridge to him yet. I've been doing Leapforce since this is the dry season for my business (I crochet stuff) and it is really mind-numbing search engine rating.

Of course, you have to post a minimum number of hours so maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

systran posted:

I did Lionbridge all throughout college. It made me like $500-$700/month in extra money for a few hours a day. They used to let you just kind of do poo poo and as long as you did it okay you kept going. My wife is doing it now and they constantly make her do unpaid training, and if her quality rating slips down she has to do like several-hour training sessions that don't pay her. I honestly don't think Benny could handle it; his quality rating would go down and he'd probably just quit when they made him take one of those courses. He wouldn't be able to hit the ten hours per week minimum either.

That's true enough. My husband did Lionsbridge when he first moved to the US and got dumped pretty suddenly after six months and no dip in quality. I'm lucky in that the project I'm working with has such low volume that there's no posted minimum, but still. I'm also realizing that the reason that it all seems pretty easy is because I spent a couple of hours before I started reading the documents and chatting with other raters and things like that, something Benster wouldn't do.

• Locked thread