Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Gnack posted:

Kind of surprised that the goon hivemind has come down on the side of a couple of overly religious bigots.

The parents opinions on gay marriage is the least important aspect of this entire situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Gnack posted:

Except that the whole situation kicked off because the mother couldn't handle catching a glance of some lesbians sinning against god or whatever the gently caress

But thats not the point. Their mom could really loving hate the actor or Chicago or fire and she'd still be right. It doesn't matter at all. The fact that you think the specific topic of the conflict was the important part shows you missed the point.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Gnack posted:

Except there's nothing bigoted about hating the actor or Chicago or fire. I don't think it's reasonable to expect someone to be sensitive to someone else's bigotry but I understand that's not the popular opinion here.

I expect them to be sensitive to their mother's wishes on what they watch on her TV in her house, regardless of what it is or why. They not only don't contribute, his brother is actively making life harder for them. How do you not understand this?

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Quixotic posted:

Being the owner of the house doesn't mean that you're allowed to be a bigoted poo poo.

Actually it does

quote:

The expectations for what makes a good person remain exactly the same. Morality and decency is not defined by property ownership.

But don't you see that regardless of what the reason for the objection was, the situation this family is in is exactly the same?

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

cda posted:

Nope. Because if the objection was reasonable the situation wouldn't be the same.

But it doesn't have to be reasonable. Let's say the mom just really didn't like Chicago Fire for whatever acceptable reason you can think of. Its her house, her TV, she works, she goes to school, her adult children are not homeless and fed because of her. Her adult kids are jobless, don't contribute, and one even has put them in debt.

Shes in her living room after a long day and doesn't want to watch that show. It should not be a debate and discussion. None of that changes because of the reason for the argument, its as I said before, the least of their issues.

ClemenSalad fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 1, 2013

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

gigawhite posted:

Because he has career aspirations and hobbies people don't like.

Hes a volunteer secretary.

Theres no reason he can't get 10-20 hours at McD's or something to save some money or contribute.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Safe and Secure! posted:

If she didn't then he'd be a productive member of society instead of crying here. Obligations don't disappear just you fail to fulfill them. His parents had a duty to prepare him to become an adult. Just because it's taken them over twenty-two (?) years to do so and they still haven't succeeded doesn't mean it's not their responsibility anymore.

He's 22 his parents can't make him do anything at this point. If he was my kid he would either have a job, be in school (for something with prospects down the line), or out of my house at this age.

Edit: And to the guy earlier who said it was really hard to get a McD's type job, unless he lives in the ruralest of rural small towns, theres plenty of work to be had at those wages the turnover is huge and theres a big demand for them even at the worst of the recession.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Aerofallosov posted:

Hey, I'm just saying that giant holes of unemployment on your resume are considered red flags/checks against you. It's better to volunteer at something than do nothing at all. Unemployment gaps can be a pain to overcome.

Folks don't realize that yeah, McD's had about 100,000 jobs open up... and over a million applicants.

And talking to his parents about his plans is probably a wise thing to do.

A farming firm couldn't get enough applicants to pick the harvest so a lot of it spoiled. My dumb anecdote cancels out your dumb anecdote.

And OP I'm also speaking generally about McDs. If being a secretary is your thing you can probably get paid to be one on the side while you are volunteering.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Aerofallosov posted:

Too bad it's not a dumb anecdote and there may not be farms in his area. Oh, and I was wrong. Only 62000 jobs, most of them part time. Awesome.

Anecdote doesn't mean "fake".

In any case OP. Have someone at your office look at your resume and see about using those "connections" ASAP to get a paid position. Is there a timeline for this volunteer thing? Do you get some sort of certification at the end? What kind of skills/learning program are you learning about there? From what you said its unpaid generic office assistant/secretary work and if that's all it is you need to move on.

In the meantime, getting a 10-20 hour part time job isn't out of the question and despite what some people here say I think we both know its doable if you really want it.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Grandpas a Racist posted:

Don't ever take a McJob. Don't ever take an unpaid internship. Use this time to spruce up the résumé, gutcheck it with the rés thread here we have in SA. Get a decent entry position job at some office that allows you to pay rent and think about your future. Also respect your mom bro

edit: I still can't spare you much sympathy for living at home for so long with having to put in so little, I'm just saying, now that you may actually have the chance to fake-it-till you make it, take it. The gently caress are you doing walking around handing out résumés on the street? I think its tied to some romanticism you fall on like a crutch, which reflects how you hold comic book collecting in such high regard such as to suggest you experience it as a higher calling—using it to justify discretionary expenditures.

You need to face reality. You have no fire under your rear end. Light it. Your mom/dad will be alot less stressed out and hating you if they see you going to interviews. You will get interviews with a proper résumé. Use indeed.com and craigslist. No way you can't make this happen.

Never go back to that bar.

Listen to this man OP.

But if hes never had a real job before he might just have to suck it up and do retail or something for a few years. I'd never hire some dude whos never worked at 22 for an important career-type job if I had other choices.

And OP, the reason I'm grilling you about the unpaid internship is because those need to be structured with a goal. I did an unpaid internship for 8 months. Worked 40 hours a week for free. HOWEVER, I had a clear plan on what I would be learning every week, its skilled, technical work (not menial office work), it would allow me to take board exams and easily pass, and basically guaranteed me a job at that hospital or somewhere else. You need to have that level of confidence before you commit free time like that.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

You wouldn't hire a college graduate? Because a lot of them are 22 and haven't worked before.

Also having "a few years of retail" on your resume proves nothing. It might even be a detriment, because "Why were you working in retail for so long? Couldn't you find a better job?"

OP, I'm sorry about your situation. It's tough and you just have to deal with it for now. But you don't deserve this massive goon dogpile.

If I had two technically qualified people for the job and one of them had worked before (doing anything) as opposed to the other person doing nothing. I'd hire the former. It lets me know that they've been able to handle a structured work environment with others, thats not always a given. Since when did it become common to not work during high school or college? I can only think of one person I've ever met who actually graduated and didn't work, he was a football player.

The only reason I suggested the OP work retail for a few years (if he couldn't get anything better) is because its better than doing nothing or volunteering doing menial work. This would also allow him to move out, a big plus in his book I'd guess.

And OP your parents will be much more relaxed and amicable if their son is succeeding and doing something.

ClemenSalad fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 1, 2013

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm making phone calls as we speak to the places I submited resumes.

He's just being a sarcastic rear end in a top hat thinking he's owning me or others in this thread.

Keep at it dude it'll happen and keep your mind open to jobs you think are "dead ends", few jobs are.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

gigawhite posted:

It's because people come into these threads wanting to pick on the OP based on no information whatsoever, built upon this deterministic concept that the unemployed just aren't trying hard enough to get a job. It's an attitude that is really hurting the young unemployed right now and it's due to people like you who have no idea what things are like right now. It's complete idiocy, clemen.

You're dead inside.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

cda posted:

Like queer folks can't internalize homophobia :rolleyes:

Jesus you're disgusting.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

junesongs posted:

and really the only way that job hunting doesn't suck is if you know someone that works in a position that matters enough to say anything or to influence someone else who can get you a job. at this point if absolutely no one seems to be taking the op as a new hire i feel like in addition to calling places back like a hawk the best way to go about getting hired anywhere is to go through acquaintances who can get you in

Yea OP this is where connections at the internship are key, even for a lower level job. Do your bosses like you? Do you get along with the coworkers? Any of these people could be a good connection or at least a solid reference for your resume. (just in case you didn't have it already)

If you have a good employee who you like and trust, and he says Mary would be a good fit. Do you go with the stack of unknown resumes on your desk or trust your coworker's judgement and give Mary an interview? Its not sinister or sleazy its just a good decision.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

Well, tell me what word in the following sentence confuses you. "Not every unemployed person can get a job because there are simply less jobs than there are unemployed people."

I find it to be an incredibly simple and easy to understand concept, if there were 5 apples and 6 people, at least one person is not going to have a whole apple. I am honestly confused as to how anyone with any basic knowledge in arithmetic could have trouble understanding this. Perhaps you could elaborate for me because you seem to be one such person who believe everyone could succeed if they tried hard enough despite there literally not being enough success to go around from a mathematical standpoint.

Because that's not what an unemployment rate usually signifies, especially in a first world country. You have a child's understanding of it.

Basically you believe that because X number of people are without jobs, that MUST mean there are Y-X jobs available, that isn't true at all.

I guess I'll explain a bit more. Unemployment rates in a country like the US is mainly an indicator of distribution. A fantastic studied example of this is history majors. That major has become overwhelmingly popular in the last 40 years and we have more majors of that now (as a %) than most societies in human history. As an aside, many of these people have little interest in history which contributes to the issue. Now in the 70's-90's, these people often got basic office jobs in rapidly growing corporations. When the recession hit and as these jobs became more technical, the companies needed to cut back or hire people with a more relevant skillset. Now this is a problem for those history majors. They need to lower their expectations and consider other job opportunities other than an easy office job. This is a frustrating thing for people who realize their investment isn't going how they expected (regardless of what indications there were), understandably so. So many of them don't look for those types of jobs.

That's just one tangible example but the point is the "6 people 5 apples" isn't the case at all and isn't what an unemployment rate means in the US.

Edit: Also please don't get hung up on lib arts majors or anything. This holds true for literally any profession in that situation, insert whatever ideologically acceptable skillset you wish.

ClemenSalad fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 2, 2013

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

http://www.bls.gov/web/jolts/jlt_labstatgraphs.pdf

Department of labor straight up says that for everyone 1 job opening there is >1 unemployed person. This means that if the maximum number of unemployed people got jobs, you'd hit a point where there were 0 job openings but >0 unemployed people.

What part of this is confusing? At what point are you willing to acknowledge that those >0 people who want jobs but for which there 0 jobs available might not be at fault for not having a job?

I added an edit in my above post to explain a bit more but if that's how you interpret that stat then I don't think there's really a way for us to come to an understanding. Your conclusion about what the OP should do about that stat doesn't follow at all either. E/N probably isn't the place for it in any case.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

You haven't made any tangible rebuttal, you've shared your personal thoughts with no statistics or sources to back them up and I have no reason to refute them because they're as misguided as they are baseless.

Those aren't my personal thoughts. You posted a source with a very obvious non understanding of what they signified.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm still confused as to how clemen could see a government source that literally says "The unemployed persons per job opening ratio has trended downward since the end of the recession and was 3.3 in November 2012."

Clemen what this means as directly stated in quite plain and easy to understand English is that for every 1 job opening there is over 3 people who don't have a job but want one. Lets say that means there are 100 jobs and 330 unemployed people. If those 100 jobs were immediately filled you would still have 230 unemployed people but 0 jobs remaining. This has nothing to do with your major, your skills, your expertise, whatever, there are simply less jobs in existence than people looking for jobs. It is mathematically impossible for all 330 of those people to get a job.

This was a government source, and I notice you ran away with your tail in between your legs when I asked you to provide something other than baseless conjecture but I'm honestly curious as to how you misinterpreted this in the first place. A child should be able to understand a 1 apple 3 people example.

You keep saying simple english but thats not what it means at all, by anyone who studies economics. Its an issue of distribution of jobs of varying complexities and professions. Thats why different rates exist for different professions and thats a general statisitc. Your reading it extremely myopically and its honestly weird. I never doubted your source and why you posted it 3 times like it proves your point is really confusing because we were discussing what those numbers mean, not if they exist. You clearly seem to have an ideological reason to believe this and I'm not gonna argue with you further over it (I also went to sleep last night). The OP has updated his thread.

OP your nuclear option 1 is probably a no go legally but the bigger problem is the communication issue and perception. Your parents view you as children. And honestly at this point they are right. Do you think your parents would care (to the point of huge arguments) if you read comic books if you were independent? Your parents see two troubled kids who aren't succeeding and because of their beliefs view things like violent, sexual TV and comic books as bad influences on you. They clearly love you or they would have just kicked you out. So try and work with that. The best way to make these things stop is not to threaten them with lawsuits over comic books, but improve yourself. There have been a lot of great pieces of advice here you should explore them.

ClemenSalad fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 2, 2013

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
Your mom slapping your brother is one of the least important things going on in your life. The dude wouldn't watch PG TV around his mom, is completely dependent on for everything, told her to go gently caress herself and refused to give her his cell phone (which is likely hers to begin with). He's the worse person by far than an ill tempered middle aged mother who needs to keep her hands to herself. You told her you'd call the police if it happens again, there problem solved.

I also can't believe you're going to write up legal loving documents to protect your comic books when your life is such a mess. You sound like a rules lawyering 17 year old trying to negociate a totally unfair curfew.

Literally no job is beneath you at this point, stop making excuses for why you don't apply to some places.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

CrazyTolradi posted:

As many have pointed out, it's not a simple matter of just getting "any" job. He is overqualified for pretty much any minimum wage position, and any hiring manager is going to see he's going to look for better anyway. I'm told the job market in the US is generally poo poo right now, which means hundreds of applicants for any position. Out of which, a hiring manager will take on the person who they think will stick around the longest and won't be able to job hunt up the "ladder", so to speak.

He's an english lit major who's never had a job. He's not overqualified for anything what are you talking about?

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

E1M1 posted:

Having any sort of degree pretty much precludes you from a lot of "lovely jobs" because they assume you won't be around for long. I'm sorry your valuation of a lit degree is so low that you can't realize that.

No, it really doesn't. Unless you have a master's degree or something you aren't going to be passed over. OP, if this is a concern you can leave it off your resume. And the only reason I mentioned it was a lit degree was to show that it was non technical so minimum wage jobs aren't "above him".

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

Don't get me wrong. Nothing is beneath a person as long as it's honest. It's just that I'm very much over-qualified for fast food/warehouse work. Besides, I figure I'd listen to, you know, the guy who's a college graduate and has employment working campaigns. It worked for him apparently.

I can't believe you believe this. Where did this entitlement come from? It usually comes from accomplishments and stuff, not thin air. Your dude is only right if you were going to make fast food a career. But you need money to move out and work experience doing loving anything because you're 22 and never had a job. You aren't overqualified for anything here.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm starting to understand why you've been having so much trouble finding minimum wage work.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Kommando posted:

And here I thought america was the land of oppertunity. :911:

Isnt there an office in town in need of a gofer or secretary, hell even a plain old clerk.
Are you that hard up that you cant get a job in your professional field? Has unemployment gotten that bad?

No he just has no interest in writing or teaching English Lit (which was his major).

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
It honestly doesn't even matter if they respond to you or not. The important thing was that YOU followed up.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

razz posted:

I've had good luck with the job agencies/Manpower type places. They got me a job working as a veterinarian's assistant that paid 3-4 bucks above minimum wage which was good enough for me at the time!

Also every week I had to go pick up my paycheck at the place and if I hadn't missed a day of work that week I got to spin the prize wheel! And win a candy bar or some other bullshit. That's how lovely your average worker is. So lovely that you get rewarded with candy for simply showing up to work on time!

Its amazing how you can become the golden boy in retail as a high schooler just by showing up.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

almightyerin posted:

OP why you so litigious anyway?

He doesn't act like an adult so his parents don't treat him like one and he tries to get around that (other than growing up, never that) by making contracts and other stupid poo poo over comic books. Remember when you were 16 or so and always tried to rules lawyer your way around things? Its that.

ClemenSalad fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 4, 2013

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
^^^Whoa you saw my computer screen didn't you :v:

Telling the interviewer you have family issues during a job interview immediately tells them

A. I will be distracted
B. I will be emotional
C. I can't separate my home and work (haha) life because I brought it up in an interview.

For those types of questions, the previous examples others put forth are great answers. If none of those really fit you, use this model:

I (mild issue), but I am working on or have resolved that by (common solution).

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Quixotic posted:

Why do you people think that fast food is some sort of endless producer of easily obtainable jobs? Do you think we could solve the nation's unemployment problem if we just built more Hardee's?

Because of their turnover they are almost always hiring and they are right at the OPs current skill/experience level.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
Have you ever thought about working in a hospital in your area? Not something you would think about first for lower end jobs but they need TONS of clerks, couriers, patient transport etc. Hospitals are almost always hiring. For example, my hospital has 584 job listings and tons of them are right up your alley.

Only thing is you need to be completely drug free and not have a serious criminal record, but I'm sure you would qualify for that. Remember a majority of jobs drug test prior to employment so stop smoking weed if you do that.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Quixotic posted:

I'll remember that next time I drive on a highway paved with Hardee's past the dam built out of leaking Hardees on my way to a national park brought to you by Hardeestm.

Who built the highways and the dams?

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

Well there's a hospital up the street and I have an aunt who works there as a nurse. Would I need first aid training to work so much as a receptionist at a hospital right? I'm just making sure what kind of training I'd need for this kind of thing. And besides, a hosptial job would be great. I'm gonna call her today and ask.

I doubt you would need first aid but definitely ask that would be awesome man. Theres a lot of spots/jobs there that could be up your alley.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
I think he thinks sending out one or two apps every few days (from what I'm seeing from his posts) is a lot. Also the Peace Corps is a really bad idea.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

toby posted:

Join the circus.

I hear there is money in crime as well.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

CountingCrows posted:

So goons, is the job market in good o'l America really this dismal?

No its really, really overexaggerated. There is literally zero reason why the OP can't get a min wage job somewhere. But remember, hes "above" warehouse work, and selling insurance for some reason.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

CravingSolace posted:

If you bothered to read the thread, you'd see that the OP has applied in plenty of places besides fast-food joints, but as this point needs a job and is diligently applying everywhere to do so.

Hes done in 2 weeks what I did in 2 days when I was looking. He has a wildly different view of trying, he has nothing else to do with his time. Its better than nothing though I guess but I'm not gonna congratulate it.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
His parents already cover his needs I'm sure they'd be thrilled to help stop that be it a ride or even first months rent.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

I had to commute via buses to school. Took me an hour and a half and I had to hop three buses. The simpler and less time, the better.

What the hell else do you have to do with your time? You realize job experience is more important than your stupid english degree you are doing nothing with right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

If public transportation here in So-Cal was as good as in New York or Boston, I'd have no problems with an hour and a half commute. But let me tell you-our system is terrible. If a bus beaks down, you can stand there for a good hour or more. That's why I'm focusing on employment that's less than an hour away via public transportaton commute. And besides, six places so far are hiring, all within easy access. I'm working with the best I can.

"six places so far are hiring"

That was tuesday morning for me job hunting. Are you gonna have to be homeless on the street for awhile before you become hungry enough to actually try? You disgust me sometimes but not so much as the people coddling you trying to blame the economy for your failure when its clearly your lack of effort at this point in time.

• Locked thread