Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

Benny the Snake posted:

I think that's irrelivant.

If you think that's irrelevant then you've really learned nothing from this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

Benny the Snake posted:

gently caress. I just had the interview. Tiny company-operated out of a house and garage. I did a really good job answering questions. Maybe I hosed up somewhere. But I was turned down. The walls were closing in on me, and now they're closing in faster.

The whole contract thing was a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that I was cleaing up a mess that Danny made. I don't trust him. At all. The fucker almost broke my nose. He actually said "What do you want me to do? Sell my soul?" in front of us. But right now I'm throwing out the contract. Either I'm going to loan them the $300 and never get it back or I'll refuse and see other things like groceries get cut instead. I'm in a bad situation and I don't know how the gently caress I'm going to get out.

What did they say when they rejected you right away for a menial job?

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001
If a candidate told me he gets flustered easily, I would definitely read into that and assume he's:

A) A poor performer under tight deadlines.
B) A poor performer under stress.
C) Unable to quickly adapt to unexpected situations.

So, yeah, I wouldn't hire you either.

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001
So goons, is the job market in good o'l America really this dismal? Or does OP give off vibes of "Hahahah, yeah right" whenever someone considers him for even the most menial low skilled job?

I don't wanna be an rear end, but I'd imagine I could get a minimum wage job at McDonald's or a supermarket within a month without that much difficulty. Is this really not true?

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

razorrozar posted:

Pay no attention to ClemenSalad. Yes, it's abysmal. There are a lot more unemployed than there are jobs, and turnover is not nearly as high as fuckheads keep claiming it is. I personally know 35 year olds with a bachelor's degree that have worked in fast food for three years because they're goddamn terrified that they will be unable to feed their families.

I understand that this is the reality of the situation, but OP is not supporting a family. And your friends have fast food jobs.

Is it so bad that a regular dude can't get a fast food job over 3 months of trying?

I guess what I'm trying to say, is I suspect OP is looking for a 40k/year job (where, like you said, the unemployment rate is hitting the hardest, keeping your friends tragically underemployed) but essentially bullshitting the thread about how hard he's working to get a job at Burger King, because even though Mommy is mean, he's living a drat comfortable life.

CountingCrows fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 16, 2013

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

Benny the Snake posted:

I've passed it to a few friends who said it has potential, and I have a good friend who's well-read and my editor. He wants five chapters before we can talk.

Oh sweet goon. You're a pretty naive dude.

Consider getting opinions from those who are not your friends.

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

Toriori posted:

You kind of just glazed over the teaching overseas, but why not? You don't have kids, you're young, you aren't tied down...do it! You can go just about anywhere you want! See new places, learn new things! Even learning the language isn't something you -have- to do. Would it help? Definitely! A guy I work with was telling me about his brother who taught in Japan for 5 years and even now has a tenuous grasp on speaking and reading the language. Isn't there somewhere you've always wanted to travel? May as well get paid to do it.

If you haven't figured it out yet, OP does not want to leave his parents' home under any circumstances.

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey but when one door closes, another door opens. I applied to 2Shoopper as a freelance blogger, and now they want a writing sample! I've sent one already.

Post the writing sample in the thread and I will correct it for you.

CountingCrows fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 21, 2013

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

Benny the Snake posted:

I remember how hard it was to breathe inside of the humidifiers.

I know working inside a gardencenter makes it ridiculously hard to breathe, but just for a second, let me tell you about coal miners and black lung.

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm going to say that my greatest flaw is a tendency to focus on an immediate task to the point where it impedes on my ability to multitask.

Strike two.

Edit: I feel like your issue might be an inability to understand how you are perceived by others, because you should immediately be able to see how that response is received along with everything negative you're unknowingly telling a potential employer by saying that. And you think it's a GOOD thing to say. To someone who you want to employ you. To someone who is trying to determine if you're competent.

CountingCrows fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 3, 2013

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001
I've been holding off asking this because I didn't wanna sound like an rear end in a top hat, but now I just have to know: Do you have Asperger's syndrome?

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

Meow Tse-tung posted:

How about security, Benny? Where I live they're basically always hiring and the only real requirements are "don't be a felon or on drugs". Tell them you're willing to do night shift, and then spend time writing/doing freelance stuff.

Benny Blart, Mall Cop.

Benny, I'm getting the impression that you're an awkward and uncoordinated dude. Is this true? Have you ever played a sport?

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

Benny the Snake posted:

I did earlier but it was right around the time I got the job at *posts name of restaurant again after being told not to, going back and deleting it, yet here we are again for a second time*

Benny, c'mon Benny.

Benny, c'mon!

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

Benny the Snake posted:

Mostly in my writing. It's become a habit both in speaking and writing since it's what I learned in my studies.

I have an English major as well. I'm sure you learned how to tailor your speech and writing to the audience?

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001
There's a difference between looking for any job that will hire a warm body for a minimum wage paycheck (like those Benny is looking for) and finding a career with a reasonable salary. One will take a month and the other could take a significant amount of time even if you're qualified without very good connections. One is heavily affected by ~*~The Economy~*~ and one not so much.

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001
If I understand you correctly, your "nest egg" is money you borrowed sitting in a savings account that you're both not using and paying interest on to the lender? Why are you not just putting that straight down on the principal of your loan to both lower the monthly payment and saving you money that you are currently throwing away to interest payments while your borrowed money sits in a bank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

Namarrgon posted:

I do this with a slightly-more-than-inflation government loan. But I consider it emergency money.

Benny's list of emergencies:

-a new comic book comes out that Mom won't buy because comics are the devil.
-brother has another temper tantrum and throws remote through the TV, mom refuses to buy new tv because TV is the devil.

Basically, I don't think Benny is in a place in his life where he needs to waste money like this for "emergencies", but I'd rather not start this derail if you disagree. If you live on your own with no possible parental support, then it's a different situation.

• Locked thread