Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's weird that you paid so much money to a college for such an inadequate preparation for life. Or maybe you just didn't pay attention in class. Didn't they have job seminars or career building classes? What happened here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Benny, your writing style, it's like what a stupid person thinks a smart person sounds like.

PurePerfection posted:

A friend or relative who has experience interviewing job candidates could be an immense help to you if they're willing to do some mock interviews with you and provide feedback.

This is good advice, Benny, you need to find a grown-up to help you out with this stuff. This should have happened a long time ago, a mentor should have taught you how to interview for, and get, a job. Maybe this was a failure of our nation's education system, or your idiot parents, or maybe someone did try but you were sidetracked thinking about who would win if Spiderman fought Captain America in a cage match. None of that matters now though, find a friend or uncle or aunt who has found moderate success in life to give you advice.

This thread may provide you some useful advice, but it's main purpose now is to serve as a medium to call you a fat moron who wastes his meager earnings on comic books, movies, and forum avatar changes.

Extra Large Marge fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 5, 2013

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can't you go to trade school or get an associate's degree? This writing poo poo isn't going to work out for you, there are about a million other nerds on the internet making 5 cents a month of google adsense writing stupid movie reviews no one gives a poo poo about. There's no money there for you, and half the jobs you've found relevant to your education are flat out scams.

Maybe you can get an x-ray tech job scanning dudes balls for testicular torsion. Healthcare and IT, that's where the money is right now.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

AcidRonin posted:

why ARE your cartoon post's so much better than these? I mean gently caress, i was actually interested in that.

Probably bought the book http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Seuss-Goes-War-Editorial/dp/1565847040

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It really depends where you live.

One sure fire way to get a job is to move to Alaska and work at a cannery. They'll hire anyone!

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any gas stations nearby you can find work at? Many gas stations will usually hire ex-cons and people currently addicted to painkillers so you should be good to go.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
My fav is when Benny told the pizza place owner that he could make a pizza for him right now, no problem.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Benny's doing pretty well. There's a roof over his head and he's pulling Pokemon money from somewhere.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Don't go to grad school, you need a job where your boss doesn't care if you gently caress up, like the post office, UPS, Qwest, your local parks department, or the Jacksonville Jaguars.

When I worked for a parks department I had a coworker who used to work for the city trash pick up. There was a guy he didn't like so he never picked up his trash. This went on for months. In the end they didn't fire him, they TRANSFERRED him to a better job at the parks department. Government work Benny, you were born to be a civil servant.

Extra Large Marge fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 5, 2014

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Benny, I'm sure you have family members or friends with government jobs. For the love of God talk to them. This is your destiny. Go to your City/county/state's webpage and apply for everything, even if it's just seasonal work.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I know he talked to a family member who was a police captain, but he never said anything about it afterwards. Maybe instead of getting a police job, they can use their city connections to get benny a parks job, or roads job. None of this private sector or grad school BS for you Benny, public is where you will excel. Just show up and you'll do well.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Get a job at a different grocery store and learn to drive. When you apply at grocery stores don't mention your degree or job at target.

Right now you have nothing but time on your hands, you can use this time to learn how to drive so you can apply for more jobs.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Please get a job Benny

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
One time I went to the grocery store and the cashier inspected the eggs I bought. There was a broken one! Luckily she had the bag boy run and get me another carton of eggs.

When I got hope and opened the carton I found TWO broken eggs!

You can do it Benny, you can get a job.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Benny didn't have proper bag/box training, luckily everything is on youtube now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-VRgTanoE0

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Usually you would mail it in.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think you'll fit right in at Sears

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Benny is Ignatius J. Reilly

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
You could be the guy who cleans up the loads at the library

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Potential jobs 4 our man Benny

1. Toll booth attendant
2. Parking garage attendant
3. Gas station cashier
4. Night watchman as long as no criminals ever show up
5. Box boy at Costco/Sam's Club
6. Night shift stocker at grocery store
7. Talent scout for Cleveland Browns
8. Talent scout for Houston Astros
9. US Ambassador to Somalia
10. Guy who refills the water glasses at a nice restaurant

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
22. Guy who cleans out the porta johns after music festivals

Magnus Gallant posted:

Benny have you considered trying to get a certification in something. You can buy a book for a CCNA cert and do it yourself in your own house.

Then you pay money and take a test. Once you have a cert you can get a job in the IT industry.

I think it's a long shot to expect a guy who can't manage to follow instructions while cooking zucchini to figure out IP subnetting and STP on his own. Maybe start with A+ or Network+

Extra Large Marge fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 6, 2014

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Benny call Vince McMahon, maybe you could get a job as a WWE jobber.

You could get hit by a folding chair then write a short story about it. That would be your gimmick "the writer man".

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just get a job Benny. Any job.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe he gets off on being scolded. Maybe this whole thing was a long con.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
ARE YOU SURE THIS IS A VOLUNTEER JOB?

ARE YOU SURE YOU DIDN'T JUST SIGN UP FOR A LIBRARY CARD?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
New theory: Benny isn't human. He is an advanced DARPA created AI that is programed to gently caress up all the time.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

Mentally ill people incapable of/unwilling to engage with the social systems in place to help them? Sure.

They probably didn't become minor celebrities on the strength of being fired from a department store and writing a few short stories and lying a bunch, though.

I don't know Gomer Pyle was pretty popular.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe it was one of those diploma mill degrees that you can potentially buy for your dog.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, he got to keep his comics and is now a volunteer at the library so lets chalk this up as a success.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Congrats on the job B-man. Don't overthink it.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh man, an accounting textbook from 1975. I'm going to make some COLD HARD CASH off this one.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Benny could get a job as the guy who loads/unloads bags at the airport. There are extremely low expectations with that job.

One time my bag came back full of holes and covered with italian salad dressing, but at least it wasn't lost.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Another job: frontline IT helpdesk tech

Look to George for inspiration: http://www.chroniclesofgeorge.com/

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you get good at flipping used library books, maybe you could flip houses next.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Get a job at the box factory

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Get a job working for the Chicago Cubs front office

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there no place in this world for a lazy idiot who collects comic books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Go to your local Goodwill. Tell them you would like to be exploited.

• Locked thread