Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
What's the job interview for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

Sandwich place. Tomorrow I'm going to the Employment Resource Office and filling out a packet. Thursday I'm going back to Cal Poly for career and academic counseling.

How did the interview go?

Benny, I think you should read cname's latest post. I've been following this thread from the beginning and there's nothing else to really say. Please read the post he or she made. I don't want to quote it because it's long. It's long, but it's good.

Edit: Actually, I guess it doesn't matter. You've probably read every post in this thread. Someone else pointed out that there is little chance of you making any appreciable progress towards improving your life while you're living at home without any consequences and I have to agree. I hate to be mean, but that seems to be the case.

Please don't stop updating, though. I really love this thread.

Greg Legg fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 8, 2014

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Events might be getting jumbled up in Benny's mind because there are probably huge stretches of time, just days and days, where he doesn't actually do anything. I didn't notice a voice change, but maybe he was trying to be a better writer?

I don't see what's so unbelievable about all this. People like Benny exist all over the place, this thread just gives us an inside view to the nothing that they do all day. It's sad that he doesn't seem to want to keep updating this thread. My favorite part was when he was listing out everything he did over the course of a day.

Also,

natetimm posted:

There's no way that lovely story he wrote was false.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Good luck with the unemployment deal, Benny. It would be nice for you to be employed and going forward when this thread turns a year old.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Benny can you please go back to writing out all of your activities for the day like you used to? Do you think you have improved at all?

It's not only really entertaining, but motivating. When I started teaching I had to become a list guy because I had so much poo poo to do daily that I was getting overwhelmed. Now I have to make a list every drat day and I don't go home until everything is crossed off. Feels good.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

I guess I could :shrug: The biggest improvement is that I'm no longer paranoid, and I have my psych to thank for that.

I don't know poo poo about brain problems, but good job not feeling paranoid.

For the other stuff, reading the thread it seems like applying for 20 jobs in a day is too much. And honestly Benny I can't remember the kind of job you were looking for besides professor and librarian which you aren't ever going to be qualified for at the rate you're going, so make a point to keep applying for retail and restaurant jobs with the goal of landing it and keeping it for a year. Try applying for five or six jobs a day. Someone suggested a 1:5 ratio of office to retail so go with that. Really, this is nothing that hasn't been said dozens of times throughout this thread at this point. Just do it every day. Try to be employed by February 1st or something.

I wasn't really serious about the list thing, detailing your whole day and all, because that will only help you if you're specific with it and honest with yourself. I just want to know what you spend all day doing with all this free time.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Apply for a job at the movie theater.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

Will do, then. I'll apply to my local banks then. In fact, I think my local credit union might have an opening.

Apply there tomorrow.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Good morning, Benny. It is almost 10 o'clock in California, did you apply for the job at the bank or credit union or whatever yet? Have you been making progress this morning?

Edit: Seriously, apply for a job at the movie theater.

Greg Legg fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 17, 2014

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

I just searched online for bank teller jobs. I searched several banks in my area and none of them are hiring for tellers: they're hiring for bank managers and financial advisers. So after finding nothing I applied to four more retail jobs online. I'll look online for open bank teller positions again.

Not bad, Benny the Snake. What are you going to do tomorrow to help you land a job before February 1st?

Edit: Nothing? That's cool.

Greg Legg fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 19, 2014

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Oh Benny.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I guess his mom is letting him keep his comic books? I forgot that this whole thing started because she threatened to throw them out.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Benny, did you apply at the loving movie theater yet? That's the perfect job for you.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Benny, is your mom letting you keep your comic books in the house?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
If your mom is letting you keep all of your stuff then I guess you don't have to move out. You don't need a job if you want to live at home, so everything has worked out. That's cool. You even got the brain problems checked out and that's super.

I don't know what else we can really expect from you at this point. You seem pretty likeable in a bumbling idiot sort of way and I was really rooting for you. I'm happy to hear that things are better at home. It's also great that you put in twenty applications and are following up with it, but it took you a REALLY long time to get around to it. You have an incredibly difficult time doing the most basic of tasks that I can't imagine a different outcome for you beyond "guy who stays at home on the internet all day." Any advice, criticism, or insult just goes flying over your head with you seemingly not noticing. It's hysterical. Granted, I don't know you in person so I've just got this thread to go by.

What the hell do you do all day?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

MBPearls posted:

I suggested many pages ago that only doing the bare minimum as far as applications wasn't going to cut it, and immediately got people arguing.

I've always felt if you weren't working, finding a job needs to be your job, full time. Especially when you have no skills so every retail/fast food/MLM scam will work.

20 applications in two weeks is 2 applications a day on average, which means Benny here is spending 5-10 minutes (at best) looking for work and then who knows what else for the remaining 16 hours he's awake.

People take longer breaks at work than Benny spends looking for work each day. Amazing.

This is true. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that he's not done enough to improve his situation. In a year he's done hardly anything. But the one thing Benny has shown us time and again is that he really, well, kind of sucks in that regard. You're absolutely right, if you don't have a job, you need to be looking for work full time. But this is Benny! He wrote up nuclear options to use against his mother and primary care giver because he didn't want her to take his comics away. He did this while he was in his mid 20's! He's not capable of functioning like an adult. Maybe he's got brain problems? Maybe he's happy at home and doesn't want it to change? Both?

At the very least, for all of his flaws (like being lazy, ignorant, entitled, dense, incompetent, a weirdo, and having crappy grammar) he's only hurting himself. For now.

vvvvv ahahahhahahahah

Greg Legg fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 1, 2014

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

A very entertaining read.

Okay Benny your turn.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

You know I've been writing for about an hour a day now and I'm thinking about entering in the Thunderdome. I'm going to wait for next week.

All right, Benny. Good luck in Thunderdome, we all look forward to reading your submission. By the way, if you're writing for an hour, what are you doing with the rest of your time?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Benny, I'm still rooting for you here, so if you're spending all of your time on irc scheming up new ways to get laid, just keep that to yourself.

Edit: I suck at posting.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I've asked before and you haven't answered, is your mom letting you keep your comic book collection in your house? And what are you doing with all of your time?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

I can't stand doing nothing.

Don't say this kind of poo poo. Not after a whole year, Benny.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
You know, this thread just isn't funny anymore. What the gently caress.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

Most of the content on it is academic such as my education and academic projects so it makes me look overqualified when I apply to retail positions.

How...how are we back to this? After a whole year.

Edit: God drat I feel so sorry for your poor parents who've been putting up with your bullshit for all these years.

Edit 2: Good job taking your brain pills.

Greg Legg fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 6, 2014

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

gently caress da Mods posted:

Sell 'Day with Benny' cultural tours/'day-in-a-life' packages, wherein you charge goons on a sliding scale to spend a day/time with you and live your experience. Remember, photos cost extra.

If I wasn't so far from California I'd consider buying one of these packages.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Benny, if you kill your family, you won't have anyone to provide you with an internet connection, working electricity, running water, food, or shelter. This would really gently caress up your routine of sitting on your fat rear end all day reading comics and writing awful high school level fiction in your pursuit of becoming a bestselling author. You're what, 25? Your mom is your primary caregiver, you should be a little nicer!

Don't stop posting, though. Can you go back to detailing what you do daily? Like, hour by hour? Thanks.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Good job, Benny the Snake.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Croc Monster posted:

Remember, this is Benny. What would happen to him would be some sort of Keystone Kops routine accompanied by Yakkety Sax.

He'd step on a board, like a rake in a cartoon, which would spring up and smack him in the face. He'd recoil backwards into a pallet of ping-pong balls, which would spill on the floor and trip him up. This would send him careening into a stack of paint cans, which would spill all over him. Flailing about, he'd rip open a bag of craft feathers, which would flutter down and stick to the paint in which he was splattered. Terrified, he would run out of the warehouse and onto the sales floor, covered in paint and feathers, bawking for all the world like some mad painted chicken. No...I don't think you've thought this through.

Holy poo poo I love this thread.

Edit: Oh poo poo, new page. Um, yeah how about that post I quoted? It's really funny!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Benny, did you read the critiques of your writing in this thread? Are you going to take them into consideration when writing your next story?

We get that being immune to criticism is kinda your thing, but maybe take some advice about this.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

nerve posted:

Benny, what do you do all day?

If we could get an answer to this I would be so happy.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

natetimm posted:

Do you really think the answer is anything other than "consume X media through X device?"

Not really. You're probably right.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

TheReverend posted:

Challenge:

For the next week chronicle everything you do from the time you are awake to the time you sleep.
Write down everything you are doing on the hour.

Example:

10am Wake up
11am Look for job listings
noon Apply to jobs
1pm Apply to jobs
2pm Lunch

Something like that.

If you do this people may be able to better help you organize your time. YOU SHOULD DO IT!

Benny, we all know that following advice isn't really your thing, but just do this already.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

You know I let my academic advisor read my early writings and he's compared me to Jim Butcher. I know he's the writer of The Dresden Files series but I'm not familiar with those books. Should I be embarrassed, proud, or a little bit of both?

I'm glad that you wrote a nice story here and that you're getting some positive vibes, but holy poo poo this is funny.

In all seriousness, good luck with your next story and your job search this week.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I guess I'll go ahead and bump this. Did you ever get a call back from those jobs you've applied to?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

crabrock posted:

If they have no ties to writing and have nothing constructive to say, then maybe they should consider shutting the gently caress up? People aren't "offering criticism," they're just being insulting and mean at the ONE positive thing to have come out of this entire thread so far.

To be fair, I think people are getting frustrated because they've been reading this thread for more than a year and Benny's done nothing but write three stories on the internet and get fired from three jobs. The impression I'm getting from Benny's latest posts is that his writing has taken priority over the job search. But I don't think Benny really needs a job to maintain his current quality of life.

quote:

You can sit on the sidelines and think his writing sucks all you want, but to throw out insults because he "deserves" it is just pathetic.

Point taken, I shouldn't have insulted Benny when I did.

quote:

I understand that he's basically a low-functioning retard, but that doesn't mean you should throw rocks at him.

Harsh!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
This thread got really weird when Benny started posting in the thunderdome thread because people kept praising him as though he had accomplished something. Benny shouldn't be prioritizing writing over finding a job and we shouldn't be encouraging him to do so.

But what the gently caress do I know? Benny doesn't even need a job anymore. His mom is letting him live at home rent free and provides everything for him. She's even letting him keep his comic books. There's no reason for him to leave.

This whole thread began because Benny was mad that his mom was going to take his comic books away (he's like, 25). That's what started this whole thing. Life is strange.

pants cat posted:

You could do though, just not in that way right now. Check out textbroker.com and similar sites, you can make quite a bit of beer money writing short articles suitable for blogs. Could you bang out 500 words on the attractions of your home town, a restaurant or how to.. something or other? If so you can make money writing.

Yeah, this is great advice that's been offered before. Benny is INCREDIBLY resistant to advice and criticism.

Greg Legg fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 25, 2014

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Benny, I am a better writer than you. I write every single day. Wanna know how much money I made from my fiction last year?

Benny's too busy to write every single day.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I know it's a joke on your part, but Benny needs to stop making that excuse. I work 9-hour days, 5-6 days a week, and I still find time to write. Doing both takes commitment, but it's totally doable.

There are a lot of things Benny needs to do differently, including not making excuses. He's even got the custom title!

It's pretty badass that you're able to keep up your writing and publishing stuff with such a full work load.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
What position are you interviewing for at Sears? Did you ever apply at the movie theater?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

franco posted:

I possibly do. I apologise for my outburst. I'd remove it, but it has been quoted anyway, so I'll leave it as a monument to why one shouldn't post angry.

You're not the first person to get incredibly angry at Benny, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Handing out thank you cards after the interview seems weird, but it seems like it was something his job counselor told him to do. Benny has finally learned to listen and take advice and it only took an entire year.

Benny I hope you get the Sears job and they have you sell power tools or something awesome like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

I wasn't told who was interviewing me, so I came in with a blank card and filled it out afterwards.

At least your interviewer will remember you. This is really funny, but I don't think it's really a bad thing.

101 pages, Benny. This might be the one.

• Locked thread