Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's not a matter of having an agenda. It's a matter of having something to offer so that the meeting is mutually beneficial. That's how networking is supposed to work; it's not just you asking me for a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's a difference between being senior in the tech industry in the sense of being an experienced developer/sysadmin/etc., and being senior in the sense of having power over hiring, purchasing and other business decisions. Tai-Pan's complaints sound pretty reasonable for someone in the latter category.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Read this and go change your settings.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

What industry is your company in?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Sometimes I get really bored at work.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's no really good way aside from searching for something more specific. You can look for "PhD" to find companies that are hiring for positions that require (or just want) graduate degrees, and see if the companies listing those have other openings.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Since you have an official probationary period, I'd hold off on adding it until you finish that. That way you don't have to risk explaining a very short tenure there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

Or is it more like, just contact everybody and see who responds?

This seems to be the norm. But even if you're not a good match for that particular position, they might have something else for you. There's really no harm in talking to them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Look at Wall Street. There are firms there who hire generally smart people and teach them the necessary technical skills. It's not quite as robust a job market as it was a few years back, but it does still exist.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There are a lot of really awful recruiters in the software world. The good ones are really good, though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Oh yeah, LinkedIn publishing is the worst. I don't think I've ever read anything on there that didn't make me feel dumber.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I don't think there's another general service, but there are some industry-specific sites out there. What's your field?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

As far as I can tell, setting your profile to private just means that it doesn't show up in search results from Google or other external search engines. It's still visible through LinkedIn's various tools.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I have all of my Coursera certificates listed on my LinkedIn profile, but I have no idea how much difference it makes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Is there a good way to indicate on LinkedIn that you're interested in relocating to a particular area? I don't want to change my location, as that would be inaccurate and a little too public, but I'd like to have something better than messaging individual recruiters.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Accepting a LinkedIn request is really low-commitment, so a lot of people are effectively running an open network. If you find someone who has very few connections or joined recently, then you might want to worry about sending a request, but otherwise it's generally not an issue.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Join some relevant groups, post some stuff that's not just blatant self-promotion, and you'll make contacts.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

How many connections do you have? I think that you need to hit some threshold to be 100% on your profile.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Pertplus posted:

I have like 13 traffic tickets that show up on my background check (dumb, I know). Is this something employers care about?

One of my managers at my first job had about twice that many. You can play it off as youthful indiscretion and you'll be fine.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Yes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

LinkedIn is a tool for networking, but I think most people don't understand how that really works. Adam Grant has a great explainer on it. The summary:

quote:

It’s true that networking can help you accomplish great things. But this obscures the opposite truth: Accomplishing great things helps you develop a network.
Go out and do stuff, meet people, and then connect with them on LinkedIn. That's how you network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I think those are the big three general job boards, but there are a lot of industry/profession-specific sites out there that might be worth your time.

• Locked thread