Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

HiroProtagonist posted:

Don't limit yourself only to your personal contacts. Just start sending connection requests to anyone that pops up in the "you may know" box.

Once you start building up your contact list, this sort of snowballs since the "you may know" seems to be at least somewhat based on your current contacts. Every once in a while I'll pull up the "you may know" page and just scan through for anyone I even recognize and send them a request. This includes high school friends, former coworkers, current coworkers, family, friends of family members, coworkers of family members, pretty much anyone. I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but make a connection with pretty much anyone. It's not expected to have any more communication with them after you are a contact (like being Facebook friends implies), so the more contacts the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
It seems like they've changed how the "People you may know" page works, so it doesn't provide endless scrolling. It used to be that when you got to the bottom of the page, it would load more, but now it's just a single page with no option to view more. Maybe I'm missing something?

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

RTB posted:

For me it still loads more people as I scroll.
That was in Firefox. Maybe try a different browser?

Thanks, I was using Chromium on Ubuntu when I was having the problem, just tried in Firefox and now it's working.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

salted hash browns posted:

Really quickly, what is the reasoning for this again? It seems unlikely that I would ask a stranger for an in at his company, or ask a random person for an introduction to someone else.

I don't necessarily add a whole ton of complete strangers, but anybody you've ever worked with in any capacity (customer, coworker, etc), anybody that you've met even briefly, anyone you went to school with, or were in clubs with, know from online communities, or even distant family members should be automatic contacts. Beyond that, you should also add recruiters in your field even if you've never met them, and then it's up to you if you want to do complete strangers. As was already mentioned, the point of this is to make your connection pool bigger so you show up in search results, not to make a list of friends (hence the "this isn't Facebook").

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Boris Galerkin posted:

Trust me, I've already added every friend, classmate, colleague I know. I've requested to join some groups. Are you telling me to just add random people that are vaguely connected to me (alumni I never met, group member I never met…)?

I don't typically do the "random people" thing. I've gotten in the habit of every week or so going to the People You May Know page and just scrolling through. If you see a name and think "Hey I recognize that name", then send a request. Sending a request from this page also doesn't make you choose how you know them, so you can go through a bunch in a short amount of time. As was mentioned in the OP, this isn't about people you're friends with.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Harry posted:

Two weeks ago I got contacted by a recruiter about a job opening through LinkedIn. Ended up getting the job and I'm starting on the second. So I guess what I'm saying is, make a profile just for the hell of it.

This is how I got my current job that I started a month ago. I had a profile, every once in a while went through the "people you may know" and added everyone I recognized, but honestly I wasn't 100% sold on LinkedIn in general. However, a few recruiters contacted me about job openings (even though I wasn't even looking for a new job) and a couple of them looked pretty good, one was good enough to get me to switch.

It may not work for everyone in every field, but it certainly helped me get where I am, now I pretty much tell everyone in a technical field to have a profile and make connections, since you never know what might happen.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

HiroProtagonist posted:

Yes and just use your current position (or the one you are looking to get out of). If you don't want to do that for whatever reason, pick anything really. Or you could even make up a titular job like "Job-Seeking," "Opportunity Pursuit," etc. and bury it on your profile somewhere by pre-dating it to some irrelevant period of time. Then you can just choose that as an option. If this route sounds too gamey though, just use your current position and remind yourself that the actual recommendation is the important part and the one that people are most likely to see/read.

Use them in a list of keywords (does LinkedIn still profile this profile function? I don't even know, but at one point it did). Or pick the best one for your professional tagline (the bit that shows up under your name) and relegate the "official" one to the actual job entry in your professional history. Unless you're compelled to be honest almost to a fault though, nobody would care if you changed your official job title to one more relevant to your actual duties or just one you preferred more.

Remember, a Linkedin profile is not the same thing as a resume. You need only be concerned with overly-inflating your job title in order to appear more senior than you can justify. Many people's titles don't reflect their actual duties, scope of responsibility or seniority--this is your place to sell yourself, so you should not be a stickler for its literal accuracy. Therefore, any job title for a position you hold or have held in the past should be more accurately viewed as a tool to be used in pursuing whatever your current professional goals are, and its accuracy primarily matters only in its applicability and relevance to your achievement of those goals.

Hope that helps.

I disagree, although I'm willing to admit that maybe I'm incorrect, but I'd consider your job title to be something you don't just make up. If you don't like your title, you should talk to someone who can actually change it, but I don't think you should just put down something that sounds good.

Again, maybe I'm wrong or naive or something, so correct me if I'm wrong, but your description of a job is where you can go into more detail of what you actually did, and the job title is whatever you agreed to when you took the job.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Pryor on Fire posted:

Goddamn everytime I log into Linkedin it just gets shittier and shittier. Today my wall is filled with people liking photos of bald cancer kids holding signs and paid clickbaity shallow news stories about "corporate culture". I loving hate bald cancer kids more than anything on earth. Christ, what happened to this site?

Deleting my account since it hasn't been useful or informative in a year or two. None of the higher level people I know seem to have bothered updating their title or company in a long time. Is there another service that looks more like linkedin circa 2009 or so that people have moved on to yet?

Not sure why you'd delete your account, rather than just not look at the news feed thing? I almost never log in just to look at that crap, I use it to look other people up, occasionally I browse the "people you may know", and otherwise it's just a page that others can use to look me up. Having an account that you never look at except to update when you get a new position seems like the best thing to do, as it's a way for potential recruiters/companies to find you.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

Ossipago posted:

I had let my Linkedin profile go for a while and came back to discover they no longer consider sharing group membership a 2nd degree connection, so you're now hit with the "how do you know (name)" questions that can prevent you from connecting if you don't have another legitimate reason to know someone...

...except with the mobile app, which still lets you connect with reckless abandon with a single click to anyone you're in a group with (unless that individual has a setting to prevent it). The caveat here is no personalization to the invite, but it seems a lesser evil in order to quickly bolster your connections. There's a handy combined feed of recent posts to all the groups you're in, so you can just scroll and connect to all the active posters super fast. I invited 30 contacts all with gigantic networks, mostly recruiters, in under 10 minutes this way. Yay for mobile, I guess.

Does that "legitimate reason" ever even show up to the person you're trying to connect with? I've never seen that when I get emails saying someone wants to connect with me, and 99% of those emails are the stock "I'd like you add you to my personal network" and I usually connect anyway. A lot of people get hung up on that "how do you know this person" but I don't think that has any effect on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

tubz posted:

I'm trying to network on this linked in and have started applying for jobs. When applying should I post a plain-text resume in addition to my formatted pdf one?

In general, I like delivering my resume in PDF form (as opposed to DOC or TXT) because it mostly takes care of the possibility of someone (or some application) accidentally mangling the formatting, having their window be too small, or having their cat jump on the keyboard and start typing gibberish or something. It's basically a lot easier to control how your resume looks.

• Locked thread