Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Big Thicket might be the worst fake state name I've ever heard. Why do these hypothetical states always have to have such weird names? King I can get behind, but Shasta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How did that pass section 5?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Goatman Sacks posted:

Supreme court said it was politically-biased gerrymandering, not racially-biased gerrymandering. And they said politically-biased gerrymandering is just find. One of the best examples is the dilution of the Austin vote with a 300 mile tract of bumfuckville land back in 2003:

Believe me I know, I live in the pink district. After redistricting I'm in a new one but it's still a Republican. Austin has been split into six different districts now, only one of them Democratic.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hitch posted:

I think it might be, as it's a part of the Caribbean islands. Which according to this map from Wikipedia is a part of Latin America.

"Latin America" refers to the countries that speak Portuguese, Spanish, or (maybe) French. So parts of the Caribbean are Latin America, some parts aren't. Jamaica speaks English and was colonized by the British, so it usually isn't included.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Goddamn, y'all.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lycus posted:

Nearly all of Christian Europe being "enlightened" except for the Italian Peninsula, which is just "civilized", is curious.

I was shocked that they had Spain and Portugal as enlightened.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PrinceRandom posted:

A fun look at population density in the Arab League, and a comparison to the continental US in land area.

What's the weird break in the Nile just south of the Egypt/Sudan border? Lake Nasser?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Why Venezuela?

It was probably made by Venezuelan ex-pats. There are a ton at my university, and they all loathe Chávez and Maduro. The new Cuban exiles, just less of them as far as I can tell.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Idiot Kicker posted:

In reference to maternity leave, the USA needs to get its poo poo together. How is that not in the FMLA?

FMLA guarantees unpaid leave.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Baloogan posted:

What about a hispanic political party?

They actually have tried this before in the 1970s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Raza_Unida_Party). They won some local races, but couldn't get any statewide or national traction. Obviously with a growing Hispanic population this could change - they probably won't win, but they could be kingmakers if someone (anyone, I'm begging you) starts throwing money at the Valley and the cities to register and mobilize them.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

Social Mobility in the United States - Study conducted by Harvard University and California Berkeley

http://www.equality-of-opportunity.org/

EDIT: Son of a bitch.

So are the blue areas just the result of the fracking boom?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ptk posted:

The ones in Arizona and New Mexico are the Navajo and Hopi territories.

What are the red spots?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Squalid posted:

Another alternative is that the map isn't even trying to depict geography and is making some kind of symbolic point, like medieval christian maps that depict Jerusalem as the center of the world.

Yeah gonna have a hard time trying to navigate anywhere with this.

Personally I have no clue what that 1532 map is depicting, looks like China is an island? I dunno what the gently caress. But it has gone into a lot of detail with the rivers which suggests it is not designed arbitrarily.

Is this a map or is it a work of art? Because the way I would define "map" is something you can use to navigate, which that doesn't really help you do, or something that depicts at the very least what someone thinks a geographic feature looks like, and I don't think anyone actually thought the world looked like that. It's a political cartoon or something.

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 3, 2013

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Inu posted:

Is that map actually accurate? Does Cuba, of all places, have a McDonald's?

You're probably closer to a McDonald's no matter where you are in Cuba than in some places in Russia.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Craptacular posted:

Mining? Sort of like how the Bakken and Eagle Ford in the US are lit up for oil drilling.

Why do the lights down the center line up in a grid pattern? It doesn't seem to happen further west or in more populated areas, so I'm not really sure what's going on.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Pakled posted:

There's one for the US already, from National Geographic.

EDIT: maybe I should learn the read the legend.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Reveilled posted:

Are ancestry and ethnicity separate questions on the US census? I'm ancestrally Irish (3 of my 4 pairs of great-grandparents were first or second generation Irish immigrants) but since my grandparents on down were born and raised in Scotland I would put Scottish if asked my ethnicity. I figure I'd put Irish if asked my ancestry since I happen to know that but two generations from now I doubt my grandchildren will identify as Irish in any way, and that will be less than two centuries since my Great-grandparents came over. I bring this up because Appalachian doesn't seem particularly absurd to me. Wouldn't that be folks in rural areas some of whom have ancestors who arrived 400 years ago? Is there some other reason it's dumb I don't get?

There aren't questions about your family heritage that I can remember, it's mainly a self-identification question. On most forms there's a bit that asks you to self-identify racially with a separate question asking if you're hispanic or not. The racialization of "Hispanic" could be a whole different thread though.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Wax Dynasty posted:

What would be more interesting to me is seeing if California was more diverse than Canada, given that they have roughly equal populations.

There is no way this is not the case.

QVC Drinking Game posted:

Unless I missed the memo those terms aren't inherently derogatory like n----r is, they're just dated. Yes, it would probably be uncool if you went around talking about "those drat Negroes" but given that the terms still exist in the names of old institutions -- the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the United Negro College Fund -- and no one's raring to change those, it's pretty clear that they're not derogatory in and of themselves.

Also if they're self-identifying it's probably not a good idea to go around telling them they're wrong for doing it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

3peat posted:

POLLUTION!!

urbanization.jpg

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mu Cow posted:

Interactive map of South Africa showing race and language: http://dotmap.adrianfrith.com/

Why is there such a stark border between isiXhosa and isiZulu?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

"Shiitestan" :ughh:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What happened in 1970 that made Jennifer so popular? It seems like it has to have been a change in how they counted or something for it to change so drastically all at once.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

Source is from here, data is from http://factfinder2.census.gov/

And there are other explanations for higher percentages of men than women being married (women outliving their spouses, for example).

If a woman outlives her spouse, is she still married?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Dusseldorf posted:

Nothing kills old men better than booze.

The middle one is I'm guessing the collapse of the USSR, what's the latest one? The 1998 crash?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

The top one is WWI, the middle one is WWII, the last is the downfall of the USSR. I think the lag is because it's mostly a decline in birth rates and malnutrition of the young folks at the time that still shows up now, rather than the outright lethality of any of the events.

Would WWII really have such a muted effect compared to WWI or the collapse?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why does Kievan Rus' have an apostrophe on it? Is it pronounced differently than Rus?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

The only problem with Greater Mexico is that 1. Most Mexican-Americans (and Mexican immigrants) would be as opposed to it as their fellow residents and 2. Almost all of them (save a handful in New Mexico and a few others scattered about) showed up well after U.S. Annexation.

No empire is as glorious, or as well named, as the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere:

Who knew that the revival of the Confederacy and Greater Brazil were Axis war goals? Especially since Brazil was an Allied power.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

"Piedmont"?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Not seeing the Kurds on here. That could be a problem!!!

I think most of them are in "Zagros."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Veracruz comes from the capital city (also Veracruz), which was named by Cortés because of a holy day or something. Puebla is short for the capital city (Puebla de los Ángeles) which came from vision a bishop had of angels descending from the heavens at the spot where the city was founded.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

There are a bunch of Cairos and also a Shanghai in West Virginia.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Tommah posted:

I'm from WV and where I'm from there's a Bethlehem nearby. I also know of a Palestine.

Yeah there's a Palestine in Texas too (pronounced Paluhsteen).

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Connecticut has a "holy land" in the eastern end of the state, with Lebanon, Bozrah and Hebron. Bethlehem is clear on the other end of the state:

Probably every other town in the state is a knock-off of somewhere in England.

Also Canaan, North Canaan, and New Canaan. Jesus.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Donkwich posted:

Also Japan isn't exactly the most progressive place for race relations. There are still some bad comedy acts in Japan that use blackface and stereotypes as the joke.

Ah but they don't have a history of slavery so it's not really racist :geert:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Farecoal posted:

Stolen from the UK megathread.

So who exactly do those three Canadian cardinals minister to if Canada has no Catholics? Or is that top 10 also?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Kainser posted:

I didn't think that India of all places would be overrepresented in the College of Cardinals.

They might have a couple who used to be from the Portuguese Empire but are now part of India.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Dusseldorf posted:

So you're saying they would get proportionally little representation because there aren't very many people to represent from them? I'm not sure why this is being cast as a bad thing.

Because we've been taught since we were kids that the Founding Fathers were living gods and obviously if they saw small states being represented in accordance with their populations as a bad thing, then it is.

Also those new state maps are just a chance for the people making them to make up dumb names.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

That is a good point. I know for a fact that Boise was a refugee ten for a long time and so it has cosmopolitanism which is far beyond the regional standard (of course it's also the largest city in 300 miles and is a quarter of the state's population, but still).

What's a refugee ten?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Crossing fingers for a European plane for an American president. :v:

There would be such a shitstorm if this happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Not to mention this:

I really wonder if Ukraine isn't going to wind up splitting up sometime soon, with a big chunk of the East acceding to Russia. The atrocious way the EU is handling the recession there isn't going to do them any favours.

Why are there more Russians in Crimea than in the provinces(?) actually bordering Russia?