Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

TheImmigrant posted:

The CFA franc was pegged to the value of the French franc.
And it's currently pegged to the value of the Euro... by the French treasury. I had no idea. That's fascinating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFA_franc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

These maps were posted in the Pictures thread:
That bigfoot/booze map seems odd... it lists Massachusetts as a state where beer and liquor are sold anywhere, but I work in a grocery store in Massachusetts and have to routinely explain to folks from out of state that Massachusetts doesn't sell alcohol in grocery stores.

Also, who the hell thought they saw bigfoot in Rhode Island, and why is Maryland of all places a bigfoot hotspot?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Reveilled posted:

I was always quite fond of For Want of a Nail:

The British general Burgoyne defeats Gates at the Battle of Saratoga and the British subsequently win the American Revolutionary War. Britain takes a concilliatory attitude and the Confederation of North America is established as a dominion of sorts so the colonies can manage their own affairs as part of the Empire (leading eventually to de facto independence), while the die-hard republicans go into self-imposed exile in Texas and are so successful in their second independence war that they sort of accidentally conquer the country they were declaring independence from, integrating themselves into Mexico's caste system at the top alongside the Criollos.

The whole "novel" is written like a history textbook, packed with footnotes for books that were never written, statistical tables of census data, and a foreward by a professor from the United States of Mexico which heavily criticises the text for its "obvious pro-Confederate bias".
For Want of a Nail is fantastic. Probably one of my favorite books ever. The whole history book style lets it really develop beyond "oh hey, it's different, isn't that fun!" into a really nice examination of what those differences mean.

Effectronica posted:

This was, I think, a deliberate attempt to be crazy, but basically time-traveling Carthaginians
That's... quite a premise you have there.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

wukkar posted:

I'm reading 1491 right now. Things would have been pretty drat different if De Soto did not just so happen to bring 200 pigs with him to the New World.
I'm reading it too, but I don't think things would have been all that different. I mean, there might have been real population density for a few years or so (and more complete language maps as a result), but it sounds like massive 90%+ plague casualties were going to happen eventually.

Particularly striking was when the author asked if there was any way to avoid the horrific epidemics, even if the natives/Europeans understood everything about the diseases that we do, and he concluded that maybe if the Europeans stayed offshore and traded over ropes... forever... the natives might have been okay.

In other words it was inevitable.

1491 is a really depressing book. (A really, really good depressing book.)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

It does -- for pre-industrial agricultural civilizations! The Medieval Warm period saw a huge population increase in Europe as more areas that were, in cooler times, less amenable to agriculture, became wetter and warmer and increased the available arable land.
It was great for cool wet Northern Europe. A bit of warming to extend the growing season is just what they needed. It wasn't such a good thing for Mediterranian climates or the already very dry Middle East.

It's not even as simple as warm = good for agricultural civilizations, there's a bunch of factors that make it good or bad in each individual case.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I was laughing pretty hard at the "Uinited Arab Emirates" just being in the middle of absolutely nowhere northern Siberia (with most of Europe), like the mapmaker just gave up their last weak pretense of giving even a modicum of a drat and stuck it in a blank spot, until I realized it just had an extremely faint line for some reason. A line pointing quite precisely to Afghanistan, but that's more par for the course on that map.

Also, I just realized that there are two Bangladeshes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

the jizz taxi posted:

Since when is trying to pronounce unfamiliar foreign words the right way 'pretentious'?
It's not. I think it's specifically trying to pronounce familiar foreign words the "right" way that could be seen as kind of pretentious. Words that have a pretty well established English pronunciation that differs from their native version.

It shouldn't really matter though. Just do your best to be understandable and respectful, however you can pull it off, and it doesn't really matter. If you're really just making an effort to be respectful to other languages, that's fine. I'd be surprised if that's what most people would be doing though. I'd guess a lot of people making a point of "correct" pronunciation are doing it to be smug and feel more correct, rather than to communicate better or more respectfully.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

No way. Korean and Japanese are almost the same language, they're the same family. Grammar's virtually identical and both get most of their vocabulary from Chinese. They both are claimed to be isolates because of nationalism.
Really? Is it that obvious?

My wikipedia tier understanding of the subject makes me imagine it's plausible (it also seems possible that they're both just distantly Altaic languages), but if it was so obviously just a political game, you'd think the relationship would be more widely accepted, at least among western scholars.

Like, I was kind of surprised to learn Serbian and Croatian are literally the exact same language earlier in this topic, but looking into it, it's not like serious scholars pretend otherwise.

I know nothing about the specifics of linguistic classification, but I find the relationships fascinating, so any insight into how these languages are related would be cool.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Not limited to Africa, so the resolution isn't as good as it could be, but it does have the advantage of covering 5000 years. Obviously this is based on population growth models and whatever records remain, and not a set of complete census data, but it looks sensible enough at first glance.
drat that's a cool map set. It shouldn't be hidden behind a link:

On the current subject of diseases- check out Mexico between 1500 and 1600 for something depressing.

How hard would it be to make a gif of this? It'd be really neat to see this in sequence.

Generation Internet posted:

Australia: "gently caress off, we're full"
In fairness, Australia is really ecologically fragile and almost entirely unsuited for human habitation. It's probably already pretty overpopulated for what its environment can support.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

Also have a bonus map of Catholic provinces/archdioceses:

What is up with Korea?

There's one that covers most of North and South Korea, but then there's another tiny one in North Korea. It's not even Pyongyang or anything.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Time for another guess the map:

Based on Yugoslavia I got the feeling it had something to do with wars or instability or something. Or like membership in certain organizations or something. But nothing I can think of like that makes sense of North Korea and Japan.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Belgium is already the most horrific absurdity, so this map didn't need to change it at all. Perfect. :allears:

Guavanaut posted:

Shouldn't they be joining the commonwealth with Poland and Hungary?
Pretty sure that's part of the joke. Everything on the map is deliberately done to bother someone.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I like how you can clearly see the route of the transcontinental railroad here.
Actually, it's fascinating because there's not any railroad. Keep in mind the week/day divide in measurements.

Check out how far apart the day lines are in the east and how they run into a wall around Missouri. It took one day to get to Ohio, another to get to Chicago, but to cross Missouri took three more days. Even the fastest route, through Nebraska and Wyoming, was a further 14 days.

I do wonder what accounts for the ease of travel along that corridor, and the difficulty to the immediate north and south.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Well... okay. That's pretty obvious looking at it that way.

I had a mental image of the Rockies all kind of starting at once in a north-south ridge, but I guess that's just in Colorado.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

The thing about China and maybe India being equal civilizations or whatever with the West is that they were historically large and wealthy, but they didn't directly interact either with each other or with the European/Middle Eastern ecumene a whole lot, just because of geography. Manufactured goods from one area ended up in the other sometimes, and there are Persian-influenced Muslims in both India and China, but that's essentially it as far as interaction went. Nobody in Europe or the ME ever heard of Confucianism or Hinduism until the early modern era and colonialism essentially.
This straight up isn't true in any way.

In the few hundred years before 1800, the Spanish colonies in the New World produced almost all the worlds silver, and fully half of it ended up in China. Global trade was massive, both for China and Europe.

It's true that there wasn't much exchange of people or ideas though. This is largely thanks to China being extremely uninterested in that type of thing, and at the same time being uninterested in influencing inconsequential barbarians. Christianity made inroads into Japan as early as the 16th century, but a strong central government put a stop to that as quick as it could. I don't know as much about Christianity in China, but I remember reading that the Jesuits had found a place in the Chinese court for their astronomical knowledge, and that's about as far as pre-19th Century Christians really got (the Jesuits were pissed that protestant missionaries were ruining their long-game by bumbling around with "the people" and getting killed by mobs of peasants, prompting British intervention, around the time of the Opium Wars). Europeans never had enough power to spread their ideas to the strong centralized states in East Asia until the 19th century, and even then China didn't get serious about Western ideas until they were beaten by the Japanese who adopted them first.

Basically, China called the shots before the 19th Century, so not much happened between Europe's sphere and China's sphere. China was too singularly awesome to care about the rest of the world.

And if you're talking pre-Oceanic trade route contact... I'm just going to say "the Mongols" and call it a day.

Basically, China has always been way more rich than anything around it, and so had little interest in things much past its own borders. And you're hilariously wrong about India- totally influenced by and influencing the middle east, and China too. There are so many Greek and Roman coins in India. Not a lot of Greek or Roman writing on the subject, but a ton of physical evidence of quite extensive contact.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Not to mention that by 1820 Europe and its Colonies were hilariously more economically active than China and the rest of East Asia.
This is also very wrong. By 1820 the trajectories were pretty well set and you could see which way things were shifting, but most of the worlds wealth was still Chinese. It traveled around the world on European ships, but the massive wealth of the Chinese anchored those trade routes. It wasn't until the Industrial Revolution got into full swing that Europe and Europe-derived countries surpassed China.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 15, 2015

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

The entire point of my post was that things like philosophy and religion for the most part never really moved from east to west. If China and India had never existed and there was a big China-shaped ocean in its place there would have been very little different in the development of the western half of Eurasia beyond higher-order macroeconomic effects that few people noticed at the time to begin with. It just didn't interact with Europe or even the Middle East a whole lot. The narrative you see about China regaining its rightful place in the world order or being a counterbalance to western civilization or whatever doesn't make any sense because it never was that, it never even really interacted with western civilization in the first place.
You're going to have to give a timeframe for something so sweeping like that.

And also you're wrong.

Let's say we're talking pre 1500s so you don't have global oceanic trade yet: Materially, inventions diffused. Economically, the entire world was still oriented towards China. Roman aristocrats had a taste for silk, which wasn't grown next door. People traveled on those trade routes and, yes, passed more than goods along those routes. Ever heard of Nestorian Christians? Some of the nomads raiding Chinese cities worshiped a man the Romans nailed to a cross on the other end of the continent. Militarily and politically... the Mongols developed in the Chinese sphere. Their tactics (siege tactics in particular) were based on fighting in China and their imperial structure was created with the knowledge of how China ran. These people went on to rule the Middle East and Russia for a non-trivial amount of time.

Even earlier I suppose you've never heard of the Greco-Bactrians, or the Indo-Greek Kingdoms. There were Hellenistic influences in India around the time Buddhism arose in India, which in turn influenced all of east Asia.

Central Asia is not a wasteland. It has been full of cities and kingdoms rich on trade for thousands of years. Do you think the Chinese didn't know who these people were, or these people didn't know who the Chinese were? Or do you think it was the Middle East that was oddly ignorant of their neighbors?

Do you know why Indonesia is the largest Muslim country in the world? Hint: they didn't independently develop Islam.

I don't even know what your basic point is, but you're so fantastically misinformed about that I have to object regardless of what you're trying to say.

For the map thread have a linked gigantic map of Islamic populations. Note the absolute cultural wall between east and west.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

sweek0 posted:

Pretty drat obscure, but have a guess.

Pretty sure that's only marginally different than population density per state.

Actually, looking it up it's pretty darn similar. How useless.

Isn't that one of the most basic rules of map making? The more your map resembles a population density map, the more pointless it is.

Per capita is almost always more meaningful for indicating... anything. By comparing the maps I can see New Hampshire likes their lawns, and the west in general can't support as much as the east (no surprise)... but I couldn't tell that from the original map alone.

Edit: Though I suppose if you just straight up did it per capita you'd end up with a map that mostly indicates how concentrated a state's population is, considering most of the discrepancies I can see are probably to do with urban centers increasing population density without increasing lawns. I mean, besides the obvious "the west is dry" thing going on. Oh well. I guess shading in whole states is a pretty bad system to use in general.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 8, 2015

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The real issue with this chart isn't that it overlooks China being on both lists (I'm sure that's why they say "rarely"/"tend not to" and so on), that's not a big deal. The real issue is that, uncontent with East Turkistan, China has annexed Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan without anyone noticing! Taiwan, of course, has always been part of China according to the UN so that's no big deal.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

"gently caress off, we're full" says nation that is comprised, mostly, of vast tracts of emptiness.
My understanding is that Australia is extremely environmentally fragile and already basically at carrying capacity in terms of things like water use and agriculture. That continent is not very hospitable to human life at all. There's a reason the aboriginals had such a low population density.

That's not to say the people shoving refugees onto concentration camps on random islands aren't super racist, but it's not like they're just selfishly hoarding some sort of massive utopia. Australia is garbage, and the people living there are probably numerous enough to ruin their own environment already.

At least that's my understanding. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure "It's huge, therefore can accept a bunch more people" is a silly way of looking at it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

open24hours posted:

The idea that Australia is at or even close to carrying capacity is risible. It does do a good job of uniting racists and environmentalists though.

Even if it were the case that the populated areas were getting close (they're not), the top half of the country is almost entirely undeveloped and gets more than enough rain.
Fair enough. I'm no expert on the subject. That assertion was just something I remembered reading ages ago. Probably in Jared Diamond's book Collapse. So I can't really defend it myself.

Is that a point trotted out often in these kinds of discussions? I'd hate to have put out a racist talking point by accident. I'd be curious about reading more about the subject. I can totally believe that the Australians are living way too decadent lifestyles as it is, but I'm pretty skeptical that you could get a group "living the good life" to voluntarily give that up without some sort of crisis pushing them. I imagine if I was an Australian I'd be more pissed at that though and less cynically resigned.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Bad thigns happening vs good things happening, measured in milliHitlers or negative milliHitlers
I just wanted to say I like the idea of measuring good things in negative milliHitlers.

"I'm having a good time! This is the opposite of Hitler right now."

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

fishmech posted:

It seems like the percentage-area figure should be proportion of electric supply in that area coming from dams, yet Norway doesn't seem to be high in it at all
It looks like watersheds. What percentage is dammed or something. Look at the Nile watershed.

I kind of wish there was a version without the blue circles making it literally impossible to see that aspect in densely populated areas.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

sparatuvs posted:

Russia is pretty collectivist, collectivism is more fem.

It's also important to realize this isn't just based on gender roles. More on if a society has "masculine" or "feminine" values. Masculinity is defined as “a preference in society for achievement, heroism, assertiveness and material rewards for success.” versus Femininity which is “a preference for cooperation, modesty, caring for the weak and quality of life.”
Japan: the most assertive, immodest, and individualistic country in the world?

I mean, I know national stereotypes are bullshit, but so is the basis of that map, it seems, so it's curious that they don't match up.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Elyv posted:

The weird thing to me about that map is that the labeled lines are ok, but then you have colored areas which don't match reality at all
The orange-ish areas are supposed to be Slavic/Orthodox. The yellow areas are supposed to be uncategorized.

It's still an overly simplistic map with a bunch of weird errors, but it's not horrifically wrong when you realize that.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The map is kinda fun but very silly, but this:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

In this different timeline, it's not hard to imagine that cats might have evolved into becoming scantily-clad bipedal tool users. There are two main branches here, the tiger people of India and the Persian cat people of the Ummah. <-- Hope this is what you were looking for.
Is hilarious.

I've spent a lot of time on that guy's really, really cool site, and it's always incredibly jarring when you get to the end of a planet he's talking about and he starts describing the lifeforms that might populate it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Full size:

I'm the Mexican (near-)enclave in New Mexico.
Making a state based on the Connecticut River watershed, and I've got to name it after an existing state. Think I'm gonna call it "Vermont."

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Squalid posted:

Obviously this is a difficult subject and even defining what ethnicity means can be extremely contentious.
Yeah, so you think maybe saying "Actually, these groups aren't ethnically distinct, no matter what they think," is a tad presumptuous?

You may be describing a real difference of some sort that is worth talking about perhaps, but you're putting it in terms that are either really inflammatory or obtusely specialized. Either way you're communicating poorly and should probably reconsider the way you assert what groups are not "ethnically distinct". I don't think anyone would have batted an eye if you talked about Asian Americans being seen as less "other" than some other groups, and explaining how that might even be a fundamentally different experience for them would probably have started a thoughtful conversation, but to translate that into "not ethnically distinct" is not a helpful way to phrase things.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Why would you vote for president in California?
Same reason people in Massachusetts actually turned out to vote for president, I'd guess. Well, all of Massachusetts except for three counties with large poor post-industrial urban areas. No reason to think about that too deeply though, I'm sure.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Whats going on in North Africa?
I think it's China

Edit: I don't know why but the two Greeces keeps making me laugh. Why is loving up a map by swapping random stuff, but then just duplicating one random bit so funny?

Eiba fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 23, 2018

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

There are some national borders that are suspiciously obvious on this map. Did Sweden/Finland really cut down every last tree, and gain it back recently, but Norway did not? Same with the US/Canada, where it seems the Americans are nothing but "gains" while the Canadians are all "current".

I might be misreading the map, but it seems like it might be just coloring countries with expanding forests darker green, though that's not what the key seems to imply. Obviously the red/brown bits aren't sorted by nation.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Minenfeld! posted:

The northeastern US state I live in was like 80% deforested in 1900 and is now over 90% forest.
Yeah, same, so it made sense at first... but is the same true of Alaska? But not heavily logged and currently forested British Columbia?

But yeah, New England is pretty incredible in that it's completely forested today but pretty much all of it is little over a century or so old (except for parts of Maine). People really invested in farming here, not to mention all the industrial uses of lumber back in the day, but then it turned out that there was absolutely no reason to farm here when Ohio existed, and industrialization just made farming/logging here a quaint anachronism. They apparently do studies here on how forests develop because people have been documenting everything about how they come back.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

The Caribbean Sea is internationally recognised and the International Hydrographic Organization has defined its boundaries since 1927.

Yes, the South Pacific Ocean really does detour into the Northern Hemisphere so as to surround the Galapagos. It does the same for the Gilbert Islands, though that is not reflected on this map.
The Bay of Fundy goes all the way down to Cape Cod? That's... not how locals think of that body of water. And is the Chesapeake Bay too small to rate? I guess Baltimore is just on the North Atlantic and Boston isn't.

Also "Southeast Alaskan / British Columbian Waters" is the best name they could come up with?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The ancient coastline visible on these is really interesting, and not just for the reasons it's usually interesting.

It might just be the colors they're using, but it seems like the Black Belt is barely visible on the first map- blacks in the south are very slightly more likely to believe global warming is real. And that's kind of interesting itself, because it's not like they're likely to be any more educated than their white neighbors, just less likely to be Republican, and apparently that's enough. That's not exactly new or surprising information, but still interesting to see.

But the sad bit is they seem way more ready to believe that global warming will harm them specifically than almost any other region in the country.

Apparently it's easy for them to imagine that they, personally, will be hosed over by forces almost entirely out of their control. That just seems more plausible to them.

Sucks that they're right.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Honj Steak posted:

Can somebody estimate how many inhabitants each of these countries would have? Seems like a surprisingly equal partition at first glance.
Going largely by my gut: Greece ain't got nothing on Kurdistan and Armenia. And if Armenia gets the populous part of northern India like I think it does (hard to tell with the projection and no landmarks), then Armenia's going to dwarf Kurdistan too.

To illustrate where this gut feeling comes from, a classic:

(More people live inside that circle than outside of it.)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It turns out that someone made a webpage for this sort of thing.

Greece and Kurdistan are closer than I thought.

I get higher numbers for Greece, but the two may be within three hundred million.

Armenia is as great as the other two put together.
What a nifty tool.

But unfortunately we've got severe projection issues- straight lines on a flat map aren't the same between two projections. Where the line goes through India really matters.

I eyeballed it twice, without putting a ton of effort in, and got between 1.6 and 2.6 billion people in Kurdistan.

There are a billion people between these two lines...

I think the line more generous to Kurdistan is the more accurate one, but hosed if I know for sure.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh wow. I've seen "what if Europe was colonized" maps in the past, but none that approach this one in thought and detail.

I love how they consider the continent to have spoken one "language," and consider the Roman Empire to be the "southern period" of the modern HRE.

There are just too many details, all of them cutting and cogent. I've been staring at this thing for hours and I'm sure I'll be thinking about it for a long time.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Minenfeld! posted:

"Unsiran Narodou" is a nice touch.

So Russia was settled by pirates and then fought a continent-spanning war?
The author explained elsewhere that rogue merchants from Albion exploited that region and eventually set up a society that worshiped the leader of Albion as a god, a scenario apparently inspired by the Taiping Rebellion. (From the perspective of the Radiant colonizers being considered a mere god was apparently a demotion.)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Grape posted:

Maybe also split New England in two since the bottom three are wildly different than the top three.
If the bottom three states are different it's by weight of their cities. Rural/small town western Massachusetts feels a fair bit like northern New England. You might be able to divide New England coherently, but you'd probably end up dividing Massachusetts in the process.

That's kind of the issue my gut is having with most of these cultural zones. Urban/rural cultural divides are generally greater than regional divides in my experience. Just think of Texas or California.

If you're going to say that a regional culture has urban and rural manifestations, and understand that one region can be wildly different depending on levels of urbanization, then New England is pretty coherent.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kamrat posted:

I just find it hard to believe that a major news corporation would put Hong Kong on the wrong side of the world without anyone even noticing, seems like they had a troll in the studio.

Putting Hong Kong in Hainan and no one noticing I can buy since it's at least close, but putting it in Brazil? I just can't believe that's an honest mistake.

But I don't know, maybe I'm naive. :shrug:
There's a certain type of person who gets a lot out of maps. They can look at them and process the information and make connections because they're engaged and interested. Presumably everyone in this thread. People like us find maps engaging, and spend time processing them because it's enjoyable on some level for us. Consequentially, it's hard not to remember basic map features like what South America looks like.

There are other people who don't get that thrill, who aren't especially engaged by and therefore aren't especially curious about maps. These aren't dumb people, or necessarily incurious people in general, just people who don't enjoy the same things as us. Typically people like that are obliged to learn the basics of maps, but it's less likely to stick with them because they don't think about it as much.

There are a lot of people out there like that. There are a lot of people out there who can look at South America without "NOT ASIA" blaring in their most primal image recognition centers of their brain. Brazil is big. Has a vaguely curved east coast. Close enough for them to recognize it as basically China. It's hard for us to imagine since it's so deeply, intuitively understood by the type of people who would read this thread, but that level of understanding is very much learned, and it's very possible to just not have it.

I don't have a clue how the the graphics themselves are made. Maybe someone was trolling, but maybe they've just got unlabeled maps and someone just forgot what South America looked like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

They don't need to know where Paraguay is as an isolated bit of trivia. That, in itself, is useless. But it might be interesting, occasionally even useful, to know why Paraguay did x in the 19th century, or why it is inappropriate to call people from Paraguay y, or which languages are spoken there, or how Paraguay relates to the rest of Latin America, etc. And if they know these things, and they're even somewhat familiar with its neighboring countries, then they can easily 'know' where Paraguay is as a simple logical deduction without ever having spent a significant amount of time studying maps. Cartography itself doesn't particularly interest me, it's what maps visually represent in a simplified way. I just cannot grasp not attempting to understand the social world that surrounds us and shapes us all. I couldn't live like that.

But as you say, it's a matter of personality and upbringing. I could easily imagine a biologist saying the same about the natural world, or a physicist about the physical laws that govern our universe, and I don't really know anything about those subjects.
I don't think you need to recognize shapes of countries or continents to engage with any of the things you actually value. You can know the cultures that surround and influence Paraguay without ever thinking about a shape. The shape is almost entirely meaningless.

The person who labeled Hong Kong in Brazil could be an expert on Chinese culture and the unusual relationship between the city and the country and what-have-you, and still not have recognized the shapes.

I don't think "cartography itself" interests any of use here. It's a symbolic way of understanding relationships, and that's why it's interesting. There's got to be more going on for us- this isn't the politically neutral map thread- but at the same time there's something about the way maps communicate things that's compelling.

Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is the Romans didn't really have maps the way we do. There's some travel distance charts, and some novel attempts at cartography, but by and large everyone who lived in the Roman Empire thought of the world in terms of narrative, rather than charts. So-and-so neighbors whoever, as a phrase, rather than any sort of visual representation of where these groups are. Trying to conceive of the world without thinking of maps is impossible for me, so it's fascinating to imagine a coherent world without them. Like trying to imagine how to think and make sense of the world if you don't have language. Only understanding the world without maps is a thing people have done throughout history, and people at the CNN graphics department evidently still do. (Not that I'm sure they actually have a particularly good grasp of the world at all.)

I don't have a wider point with all this, I just think it's very interesting to think about.

As a side note, your Goonited Nations gang tag... is that the UN flag with the ring from goatse? If so that's... some pretty evocative vexillology.