Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Well that map is missing Morocco at least, it was a big deal when they opened one in Rabat about 15ish years ago.

e: wow beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
That is the worst bivariate color map I have ever seen, and I have seen some bad bivariate color maps.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Here's a map of the same information that is sampled differently (still oddly, but differently), instead of per intra-country political unit or whatever thing they are doing in the map people are referencing. The trends are the same but a little clearer - the vast majority of Egypt lives near the Nile, the Niger river delta is densely populated. Lagos in particular is a hub for oil export and the busiest port in Africa (according to the Nigerian government) so it's gone from ~10 million people in 1994 to ~22 million people in 2014.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Again, I think the fact that the map is per administrative region is causing the split- if you look at the map I posted, or the dot plot version of the same data (which I'm having trouble finding) you'll see that the population density does decrease, and somewhat rapidly, but it's not as abrupt as the first map would indicate.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Faber posted:

^^^^: Your link doesn't work, I rehosted the image.

What is going on with the green color intervals in that scale?

I call "make the whole map red therefore dangerous" shenanigans

e: not that the rates aren't super high, here's NIMH's map of the US for comparison:

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 14, 2014

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

kalstrams posted:

It probably is 0 - 0.3 and 0.3 - 1.3 but it is hard to guess.

That's probably it, but it's still weird since:

There are two kinds of red in the map but only one red in the legend

The size of each interval is uneven, which usually means they are using quartiles (or septiles in this case), but there are not an equal number of regions represented in each category. One of the green intervals is not represented on the map at all.

Does the source have the data in tabular form (in Russian is fine)?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Count Roland posted:

I was wondering when the last time this happened was. States these days, and really since WW2, have tended to splinter instead of grow larger.

Like all good cartography questions with political components, the answer is "it depends"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_map_changes#21st_century

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Camoes posted:

Also Portugal apparently was subjugated by France?

Oui
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peninsular_War

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Camoes posted:

But France only invaded and destroyed a bunch of stuff, they never stayed or controlled anything.

They invaded Lisbon and kicked out the royal family and had armies stationed there and created a puppet government, that counts for me, efficacy or totality of military control notwithstanding.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't see what the problem is?

Because it is measuring homogeneity in self-identified racial categories (so for instance if you're in a nation where tribal identification is strong then you'll self-identify with that tribe rather than some blanket-U.S. style label like "caucasian"). So there is a worry that it is capturing a socio-linguistic phenomenon ("how many racial categories are in widespread use") rather than a socio-cultural phenomenon ("how racially homogeneous is this country").

I think it's probably a fine methodology on balance, especially since the alternative (use the standards of one nation's racial categorization scheme for the entire planet) I think has just as many problems (imagine using the R.S.A.'s "black/coloured/white/asian/other" scheme for instance).

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Pook Good Mook posted:

There is zero way Belgium or Switzerland is more ethnically diverse than the United States or Great Britain.

For Christ's sake, Lithuania and Latvia are supposedly more ethnically diverse than the US.

Just because the Swiss consider German Swiss different from French Swiss doesn't mean they're anywhere near as separate as America's different ethnic groups.

Well if you find a metric that captures "average difference from the national monoculture" let me know.

But in general I don't think there's a metric that is going to satisfy everyones' even cursory definitions of diversity.

e.g. is Nigeria diverse because it has something like 200 some-odd major tribal groups, or is it not diverse because over 90% of the populace is historically from a similar geographic area and would be put in the same U.S. census "race" bucket?

Is a country with a bunch of unofficial spoken languages more diverse than one with a bunch of official spoken languages, is a country with a lot of immigrants more diverse than one with a lot of different "native" cultures, &c. &c.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The fact that a racial ethnic category is in widespread use seems to me to in itself be evidence of its relevance, since ethnicity has a whole lot to do with people's own perception.

Yup, I agree. What you are going to capture is a socio-politico-cultural thingy, which I think is important and useful, but it's not super useful for a "which country is the most diverse?" pissing contest.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Please don't make this thread into this thread, thanks guys.

Here's a map of internet penetration/usage in Africa, if that helps.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Because for some reason the missing data for South Sudan is listed as 0% instead of n/a like in Western Sahara.

I would expect it's probably on par with Sudan.

e: err or not, http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats1.htm seems to say it's 100 users out a population of 10 million?

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 13, 2014

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Ofaloaf posted:

It might just be Khartoum that's wired up. If connectivity could be shown at the provincial level, South Sudan might match up more with Sudan outside of the capital.

My friend just left Khartoum a couple weeks ago and had decent D/S/L from a nationwide provider, so while I'm sure centralization is part of it I'm not certain it's all of it

Doing some digging this seems to be a lot of the reason:

Sudan's ports and coast give it access to the major undersea cables which makes the infrastructure easier to deal with.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
The dots are just clustered around capitals and there doesn't seem to be a consistent geographic pattern so I will say mineral resource.

Not a ton of dots in RSA or Africa generally so probably not anything fancy like bauxite or gold or diamonds.

No dots in Germany so probably not coal.
Aluminum, or copper?

e: wow I was way off

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
This is my go-to color picker site:
http://colorbrewer2.org/

Has the terribleness of the spectral/rainbow ROYGBIV color scale been discussed yet?
Because it's terrible.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Interesting Kashmir solution there.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Rumda posted:

Its probably just the fact that with a low population per capita rates swing wildly.

Yeah I think it's partly/mostly this. The low population provinces are so low that there's the potential for extremely high variance and so big numbers. For murders there were 166 in Ontario last year, for a murder rate of ~1 per 100,000. Nunavut had 4, which still gives it a rate of ~12 per 100,000. There are likely higher reporting rates in small towns as well.

Of note is that to be placed in the highest category Nunavut (for instance) would need >~2,000 violent crimes. Ontario can have over 100,000 violent crimes and still be in the lowest category. I'm sure that there's issues of unequal enforcement and First Nation politics and other issues involved as well.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Frostwerks posted:

Yeah but PEI has the smallest population by far of provinces plus rather high unemployment as indicated yet doesn't seem to have the per capita skewed violence stats. I really do wanna know what's up with this and if I had to guess I'd lump it in with either everyone is related to everyone or because it's mostly homogeneous ethnically/linguistically/racially although both explanations probably are closer together than they are farther apart. I mean if Billy Bob Hoskins from lot 21 gets into a fistfight at the county fair with his brother and their lawman uncle breaks up the fight but declines to follow it up with charges because it's a spat between close kin, it seems a little of column A, little of column B.

PEI has around triple the population of NWT and YT and Nunavut.

Small population means high variance, which means numbers will jump around (they could be very high or very low even if the "inherent propensity to violent crime" (if we want to be a frequentist about it) is the same among provinces. A dude tries to kill somebody in NWT and misses and the attempted murder rate goes up by 25%. He succeeds and the homocide rate goes up by 33%. It takes far more murders to move the Ontario rates around.

I agree that there still could be something going on. I'm getting my data from http://www.statcan.gc.ca/ and you see that PEI sticks out like a sore thumb. PEI was the only province with substantially fewer than 1000 reported assaults (the modal violent crime reported); even NWT and YT and Nvt. had more than 1000, which pushes those per 100,000 numbers to the thousands even before other crimes are added.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
from the d&d pics thread:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Male-female literacy differential map, 2005. Indicates, not the overall level of literacy, but the gap between male and female literacy rates.

looks like some carribean islands, lesotho, and andorra of all places have significantly more literate women than men?

also french guyana is just missing data rather than sharing data with france, department or no.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

ArchangeI posted:

A map from 2005 showing East Germany as a separate country. Good map.

hong kong is also separate

the mspaint figures on the legend weren't giving me a great vibe either

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Here's another state food map (you have to check the article for the actual labels).

http://deadspin.com/the-great-american-menu-foods-of-the-states-ranked-an-1349137024

There some clear factual errors in it though, such as "listing deep dish pizza as #1 when it's just a cludgy tomato casserole"

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Shbobdb posted:

One thing I really love about Hipsterism is their focus on organ meats and other "authentic" forms of eating. It's made getting those delicious bits so much easier. I imagine it is sort of how someone with Celiacs feels about the gluten-free diet fad, where parts of it are kind of annoying but the overall net benefit far outweighs any negatives.

Anecdotal but I've heard people with Celiacs complain about the "gluten free" stuff because with the popularity of gluten free as a buzzword means that a lot of things that are labeled as gluten free are... not. Whereas before you had only one or two brands of things but you were drat sure they were actually free of gluten, now you have a bunch of things where it's questionable if they are a tasty new alternative or if you will end up in the bathroom for the rest of the night.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

cheerfullydrab posted:

The Gambia isn't that evil.

the president keeps having reporters and students shot in iffy circumstances but i guess that's a drop in the bucket

i would vote for kiribati or tuvalu because they will soon cease to exist and we might as well throw them a bone, morally speaking

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Sounds like you need to stop making maps with your head...
and start making maps with your heart.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

When I googled "map drawn in blood" I got this old chestnut, which is pretty a propos actually.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Guavanaut posted:

All that alt-politics border stroking, and they missed out the one that actually happened.

Or does South Sudan never split in this version of reality?

I think the Upper Nile state is the only one that would be visible on this map, and just barely.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Guavanaut posted:

It would be about here I think.

I was eyeballing it but yeah that seems right. +/- some latitude. I'm certainly not going to do any real math for this dumb map.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

vintagepurple posted:

Have there been any studies done as to why moderns have gotten so much enamored with nontraditional names? It seems like up till about 1950, in Europe and American anyway (and save russians getting named stuff like Traktor), names like John, Henry, Thomas, Mary, Steven, Emily, etc (in whatever language) have been by far the most common (especially for men.) But then get to today and Johns and Marys are far outnumbered by Aschleiyghs and Jaxsns. And in Europe it seems like anglo names like Kevin are increasingly popular.

I'd really prefer a return to the days of regular names.
There's a Freakanomics chapter on it, so for a given definition of "study..."

Here are some 17th century Puritan ones, can't get more regular than that:
If-Christ-had-not-died-for-thee-thou-hadst-been-damned
Praise-God
Dancell-Dallphebo-Mark-Anthony-Gallery-Cesar
Fight-the-good-fight-of-faith
Zeal-of-the-Land
Has Descendents
Flie-Fornication

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Also why would they make specific gray call outs for the channel islands and then not make them German?

I'm so mad

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
las islas británicas son argentinas

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm amazed there's that many Puerto Ricans who want to keep the status quo. It seems like the worst of all worlds; they still have to pay US taxes and follow US law, with no say in actually making that law or deciding how the money will be spent. I would think either independence or statehood would be preferable. (Unless I'm really misunderstanding PR's situation.)

Welcome to Washington D.C.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Annex the mother country. Boom, done.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Ras Het posted:

Portugal's capital was Rio de Janeiro for quite a while.

Likewise the Gaullist/Giraudist de facto capital was in Algiers

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Finally, my school is Number 1 in something!

People need to stop making logo maps (companies, colleges, political parties, &c.) of places with small regions like U.S. midatlantic states.

I know tables aren't cool but please just put that kind of info in a table.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Kurtofan posted:

Just do like French maps usually do with the Ile-De-France region and put the small region in a separate, zoomed in corner.

edit: like this

Ile-De-France is in the upper right corner of the map.

Insets sort of work, but there are a lot of states that are plenty big to see when using for instance color but certainly not big enough to read logos, and the line is somewhat ambiguous since some logos are easier to parse in different sizes/shapes. For just chloropleth maps I think the U.S. specifically is fine with insets for Alaska, Hawaii, and maybe a callout rather than an inset for D.C.

Even in the map you posted imagine trying to read a logo in a department like Belfort, or a square-ish aspect ratio logo for some of the big but skinny departments like Nord.

Logos are just very bad to pick out if you are filing regions with them, and I wish people would stop.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i am sorry for being mad about maps

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Reveilled posted:

From the article.

That's not a drat median

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Spazzle posted:

Yeah, thats closer to mean rounded to the nearest half.

It's "median unless the median would be sufficiently/arbitrarily close to the next integer, in which case add a .5 to indicate this"

A rounded mean would make more sense.