Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Have you noticed the GOP is all but dead at the state level in California? Well, political entrepreneur and Riverside County Supervisor Jeff Stone has and plan to do something about that! No, it's not "treat Hispanics with dignity." It's a secessionist movement! Behold, the glorious state of South California:

This thread has been fascinating, I've been learning so much.

Why'd they stop the Central Valley secession at Merced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Not even Oakland supports the Raiders. That's just sad.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

platzapS posted:

Nothing about that map really makes sense. Why would the people of California or Idaho submit to rule from Beijing (supposing China wanted responsibility over a huge noncontiguous territory)? Why would the European Union admit a new member state that's bigger than Germany, with a collapsed economy, and not even in Europe?

The map is from an article published in Pravda, the Soviet propaganda rag turned tabloid. It's like trying to take apart a "Eurabia" map put in the Daily Mail, there's no actual thought behind it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

GuestBob posted:

This needs a boardgame.

[edit]

This needs a boardgame called "A Nation Divided".

Will Shattered Union do?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Plutonis posted:

What about Empress Dowager Cixi?

Not the PRC. Austria and Hungary get marked for Maria Theresa, after all.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

That really was the dumbest deus ex machina. I stopped reading after the 'atom bomb' twist.

Yeah, that was the shark jumping point- the bomb becomes the center of the rest of the story, with countries all building their own stockpiles and new designs. The whole thing is hurtling towards some sort of apocalypse and then there's a anti-climax so stupid I can't even describe it!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Sounds more like the DNVP and the like who originally supported the Nazi's rise might've decided to go with a restoration of the monarchy instead- besides, a collapsed US would've done all sorts of awful poo poo to the world economy, so who knows what's happened.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PrinceRandom posted:

Propaganda maps from WWI

First map appears to be only a mild exaggeration, based on the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk.

What does the text on that second one say? Was that based on what Lenin released from the secret Entente negotiations?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PrinceRandom posted:

I'm not sure that Brest-Litovsk set groundworks for annexation though I'm sure a economic sphere of influence was preferred to actual independent states.

The Polish Border Strip was going to be annexed, and the rest was going to be a series of puppet states- there were a lot of plans about German settlement, expulsion of Poles and such but they never got to start enacting them.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 5, 2013

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Soviet Commubot posted:

And here's a map of US counties where more than 10% of the population speaks a language other than English at home.

What're the other languages in eastern Massachusetts? Chinese and Portuguese?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Rincewind posted:

Even though I already sort of knew it anyway because of the differences in latitude, I'm still kind of surprised to see so starkly that cold, grey, rainy New England gets so much more sunshine than cold, grey, rainy old England.

You've never been out there in the summer, have you?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What are the criteria used to determine Ireland's leadership in "Quality of Life"?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ardennes posted:

It has been building up for a while, and the results have been predictable for a while. I was there in the mid-2000s and even back then it was plainly evident something was going on and thats before the economy fell apart. I guess thats more a story for another thread though.

That's a thread I'd like to read.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I understand the end of the Eastern Bloc and the recession leading to a growth of fascism, but how the hell are they still nurturing revanchism about territory they lost nearly a hundred years ago? Did it get renewed by what they took back and lost during WWII? I know there are still huge Hungarian communities in Slovakia, Romania, etc., but I don't think the majority of Germans still want Elsass-Lothringen or Eupen back.

Also holy poo poo that second map. Did the EU make sure those elections were valid?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ardennes posted:

That is the thing though, most Germans were forced to move into Germany (or Austria I guess?) and there isn't nearly the same proportion of Germans living in other neighboring states like Hungary has. It is always a nagging issue because they are still around and have little interest in fully assimilating.

Btw, I do think if there were a bunch of Germans living across Poland, things would have turned out more...interesting.

I see what you mean. Where do you think is going to happen? The world's focused on Greece and from what Zohar posted these people are almost as bad as the Golden Dawn, but it's not showing up on the international radar.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What is that, poverty rates?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

A quick count of the provinces seems to reveal that that's not actually the case. Australia looks to have 45 provinces, while China has more than that, perhaps on the order of 60-70? I didn't actually count them all. And it will depend on exactly where you draw the borders for China. I was counting the 'core' Han provinces.

Of course, that's still utterly ridiculous.

You haven't seen the worst of it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

DrProsek posted:

:stare: Good Lord man, what is this even supposed to represent anymore? Like are we trying to approach some kind of singularity where there are so many microprovinces that units just move like in any other RTS to whatever point you right click on instead of going from province to province?

I don't know- they add a somewhat reasonable number of provinces in areas like Eastern Europe and North Africa, which makes war more focused on maneuvering and tactics then slamming lots of units together, then they get to areas that aren't important and really should be designed to be easily managed from the map and they go crazy. I don't think anybody has actually played a game on this yet, or, god help them, programmed the AI for it- that'll probably be the point it falls apart.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

dethslayer666 posted:

"left canada"? It's called West Yukon jackass.

In seriousness, the USA does have too many states. Either amalgamate or break up, either way the world only needs one Dakota.

Like way too many things about American politics, it made sense at the time and people are too scared of change so we're stuck with it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think the clear answer to this question is American annexation of Canada. And Mexico. And Central America to the Panama Canal. Prettiest, most natural borders you can get without being an island.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Golden_Zucchini posted:

Yeah, I am horrible when it come to Africa. The rest of the world I can do okay with (even Southeast Asia and Central America [I had a roommate from Guatemala, which helped]), but beyond South Africa, Botswana, Kenya, and the Mediterranean and Red Sea coasts I'm completely clueless.

My first try :smug:

This may or may not have something to do with the fact that I had to take a quiz exactly like this earlier this semester for a class I'm taking.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

3peat posted:

GIve back the clay treacherous slavs! (And Hungarians!)

I had no clue we're even claiming parts of Hungary

Yeah, what's the justification for that anyway? I know the rationale for the pre-WWII borders and that part of Bulgaria, but what about the other claims on the Ukraine, Hungary, and Serbia?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Nowadays the nationalism has given way to an obsession with Byzantium. There's some kind of Serbian angle there, but I think it's mostly Roman fetishism since I see it coming from all corners.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Koramei posted:

Omitting those as cultural groups seems pretty unjustified. I think they probably just forgot. Any other major cultures that aren't represented in the game?

The Bretons are completely absent. Part of the problem is that the way the game handles accepted cultures for each country is inadequate to represent the kind of nation building by language enforcement that went on in Britain and France (And elsewhere, for that matter), but there was a conversation we had with a developer in the Paradox thread here that indicated they didn't do enough research to understand the real history of Franco-Breton relations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I get results putting me in both California and the northeast, which makes sense. My father's from Connecticut and my mother's from Oakland, they both lived in the east for many years before moving to the East Bay where I grew up.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Darth Various posted:

Hey guys are we tired of Mercator projection mocking yet?

(Credit)

Where's the control head?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

computer parts posted:

Literal translations of Chinese names for European countries.

(note that the meaning doesn't really mean much, i.e. Germany isn't really considered that moral)

Why are Russia and Belarus (White Russia) unchanged?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dusseldorf posted:

Tell that to Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner.

Roland was from Norway.
:goonsay:

Thanks for the stuff about Chinese writing, I kind've figured they'd bordered Russia for so long they'd developed their own character for it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Wasn't there one that had SA? Like maybe the first in the xkcd series? If so were were quickly dropped.

Yeah, they did. The site's traffic's dropped pretty steadily since then, though.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Ironically that entire area was almost completely unpopulated by Mexicans at the time.

As claimed by Mexico, as disputed by Comancheria.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

Michigan, West Virginia and Idaho would be bathed in blood. The Oklahoman/Texan wars would be particularly brutal as well.

Also, there probably wouldn't be a Marylander left alive once the dust settled.

Nah, we'd be using Victoria 2's system- President presses a few buttons for the issues he wants in a few random states and Election Day is Inauguration Day.

Also we'd have 20 million Jacobin Rebels rising up every few years for no discernible reason.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

it's a bit more complicated than that, though generally correct.

What're those squares? Minor routes within each country?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

System Metternich posted:

The lower the GDP, the cooler the flag, it seems to me!

That can't be right, because Albania is ranked 114th and there are dozens of countries below that that don't have a black eagle-thing on a blood red background. I am willing to accept Bhutan and its dragon as a compromise, but there are still like two dozen countries below that.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I'm sorry, but all (European) flags that use a double headed eagle are immediately uncool. ALBANIA has an imperial eagle? I mean I should not be surprised (Great Serbia hurr), but seriously.

What? First, Albanians aren't Serbs and (with the thorny exception of Kosovo) haven't been under Serbian rule for about 700 years, and second, they've been using that eagle for a long, long time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tale_of_the_Eagle

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I like Germany's roundel and laziness- "Yeah, we use the same insignia for our air force and army, what of it?"

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Redeye Flight posted:

Also the Hmongs. The Twin Cities have the largest population of Hmongs anywhere in the world outside Laos.

That must be the white dot around Merced.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I think the big white dot is Frenso, Merced is at the tail of the other smaller white dots like Modesto and Stockon.

I think I see it. The French in the North Bay is more interesting- I guess that's people learning French or coming from France because of the wine country. Except that's Marin instead of Napa/Sonoma, so I dunno what the heck.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 24, 2014

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

Having Huey Long's base centered along the Mississippi and agrarian Great Plains seems to make more sense to me than Huey Long in charge of the CSAtotally not the CSA and there will never be a CSA in Kaiserreich. :shrug:

I think there was probably a balance issue or something. The team hasn't known what the hell to do with the ACW for a long time.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Lord Tywin posted:

How do modern Austrians feel about the Austria-Hungary? I don't think I have ever came across any Austrian irredentism even on the Paradox forums.

Austrians irredentists want Sudtirol, if anything. They got most of their ethnic lands.

The Hungarians, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Oh please, don't act like your the only nation clinging to a colonial empire, Anglais

:france: