Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

YF-23 posted:

This thread is great, god knows I love maps.

Here is a personal favourite, a 19th century "Moral and political chart of the inhabited world, exhibiting the prevailing religion, form of government, degree of civilisation, and population of each country":

That guy had it in for Russians, if the Victorians consider you as bad as 'Negroes' and 'Unsubdued Indians' then you're really at the bottom of the social/racial hierarchy. Also I love the dismissal of any religion he can't be bothered to learn about as 'Pagan'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

GreenCard78 posted:

Maryland was chartered as a colony for Catholics.

To elaborate it was founded by Catholic proprietors and at first was pretty tolerant for its time, even if Catholics were generally preferred for positions of power. Then Puritans became the majority and overthrew the government, establishing a new one which outlawed Catholicism.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

yoctoontologist posted:

Racial categories used in the US Census as of 2000. (Based on ancestral origin, not personal origin, obviously.)

The Middle East and North Africa count as White? I want to see European countries introduce this classification, our racists would have the most amazing fits. :allears: (Also Hokkaido's apparently closer racially to Iceland than to the rest of Japan but I'm going to assume that's a map error)

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

PBJ posted:

Technically, all of the Eastern US is under German control, being a fascist puppet and all.

Map of world religions.

Adding to the various other problems Bangladesh is definitely not majority Hindu (that being the main reason it's separate from India) and the idea that Iraq is predominantly Sunni is hilarious to anyone who's looked at a news report at any point in the last decade.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

GreenCard78 posted:

Not sure how it works abroad but yes, North Africans, Arabs, people from the Middle East are all white according to the US Census.

http://www.ohr.gatech.edu/race%20definitions

That's from Georgia Tech but if you apply to jobs in the US, they'll have an optional demographic section at the end and they come with these same federal definitions for people to use.

In Britain at least 'Arab' is a separate ethnicity for official purposes, I'd assume it's the same in European countries that categorise such things. Shows how nebulous the concept of race is but it really boils down to immigration from North Africa and the Middle East being a boogeyman in Europe in a way that it isn't in the US. A lot of it has to do with the fact that they're Muslim and are therefore a threat to Are Christian Heritage but there's definitely a sense that they're different from white Europeans.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
This seems to be a blind spot with the UN's decolonisation process. Obviously colonialism is bad and all but what do you do when the population doesn't want to be 'decolonised'? Apparently you declare that they're wrong and they should be forced to become part of another country against their will in the name of freedom.

Here's a 19th Century French writer's vision of how Europe would look in the 20th Century.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

DrProsek posted:

Is the black province BNP, or is unpopulated or something? Sorry I'm kinda ignorant about British politics :v:.

That'll be Thirsk and Malton,a constituency where one of the candidates died so the election there was delayed for a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

DrProsek posted:

Ahhh, :smith:. Well at least it's good to hear there's no BNP constituencies; I know they're a fringe group anyway but when I see black on an electoral map I think far-right.

Our FPTP system means it's incredibly hard for new parties to get anywhere (the Greens have one seat but they had to throw most of their resources at that one IIRC and they're nowhere near a breakthrough anywhere else). It's poo poo but the upside is that a BNP constituency was never very likely even at their height and since 2010 they've more or less fallen apart tothe point where they're planning to collect and sell scrap metal to stay afloat. far-right even if they're not necessarily fascist.