Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It's not the land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

i poo poo trains posted:

I actually have a politically loaded map hanging right behind me! (Warning: big)

I didn't bother taking it off the wall for the picture, but it gets the point across.

I knew this looked familiar. :laffo:

e: vvv we...know each other. vvv

computer parts fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 2, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Unrelated, but those Virginia maps on the last page reminded me that I would have liked to see West Virginia just be called plain old Virginia since it had the only state government in VA recognized by the federal government during the Civil War when it split off from the rest of the state.

And Virginia of today renamed Traitorous Rat Virginia.

Doesn't work since they ceased being the government of Virginia when they voted themselves to secede from Virginia and become West Virginia.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

i poo poo trains posted:

lol that 'Ecotopia' is a strip of mostly densely settled once-forested coast while most of the actual natural areas are the "Empty Quarter". What a bunch of chauvinist horseshit.

Also the racial connotations of "Mexamerica" when Hispanic breakdowns are like so:

It just screams "I have never been to this part of the country so hurf durf".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Also apparently Alpine County are fans of the Bears? That's pretty much all forest and mountains, what's up with that?
Species solidarity?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

eSports Chaebol posted:

It was given the name by an abolitionist, though. I mean, Rhode Island is the only of the colonies with a genuinely benevolent origin.

Was Maryland the one that was all "Catholics and Jews can come here!" (I'm guessing so due to the name)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

a pipe smoking dog posted:

These maps really freak me out because of how obviously "ghetto-ised" American cities are.

Do similar ones exist for European cities? You may be surprised at how they are.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I guess now you know why a lot of western states don't want more government influence in their lives. :v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Monkey Man posted:

Why isn't there a Star of David in Florida?

EDIT: Also, what are those swaths of Catholicism in the western US? I thought that was Mormon country.

The Spanish converted a lot of people in the West; not everyone came in with Manifest Destiny from the US. One of those blue splotches looks like Boise which I know for a fact is full of Catholics and/or Hispanics.

e: well probably more German Catholic but that's fairly common as well

computer parts fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 18, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

prefect posted:

Stops at 93%? :confused:

I'm guessing China can't deny the Uyghur are religious, although I found a chart that seems to disagree with that (the first map) :

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

All Of The Dicks posted:

The disunity of the British Isles vexes me. Tiny islands should not have separate nations in them.

At least it's better then Hispaniola.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cygni posted:

Most common location for a craigslist missed connection by state.

Or, Walmart.png.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Not a map persay, but this is the flag of Detroit

the lettering translates as "We hope for better things" and "It will rise from the ashes", after the city was literally burned to the ground in the early 1800s.

A little ironic/appropriate these days.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

All Of The Dicks posted:

The source of the name "California" is interesting in that it is not a real word or even derived from a real word in any language. Rather, it seems to have come from the name for a mythical island in a popular novel of the time. Like, if it were discovered today and named 'Narnia' or 'Arrakis' or something like that.

Or Westeros! :hurr:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hey Salt Lake City. What up?

Urban centers are generally more liberal no matter where you go. There were a *lot* of LGBT flags the last time I was in Boise, for example.

LP97S posted:

Also I need to question the use solely of e-harmnoy, eschewing other sites like match, chemistry, christian mingle, j-date, and apps like grindr.

It's their own users as far as I can tell, which is useful in that the other sites are behind a pay wall and so skew to those specific interests (christian mingle for example is probably full of crazies).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The second one posted was the Human Development Index which includes relative income.

And was used as a "lol Mississippi" joke.

If you understand that race is correlated with poverty, this map is why there's so much poverty/obesity/etc in that state.

(Mississippi has the highest black percentage population, at 37%)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lawman 0 posted:

Yeah Japan should basically be crimson red or whatever if those stories about the insane amount of racism there hold any water. :psyduck:

They probably mean tourists instead of immigrants.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Apparently having no zoning laws helps in your freedom ranking, which explains why Texas is so high. :hurr:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dilbertschalter posted:

Given that one of the most common reasons zoning laws are enacted is to make land too expensive for lower income people to move in and that another major one is to protect vested interests (e.g. I own a store and I don't want someone else opening a store and reducing my profits), that doesn't seem to be a particularly objectionable claim.

The joke is that Houston lets you open a beer cannery next to residential housing (I literally saw this driving through once).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Senor Gato posted:

If Houston's bad it's because half of it is a parking lot, not because it arbitrarily separates residential and business areas

There are many valid reasons someone would want to separate residential and business areas.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Amused to Death posted:

Aw we're exactly tied with Colorado. My failure to finish college is dragging us down to a tie :(

and good god West Virginia

That statistic is a little misleading because there are plenty of jobs in West Virginia that don't require a bachelor's degree (coal mining mostly, but still).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

twoday posted:

Also, I love this:

That looks too much like China to be a coincidence.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Soviet Commubot posted:

Many people in France, both left and right wing, see any official recognition of minority cultures in France as the first step on the road to the destruction of France.

And suddenly a lot of stuff about Europe begins to make sense.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

3peat posted:

On the other hand It's weird that America is "safe" since almost every week I see some news about policemen there killing people because their black or "look muslim", they have a lot of guns around and way more crime than us. Here nobody got guns and I love it that way, I'd be scared shitless to go to america cause I'd spend all my time worrying that some psycho gonna pull out a gun and shoot me cause I look brown or whatever.

If you're Native American you probably have about as much of a chance of that happening in Canada.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

reignonyourparade posted:

I've actually read claims, I don't know how legitimate they are, that global warming picked up when anti smog laws started getting passed, and that before that global warming was in part being countered by 'global darkening.'

My dad's a climatologist and he says that that is a major reason why our temperatures have been going up so fast recently.

Granted, it's still a terrible way to combat climate change because we don't know how it will work, but it is a countering force.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Amarkov posted:

I love how both "Abrahamic" and "Jewish" are there. Was he going to put Christianity and Islam but then changed his mind?

Both are in there (under Mediterranean and Persian (:psyduck: ) respectively).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

reagan posted:

Aren't mainland Chinese kind of prejudiced against people from HK as well? Talking to my professors, the guys from HK say that they catch guff from their mainland colleagues. Hell, one guy even said one of the Indian professors derides him for being Westernized.

Maybe in southern China but I think overall it's just "that place that's Chinese but we need a passport to go to".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

vickser posted:

I believe T. Boone Pickens has been on the "natural gas in cars" bandwagon for about a decade as well.

He's since moved to wind I believe.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TinTower posted:

Given Middle-Earth is analogous to Europe, you never know.

I'm guessing it's a joke on Belarus, since that's "White Russia".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

My dad was born in Oregon but raised in Louisiana and a lot of the south (and his dad's from Missouri) so we say both crawfish and crawdads.

e: a better soft drink map:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Just saw this from my friend on Facebook:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GaussianCopula posted:

How are the risks weight? The danger of a drought is probably not as bad for the normal, non-farmer, then say a major earthquake.

It also gives a new meaning to red state.

Probably yearly fatalities/property damage or else Boise and the cities in Nevada wouldn't be quite as safe.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

withak posted:

I think in most places it just can't be opened if it is in the passenger compartment. You can keep newly-bought bottles of anything up front, but if you are bringing a half-finished bottle home from a party then it has to go in the trunk.

That's the law in Texas, and Oklahoma apparently meets some standard of open beverage law called the TEA-21.

e: It looks like you're thinking of Tennessee.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Soviet Commubot posted:

What exactly can yellow mean here? I grew up in a yellow county (Gratiot, Michigan) and the only restrictions I remember are no sales between 2AM and maybe 8AM and no sales before noon on Sunday. Is it just stuff like that?

Yellow means everything that's not "buy whatever whenever" and "you can't have a liquor store in the county".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Crowsbeak posted:

:stare: I knew life on Reservations was bad, but those numbers are like what I would expect of the worst parts of Zimbabwe. Seriously what the hell is wrong with this country? Although I'll gladly use these stats when ever some libertarian racist shitheel says they don't deserve what little the Feds give them.

Reservations are unique in that they're technically separate entities (like states are) so they don't get any revenue from the state they happen to be in. And the feds don't really care that much about them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Buttery Pastry posted:

At least that has the excuse of being the same word, just in two languages that have diverged. Danish/Dutch just has the D, and I suppose a bit of a libertine reputation?

They're also pretty close to each other (more than Estonia and the Balkans anyway).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why is Sweden grey? It's had a few female monarchs.

I'm assuming monarchs don't count or else the UK would be purple.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ErichZahn posted:

America needs to be pink to honor the legacy of Nancy Reagan, our worst female president.

She's no Edith Wilson to be sure.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The US should be Red because it doesn't have a parliament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phlegmish posted:

That's not really true. America doesn't have a parliamentary system since the executive branch is not entirely dependent on the legislature, but the United States Congress is still a (bicameral) parliament in the general sense of the word.

I was being cheeky but specifically the Congress is a reaction to the idea of a Parliament. It's a legislative body but strictly is not a parliament.