Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A story of Crimea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The only thing I recognize is somehow England has a thin blue line flag.

Spaced God posted:

this is.... impressively bad.

The person deleted his reddit post so I can't find the original image but this was in the comments

Croatia is dalm.

"Saudi Terrorists" is an odd choice for your ideal world.

No idea who Kalmar is, but apparently he decided to let Canada have Greenland.

The new city-states of Brussels, Baghdad, and I guess...Aragon?

I feel like people who are in favor of one big west coast nation are weird in the head.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Alabama did get a chunk of the western part of the Florida panhandle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Florida

Imagine if the original Florida had been annexed as it was and was a state today.

You'd have another California.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Peanut President posted:

if a frog had wings...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_frog

And yet, the world will never be fair.

For some thread content, how about a map that I'm a massive dork for remembering.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Killing people in the street is something to be uncomfortable about, but half the shows I watched as a young kid were all about groups of people doing covert strikes against oppressive regimes, so I find it hard to not sympathize.

When legitimate avenues of resistance have been eliminated, you do what you can.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Can't believe this place that never rains is running out of water and constantly on fire.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also notable is that much of the territory that was otherwise unconquered by the Ottomans was was taken over by Venice.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think a better comparative question might be "Are the Quebecois Canadian?"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess if some kind of disastrous balkanization happened to China, that would have a pretty severe effect on the ability of NK to persist.

I get what they're trying to do with Catalonia, but making it a blue bull makes it looks like it's been annexed into France. The balkans seem pretty lazy too, but maybe my eyeballs just aren't picking up what they're supposed to be.

I like Russia's second bear claw.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The entire landscape of flavors was wildly changed by the discovery of America and its various plants, but it was changed even further by modern production and transportation capacity that has led to us living in a relative age of abundance that would make most of our modern food enviable by the people of the past.

While there are still issues with food today, a lot of romanticization of the past overlooks how good we've got it. I would sure like to try that herb that Romans ate into extinction though.

Cat Mattress posted:

Reminder that puritans thought a strict regimen of the blandest food possible was a moral imperative in order to prevent people from getting horny, which was obviously the ultimate evil. Oatmeal for breakfast came from that

That was 7th day adventists. Puritans were too busy desperately trying to survive in a strange new land with zero practical skills from being a cult of people without useful skills to be picky.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Those are some pretty wild and crazy internal borders.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So the Japanese brought the chile to Mexico, good to know.

Nice Mediterranean.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

why are redditors so obsessed with ethnostates

Because everybody's been taught that the leading cause for strife in the middle east is the fact that Europeans drew lines without paying attention at all to local populations, so the outsider perspective for a solution is to try to divide by ethnicity of local populations.

Which isn't exactly wrong, since it really does cause a lot of problems that there are all these fundamentally disenfranchised populations, but it also ignores things like relative land value and the diffusion of ethnic people throughout eachother's territory over the last ~50-300 years, or the fact that most ethnostate movements are fundamentally fascist.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Bad news for dongle inhabitants.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was under the impression that abacus calculations were more widespread than working it out with latin numbers on paper. They're good for fancy monuments, but in common usage, the medieval French sure as hell didn't seem beholden to latin number structure from their weird base 20 language artifacts.

I just don't understand, out of all the blatant lies and idiotic errors he's said out of his anus, why is this the hill he's willing to die on?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

i keep a paper republican calendar at my desk next to my miniature guillotine

When the next revolution needs mass circumcisions, they'll know who to call.

Enjoy working 10 days a week.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You can shrug about 9 days a week now, but you'll be hurting after it's been wednesday for 5 days straight. It was a dumb idea with no concern for the people it affected. Which really describes a lot of the actual french policies of revolutionary France. It's better when romanticized from afar than actually dealing with what it was.

Anyways, have a nice Mexican Marigold day, be ready for harvesting basket day tomorrow. You only get 3 basket days a year.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tomato and clam are meant to be together, I don't care what purists think. Go argue about malts v. shakes instead.

The Falklands are also missing, which is a little odd. And does Japan really feel that strongly about whaling?

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

I like how Texas seems to be a competition between Whataburger and In-N-Out. Having moved to Texas from California, I thought they were joking when they suggested it was even a comparison.

Whataburger isn't bad, but it's just another grease bomb joint like any of the others. Compare it to Jack in the Box, not In-N-Out.

Whataburger is pretty good, but they stopped doing my favorite burger of theirs, so I stopped going out of my way to eat at it. Place I used to live was covered in Whataburgers, but now they're all real distant. I really liked how they made the burger as a whole thinner but wider, so that you can perfectly grab and stick the thing in your mouth instead of those dumb falling apart tall burgers some places do.

In-N-Out has various properties, but the primary one is being even further away from where I live than the Whataburgers, so to me it currently lacks the primary desired characteristic of fast food.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Louisianna's coast is disappearing. Rising sea levels and all that, land is going underwater.

Except...uh, this little spur isn't getting with the program.

It's all part of the whole system of shifting coastline that created most of the area in the first place. Sediment being carried by the river along the way and being deposited at the coastline.

Except this has also been accidentally caused by human attempts at stopping flooding, thereby shooting sediment along the tube of levies out to sea much faster and stronger. It's all a mess, environmental engineering is hard, maybe we can do better in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFiNmEWXPPM
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/world-of-change/WaxLake

Saladman posted:

Do you eat pineapple on your pizza too, you god drat monster?

And when you eat that pineapple pizza, do you eat it with a fork and knife?

(And yeah, I agree with luxury handset. Calling Manhattan clam chowder "chowder" is misleading and I would literally send it back in a restaurant if it had "clam chowder" listed and came with tomato, unless it was specified)

It's fun to poo poo talk people about food and act all intensely aggressive about things that don't matter, but every so often I sit back and notice that food purism is basically a microcosm of conservatism.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Just do the system where people in the territories, possessions, and DC still get representation and voting/citizenship rights.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Soviet Commubot posted:

:flashfap:

e: I just noticed Texiceland

Texas is just keeping Iceland's seat warm while it's on its turkish vacation.

Scandinavia's gone a little wrong and Germany seems a bit empty.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

System Metternich posted:

I see that Luxembourg has finally ceased to exist

It's the state of Franklin.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

lol

Also why do goons only know how to rate places based on how "good" the food is.

Because other casual ways of rating places off of broad generalizations tend to get insulting or racist.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I am kinda proud of America's counterfeit cheeses and such, since protected national food copyrights always seemed kinda dumb to me. I mean I complain about Disney's copyright ip law, 'course I'm gonna grumble about the others.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Grape posted:

I do respect the intent, of trying to protect certain smaller operations from competition. But like I said, there's something kinda off about it. And narrowing down the region cuts out other areas where small operations have been making Thing for ages.

That does sound a little like how Switzerland wound up culling many of its cheese varieties between tight regulation and a corrupt cheese cartel. Although I'm not sure how much the Swiss participate in EU standards, they normally try to stay apart from the rest of Europe.
https://thinkgrowth.org/the-swiss-cheese-mafia-1dd096425f0d

And they even put out advertisements accusing people of cheese-piracy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess it really is Greece's fault for damaging the EU.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was poking around, and found this cool website that had a gif that I think belongs here.
https://bigthink.com/robby-berman/dominant-religions-in-the-us-county-by-county

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm Damned Yankee Land.

Or more informatively, how 'bout a map of territory that most maps of the period ignore.

Mexico allowed a bunch of American immigration because they thought that they'd provide a buffer, but then most Americans just kinda settled in that empty area to the east and didn't divert any raiding.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like how NYC has been entirely annexed and Massachusetts is smaller than ever, but this expansion of Rhode Island cannot stand.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Missouri lost the last of its coast and Colorado has a weird exclave.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Why are weapons a category if they show up nowhere on the map?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Caspian and the Great Lakes should count as seas.

RIP Aral.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Happy to announce that Utah has its own sea.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

30-50

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought the cool thing in the thread was to drop a map with an obtuse hint.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Map-of-predicted-population-density-of-wild-pigs-for-habitat-occurring-across-the-world_fig3_314394782

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think I've seen them since the 90s. In blockbuster. Got some Nick-L-Nips once, didn't care for them.

The Texas one seems weirdest to me. Not because of my opinions on licorice, but because I just don't think I've ever seen just generic black licorice in a movie theater.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I assume.

I mean if it's not, then like what are even the parameters for defining movie candy and where would you pull that from. Are you going to start taking data from movie theaters that serve food and say pizza's a top movie candy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the US could come out against it, but the concept of human rights or that genocide is wrong is beyond the current administration. You can even see it in how despite having started a trade war against them, the pissfuck still acts weirdly reverential about their lifelong dictator or the authority their police wield without fear of public opinion. He envies their crimes against humanity and only resents their economic position in the world.

And yes, the current administration is directly engaged in its own soft-ish genocide program that it's trying to keep quiet. It's a smaller scale and has a lot more pushback and publicity, but there are obvious parallels.

Anyhow, here's another map.

Or rather a map-shaped infographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

How does Argentina have the same number as Brazil? How does Colombia have the same number as both?

They get about the same amount of tourists I guess? After a little poking around, I found a few more maps. Here's one about raw numbers of tourists which is a little different.

https://www.movehub.com/blog/popular-countries-map/

But I think the more interesting story is probably tourism as a percentage of GDP, which tells a very different story. Wealthier countries have more infrastructure to get more money from its tourists in raw numbers, but poorer countries still need what they get.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/...d-Maldives.html

And since that link is to the Daily Mail, I'll just balance this out with a link to CNBC that's probably more reliable and tracks even more variables, but also chose to do its maps in a way which is less clear and visually grabbing, and did top 10 lists for everything.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/29/tourism-how-much-do-countries-spend-to-attract-tourists.html