Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

animal math posted:

The Pig War was a dispute in 1859 about where the boundary between the US and Canada should be between Washington and Vancouver Island. The blue line was favoured by the US, the red line was favoured by Britain/Canada, and the green line was the compromise.

By God that was an American pig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Farecoal posted:

I don't get it :saddowns:

It shows Mexico with its pre-Mexican-American War boundaries.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Budzilla posted:

This should have been posted in the OP. PNAC redrawing of the ME.

Despite Afghanistan gaining territory it's labelled red because it loses Herat.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Ferrosol posted:

You mean this one?

Pretty sure East Germany was just as legitimately a successor state to "Germany" as West Germany. Also, that's a pretty janky looking West Germany.

I'll just link this map because it's interactive. Notably it includes Germany and Yemen as unified countries before unification. Also, apparently the Soviet Union broke up pre-1980? But perhaps the worst offense of all is that French Guiana, an integrated department of France is not given the same ease of doing business rank as France, while Kaliningrad, another discontiguous, but integrated region, is given the same rating as Russia. http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/IC.BUS.EASE.XQ?page=6&display=map

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Farecoal posted:

Wellllllll, technically the modern countries that once made up the Soviet Union were all republics inside it, so there was a Russia SFSR, Ukranian SFSR, Estonian SFSR. Of course its more likely that map is just lazy

I may be incorrect on this, but it's my understanding that the SFSRs had much, much less autonomy than a US state does. I'm pretty sure the map is just lazy.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012

PROUD SHIT STAIN

TheImmigrant posted:

Heh. I'd much rather be black or Muslim or other minority in the US than anywhere in Western Europe.

I'd rather be transgendered, Aboriginal Muslim in Canada than a minority anywhere in the US :smug:

This thread is going places.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012

PROUD SHIT STAIN

menino posted:

It's pretty easy to have good internal race relations when you just kill the ones you don't like. Romanians have about as much moral authority as Germans when it comes to racial politics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ia%C8%99i_pogrom

It's pretty easy to have good internal race relations when you just kill the ones you don't like. Romanians have about as much moral authority as the Americans when it comes to racial politics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_Tears

Alternatively:

It's pretty easy to have good internal race relations when you just kill the ones you don't like. Romanians have about as much moral authority as Israelis when it comes to racial politics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Palestinian_exodus

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Amarkov posted:

Why is Poland just a plagueless hole?

Where is the historical data indicating a presence of the Black Death in the Kola Peninsula?

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Phlegmish posted:

At this rate, 600K would only last them a decade at most. Current demographic trends aren't set in stone, though. I can see Eastern European fertility rates going back up in the near future, which is what happened for native Western Europeans in the past two decades (except Germans). Still lower than the replacement rate, but enough to stave off complete demographic collapse.

That's true, a lot of those deep-blue areas are probably rural areas with a low population density. It's part of the general trend of people moving from the periphery to the center. Belgium and the Netherlands don't really have the equivalent of that kind of peripheral area, and that's why you don't see any blue zones there. Still, Germany has been losing population for years now. I wonder how that will affect its social security system, particularly pensions, once baby boomers start retiring. Will they be to able to cope with it? It looks like they'll be hit even harder than the rest of Western Europe.

Another potential explanation for Germany not seeing fertility rates rise is that eastern Germans have maintained fertility levels of an Eastern European country. Considering that eastern Germany is more in line with Eastern Europe in terms of economic development, and the fact that like most Eastern European countries, eastern Germany has very few immigrants (who tend to have more children) it's not hard to see why Germany doesn't doesn't have Western European fertility rates.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012

PROUD SHIT STAIN

marktheando posted:

But a pick up truck and a wheelbarrow are very different? I don't think you have thought this comparison through.

Anyway here are some maps-

Europe in 1100ad.

Europe in 1200ad.

Bohemia was pretty well integrated into the Holy Roman Empire in both 1100 and 1200. Any idea why it wouldn't be on this map? Also, those are some pretty great maps.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Fandyien posted:

The treaty of Tordesillas was written before anyone knew the extent of the globe in either direction, though, and was routinely ignored by the Spanish when it was politically expedient. So it just got more complicated the more poo poo people discovered. I don't think that's the best example of a clear delineation of borders.

Both the Spanish and the Portuguese ignored or invoked Tordesillas when it was politically expedient. The treaty of Tordesillas has almost nothing to do with borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I love the addition of an independent Jewish nation sincerely calling itself "Hebrewland." It sounds like a theme park that's never open on Saturdays due to a lack of employees. :jewish:

There's some alternate reality where you can order "He-Brew the Beer Brewed in Hebrewland by Hebrews"

YF-23 posted:

There was a (slightly) higher res version of the map posted earlier in this thread I think:

Is this by participation or TV numbers?