Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Initial frontlines and offensives of the Finnish Civil War.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Squalid posted:

Genetic map of Europe. Axes represent genetic difference from north to south and east to west. Overlap between states represents greater genetic homogeneity. Note that Ireland and the UK are much more similar to one another than they are to Denmark or Norway or Germany. This is overlap is not due solely to the Welsh and Scots, the English are more similar genetically to the Irish than they are to other Germanic people. This is because the bulk of both nation's DNA comes not from invaders arriving within the last few millennia but from the first human settlers to the islands. Of course the Y chromosome has a different history in Britain, but that represents a small portion of total DNA.

In one genetic map I saw, the genetic difference between eastern and western Finns was larger than the difference between Swedes and Italians. And the Finland-Swedes (ethnic minority in Finland that speaks Swedish as its native language) was clearly a western Finnish population.

Soviet Commubot posted:

A kinda dumb map of this guy's vision of a future federal Europe. I imagine a similar map could be made in Victoria 2 by just going to every major country in Europe and hitting the "release nation" button until you can't anymore.

Sami people would still be a small minority in their "own" country.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kurtofan posted:

What money would Quebec use? The livre? The louis?

They'd revert back to the original Canadian currency: beaver skins :canada:.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I'm more interested in those Irish tweets from Finland and Brazil. People on vacation maybe, especially the Brazil ones?

The tweets from Finland are made by a known shitheap rape defending linguist.

Edit: heh, too slow.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

PittTheElder posted:

You didn't even give them Finland? 2/10.

There isn't even Finland on that map.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

You answered yourself I think.

It's a fringe thing in Korea, not widely believed. There are other, less obviously insane but still comically wrong things that are much more widely believed.

Spill it out man, tell us.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

cheerfullydrab posted:

You don't think it's sad that the blob on the right got screwed over in 1919?

Why is that blob there, by the way?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Peanut President posted:

Well yeah but Russia just conquered Crimea without even firing a shot.

Crimea is p. close to Russia.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Truly 1900s Minnesota lacked all of these! Hence it's reputation as a second Eden rather than frozen wasteland.

It had more farming land compared to the Nordic countries. Lots of Finns moved there also.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kassad posted:

Smallpox alone was deadlier than the plague, and it wasn't the only disease brought in by Europeans and their livestock. Native groups suffered the equivalent of a plague outbreak every few years, for something like a century.

The really sad thing is that those epidemics were basically unavoidable even if the Europeans that came to the Americas had been literal saints.

Literal saints were even filthier than your average Spaniard, so it would have been even worse.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

DarkCrawler posted:

So how come we Europeans were such filthy disease-ridden hobos? Greater population? Better links to the rest of the world? Both?

Main reason was that Old Worlders had many different species of tamed animals that could infect humans with various diseases, and trade routes that spread those diseases around. And on top of that European cities were just hobo camps compared to Arabic, Chinese or Ancient Mediterranean cities with running water and baths.

^ :argh:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Emanuel Collective posted:

What would Venice's economy consist of? Tax shelters?

Carrying tourists around on boats and selling filming rights to Bond films.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Always good.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Count Roland posted:

Speaking of countries breaking away, remember how disputed Kosovo was when it left Serbia? Russia was very much opposed. More countries support it now:

Why hasn't Spain recognized it?

Shbobdb posted:

Glass is going to come back in a big way! From there, all Venice has to do is trade Antioch and Constantinople for religious artifacts and the economy will become self-sustaining in no time.

Woah, blast from the past.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Ah, of course. I understand that Greece and Cyprus haven't recognized it, because they are Orthodox countries, but why has Bulgaria recognized it, but not Romania or Slovakia?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

the jizz taxi posted:

Some theories say life might be possible in the upper layers of Jovian planets as well. So to be sure, better to shoot all that waste onto a lifeless rock moon like Amalthea.

Why not Australia?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

TheBalor posted:

Genghis Khan was Mongolian for "Universal Ruler."

Was it really? Wikipedia disagrees, and the name could mean "iron", and mean that he was a blacksmith or that he was named after a famous warrior who had "Iron" as a nickname.

Edit: Iron Ruler is pretty boss name, but I think that the best ruler name is The First Emperor.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 25, 2014

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Well it makes sense. If I thought Ukraine was in Iowa I would definitely think that the US should be more forcefully opposed to it being annexed by Russia.

I remember reading about Georgians (US) who were afraid of invading Russians in 2008.

Shouldn't all of them just be Ukraine?

the jizz taxi posted:

Internet Swedes are among the smuggest and most chauvinist people ever. To some extent, Internet Scandinavians can be all a little smug, but Swedes are generally the worst.

Agreed. Scandinavians are scrubs :smug:.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Lycus posted:

Hm, I guess Estonians really are more similar to other Baltics than they are to Finns.

Coastal Estonians are probably closely related to Western Finns.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

the jizz taxi posted:

Interesting, though it doesn't say much about phenotypical diversity. For example, the distribution in the populations of France, the Netherlands, Belgium and England is unsurprisingly similar, but generally speaking, Dutch and English people look recognisably different from French and Belgian people.

I'm not a geneticist, but I think that superficial features are only a very small part of genes. I've read that humans' genetical diversity is smaller than chimpanzees' that live in a single forest.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

IceAgeComing posted:

Here's a politically loaded map about a thing that happened two hundred years ago!

This is a map of the results from the last election to the UK House of Commons before the passing of the Great Reform Act; which started to move towards making Britain a true democracy. This might make no sense to people outside the UK, so I'm going to explain the UK electoral system at the time. There was (and technically still are, it only effects election expenses) two type of seats: "County" seats that predominantly represented the rural, wealthy land-owning elites and "Borough" seats, which represented towns. There wasn't a real approach in creating boroughs: they were randomly created by the King to provide a reward to towns. Many of these were enfranchised in the 14th-16th Century; and the towns that they represented died soon after but they still got two MPs in Parliament. The only reason for disenfranchisement was corruption. This led to a situation where you had seats in so-called "Rotten Boroughs" bought and sold: fathers would control a seat and pass it on to their sons; with no real chance in being defeated. The biggest example of this is Old Sarum which held a right to elect two MPs to parliament despite the fact that the town died out due to the construction of Salisbury around about the time that in was enfranchised. By this election in 1831; it had an electorate of 7; all landowners who resided somewhere else. Bear in mind that big cities like Birmingham didn't have a right to elect any MPs. The unreformed parliament is really interesting; especially since it was a den of corruption for hundreds of years (most of the little dots in Cornwall were created by Henry VIII to guarantee a parliamentary majority; and were usually hamlets by that time and were universally disenfranchised by the reform act - in 1831: Cornwall only elected 2 MPs less than the whole of Scotland! In England; the Tories seem to have 3 county seats: the rest are in rotten boroughs that had been bought over time; and were eliminated by the next election,

Its also interesting to see the amount of Tories in Scotland and Wales: that's because the County Franchise in England was 40 shillings of property: while in Scotland it was 40 shillings adjusted to inflation; meaning that many Whig voters not part of the landed elite couldn't vote. There's also a weird thing in Scotland were there were sets of twinned counties that only elected seats to alternate parliaments; which created a silly situation where bits of Scotland simply didn't have MPs for a whole parliament!

I've been reading Patrick O'Brian's historical novels set in the Napoleonic Wars and this clears a few things.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hip Flask posted:

Britain and France illegally colonized the whole shebang before that

I don't think that they broke any laws Tim.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Maybe this clears the situation a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-evIyrrjTTY

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Italy and Balkans are stealing Austria's boots.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I'm bit dissapointed that Balkan versions don't use Greater Serbia etc. versions.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HonorableTB posted:

The situation with Russia is a lot more complex though. Crimea was a part of Russia long before it was a part of Ukraine. The Crimean Khanate was annexed into Russia in 1783 and Khrushchev gave it to Ukraine in 1954. The Crimean people were overwhelmingly in favor of being a part of Russia as opposed to being under Ukrainian control. 171 years of inundation with Russian culture and emigration gives a good reason for why Russia would want to take it back, as well as why Crimea should be allowed to secede from Ukraine and join the country they wish to. It doesn't matter what country it is, the Crimean people have the right to determine who they want to be ruled by (either self rule or rule under another country's government). Forcing a group of people to stay where they don't want to be doesn't ever work out so well. There's always a lot of trouble down the line when you try to do that.

Do you really believe that they had honest referendum about joining Russia?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HonorableTB posted:

Honest or not, that's the way the vote went. Unless someone can prove the results of the vote were illegitimate, then it has to stand. If you can't prove election fraud, how can it be invalidated? Saying the election isn't valid because people don't like the results of it doesn't make it so. I'm more inclined to believe the results were in favor of Russia (though I also believe the election itself had the numbers skewed) because ethnically Russian Crimeans have been agitating against the Ukrainian government for decades.

Edit: Crimea's population is 58% ethnically Russians or Russians that immigrated there (either by choice or through Soviet deportation in the 30s/40s), which adds to my belief.

Legality has nothing to do with it. The result stands because Putin wants it to.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

TheImmigrant posted:

Iran legitimizes prostitution with the Shi'a legal fiction of temporary marriages. Their jurisprudence is fascinating, if you're interested in law.

Are there notaries in brothels issuing marriage licenses, or how does it work?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Are you Russian, HonorableTB?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Torrannor posted:

But Constantinople was the center and capital of the Eastern Roman Greek Empire for roughly ten centuries, so they held it longer than the Turks. Their claim is certainly much stronger than any they have to Persia, apart from the fact that the Romans Greeks built the city in the first place.

Actually, I think quite a few people in Europe would be happy about the Greeks taking Istanbul, because it would make Turkey ineligible to join the EU...

No it wouldn't.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

And more than a million Muslims got forced out o Bulgaria in 1878. Wow its like how I said that the Balkans consisted of a bunch of nations willing to do anything to keep themselves linguistically and religiously pure. Really if your going to go at the turks why not go at all of them for being horrible? Also while I think turkey should apologize for the genocide against the Armenians. However the situation of the Greeks it has no reason to. Speaking of the Armenians.

Why did Turks genocide Armenians, but didn't kill other non-Turks in the same area?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Farecoal posted:

Oh yes those poor Greeks suffering under the horrible Ottoman empire, notable for levying an extra tax on non-Muslims. Truly awful

Didn't they have to give some of their children to Ottomans for slavery? When did that end?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Blacks are still sitting at the back.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

3peat posted:

What? I thought they were the same language

They're dialects with armies, ie. languages.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

The Baltic Sea (most languages)

The Western Sea (Estonian)

The Eastern Sea (All German languages, except English.)

Finns also call it the Eastern Sea, because Finland was so long part of Sweden. Though Finns call the Gulf of Bothnia "North's Gulf" unlike others.

Romans called it the Suebic or the Germanic sea.

I don't know any Korean level crazy groups who want other countries to change the name they use.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 21, 2014

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I'd like you to stop using words Dutch oven, it's degrading to all ovens.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Soviet Commubot posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:france:

In Welsh, the Lord's Sea (my Welsh is crap so that may not be right)

In Breton, the British sea or Breton sea. Brittany and Britain are distinguished as Breizh and Breizh Veur, literally Britain and Great Britain. Sometimes Brittany is called Breizh Vihan, or Little Britain.

Not really specific enough, there are rednecks in every corner of the US.

What's with the bros?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Dusseldorf posted:

Wait, what does Opera do?

Oppresses Belorussians.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Farecoal posted:

Actually that map conflicts with the one from the Wikipedia article

Blue - IE
Green - Chrome

despite Wikipedia getting it from the same site :confused:

Oh wait, turns out the Wikipedia one only counts desktop browsers

Do the results depend on your browser :)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Or he was just better at torturing people.