Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Woodrow Wilson's wonderful idea for a Armenian state. I'm sure the Kurds and Turks in that planned nation would have been fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

univbee posted:

Another fun :can: map, courtesy of the thread about lowering the drunk driving limit in the States:

Having been through Wisconsin a hundred times I can not emphasize how much this map is entirely true.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Soviet Commubot posted:

What exactly can yellow mean here? I grew up in a yellow county (Gratiot, Michigan) and the only restrictions I remember are no sales between 2AM and maybe 8AM and no sales before noon on Sunday. Is it just stuff like that?

I suspect that's how it seems to be for the most of the places of Michigan I've visited. Oh whats with the lone county in South Dakota?

BTW nice to see a person from where my Mom's home county hails from.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Konstantin posted:

All the land in that county is a part of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, which has voted to be dry due to the massive alcohol abuse problems among their population. It's one of the worst places in America, here are some stats from Wikipedia:

Did I mention that even though the reservation is supposed to be dry, there is a town of 14 people just across the border in Nebraska that sells 4.9 million cans of beer a year? Yeah.

:stare: I knew life on Reservations was bad, but those numbers are like what I would expect of the worst parts of Zimbabwe. Seriously what the hell is wrong with this country? Although I'll gladly use these stats when ever some libertarian racist shitheel says they don't deserve what little the Feds give them.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 11, 2013

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Hydronium posted:

Did someone say alternate history?

A couple I've liked from alternatehistory.com (no stories or timelines, just the maps):

A full-on worst case scenario dystopian Nazi victory. Pretty unrealistic even by the standards of Nazi victory maps, but I don't think it's intended to be otherwise. The renamed cities are a nice touch.

Successful Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Not a standard topic of AH, and I like that there's a bit of thought into how it might be divided, rather than just annexed fully as an SSR. I don't know enough about Soviet or Afghan history to know how realistic it may be.

And since the images thread is talking about Harry Turtledove, some maps from his Southern Victory series:

The map after the Civil War and beginning of "How Few Remain". The Confederacy gains Kentucky peacefully after their victory, and buys Cuba from Spain, then later Chihuahua and Sonora from Mexico.

After the Great War. The US has a resounding victory, takes a bunch of land back from several Confederate states, gets Kentucky and Sequoya back, and creates a new state of Houston from captured Texas.

During the World War II equivalent. The Confederacy annexes Kentucky and Houston, and a few other bits of land, sending the two countries into war again.

THe problem I always had witht he southern victory seriesis how really screwed the CSA would have been in reality after the civl war. The European powers were already transitioning to other cotton markets, . When sending cotton to the north they'd run up against the tariffs, and the war would definitely not have helped the already outstanding issues between the poor whites and the aristocracy. Not to mention that I don't doubt the north would much care about blacks escaping north any more. (As long as they kept to the "proper" places).

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

John Nance Garner posted:

First ballot at the 1920 Republican Nominating Convention:

And the 10th ballot, after shifts, which officially nominated one Warren Gamaliel Harding, for President:

Now I know the guy was a cold hearted imperialist, but at the smae time I can't help but think this country would be better if Wood had won.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

khwarezm posted:

Its worth mentioning that some of the Anatolian coast had Greek majorities into the 20th century.

Luckily for Turkey 1914-1923 saw their Greek and Armenian problem disappear for some reason, still have to sort out the Kurds though!

Here's a more detailed map from the period with unfortunate wording from said period (Mohammedans :negative:):

Makes one wonder what happened to all the Turks living in Northern Greece. Its almost as though the entire Balkans and Anatolia consists of nations with lots of blood on their hands. Seriously what happened in 1920 was the culmination of 100 years of violence by the various nations.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

esquilax posted:

There was mutual ethnic cleansing as part of the Treaty of Lausanne. While ethnic cleansing might have a gotten a bad name in the latter half in the 20th century, the architect of the deal actually won the Nobel Peace Prize for the plan.

Yeah, it wasn't just that. Over a million Muslim Europeans got displaced permanently in the war of 1878. Not to mention the thousands displaced in the Greek War of Independence. Then we have the expulsions fallowing the Balkans wars.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

khwarezm posted:

Except the ethnic cleansing in the 20s involved three times more people on the Turkish side, not to mention Turkey's policies against Armenians and Assyrians. Not trying to justify anything the Greeks did but I don't think all sides are equal.

also: tables.

And more than a million Muslims got forced out o Bulgaria in 1878. Wow its like how I said that the Balkans consisted of a bunch of nations willing to do anything to keep themselves linguistically and religiously pure. Really if your going to go at the turks why not go at all of them for being horrible? Also while I think turkey should apologize for the genocide against the Armenians. However the situation of the Greeks it has no reason to. Speaking of the Armenians.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

khwarezm posted:

I'm having trouble finding figures as high as a million people for the 1878 expulsions and, wow, its almost like it was chiefly carried out by Bulgarians and Russians rather than Greeks or Armenians which was the original topic of discussion!

Good grief, why? Keep in mind that I think Greece should apologize just as much for expelling people who had lived within its borders for centuries mostly peacefully.

Well when the Greeks do, the Turks should as well.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 18, 2014

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Really because the jews were not originally from Spain, their expulsion was totally justified.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Emanuel Collective posted:

you call that Greater Turkey?

Didn't some young turks think that should be the goal after the first world war?

Speaking of the Balkans, here is a great way to piss off Turks abit and Greeks alot.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

OddObserver posted:

Do Bulgarians(?) use "White Sea" for the Aegean Sea?

Serbs, and Bulgarians do call it that.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Wow, say what you will but the Slovaks are shooting way farther than any of those other states.

That was created by a hungarian I believe.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

Armenia according to the Treaty of Sevres (1920)

I wonder what would have happened to the rest of the populations (which constituted the majority that wasn't Armenian.)

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

If those borders were actually enforced I bet it would have ended up as part of Russia, possibly repartitioned into an Armenia slightly bigger than actually existed, and a rump Turkish province.

Yes and Stalin was just great to minorities wasn't he? Also lets look at the treaty of Sevres in detail.

Just look at how many people are put under a foreign power, or forced to be with people who had a history of ethnically cleansing them. It was such a great treaty based on ensuring peace wasn't it?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

:confused:

I said nothing about the treaty being good? Although, as an Armenian myself, anecdotally I can tell you that Armenians are a whole lot more positive about Russia than they are the Turks, and from what I hear Armenia is about the most pro-Russian country in the former USSR. Stalin apparently was comparatively good to them and is almost as popular there as he is in Russia itself.

I wasn't saying he wouldn't treat the Armenians well, I was talking about everyone else who would have been affected in a enforced treaty of Sevres.

khwarezm posted:

Population numbers on the ethnic breakdown of the Ottoman empire right before world war 1 is a... controversial issue. Some people think that the Ottoman's under-counted non Turks and several French and British ethnographers and geographers complained about this. The Armenian Patriarchate also had very different numbers from the Turkish government, but they were probably based on shakier foundations than Istanbul's.
Your right, and even with the Patriarchates numbers the Treaty of Sevres's awards to Armenia shows that they were being a awarded a place that looks alot like certain parts of the Balkans in the 1870s.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 28, 2014

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

"To drill down further, here’s a map of the most distinctly popular Best Picture winner in each state. This was calculated by looking at the Oscar favorite that’s the most popular in each state as compared with its level of popularity across the entire country." Source

Chicago? That movie is probably the most lightweight film to have won best picture.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

mcustic posted:

Minnesota and Wisconsin? I had no idea. But Crash is still a bad movie.

I really do not now where the love of Crash is coming in my state. I know no one who likes that mediocre movie about racism being bad.

steinrokkan posted:

Metal is the price paid for being wealthy.

I believe you mean the main perk.

Dusseldorf posted:

Well besides the fact that it founded the progressive movement. Given it recently went Tea Party crazy it's pretty much the only state that actually put up a fight.

Hey Minnesota not only beat back the tea party (DFL Both houses and the Governors Mansion) and we got 9.50 Minimum wage.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 9, 2014

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

:ohdear: We're not allowed to leech images, right? or is it okay if it's Wikipedia?

As to the actual contents of the map, I want it to take into account the competition too, as well as the four way tie which surely should not count as a full win. Maybe one point per number of contestants in the year the country won, and a quarter of that to each of the four way tie "winners". Eurovision is serious business.

Yeah its Wikipedia. Also I really am surprised that none of the former Warsaw Pact has won ever.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

cafel posted:

In a PM I had with Xylo a while back he said he'd let it go if other mods (at the time he wasn't an admin) didn't think it was a violation of the rule on hotlinking, but that he found it distasteful because Wikipedia is a non-profit that relies on donations.

Okay I'll remove it, sorry about this.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

IIRC it was a fight over the legality of private Catholic schools and Jesuit colleges. Protestants wanted them made illegal and replaced with public schools which would teach the correct biblical religion as opposed to the evil papist Catholicism

edit: here you go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Catholicism_in_the_United_States#Parochial_schools_under_attack

Lets be honest, those amendments may have been founded in bigotry, but they really would be helpful now.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

They really wouldn't since they're specifically about schools.

Also 38 states currently have the laws on the books and it hasn't changed much.

I'm thinking about Louisiana and its school system right now. Seriously we could stop one part of the charter school movement fraud that way.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A map wherein the negative influence of the Swedes becomes apparent. Scania has completely fallen to authoritarianism, while freedom only persists in the parts of Norway most heavily influenced by Denmark. In Finland too, the Swedes have destroyed the traditional family in favor of German-style authoritarianism.

Are you saying the Welsh aren't known for having darker hair and eyes on average than their English neighbors? Perhaps the lack of perceived Mediterranean character is down to centuries of subjugation by the Nordic English? Tom Jones might be a good example of how the Welsh would act, were they allowed to unleash all their natural instincts upon the world, unencumbered by Nordic stoicism.

:psyduck: How does one even come to these definitions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

I guess Mormons aren't Christians

Well their not Chaldeans.