Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

At my job I see gold coins and even 2 dollar bills on a semi-regular basis. Susan B Anthony even makes her way into registers every once in a while.

Where do you work? It's been a while since I've seen any of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
This is why you post pics, not links to twitter. Map's gone. :argh:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Cell phone bands are political, right?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

I got curious about what someone from Connecticut is actually called, which led me down a path to finding this map:

See page 24 of this pdf for an alternative: Montana v. Wyoming.

Justice Scalia posted:

The Court interprets the Yellowstone River Compact (Compact), see Act of Oct. 30,1951, ch. 629, 65 Stat. 663, to grant those Wyomans* the right to increase their consumption so long as they do not increase the volume of water they diverted beyond pre-1950 levels.

Scalia's footnote posted:

*The dictionary-approved term is “Wyomingite,” which is also the name of a type of lava, see Webster’s New International Dictionary 2961 (2d ed. 1957). I believe the people of Wyoming deserve better.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Kamrat posted:

Relevant to the current discussion:

127 V? What the gently caress, Mexico?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

MinisterSinister posted:

Apparently according to this map, Chicago is directly in the middle of Indiana.

Considering how often errors like these are made, I'm beginning to think the majority of Americans outside of the Midwest could not find Chicago on an unlabeled map. They'd probably just say it's "somewhere in the middle."

I think Chicago I've always been able to place reliably, but from childhood through to somewhere in my 20s I was honestly never clear on where Detroit was. Michigan was clear from the maps, it's the mitten + UP, but Detroit? Uhhh, [stabs wildly at where Chicago is] there, maybe?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

yikes! posted:

what's the difference between Roman slaves in the mines and slaves in the americas? I realize that Roman house slaves had it "better" but don't quite understand how the mining slaves did.

My first thought is simply: Slavery in a Roman mine is a death sentence. Slavery in the USA became an ongoing race-based caste system, with multiple generations of enslaved farm workers treated like livestock. Working in a Roman mine, you don't live long enough to have children.

Looking at the Americas, I believe there are some comparisons you can make with Caribbean slave mortality. I don't know a lot, but I remember the comment that on the eve of the Haitian revolution, half the population of Saint-Domingue had been born in Africa.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

More than 95% of the population of Saint-Domingue was enslaved, and the life expectancy for an adult human being working the sugar plantations was less than five years. There is only one way to sustain that, and it's the worst way you can imagine.

That's a higher fraction than I thought. (I remembered about 90%.) But the life expectancy is right in line. :smith:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

galagazombie posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of posters in this thread got into geography/maps because Tolkien made it so no fantasy book since has lacked a bitchin' map at the front talking about "The Death Fields of Gargut" or "The Lost Dragon Empire of Kazantil". I know thats what got me started.

My first exposure with Tolkien was having his works read to me, so I can't be sure of the order here, but I enjoyed looking at maps and atlases as a child and really appreciated that part of how Gandalf calls Bilbo to adventure is pointing out "Hey, you love maps and enjoy collecting them, don't you want to go see some of these places?"

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Also, Chad changes color in the inset. It's green on the main map, but on the zoomed view it's blue.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

System Metternich posted:

I once dated a girl from Schleswig-Holstein which makes me basically an expert, don’t tempt me

The username/post combo game would be intense, though.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Squalid posted:

also Kansas City is already not in Kansas. It's actually in Missouri.

Kansas City, Kansas is a real place. Kansas City spans the state border.

It could secede from Kansas and join Missouri, so that there really is only a Kansas City, Missouri.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

To be clear, I don't know poo poo about either Kansas City, except for the fact that there are at least two of them.

edit: I like learning, though!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I always go for the Communi-Bear Silo State, but it is, ironically, a turtle strategy.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Andrast posted:

Where's Ceasar's legion

Tei posted:

Nobody wants West Virginia

Fallout 76, summarized?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Squalid posted:

are there any good books on these crazy fringe early protestant groups? i've heard about those Muenster Anabaptists before and they always sound hilarious

For a book specifically about the Muenster Anabaptists, check out The Tailor King, by Anthony Arthur.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Is Luxembourg not an actual joke?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like the scale of France v the rest of the world here.

Also, like, "What's east of France?" "Germany. Just Germany."

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Gleri posted:

I legitimately don't understand why Americans use voting machines. I have voted in many elections in Canada always with paper ballets and it has always worked. It cannot be hacked. It can be easily checked. I have also been a scrutineer and worked for a major political party observing the counting of ballets. That was fine. It was also relatively quick to count the votes.

Clearly, nobody started out using voting machines, they were I guess introduced at some point. Can anyone explain why voting machines exist? It seems like it's asking for trouble.

Do other major democracies use machines?

My understanding (gained only recently) was that it was a response to the ambiguous paper ballots from the 2000 Presidential election, and the recount of votes in Florida. Rather than switch to easier to determine paper ballots, a lot of places switched away from paper ballots entirely.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Saladman posted:

Are you interpreting this backwards? I think you're the first person I've ever heard of who doesn't like daylight savings time.

I detest differences between solar noon and 12pm.

I usually assume people dislike DST, because I assume the best about people I haven't met.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Eiba posted:

I used to be like this, but then I learned that where I live (eastern Massachusetts), solar noon is never 12pm. It's either 11:30 or 12:30 depending on whether daylight savings is active nor not.

Authenticity is a lie.

Now I just hate the fact that it changes. Pick one and stick with it, I don't care which.

Continuous time zones would solve that problem and introduce many others.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I'm going slightly mad. I remember an image like the excellent Oyropp, but presented more like a travel guide than a page out of a textbook. Distinctly, I remember a comment about how the local food can be quite daunting at first, and spaghetti may make you wish for a pair of scissors, but once you get the hang of it, it's quite nice.

I've spent far too long flipping through old pages of this thread trying to find it and double-checking to make sure it isn't a remark on the Oyropp map. Does anyone else remember this?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

alnilam posted:

When americans call Afghanistan part of the middle east I can never tell if they just have no idea where it is (probably), or are racistly lumping it in with the other muslim countries we bomb (probably), or if they just have a more expansive definition of "middle east" than I do.

I'm convinced that many of my countrymen treat "middle east", "arab", and "muslim" as synonyms. Like:

Muscle Tracer posted:

if I heard an American say "middle east" I would assume they meant everything west of India up to about Egypt/Turkey.
Immediately west of India? Pakistan, known for being a Muslim country and neighbor of Afghanistan. Afghans are Arabs, right? :downs:

BonHair posted:

Eh, it's an understandable interpretation. To me, Middle East means "Muslim majority countries except Indonesia" more or less, with Somalia being excluded because it's barely a country and Israel being included because I'm counting all Palestinians as Israelis.
Bangladesh? (I mean no offense. You just happened to say something just like what I was talking about, and which I didn't see until I was already composing this post in my head.)

Like, I get that words are defined by use and categories are just social convention and so Middle East can include an independent Xinjiang. I'm just an etymology fan and the term "middle east" first made sense to me as more than a vague label when I learned people used to also say "near east". ("Far east" kind of always made sense: It's really far away, and in the east.)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Private Speech posted:

Yeah it's a bit funny, I live in the UK where imperial is a bit more common but being a filthy euro I often have no idea what it means, I usually go with pint = 0.5l (which I understand is different from american pint), pound = 0.5kg, 1 ft = 0.25m, 1 mile = 1.5km, but other than that I have absolutely no idea how much is an inch. Like it's somewhere between uhh centimetre and decimetre?

And stone is like, uhh, somewhere between 10 and 100 kg? I think?

e: Also ounce I have genuinely zero idea, somewhere between 1ml and 1000ml volume I think? As for acre, uh, somewhere betwen 1 sq meter and 100000 square kilometres, that's probably the most inaccurate one. I just know it's used to measure land. Also yard similar thing, except it's smaller, so maybe up to 10 square km or so?

1 ft is 0.3m. 1 inch is 2.5cm. Ounces are a goddamn nightmare. (It's like 30 ml but there are like five different units named 'ounce'.)

Yards are meters.

Acres are apparently 4000 sq meters.

I think a stone is around 6 or 7 kg?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

We just need to finish ratifying the Congressional Apportionment Amendment. We're over ten million people now, so that problem's fixed.

edit: Actually, I just read this page, arguing that Madison intended a continually-shifting district population size. There's even a little calculator! If we followed this rule, and had a population of 351 M, we would have 1776 Representatives. 1776. Maybe that's enough to make people go for it.

Powered Descent posted:

Split every state's delegation into seven different Congresses, one for each day of the week. So the Thursday Congress, for example, only meets on Thursdays. And more importantly, any laws they pass are only in effect on Thursdays.

If you don't like the law, wait a day.
But also, do this.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 28, 2021

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

https://twitter.com/Oregonian/status/1395019418065833985

California will not stand for this absconding of her rightful clay! :mad: :ca:

How many people live in those counties? How much would it shift the populations of Idaho, Oregon, and California? I mean, California would barely notice, but while the bulk of Oregon's population would stay in Oregon, Medford's not exactly tiny. Would Greater Idaho still have fewer people than Oregon, or more?

Probably a better idea than trying to make a modern State of Jefferson, all told.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Is there a crying grenade emote? This is the most SA post I've ever seen.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Kind of odd recommendation, but: I'm a big fan of Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars). It's not a fictional place (it's Mars), but the landscape and the way the characters interact with it is a major part of the story. Also, the way the landscape changes over time (Mars isn't normally green or blue) is a big deal.

Map tax:

I guess it's a bit more environmentally / ecologically driven than just landscape driven, is what I'm trying to say.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

counterpoint:

Needs Texas. Probably bigger than the whole USA, as a backdrop.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I still want the southeast portion to read

CHINESE
OCCUPIED
CHINA

They have a pattern and they should stick to it!

edit: wait I just noticed the PRC placement. :psyduck:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I have never seen this word before and am intrigued. Wikipedia offers:

Wikipedia posted:

Anthroposophy is a philosophy founded in the early 20th century by the esotericist Rudolf Steiner[1] that postulates the existence of an objective, intellectually comprehensible spiritual world, accessible to human experience. Followers of anthroposophy aim to engage in spiritual discovery through a mode of thought independent of sensory experience.[2][3] They also aim to present their ideas in a manner verifiable by rational discourse and in studying the spiritual world seek comparable precision and clarity to that obtained by scientists investigating the physical world.
Which sounds ... you know, interesting to read about and not to believe in.

What does that actually amount to in terms of a political position, though?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

That's the way they describe themselves to outsiders, in reality they are just a cult that most prominently poses as a "reasonable alternative" to conventional education through the Walsdorf school network, while the insiders are nefarious, creepy motherfuckers.

There was recently an article about their cultish behavior, reflected in their disregard for human life when their religious doctrine commands to endanger it, and how it relates to COVID in Spiegel: https://www.spiegel.de/kultur/waldorfschule-und-impfgegner-in-steiners-sekte-a-8242889d-190f-479f-bf6d-a22ccab54013

Huh. Fascinating. Thanks.

I guess it's the difference between "You should be able to rationally investigate the spiritual world" and "The spiritual world is real and this is what it is like." (This is what I get for only reading the first paragraph of a Wikipedia page.)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Ohio just being regular Ohio feels especially disconcerting. There's no greater parody than itself?

Oh my god. I didn't even notice Ohio.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Grape posted:

I'm thinking this is somewhat "poorwhitepeople.jpg

I'm not seeing the Cretaceous shoreline, so you're probably right.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Am I misremembering but wasn't Washington called "The American Cincinnatus" because he could've made himself more powerful than any king but didn't?

Yeah. I always say that the city of Cincinnati is named in honor George Washington.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

It's actually named Cincinnati as it was named by members of the Society of Cincinnatus

Yeah. I knew that part, but (after looking through the Wikipedia page) was overstating the role of Washington in the formation and naming of the Society of the Cincinnati.

Thanks for prompting me to check.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Hi this is loving insane and also I finally understand why Morocco has been occupying Western Sahara which I previously though was just an empty bit of desert.

:same:

I mean, 70%‽ Is there just a ... I don't know, a giant field, a hundred meters deep, of pure phosphate?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The little piece of Kentucky mentioned is fully disconnected.

I did not actually say "What the gently caress." out loud when I parsed the map, but the emotion was there.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

To me, the really weird part is that the Rocky Mountain locust disappeared with hardly a trace 30 years longer. The last live one was seen in 1902. At least with passenger pigeons it was obvious what was killing them.

The introduction of the steel plow is what I've heard offered as an explanation. Was able to overturn and disrupt more soil, tough soils that had never been plowed, and so destroyed the habitat used for egg laying and hatching.

Also, I had no idea what "Albert's Swarm" was at first and thought it was something from a sci-fi novel before I saw the dates on the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

sweek0 posted:

Are there places that don’t allow expats/emigrants to vote in national elections? I’ve not seen that before.

My assumption is that the United States of America doesn't, because it technically doesn't have national elections. (The presidential election being actually a collection of 51 separate elections. 51, right?) I'm not sure how it works in detail. I imagine that if you maintain residence in a State, you can vote there, but that may require living there half the year... If you just live in Costa Rica as a retiree and haven't been back to the States in years, I assume you don't get to vote.

(Phoneposting or I'd find sources to back this up.)