Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Is Turkey part of China there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Uhh, what exactly is the point of that map?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Oh. I figured they were trying to insult blue states somehow.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

how the hell did the mapmaker forget to put the new location of versailles?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i had no idea what a wax bottle was until just now and i still don't quite get it

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i want to improve my knowledge of geography. are there any good apps for doing so? i’m thinking something game-based, not encyclopedic. maybe something of a combination could work? i don’t know.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

having governors island be the city center is a shame. it’s one of the few calm places in nyc.

furthermore, not sure why the fantasy cartographer was so eager to render the current ferry system useless by adding so much land. not a fan. they’re actually quicker in many cases and obviously provide fun views. also cheap.

this map’s a great way to worsen the city, and i haven’t even mentioned replacing old school brooklynites with englishmen. ooof.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 27, 2023

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think what they meant is that East Germany hasn't been fully integrated, but what they're saying is that they're gonna retake old Prussian territories.

combine the text with, and this is key, the arrows and their direction and germany's 20th century history.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

can you actually grow anything where iowa, kansas, and oklahoma are on that map? always thought it was just uneventful, bland desert.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is this telling me where most remote workers live or where their employers are? guessing the latter, but want to make sure.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

curious how each country of the uk rates.

also curious how each state of the us rates.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There's still a community in North Carolina that speaks an English dialect called "Hoi Toider" and has managed to keep the same accent and vocabulary as the original settlers in the 1600's.

They live about 10 miles from people who speak in a normal South Carolina drawl, but it is on an island, so they have been able to keep clustered together enough to keep the accent going. The other people in the area have difficulty understanding them. It sounds like a really strong northern Irish accent mixed with a New England accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7MvtQp2-UA&t=19s

i am from this area, specifically harkers island. i would spend my summers in ocracoke.

first off, i think you meant north carolina drawl. and second, if you head to beaufort or morehead, about 20 miles west per car, it's pretty standard nc. my grandparents who spoke it deep were hard to understand for mainlanders. my mom is quite bad too, but she is self aware enough to lighten it when needed. i had it when i was a kid but decided to get rid of it as it was pretty embarrassing in the school i attended, which was in morehead. to this day i still think with it and have to de-accent it before it comes out, which gives me a weird, stilted way of speaking as is.

and yes, it has its own vocabulary too. mommicked, dingbatter, pizer, tons of other words and phrases. my mom wrote a cookbook about it all. i can post pictures of the 'dictionary' she compiled. pretty sure there are shakespearean roots in a lot of it.

also, all the communities had their own accent. my harkers islander dialect was different than o'cocker, which was different than sea level's, which was different than bettie's, which was different than smyna's, which was different than...

it's pretty nuts, and it has died out quite a bit. fwiw, my ancestors were from wales (allegedly). i know most of the families around there trace back to england, mostly around the london area, but obviously that's all murky.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 16, 2023

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Yes, I meant North Carolina and not South Carolina!

Thanks for the great post. If you have pics of the cookbook/dictionary, I think that would be awesome to see. Do you know of any videos comparing the different island dialects? Google mostly just brings up the hoi toider and I would be interested in hearing how different the accents from people the next island over are from each other.

alright, so first off, she wrote this in 1985 or something. a lot of these phrases are pretty normal now, but given how isolated and disconnected the area was, these words and phrases seemed unique to us. secondly, turns out most of this is trying to phoneticize the accent, at least the harkers island one. it's...sort of there. i don't know how to explain it, but i hear them in my head. it's very, very sing-songy. also remember that it's very slurred and whenever we can 'combine'/contractionize multiple words together, we do. for example. i genuinely don't think anyone from there has ever pronounced the word 'are' like it should be. it's always part of the word before it.

it's kind of a mess. this gets about 75% of the way there, but it needs to be heard to really get it.

i'll try to find some videos. there aren't going to be many given how few people speak it now and there were no video recorders back then.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

ch as tj is wild too.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

BonHair posted:

Oceania is a gently caress. I don't know or care enough about the various small, unimportant island nations apparently. Vanuatu and Tuvalu is the same place.

at least for me, throw in the lesser antilles too. i know generally which islands are north and which are south, and barbados and trinidad and tobago are obvious, but i cannot remember the exact locations of the others for the life of me.

greater antilles, no sweat.

just cannot register small islands that all effectively look the same from a map.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 19, 2023

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

iceland felt quite western when i was there but geez.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

that map is a goddamn mess, holy hell.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the rise of the suv sucks so much. i've been looking for a new or used station wagon for a bit now and it's basically gone extinct. so much better than a goddamn suv or truck.

we americans are really bad at cars despite being totally in love with them. the only benefit is i know the odds of anyone with a huge truck being completely awful is near 100%.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Mister Olympus posted:

new yorkers are united in thinking new york is the most unique and special place in the whole world and talking up the stuff they have that every other metropolis also has

yea, this has been happening for decades now, but it really accelerated during the pandemic.

back when i moved there in 02, each place you went had way more character, therefore each neighborhood had way more character, therefore each borough had way more character, therefore the entire place had way more character. most things felt individual. noncorporate, at the very least. but, at the same time, you still knew it wasn't the nyc of old. you knew it had gotten a little less nycish or whatever. locals, old and young, complained about how things were different and blah blah blah. a story as old as time. but it was still decent and you had a good chance of running into something fun and unique every night.

but over the 2 decades i was there a lot of the characterful places i knew got priced out or unloved because everyone who moved in wanted something more convenient and/or familiar to them. a lot of the fun bars died because of rent. venues and galleries mostly migrated from manhattan to brooklyn. hell, manhattan is basically 50% walgreens/rite-aid and/or a chase bank. pretty much all the new restaurants were in no way local or unique to the area. they're all designed by ohio state mba who'd fallen in love with edison lights, the same awful wooden bar, the industrial look. food is bland.

basically, everything was trying to get a grade of B. something you couldn't hate, but something you couldn't love, but something that would consistently make money. and god it loving sucked.

then the pandemic happened and pretty much anything worthwhile that had remotely made it through the pre-pandemic erosion got killed. any of the fun bars. the old restaurants...pretty much gone. the artists, the actual artists and musicians who aren't loaded to begin with, got priced out of every borough/town within an hour of the city and all left for somewhere they could even remotely think about doing their art.

and what replaced all that? more loving chase atms and walgreens. oh, and whole foods. and lululemon. sprinkle some tasteless thai or french or mexican brunch places there while you're at it.

all this is to say you are 100% right, and whatever nyc-ness made nyc nyc is gone and it is basically just an immensely expensive, more annoying, funless generic place. basically, dallas.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 1, 2023

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

no data for taiwan?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i thought this was the smartest thread on the forums and then you all just sprang out with crazy ways to eat pizza and...i don't know.

it's very easy to eat a slice! neither fork nor knife should be involved, unless you're doing chicago deep dish. and even then it gets kind of handsy at points.

like, i cannot imagine eating a domino's slice with a fork and knife. no way, no how. you'd be rightfully crucified in ny for doing so with a standard ny slice. or even a huge one, like from koronet.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 18, 2023

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Snowy posted:

:eyepop:

The one on broadway/110? Kinda shocked to see that mentioned here, I lived by that place for a couple decades. Used to love playing Bad Dudes there

yep. was a mainstay for me for a while. loved it.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Japan puts corn, mayo, cabbage, and pickles on pizza.

No matter how bad your local pizza scene is, the rest of the world can unite in declaring them the worst local pizza variety.

https://x.com/melonconsumer/status/1522416742965952515?s=20

love all four of those things individually but good god that as a combination, on a pizza no less. there's some other post that showcases like 10 different just-as-sickening combinations from the island as well. there's no end to their madness.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 20, 2023

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Foisting Pizza Hut gimmick pizza as Taiwan's "Pizza Culture" seems unfair, but this is a strong contender for worst pizza I've ever seen.

i've been told non-fast food pizza in taiwan is pretty dire, so...i'm not sure there're any positives to note about their pizza culture. happy to be wrong. there might be some decent stuff down in tainan where the best food is.

that said, if you're in taiwan, why the gently caress would you go for pizza?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

why is data on fl unavailable?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i was in ft myers once and went to a gator farm/putt putt course. for whatever reason, when the gators get to a certain size, they then transport them to lousiana. i wonder if that's true of most gator farms in fl? if so, i feel like that map may need to be adjusted for immigration?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

northern california might technically have some desert but it's like 3% of the area, tops. i would guess most think northern california is like the redwoods and eureka to the west, yreka, weed, and redding in the center, and like lassen, tahoe, and truckee to the east?

as we all know, it should be jefferson, regardless.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 3, 2023

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

that makes some sense to me. tahoe, lone pine, and bishop and all those places east are far more nevadan than californian.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

speaking of games and maps, i'm guessing a decent amount of people in this thread have played diplomacy. do any of the web version have good communities? any other similar games? always had fun playing that with some old college friends, and wouldn't mind going at it again.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i would’ve guessed italians are the biggest foreign presence of at least one european nation, wow.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i get wanting to build a barrier between yourselves and russia, but shouldn't the barrier at least pretend to block transit? that 'barrier' seems...pretty easy to overcome.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

ahhh, alright. yea, that one i get. looks more effective than trump's, at least.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

outside of el paso, terlingua, and basically any other town on the mx-tx border, west tx/sw tx really isn't all that southwestern? nothing like az or nm really. but i definitely would not call west tx 'the south' so...not sure what to do with it.

also, i disagree with the ca/sw area. that can gently caress right off. i agree the los angeles area is its own kind of hellhole and needs its own region, but it's not southwestern. don't try to make it better by saying there's some southwest in there.

but yea, that's pretty drat good.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 28, 2023

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

San Diego is in the Southwest but Los Angeles isn't.

exactly this.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i would say, ‘what did you two think…’ just to be quick and explicit.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Saladman posted:

Never heard someone say youse, but I’d understand it at least. Never in my entire life even heard of "yinz" as a thing and would not understand that.

it is explicitly a pittsburgh-area thing. great town, but there's some weird stuff in the water.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Let’s just sorten things out. All the counties where « hispanic » is the second-most populous is where germans moved. The white second-most parts were stolen from Mexico or happen to be along that there Cretaceous coastline. And the black second-most parts are the primary areas where statues and flags need to get gone. USA germanicity in a nutshell.

wait, what's going on in the middle of wisconsin? i didn't realize there was a sizable asian population there?

eastern washington too? looks like spokane. that makes more sense to me given its proximity to seattle. i know nothig about spokane whatsoever.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i imagine the swiss are 'relocating' their homeless to one of their neighbors?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

In a slightly morbid way I can see it, you especially don't want to be homeless when it's -40° out. I would bet that climate is one of the reasons that Americans who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless often end up in states like California.

not so sure about that given the large homeless populations in chicago, nyc, dc, and philadelphia. i'm pretty sure they'd much, much, much prefer the west coast if they could get there somehow.

i think california's homeless mostly comes from within given a) the sheer number of people already there and b) how crazy expensive and inequal it's gotten. even traveling from, say, phoenix or vegas to la would be pretty brutal most times of the year. traveling from, like, raleigh to sacramento would be exponentially harder i'd imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

how do you even use these disease-based dutch swears?

'you're a cancer'? 'i hope you get cancer.'? 'being with you is like having cancer.'?

wild stuff.