Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, and also bonsai kittens.

Otoh, there is the beloved Japanese tradition of the Doge Memu (meme dog).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Phlegmish posted:

If it's supposed to be a map of the current situation, it's at least partly fictional, I'm pretty sure Cornish is effectively extinct.

Cornish exists today in the same way as Irish.

As a ridiculous hobby for bored Englishmen.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Dogs are animals for fascists. Not to say all dog owners are fascists, but e.g. hatred for cats also correlates strongly with misogyny.

Follow me for more precise strike takes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oof. These last two posts, thread is generating controversy today.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Vladimir Lenin allegedly spoke English with a slight Irish lilt as his English tutor when he was in exile was an Irishman.

Also loved cats

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Meanwhile dogs are best known for their association with Adolf Hitler. I think that tells you everything you need to know on the issue.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Alaska is a butt huh... hmm

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

How is Germany still so widely spoken in some states? I don't know why this surprises me, but it does. Is it like, mainly German-speaking Amish/Mennonite communities, or something like that? Or is it just that so many Germans settled there that it's still actually spoken by a sizable amount of people, at least at home?

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I think the only people who still speak German as a first language in North America are Amish/Mennonite/Hutterite communities (maybe some weird Lutheran/Calvinist groups too). Well and German immigrants. But I think it's more that people in NA just don't speak a lot of languages in general. The largest language after English and Spanish in some of those smaller, more rural states would have maybe a few thousand speakers.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

IBroughttheFunk posted:

How is Germany still so widely spoken in some states? I don't know why this surprises me, but it does. Is it like, mainly German-speaking Amish/Mennonite communities, or something like that? Or is it just that so many Germans settled there that it's still actually spoken by a sizable amount of people, at least at home?

50% or more of the (general, not just white) population in large sections of many of those states is of German ancestry. Given that fact, the strange part isn't that German is the third-most spoken language there, it's that it's spoken by only a tiny minority nowadays. I don't know the stats, but I would bet anything that, say, Nebraska, is in the top ten most English-speaking states in the USA.

Anglo-America's wololo assimilation of German immigrants was hugely successful, with a little help from the two World Wars.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Chicken posted:

I think the only people who still speak German as a first language in North America are Amish/Mennonite/Hutterite communities (maybe some weird Lutheran/Calvinist groups too). Well and German immigrants. But I think it's more that people in NA just don't speak a lot of languages in general. The largest language after English and Spanish in some of those smaller, more rural states would have maybe a few thousand speakers.

Most of the Amish and Mennonites don't even really speak German anymore.

It's technically a different language called "Pennsylvania Dutch" now.

Most Pennsylvania Dutch can't actually understand traditional German or Swiss German.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/society/german-dialects-in-the-us_-i-recognise-every-word-but-i-have-no-idea-what-you-re-saying/43491608

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

^^^ i think most us-german dialects are descended plattdeutsch as opposed to hochdeutsch but im not sure ^^^

also iirc there used to be a fairly big community of german-speakers in texas of all places

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I don't know the stats, but I would bet anything that, say, Nebraska, is in the top ten most English-speaking states in the USA.

Alright, it's not in the top ten, but at 11.6% it's still pretty low, and nearly all of that is Spanish. I found this really interesting overview here:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/312940/share-of-us-population-speaking-a-language-other-than-english-at-home-by-state/

Unsurprisingly, California has the highest percentage of residents speaking a language other than English at home, at an incredible 43.9%. Equally unsurprisingly, West Virginia is the most English-speaking state in the union, with only 2.3%.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

^^^ i think most us-german dialects are descended plattdeutsch as opposed to hochdeutsch but im not sure ^^^

also iirc there used to be a fairly big community of german-speakers in texas of all places

texas and wisconsin where a lot of the exiles from the failure of 48 ended up, which is why both have a pretty strong beer tradition

Chicken posted:

most of those communities are in pa and ohio and are drowned out demographically (for the purpose of the map) for immigrant groups, which is really what its telling us (where the non spanish speaking immigrants end up)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There are Amish communities, but not a whole lot.

There's a very big history of German immigration into the US going well into the 50s, which I would think most of the later generation communities wouldn't keep the language of their parents alive, but there's probably plenty of first generation immigrants still around. Much like the Poles in Illinois.

I think something else working for German visibility on the map is the fact that a lot of these places have fairly small populations, and Germans seem kinda unique in having a weird enthusiasm for delving deep into a lot of the emptier states.

An alternate explanation:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Do any of the Americans itt know anyone who speaks German as an ancestral language? I certainly don't and I grew up close to a pretty large concentration of German Americans (central Texas).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Carthag Tuek posted:

germans moved in everywhere there was free land for white folks, idk why Texas is special in that regard. Neu Braunfels and her beloved Schlitterbahn would like a word.

however, from my experience nobody in those places uses german day-to-day. I suspect it's less daily-driver language and more that you need to take x many foreign language credits in US school. Almost everyone picks spanish, however, if you're a badass edgelord you get some choice of french, german, italian, or latin depending on your district. In very rare cases mandarin, portuguese, or japanese.

I suspect what we're seeing isn't people spreching the deutsch, it's people who took German 1-4 in high school and speak english.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Do any of the Americans itt know anyone who speaks German as an ancestral language? I certainly don't and I grew up close to a pretty large concentration of German Americans (central Texas).

ive had friends who have talked about having great-grandparents who only knew german but thats the extent of it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Like 50 million Americans are of German descent. A lot of people kept it on the downlow following the War though so there's probably a lot of people who have German grandparents or great grandparents and have no idea.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
There's evidence that the dissolution of German-American identity, particularly German-American organizations and German-language newspapers, was key to the passage of prohibition.

quote:

We measure German-American civil society and organizational strength across time and geography based on historical club directories, newspaper directories and petitioning activity. Comparing votes in the House of Representatives on two near-identical proposals for constitutional amendments—the defeat of the Hobson Prohibition Amendment in 1914 and the successful passage of the eventual Eighteenth Amendment in 1917—we find suppression mattered most in districts located at the middle of the German-American population distribution, where we hypothesize representatives were most persuadable. We estimate that without suppression of German-American organizations the Prohibition Amendment would not have received enough support for passage.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

I had a native born boss whose parents are German immigrants and deliberately raised him bilingual. He speaks their Bavarian dialect though and gets made fun of by non Bavarian Germans.

I'm pretty confident the 3rd most spoken language in WV is Chinese now. Fun language anecdote: many of the Chinese restaurants in WV have kitchen staff from El Salvador and Guatemala leading to signage for employees being in Spanish and Simplified Chinese and a great deal of their communication being on their phones using translator software.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yeah it's the same in San Diego. Almost every restaurant has Latin American kitchen staff (primarily Mexicans because it's San Diego) no matter what cuisine they serve.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

My Great-Grandparents supposedly did.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

germans moved in everywhere there was free land for white folks, idk why Texas is special in that regard. Neu Braunfels and her beloved Schlitterbahn would like a word.

i guess its not, its just from a northern european perspective, a lot of people you hear about ended up in canada, new england, upper midwest type places, late 1800s early 1900s. i guess i assumed texan germans were some internal second wave who moved there from elsewhere in the americas?

also i dont really count pre say 1850 migrations as anything but literally verbatim "having ancestry" cause probably not even your great grandparents spoke the language anymore and likely you have as much ancestry from 5 other nations so

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 5, 2024

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

This is likely dying out now that fifteen years has passed, but when I last lived in rural central Texas, there were definitely still old folks who’s first language was either Czech or German - my Grandfather and great Aunt both were bilingual Czech-English, and in some really small towns you could still find Lutheran churches with services in the old language.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Texas german does have a whole wiki

And far as I know it’s legit, not like the scots wiki

https://pdc.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas-Deitsch
https://pdc.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyonc%E9
https://pdc.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deitschland

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Koramei posted:

This doesn’t seem right (tbf the methodology looks like they were never trying to be especially accurate), i feel like Korea and Japan are flipped here. Cats are getting more popular but Korea definitely favors dogs, a lot, and my casual impression is Japan is into cats.

Calling this "methodology" is an insult to the concept of methods.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The chart, in the upper right, explains in much larger text they're just comparing hashtags. Yeah its dumb, but so is the whole notion of the chart. They're not claiming to map pet-ownership or anything actually quantitative.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Like 50 million Americans are of German descent. A lot of people kept it on the downlow following the War though so there's probably a lot of people who have German grandparents or great grandparents and have no idea.

This is a little misleading because most European immigration to the US was enough generations ago that relatively few European-Americans are still of a single ancestry.

The 2020 census had the number of people identifying only as German at 15M. The number of people identifying as German and any other group was 45M.

So, yes, nearly 50M Americans have *some* German ancestry, but they are more likely to be mixed than not.

The largest European group in the US, unsurprisingly, is English.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anglos are just Island Germans.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Let’s just sorten things out. All the counties where « hispanic » is the second-most populous is where germans moved. The white second-most parts were stolen from Mexico or happen to be along that there Cretaceous coastline. And the black second-most parts are the primary areas where statues and flags need to get gone. USA germanicity in a nutshell.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Some, especially larger, immigrant communities do have a history of inbreeding though, which would make a German speaking minority feasible. I'm pretty sure the Swedish and Norwegian Americans held on to their ancestral language for a lot longer than their Danish contemporaries, both because they were more numerous and because they were less likeable.
You see the same basic thing with third generation Turks in Denmark and presumably Germany today learning Turkish.
Of course, at some point, the kids stop using it actively and it stops getting passed down. This is basically what integration or assimilation is.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Big difference is in the US those people eventually become citizens (and their kids always do) so they have fewer barriers to assimilating

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Let’s just sorten things out. All the counties where « hispanic » is the second-most populous is where germans moved. The white second-most parts were stolen from Mexico or happen to be along that there Cretaceous coastline. And the black second-most parts are the primary areas where statues and flags need to get gone. USA germanicity in a nutshell.

wait, what's going on in the middle of wisconsin? i didn't realize there was a sizable asian population there?

eastern washington too? looks like spokane. that makes more sense to me given its proximity to seattle. i know nothig about spokane whatsoever.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

abelwingnut posted:

wait, what's going on in the middle of wisconsin? i didn't realize there was a sizable asian population there?

eastern washington too? looks like spokane. that makes more sense to me given its proximity to seattle. i know nothig about spokane whatsoever.

Spokane is the green one just to the north of the red. Red is Whitman county, where WSU is.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

for the midwest its usually refugees who get planted there. dunno about spokane

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

Big difference is in the US those people eventually become citizens (and their kids always do) so they have fewer barriers to assimilating

Yeah, that is a difference, but you still get weird isolationists occasionally. Also, and this is more relevant to USA today, entirely American citizens might grow up using mainly Spanish, because that's what everyone around them speak.

For another anecdote, I once worked in the periphery of a research project on Danish speakers in Argentina from emigration in like 1900 or so. They apparently still speak Danish, but they obviously didn't follow all the changes, so everyone sounded like an old movie because they hadn't updated their pronunciations to current standards. Also they were all bilingual in Spanish, except outsiders who joined the community through marriage who only spoke Spanish. I also got the impression that they really valued their heritage and put a lot of effort into keeping it alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Family Values posted:

There just isn't a need for a 2nd person plural pronoun. You're either having a one on one conversation, or addressing a group and 'you' applies to the entire group, or you're addressing an individual within a group, in which case you must've specified that individual by name in the previous sentence and context indicates that 'you' means that particular individual.

If you don't believe me, consider that in places where 'y'all' is common you probably use 'y'all' to address individuals!

During the period of about 1800-1950, Sweden kind of did away with most forms of 2nd person pronouns in polite speech because everyone got too into titles. Linguists call this the Swedish title mania. I wrote a post about it a year ago in the historical fun facts thread, I'll just copy it here.

Offler posted:

The Swedish title mania from about 1800-1940

The Swedish language, like many others, has a formal and an informal way to say "you" where one word - "du" is singular and informal and the other word - "ni" is both plural and/or formal if used for one person, just like "usted" in Spanish or "vouz" in French. Unlike most other languages though, using the formal "ni" to address one person is rarely used in modern Swedish.

In fact, if anyone other than a hotel employee or something addresses me with "ni" it feels more like I'm being mocked than anything else. To attempt to put it into perspective in English - If a work mate asks me "Vill ni har mer kaffe?" (Would you like more coffee) it feels kind of like they are saying "Would his lordship like more coffee?" or something.

The reason for this is that Sweden went through a very rapid and very successful language reform in the 60s/70s where "du" became appropriate in basically every setting. For anyone familiar with how much Swedes like to complain about language change, the fact that this reform was as successful and thorough as it was probably seems a bit strange.

The main reason there wasn't more pushback against everyone becoming "du" with each other is that back in the 60s/70s, calling someone "ni" had only been the norm for politeness for a few decades, so there weren't really much of an old guard around that had grown up with saying "ni" to every stranger. Before that, the Swedish language went through a strange period of about 150 years when everybody became absolutely obsessed with titles. This period is usually called something like "titelsjukan" which means "title sickness" or "title mania".

As Sweden industrialized and urbanized, the new city-dwelling middle class quickly became obsessed with finding new ways to separate themselves from common farmers or labourers. Many took new last names that sounded like they were based on heraldry - this is why so many Swedish last names are basically just two words smashed together like Forsberg (rapids-mountain) or Lindström (linden-currents). But the most important distinction for this new class soon became obtaining a title. Everybody who held any job more complex than a basic labourer got a title, and so did their wives! From now on, if you spoke to a doctor you could no longer simply ask "Would you like some more coffee?" - you had to instead ask "Would the doctor like some more coffee?" The comment I made earlier about their wives wasn't a joke btw, just about every title also had a female form which meant "wife of a [title]".

Since everyone was obsessed with titles, it soon became a horrible faux pass to address someone by anything but their title. This was taken to a truly silly level where people were saying poo poo like "Vill majorskan att jag tar fram majorskans finaste skor?" (Would the Majoress [wife of a Major] like me to bring out the Majoress' finest shoes?)

This was all very unwieldy, which wasn't helped by the social rule that titles could only be dropped at a social gathering at the suggestion of the holder of the highest title, so unless there was a clear "leader" at a gathering no one dared to be so presumptive as to suggest this. Imagine the scandal of a mere Majoress suggesting this when there is a director of a large bank present! In fact, there were other weird informal rules like that a Majoress of course deserved a title out in the provinces where there weren't as many titled people and the army was seen as a large important part of society, but the mere wife of a Major didn't really deserve a title in Stockholm. So you could inadvertently show your country rear end just by addressing her by a title in the capital, you rube! The wife of a Colonel always deserved a title, of course, as did the Major himself. All very clear and easy to follow.

As you can imagine, this complex never-ending list of social rules meant that people had to develop ways to avoid directly addressing each other until they were sure who they were talking to. This is why Swedish still has some bizarre passive sentences like "Får det lov att bjudas på lite kaffe?" which is very hard to properly translate while keeping all the passivity, my best attempt is something like "Would it be permissible if some coffee was offered?" Asked to no one in particular, of course, wouldn't want to be presumptive!