Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Kurtofan posted:

This one gives me nausea, I feel like I'm upside down.

Peirce Quincuncial, my favorite projection. It's so New World Order it hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Count Roland posted:

haha, wow. Its only been 500+ years, why not? Might as well take Persia too, Alexander had it for a little while.

Sorry, that belongs to Macedonia:

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

icantfindaname posted:

Not a map, but close enough

Is "THE HOLE LEFT BY THE CHRISTIAN DARK AGES" too long for an SA username?

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Yeah, the Uyghurs are a Turkic people and only became part of China relatively recently(early-mid 1800s off the top of my head?). It would probably be a slightly lighter shade too if Xinjiang hadn't been flooded by Han Chinese people as part of government efforts to sinicize the region.

You're thinking of Dzungaria to the south, in the Tarim basin, which was conquered and administratively unified with Xinjiang by the Qing, depopulated by genocide, and then resettled by a handful of different ethnicities including Uyghurs, Hui, and Han. Xinjiang has more or less been "a part of China" for almost 1,900 years since the Han dynasty established a protectorate there. It, like many other parts of China, has passed between a multitude of states since then, of course. This is why the Tang state looked so funky, Xinjiang was connected to the rest of China by a series of forts and roads sandwiched between the northern steppe and Tibet to the south:

The mass immigration to Xinjiang proper by Han chinese on the other hand is a recent phenomenon, starting in the 50's.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

icantfindaname posted:

That's sort of like claiming that because Rome controlled Iraq for a while 1900 years ago that Iraq has always been a rightful part of modern Italy

Haha oh yeah dude, I don't mean to get into any kind of debate about self-determination or anything. But "China" and "Chinese" are extremely fluid descriptors when you're discussing the history of the region. Xinjiang has been sinicized to some degree for a long time, and ruled by many successive dynasties of people who spoke Chinese officially, usually Mongols or Han.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

sinking belle posted:

Malaysia is the least corrupt ASEAN country?! :eyepop:

It's second behind Singapore in GDP per capita and third behind Brunei in HDI, which are strongly correlated with corruption perception.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Looks like the flag of a futuristic fascist version of America.

I'm all for it.

My inspiration was a graphics card, but the NWO aesthetic is also very important, and good, to me

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Donkwich posted:

What's the difference between Russia's oblasts and its republics? I've read the republics have some autonomy, but is that really true?

They do, but their executive independence been steadily eroded since the collapse of the USSR, and especially under Putin, in exchange for subsidies from energy money. He now appoints their Presidents directly, who are then ratified by the legislatures.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

System Metternich posted:

I can offer a map that shows current (at least I hope so, there's no date given) American and Russian bases, at least:

At least 2~ years out of date by the existence of the Manas Air Base.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

That's purestrain George Friedman. I read his site regularly and never fail to be entertained.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

icantfindaname posted:

Does he still think war with Japan is coming?

He's quietly dropped that, but still "analyzes" Japan as well on its way to resuming its imperial geopolitical ambitions. The Neo-Ottoman thing, as you can imagine, gets most of his attention these days

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Pakled posted:

Getting a delivery to anywhere in Alaska before it gets to Northern California is certainly interesting.

has to do with this i'm guessing:

quote:

Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport is also a major cargo hub. As of 2015, it ranked as the fourth busiest airport in the world by cargo traffic, after Hong Kong, Memphis, and Shanghai.

FedEx Express and UPS Airlines operate major hubs at Anchorage International for cargo heading to and from the Far East.[18] NWA Cargo used to operate a major hub at the airport until December 28, 2009 when it closed all operations for Northwest Cargo at all airports. FedEx Express is the airport's largest cargo facility and can handle as many as 13,400 packages per hour, employing more than 1,200 people and providing a full customs clearance system. United Parcel Service's hub handles about 5,000 parcels per hour. Both companies forecast a large growth in traffic over the next several years as trade with China and other Far East countries increases and plan to expand their Anchorage facilities comparatively. The United States Postal Service also operates a large sectional center facility (SCF) for the 995xx ZIP Codes. It processes mail and parcels headed to and from all Alaska cities.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

quote:

Belcurve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!