Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

That's a lot of church-going!

"How often do you attend church?" asked to Danes above age 16
Red: A couple of times per month or more
Grey: Occasionally
Black: Only on certain religious days (ie christmas, easter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

(watermark badly removed by yours truly)

Caption: A Norwegian reader ascertains that "the Scandinavian peninsula comprises Norway and Sweden, while the Danes are - and have always been - contintental, even if they basically do not like being compared to their brothers in the south."

Bo Bojesen (Danish newspaper cartoonist), 1972, http://www.kb.dk/images/billed/2010/okt/billeder/object119639/da/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shbobdb posted:

Someone needs to shop in an awkward beta dude getting friendzoned to the side of the other guy :finland:

I would like this very much

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Darth Various posted:

abunchofmoviesyou'veneverheardof.jpg

They screwed up the Danish movie. The Celebration (Festen) is not The Hunt (Jagten) though they are both excellent and tackle abuse.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Count Roland posted:

I don't know if it will happen in the US but it's been a pet prediction of mine for a decade that cities globally will tend to gain power relative to other scales of government and will form confederations to protect themselves.

I'm the US (and most places) the only reason rural areas have any political power is because national governments want to balance the concentrated power of cities. If the US were to dissolve then the countryside would lose its precious Senate representation; they have no other forms of power aside from resource extraction.

(Yes I'm aware this is a crackpot idea, don't take it too seriously)

Hanseatic League II

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i read a quote from a roman guy whos like "ugh all these women in their transparent silk dresses, how very vulgar"

which isnt the same thing as being a prude, just that they also had very specific thoughts about the body and nudity etc and comparing then/now one-to-one or vice versa is a fools errand

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Benagain posted:

The egyptians were not prudish in the slightest

when i was a lad, i jerked off to a tits out hieroglyph

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FreudianSlippers posted:

In Norway in the 19th to early 20th century an important, but maligned by religious authorities, part of rural courtship was the guy climbing into his beloveds window for some hanky panky a few times before they officially proposed.

And that was the sons and daughters of the rich landowning class. The peasants just hosed as much as they pleased because no one cared.

There was a fine for premarital sex in Denmark (and Norway) until 1813, and if you couldn't pay the fine, you'd go to jail. For extramarital sex, the punishment could include death.

Not that it stopped people, but it definitely was frowned upon

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Civil marriage did come before religious marriage, at least in Scandinavia. The betrothal ceremony was originally considered to be the legally binding part, and having sex after betrothal but before religious marriage was generally okay, and any kids were considered legitimate. The change is status was gradual over centuries.

The maximum duration of betrothal before the religious marriage was limited to two months in Denmark 1783 cause people were super slow about it. There's a Faroese one in my family that's 13 months.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 22, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Epicurius posted:

Out of curiosity, when did the fine for premarital sex start? I'm betting 15th or 16th century at the earliest.

It's actually mentioned a few times in the medieval codes, such as Gutalagen (1220) and Jyske Lov (1241). These codes were kind of a confusing list of quite specific examples, that I believe were examples of prior judgments at the things (assemblies), so-called causistic law based in customary law. I'm unsure exactly how they worked for lejermål (as premarital sex was called) in practice, but it appears to have been more of a civil matter of paying restitution to the family/guardian of the woman, not a fine to the state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_Scandinavian_law

Jyske Lov mentions lejermål all of three times. It specifies that a woman 18 years of age can demand at the thing that their guardian allow them to be married, and if he refuses and she sleeps with a man, she is not to lose her inheritance, but the guardian may sue the man for lejermål at the thing. Also, women can only become pregnant if they enjoyed the sex and then it won't count as rape and also it was not possible to sue for lejermål.

http://ribewiki.dk/da/En_broder_kan_ikke_beholde_en_s%F8ster_ugift_hos_sig,_s%E5_l%E6nge_han_vil
http://ribewiki.dk/da/Hvis_en_kvinde_bliver_voldtaget

Christian V's Danish Law of 1683 is more detailed and lists several types of extenuating and aggravating circumstances, and the fines were now paid to the authorities. There was also the public confession at the local church, which was abolished in 1767.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_Code

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah I think most of those in-law-incest-laws are in the 1683 code.

Any sexual relationship within three generations whether by blood or by marriage were considered blodskam (incest).

W-what are you doing, son of my father's brother's wife's sister?

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 23, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

In some cases, it goes back to the old testament (Leviticus 18:6-18). The three generations of Danish code of 1683 (which goes out to 2nd cousins) was for sure an attempt at generalizing Leviticus. You can marry your 1st cousin now if you want, tho.

The map of when it was outlawed in various states would be more useful it it also showed when they became territories/states.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 23, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

He shoulda jizzed in his brother's wife

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Danish armies were primarily German mercenaries until the mid-late 1700s.

As for cousincest, all marriages required two men swear you weren't related (or married to someone else, etc), or you could get a royal permit to marry your cousin/brother's widow/etc. I don't have any numbers, but it doesn't appear to have been hard to get such a permit (there are several in the registry of royal letters), aside from paying the associated fee.

In 1610, the punishment for blodskam (incest) in the 2nd or 3rd degree (for example a man and his cousin's daughter) was a steep fine plus exile.

I don't see the punishment mentioned in the code of 1683, only that it was illegal.

It became legal to marry 1st and 2nd cousins, as well as your dead wife's sister etc on December 27, 1770 and it was further relaxed on April 3, 1771, in order "to prevent the expense and waste of time of acquiring of permit". However, it was made illegal again on December 14, 1775 due "the king's consideration for the common wellbeing". It lists two categories, one (somewhat closely related) is never allowed, and one (less related) is allowed with a permit. As for punishment, it just says that it will be "hard".

https://www.nb.no/items/URN:NBN:no-nb_digibok_2014050824017?page=221 1770-12-27 (the website is Norwegian, but these laws cover Denmark-Norway)
https://www.nb.no/items/URN:NBN:no-nb_digibok_2014050824017?page=237 1771-04-03
https://www.nb.no/items/URN:NBN:no-nb_digibok_2009100803018?page=143 1775-12-14

The timing here makes in clear that the more permissive laws were made by Struensee, and the restrictive one came after his fall.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 24, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I just like looking up history stuff, plus it helps with my genealogy research to know those things :shrug:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajnal_line

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Grape posted:

Except now Ireland and the Mediterranean are mostly leading with older average pregnancies.

Yeah, that's an interesting shift.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

And no European either, I guess

e: lol yeah, they stayed independent but just happened to use the same borders as the colonizers that apparently never came

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Orange Devil posted:

How did Egypt become Scandinavian?

its not scandinavian, the cross isnt offset towards the pole, but it is a christian cross: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coptic_flag

e: vvv yeah i dont think whoever made this map thought it through vvv

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Zedhe Khoja posted:

It's also a pretty extremely generous interpretation of Hebrew dominated lands at....any point in history really. Also I celebrate sinking Mesopotamia into the Persian gulf. Or is that some psychotic interpretation of Assyrian cultural extent?

no its just a spirally flag with a white background so it looks like water

which turns out to be Dwekh Nawsha, a christian org that was founded in 2014 to oppose isis

so i guess thats why muslims never conquered anything on that map: they were all killed by amazing christians

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ah sorry :doh:

also mostly christian tho, so i stand by my "analysis" of the cartographers motivations

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh definitely yeah, there's no way europe would hold back even if everyone was christian. gently caress sake, there are centuries of european warfare using the tiniest details of christianity to excuse any powerplay you can think of

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Byzantine posted:

Doubtful the crusades would ever happen with the Bishop of Rome under the Empire's thumb where he belongs.

this is typical you

mods, i thought this empire was permabanned?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Byzantine posted:

Which, since the Empire was the only thing holding the barbarians back, led directly to the Franks and Angles carving up Muslim lands in 1920.

when you say barbarians you mean goths right? theyre fuckin weird

both the visis and the ostros. mentalists

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:stonk:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Nice to include Volapük by the Danes, haha

We Danes also use kaudervælsk (and the Germans use kauderwelsch) which has an uncertain origin, but possibly refers to the dialect of Chur in the Swiss canton Graubünden.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cf the Schleswig-Holstein duchies between Denmark and Prussia, which were and are peopled by Germans and Danes in a mix, and indeed "German-minded Danes" and vice versa.

They were originally royal fiefs, but ended up Prussian in 1864. After ww1, there was a referendum, and a border was drawn according to where the percentages were higher, splitting the territories between Germany and Denmark.

But historically it was never a hard border, and some Danish-minded Germans south of the border still send their kids to school in Denmark.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Danish love of beer and sausages betrays their true Germanized nature even if the Insidious Danes sometimes pretend to enjoy proper Nordic akavit/brennevin

i dare you to make a snaps with diapers and prostate milk

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

SlothfulCobra posted:

Denmark's differences from Germany seem like one of those really subtle divides between neighbors that only the people from the area really get.

Or they're different because they've constructed big huge national myths that they all believe about how they're different.

I suppose it's trut hat we are the most "German" people of Scandinavia, but it's a bit much to say that it's subtle. Them's fighting words. I'd rather be compared to a Swede than a German, and that hurts me to say.

there is a key difference: while danes do speak with potatos in our mouths, the germans have broken glass and gravel

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I like being racist against other Scandinavians, it's like being racist against your parents or something. I would say #notalldanes but the majority is actually racist against other people, so... And yeah we definitely have a big helping of Danish Exceptionalism which is p lol when you look at the maps you just posted

to be fair, the tiles by the stairs in the metro stations are themed #wow #whoa

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Latvia does not approve of their shenanigans and has issued a damnatio memoriae

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

shameful

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Just checked and there are about 220 people with Smed as their last name in Sweden. Ive certainly never heard it spoken as a name in my life.

Its no Smith or Schmidth thats for sure!

In fact occupational last names are rare as hell come to think of it. Its more meadows and trees and flowers and valleys etc

Those are actually kind of "occupational", since people with only a patronymic would often take a new surname when they became a journeyman. Probably most of Lindqvist, Bergström, etc can be traced to such hantverkarnamn (craftman's name).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bergström might well be a miller's name.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The intent of the 1828 legislation that shifted Denmark from patronymic bynames to inherited surnames was that we would use the "byname by which people were commonly known", such as a place of origin or characteristic, but the law was so badly written that it accidentally gave almost everyone fossilized patronymics.

Several attempts were made to clarify the law, but it was too little too late. In 1904, a new law gave people the opportunity to select a byname that they could document in their grandparents' generation, or from a list of made up surnames that were not in use. The 1961 law codified the long-standing practice of inherited middle names which have characteristics of both given names and surnames. The current law (2005) lets you pick a surname back to great great grandparents, as well as patronymics and matronymics (including from other cultures).

In 2016, we dipped below 50% of Danes having a -sen surname for the first time, down from about 75–90% in 1900 (urban vs. rural).

Jensen used to be the most common surname, but it was surpassed by Nielsen in 2015 after many years of people changing away from it or not passing it on to their children. Nielsen and the other top -sen names have also been in steady decline for decades. The second graph here has an interesting dip among people aged ~25–35. Many of my friends have used marriage as an excuse to drop the boring -sen name, often using a combination of their middle names as their new surnames:
http://www.dst.dk/Site/Dst/Udgivelser/nyt/GetPdf.aspx?cid=20875

Jehde posted:

What is a military name if not just being occupational?

Swedish military names are like "Snabb" (fast), "Modig" (brave) etc. Danish ones were usually your village and weren't used after your military service.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 23, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

System Metternich posted:

Patronyms are widespread in Germany too, but it's mostly in northern Germany and the Rhineland that the names still carry a genitive -s or a Scandinavian-style -sen, the latter with a strong focus again on the formerly Danish parts of Schleswig-Holstein (probably for the reasons Carthag Tuek mentioned)

Here's a distribution map for the "Hansen" surname in Germany where you can still see the old border between Schleswig and Holstein pretty clearly (that's also the case for many other names like Petersen or Clausen), and here is a Jansen map with a strong concentration along the Rhine, spilling over from the Netherlands

The switch from patronymics to surnames was done in the duchies already in 1771. It was probably a kind of pilot project, but it didn't go further a the time because the man behind it was Struensee & he was overthrown the following year.

It did work slightly better there than in the kingdom proper (in contrast to Germany, the former duchies are the part of Denmark with the fewest patronym-derived surnames).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I feel like there must have been spotted more than 605 crocodiles in Florida

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

midwestern passage?