Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
5000 years of not allowing maps on the Internet

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivzrbp_WR8w

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
It's just called base

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
This is amazing work. As a student of cartography I can say that I’ve seen hundreds of maps like this, and have shown little to no emotion. The maps were just windows to a continent I’ve never lived on, places where I never go or would ever go. But this picture made me stop and evaluate. Pixelating it made me actually look at what is really happening. Putting graphics that everyone is familiar with on a map that no one knows, and to make people feel those emotions well, that takes amazing talent. Thank you

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
"History" is pretty regularly understood to mean "recorded history that we know about," not "the past."

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I thought Belgium was pretty laissez-faire in the Congo

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Tei posted:

I am assuming the center of the planet don't have a constellation of tiny black holes

Our capital is secure in the maw installation

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I did not think at all but I still posted

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Any place that food is prepared, purchased, and eaten is a restaurant.

gently caress, a pop tart is basically a restaurant.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Oh man, wait until you hear what hilljacks and malungeons say about something suspicious.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Haiti is culturally more closely tied to continental Africa, right?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

the great pool center of america saginaw, michigan

My home county is visible! Sevier County, TN, is that dark spot. When I graduated high school Gatlinburg had 2300 residents and I think we get something like 17 million people visiting the national park annually. Motel pools must count

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
There's a new mexico?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Tei posted:

And now I want a gerrimandered map of USA where the states are draw so the GOP win all elections forever.

*Posts a normal USA map*

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Mano posted:

more like a particularly sick and diseased Pacman

Please do not reveal the Wu-Tang secret

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
All the people from Stuart's Town moved into the Smoky Mountains and Blue Ridge Mountains and highland culture is pretty ingrained in the area. It's the same mountains, after all

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I was raised Southern Baptist and can confirm they are racist

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

saintonan posted:

One might even say, 7:1

The longer ago it was the harder it gets to nail a "The Semi-Final Solution" joke.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I guess I never really "got" Asian geography before but this really makes it relatable

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
We do love to volunteer for wars...

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure that he was coming from the left. We pretty consistently use chud to mean rightwing

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I want the to-scale Alaska pan

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

American goulash is great! It's pasta with tomato sauce, stock, ground beef, and spices like onion powder and garlic powder. It's absolute snobbery to say it's gross, it's a combination of only delicious things.

In my region/house it's not tomato sauce - it's tomato juice and the whole thing becomes lovely soup

Possibly my least favorite meal growing up

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Glah posted:

Are there many scenarios where gender distribution would be skewed in population pyramids? I know that at very old age cohorts, there will be more women because statistically they live longer. And then there are wars but even in those cases it would have to be closer to total mobilization situation, like in the world wars. Or things like the War of Triple Alliance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraguayan_War_casualties

That wiki article specifically says those numbers are false, although no citation is given directly. The conversation around it gives modern estimates

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
The areas with fewer people sell more guns? The difference in hunting and sports shooting sense to me

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Like GeoGuessr but with racisms

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
In that case, we all wish Scotland much success

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Count Roland posted:

There's a thread dedicated to bad charts and graphs
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745614&pagenumber=515&perpage=40

(it isn't as good as this thread)

This is one of those mega threads that I keep bookmarked but I'm way behind. I'm only about 6 months away from the beginning of Covid in it and I have high hopes

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Kenning posted:

One of the canonical differences between an empire and a nation-state is the degree to which the language of the ruling elite is imposed as the language of the masses.

[Citation Needed]

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

wakka wakka posted:

I'm not a medical doctor but I'm fairly confident pee is not stored in the "jugs"

Maybe he's Canadian

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Wipfmetz posted:

I think in latin farmer stayed masculine, even if the individual farmer was a woman.

Agricola (farmer), poeta (poet), and nauta (sailor) are the common first declension masculine nouns. First declension is generally feminine nouns and is the ending set we associate that way (-a, ae, ae, am, a, ae, arum, is, as, is).

A small farmer would be "agricola parvus" because the adjective has to agree in gender not declension.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
That's where we get the famous sports nickname "The traveling quickly at present Hawaiian resident"

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Burn. I guess you are a Yankees fan? How is that working out?

Saban retired and Calipari left so most Yankees fans are having it pretty rough

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why the gently caress are foot and root pronounced differently

they don't even start with the same letter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006