Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Crossposting this from the HTPC thread.
Has anyone here tried the "Wireless Xbox 360 Controller for Windows(TM)" with Linux?

I'm using the wired one with xbmcbuntu, and it works perfectly, just plug-and-play. Now, I want to add a second one, so I figured I'd make it a wireless one, and it could act as my main remote in xbmc. However, posts like this one makes it look like the controller can't be manually turned off, save by popping the batteries out.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130491

That would be really annoying to me - ideally I'd want it to power down when I hold down the big middle button ("Guide"), like on an xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Fillerbunny posted:

The second one. There's so much bullshit surrounding decoding BluRays it's just not practical. Get the external player.

This is what I did, and I've never looked back. A BluRay player _just works_. The HTPC, I can stand fiddling a bit with, but playing DVDs and BluRay discs is a solved problem, and the solution is called a cheap, standalone, player.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
You guys asking about hardware advice might find some more great recommendations in the HTPC thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2386006

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Lowen SoDium posted:

Yes, it has Intel HD4000 for video which should be able to do hardware decoding of HD video, but I personally have not had experience with that first hand.

The Intel NUC boxes also use the HD4000, and mine has never had any problem with decoding HD video. In fact, I think it's a bit overkill for that. So, go hog wild, I guess!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Spekkio posted:

I'm trying to install XBMCbuntu on my media centre PC connected to my TV via HDMI.

It looks like the XBMCbuntu install doesn't output a picture on HDMI. Is there any way to make this work or am I going to have to find an old monitor with a VGA input?

XBMCbuntu worked "out of the box" with HDMI for me. What hardware are you running? In particular, what video card?

I assume you've got some way to see the output of the HTPC while troubleshooting? Because otherwise you'd have to solve it "headless" using an SSH login, and I can imagine that would be a bit annoying.

If you do have video, check the "video out" setting in XBMC system settings. If an HDMI monitor (TV,AVR,etc) is connected, it should list HDMI and manufacturer's name as a possible output.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

TraderStav posted:

I just picked up a celeron NUC and put openelec on it. It works great but whenever I switch sources on my hdmi switch it shares I lose the overscan settings. A reboot restores it but is there an easy way to bring them back? Look for wife ease here. I may just resort to powering it down when I'm done but who wants that??

Sounds like a bug in your HDMI switch. That shouldn't happen, and indeed does not with a sensible A/V receiver. Don't know if there's any workaround you could try, other video drivers or whatnot.

On the plus side, it boots (and shuts down) so quickly the wife shouldn't have a problem with that either.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

TraderStav posted:

I have a HDMI->Component convertor and then a 3-1 HDMI Monoprice switch before that.

[Edit: Removed erroneous statement. Nothing to see here.]

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 14, 2014

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Legdiian posted:

Receivers can't convert HDMI to component.

Oh, snap, I Googled this now and you're correct. At least, I've found no receiver that can go digital-to-analog on video. Many do the opposite, however, and though some receivers have component outputs, it seems they will only act as pass-though from the component inputs. :(

Editing my previous post to be less misleading.
[E:sp.]

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 14, 2014

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I'm having a bit of a conundrum with my audio settings. XBMC refuses to output more than 2 channels, it seems.
It apparently started while I was away for a couple of weeks, according to the GF.
I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 on a NUC i3. It's connected by HDMI into my Denon AVR, with 5.1 speakers connected to it.

In the Ubuntu sound settings, I can choose between "HDMI stereo" and "HDMI 5.1 surround", so I guess it's autodetecting my AVR somehow. If I set it to surround, and then do a speaker test, it correctly identifies all 6 channels ("front center" comes out of front center etc). So I've ruled out any cable problems or issues with the receiver. This must be a software issue with XBMC or PulseAudio.

In XBMC's Systems settings, I can set the number of channels from 2.0 up to 7.1. Previously, I had left it on 7.1 because that was recommended (the AVR should downmix to 5.1).

- If I set it to 2.0 or 2.1, XBMC downmixes to stereo, and I get all the audio in my left+right front speakers. Well and good.
- If I set any higher number of channels in the Audio settings, I start losing channels, as if I only had stereo speakers. I.e. in 5.1 I only get music and sound effects, coming out of the front pair. The center is stone dead. XBMC is no longer downmixing (and it shouldn't).

I upgraded to the latest nightly build, because I was previously running an alpha, but the only difference was that the "passthrough" option was removed from the Audio settings page, and also passthrough doesn't work anymore. From the play controls screen, go to the the speaker icon and enable "passthough audio". Makes no difference. My AVR still says it's getting stereo signal.

- Tried resetting Pulseaudio's settings (rm -r ~/.config/pulse; pulseaudio -k). No difference.

Any ideas?

I attempted to play a movie with 5.1 audio, and put the xbmc log here:
http://pastebin.com/a7p72CZp
All I can see is that the passthrough is apparently failing, which explains that part, but nothing else jumps out at me.

Edit: Oh yeah, one more thing, where the heck did they put the setting for what audio formats my receiver can decode? It's not on the Audio page anymore...

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Bonzo posted:

By default, Gotham shows a settings level of Basic. Switch to the Confluence skin and change it to Expert. Now go into audio settings and you can now see passthrough option

Of course I have it on Expert already, I should have mentioned that maybe. The nightly doesn't have the option for Passthough on the Settings menu, only way to set it is during playback, to go into the "speaker icon" menu. Also, the AC3/DTS etc options are gone, I can't find them anywhere.

Anyway, it doesn't actually go into passthrough mode, for whatever reason.
And even if it did, the surround sound should work just as well without passthrough, but my problem is XBMC is not passing any channels except the front right+left. The receiver seems to be telling me it's getting stereo signal, no matter what I do in XBMC.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Jale posted:

It's in Settings>System>Audio Output

Yes, well, no, that's where I'm saying I expected to find it, but it's gone. Are you running the nightlies?
Anyway, finding the passthrough setting is not my problem, the problem is that XBMC is not outputting all the channels from surround tracks.

I guess I'll flatten and reinstall the beta instead, like jonathan suggested. It's the best I've come up with so far. I figure I'll get the same problem as I had in the alpha, though, since it wasn't fixed in the nightlies. Will try tomorrow night when I'm home.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 25, 2014

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yes, well, no, that's where I'm saying I expected to find it, but it's gone. Are you running the nightlies?
Anyway, finding the passthrough setting is not my problem, the problem is that XBMC is not outputting all the channels from surround tracks.

I guess I'll flatten and reinstall the beta instead, like jonathan suggested. It's the best I've come up with so far. I figure I'll get the same problem as I had in the alpha, though, since it wasn't fixed in the nightlies. Will try tomorrow night when I'm home.

I don't know what did it, but it's working now. I renamed my .xbmc folder, went back to the latest Gotham beta. Now the audio works as long as I use pass-through.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Gotham stable is out now.

Wow, the release notes were really helpful for once! I was having problems with audio decoding on xbmcbuntu, and thanks to the wiki page about Pulse Audio, I figured out that I should _not_ have my Pulse Audio set to 5.1, it should be Stereo for passthrough to work.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Do you mean I can't use sleep mode (S3) when installed to a USB stick anymore?

When I was using OpenElec from a reasonably fast USB stick, it used to boot in like 10 seconds. I don't see why anyone would use sleep mode. That was on an i3 machine though. If it took five minutes to boot on some low-power machine, I could see the problem.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Le0 posted:

Is it possible to use Netflix on XBMC? I have Openelec and Netflix is releasing tomorrow over here.

Reported for not reading the OP.

(J/K)

But anyway:

the OP posted:

Can I get Netflix working via XBMC?
Yes, but you don't really want to. On Windows 7, it requires Silverlight and doesn't function very well. On Windows 8, you can launch the official app but controlling it with a remote will require some work on your part. I don't believe it's supported at all on Linux or OpenELEC. Most people in this thread will tell you to buy a $40 Roku if Netflix is the most important way to stream videos to you, or to use any of the gazillion devices that have Netflix support.

Unless anyone has new information?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Ixian posted:

This is true, but it still relies on your XBMC machine exposing itself outside of your local network - like if you were hosting a web server on it, or for some reason decided to open up XBMC's web services to the outside. Which is dumb, and I think his real point.

Not that there aren't people doing it I am sure.

Probably plenty of them. And probably plenty of people reading this thread who are now scratching their head and going "Surely, my router blocks that. Or does it?"

As I understand it, if running xbmc on Linux, patching Bash should take care of it, right? Whatever distro has surely issued an update by now.
If running openElec, I guess you'd have to wait for a patch from the developers?
Windows should be safe, right?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I have a couple of calibration videos that I don't want scraped. Can I use an NFO file to prevent xbmc from adding the file to the library?

I know I can remove the folder from the sources by setting the content type to None. But I've recently been reinstalling my xbmc a few times, and I'd have to remove these folders every time.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

wolfbiker posted:

Why keep them with the rest of your videos that you want to be scanned and added to the library? Anything I have that isn't added to the library but I want to be able to watch, I add the folder as a source and set it to none.

Yes, obviously that's one solution, but I'd prefer to do it with an nfo file if it's possible.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

EC posted:

I'm guessing that they would probably scrape incorrectly, causing goofy stuff to appear in the library. I'm not sure if you can do it from the nfo file, but maybe the OP doesn't want to change his file structure around to accommodate this one thing.

Finally, someone who understands me!

They turn up as faulty entries for obscure old documentaries. Might bite the bullet and rearrange some files after all.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Is anyone else using OpenElec and a wireless xbox 360 controller? Annoyed by how the LED circle keeps blinking even after connecting successfully?
Please feel free to test this custom build, based on the Valve xpad patch, it'll hopefully help.

https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/2607
(See bottom of page)

This has been a public service announcement.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

The Gunslinger posted:

Awesome thanks man.

Did it work for you? I'm having problems with it not reconnecting successfully if I restart the controller. But pretty decent function all in all.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

wolfbiker posted:

That sounds like it would be cool the first few times, then annoying. One of the great features of having an HTPC is that you don't have to watch trailers and intros before the movie like you do with a DVD or Blu-Ray.

Is it still probatable to emptyquote in this subforum? Cause that's what I want to do.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

FISHMANPET posted:

So finally got around to installing 15.0, and the buffering is way worse than in 14! Instead of buffering all the time, it just valiantly plays whatever it gets as fast as it can, which is slower than real time, and also without audio. And it never really corrects itself, I've had it on in the background and it'll go 10 minutes at slightly reduced frame rate. I have to pause and unpause it a couple of times to get it to finally play normally, or at least buffer.

So, would you say have a network problem?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

The Milkman posted:

I think nowadays tweaking RetroArch would be much less painful than trying to shoehorn roms into Kodi directly

I was actually going to try and set up SteamOS running Kodi + RetroArch + Dolphin this weekend

Did anyone try this? I mean, it sounds like a good idea, but so do a lot of things that turn out impractical. Would love to not be a guinea pig if possible.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

The Milkman posted:

There was a big steamOS update a month or two ago which broke the build process for Kodi and other things. There's a guy who has a recipe to compile it locally but for now I just installed Ubuntu with the regular Steam client. That's probably the way to go right now if you're not keen on mucking around. Ubuntu is close to Just Works territory and you can set it to boot straight to big picture.

Yeah I'll give that a shot.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

37th Chamber posted:

You do realize you can use tons of different remotes on PCs right (wifi, IR, whatever floats your boat)? Or use one of the million apps to remotely control Kodi/the entire PC.

This!
I regret not realizing sooner that the Kore app for Android is perfectly usable by my GF. She's now set up with it on her phone so she doesn't have to use the xbox controller for navigating anymore. The in-app library navigation is much easier to use than the Kodi skin I'm using, apparently.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I just went and got a Lenovo Tab 2 A10-30 10.1". It's cheap as dirt and has a pretty good screen, and great battery life.
It runs Kodi well with the default skin. Admittedly I've only had time to check a couple of TV episodes but my H264 encodes seem to work just fine anyway.

Note: Wifi only. I'm assuming this is in-home streaming anyway.

Fake edit: Look at that loving price
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834331573&cm_re=Lenovo_Tab_2_A10-_-34-331-573-_-Product

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Yeah I'd like to know the same.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Internet Savant posted:

I am pretty sure deinterlacing is actually turned on, the picture quality actually looks plenty good enough for things that are not sports or fast moving pictures. But, when watching anything sport related, horizontal motion just looks weird (very small tearing of the picture), and it is enough to bother me and it's hard to unsee it. However, I will check the settings later today and see if that is an issue.

Tearing of picture on horizontal pans? Sounds to me like you need to check that the refresh rate of your Kodi matches that of the display. If it appears only on TV-source material (NTSC, 30Hz), perhaps Kodi is outputting everything at 24Hz?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Le0 posted:

For a few years now I've been using a Zbox running Libreelec but I think it's about to die. It started just shutting down in the middle of a movie, I guess because of heat or something.

Take it apart as far as you can, and use compressed air to blow out the dust that's undoubtedly blocking the airflow.
Put it back together again and keep using it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I use the other app, Kore, and it has worked marvellously. It wouldn't hurt to try it out if you keep having problems with Yatse on your device. You could install both and trial them side by side.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.xbmc.kore&hl=en

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

codo27 posted:

What should my next step be?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=170

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

PitViper posted:

I expect if I disabled the screensaver on the Shield and left Kodi open and in the foreground, it would probably update from the database exactly like the PC downstairs and the Rpi in the garage, but that defeats the purpose of the Shield as a "wife-friendly" method of media access.

Not sure I understand how you're using the Shield - how is the screensaver making it more wife-friendly? (I never used a Shield, or indeed Kodi on Android, so this may well be a stupid question.)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

PitViper posted:

I could disable the screensaver, but I presume it's more of an issue of how Android handles background apps. It doesn't update from the DB if we're watching something on Hulu/Netflix either, so it's probably a quirk of Android TV and Kodi not being allowed to poll the database if it's not the app in focus. Not a deal breaker, especially since I think the Shield is the best way to integrate as many of the various streaming services and Kodi/Plex as possible onto one piece of hardware. It might be a bigger issue if I didn't have a second device handling the library DB updates constantly, since running a library scan on the Shield is relatively slow.

OK, I understand, thanks for explaining. Yes indeed it sounds like an Android thing. As stevewm wrote above, there needs to be a development effort in Kodi to implement that. Probably using the JobScheduler framework, I guess. I searched the web for a bit but don't see any indication that this is underway.

They could opt to have only scheduled library updates run in the background, but they could also for example allow the audio player to keep playing when the user switches apps.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 1, 2017

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
If you have 150$ to spend on Amazon, my advice would be... Spend it on something more fun than a third media player device. Like, a lot of cases of beer or something?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Different skins are different, but the default one I think shows an SD or HD icon when you select the items. They will still look identical until you select them, though, unless you tweak it with NFOs like suggested above.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Bonzo posted:

Anyone got this Rom Collection Browser in Leia RC to work? I can import ROMs and download Art but I just get a blank screen when they are done loading. I can long press to bring up the settings menu but have the delete the config in order to be able to escape out to the main menu.

Oooh, Leia is RC now? Really looking forward to the retro gaming stuff.

And look, they baked Leia Beta 5 into a LibreElec Alpha!
https://libreelec.tv/

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Man, who has time to curate a collection of files anymore?
It's all right there on <legal streaming service> with correct info.
Oh wait, it's not.

So that leaves and OCD person two options to remain sane:
1. Curate your collection using nfo files or whatever helper program.
2. Hack your skin to hide the extra info. If you don't know how, change skins.

The latter is pretty good advice for any OCD behavior really. If you can't let go of an obsession, find a workaround.
Like the lady who kept turning back home on the way to work, because she needed to make sure she unplugged her hairdryer. Took 7 trips some days. Her new psychiatrist recommended that she took the hairdryer with her to work. Worked a charm when she could see it right there on the passenger seat.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 14, 2019

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

wolrah posted:

It sounds like the upstream database has correct information, but doesn't actually store a key piece (which production company is the primary) and Kodi just takes the first one listed. If that's the case then there's no way to solve this problem without them modifying their database as a whole.

Exactly, "fixing" the upstream database would mean to introduce a new field in their tables, which may or may not be possible and will take more than 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

BIZORT posted:

I got a Sony X90F TV a couple of months ago and a new Sony STR-DN1080 AVR very recently. Ever since, I cannot get Kodi 17.6 (on my Nvidia Shield) to play DTS-MA or TrueHD audio tracks. The closest I've gotten is to have it play DTS instead of DTA-MA, and the only way I've done this is to hook the Shield up to the TV directly via HDMI and run optical from the TV to the AVR. I tried to connect Shield -> AVR -> TV but it wouldn't play anything other than stereo. I also have one HDMI cable connecting the ARC port on the TV to ARC port on the AVR.

I've done the obvious (disabled sync playback, ticked the DTS-HD and TrueHD options in system settings, ticked allow passthrough). I don't know what else to do. It works in Plex but I don't think I can install trakt on Plex without rooting and I'd rather do without that hassle. Plus, I just plain enjoy Kodi a lot more. Does anyone have a similar setup and gotten it to work? I'm guessing it has to be a Kodi limitation or I simply haven't connected the devices properly. I feel like I've gone through every Kodi settings combination possible.

Try another source than Kodi, just to make sure it's not an issue with the AVR. This doesn't really sound like a software issue to me.

If worse comes to worst, you can rest assured that no living person can hear the difference between lossy 1500 kpbs DTS and lossless DTS-HD MA.