Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

PitViper posted:

Openelec seems to be taking their sweet time pushing out v7.0 (Kodi 16) and alpha/beta/RC versions don't seem to be as easily available as I remember them being. Currently I'm just dealing with my Pi media extenders being on a different version than my full HTPC in the living room, and letting them update their own old database until everything gets updated to Jarvis.

As far as ease-of-use, I agree Openelec seems to be best. After the initial install, I just handle updates via SSH. They work great as inexpensive extender boxes for playback, and I use an older Atom/ION full Kodi/Ubuntu setup as our main setup.

If you have some computing power laying around and don't want to wait any more, it's not that hard to build your own image from source, takes about 1.5h on my Xeon E5-1620 build server.

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Compile_from_source

edit: they seem to have some images up on their build server if you're feeling adventuristic, a lot faster than compiling from source: http://milhouse.openelec.tv/builds/master/. Based on versioning, they might be trying to iron out RPi3 support before a major release.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
I personally just control my Kodi setup with Yatse (android app), but I've heard decent things about this remote: http://www.amazon.com/Aerb-Wireless-Keyboard-Multifunctional-3-Gsensor/dp/B00K768DHY?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 7, 2016

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

nexus6 posted:

I have Yatse, it's pretty awesome but I do like not having to look at my remote when pressing buttons to know what I'm doing

That remote looks like it's IR + RF too, and what's the deal with remotes not having stop buttons?

From what I've read, only the 5 programmable buttons are IR, the rest are all over the RF dongle provided.

As for no stop buttons... who knows, one more button to raise costs? You could likely remap another button on the remote for stop if it's that important though.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

IUG posted:

So I got a letter in the mail about me using more power than the average for my neighborhood. I run my Kodi stuff from my old desktop, which has 5 fans running, and I don't have sleep. I've been thinking of trying to do a NAS setup with a Raspberry Pi doing some of the other work. Basically use the Pi for the SQL server so I can leave that running the whole time with no power usage. Maybe try to get Sickbeard running on that too to manage the NAS. I was also thinking of buying a Drobo for storage, but that's like a grand after all the drives are put in.

Has anyone done something similar? Any recommendations?

Someone is running a grow-op in your house, or the meter is reporting wildly wrong numbers. With modern hardware you'd have to be running an insane amount of devices to prompt a letter like that.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Keito posted:

Since I still haven't seen a single mention I thought I'd go ahead and ask the (previous?) OpenELEC users here, have all ya'll switched over to LibreELEC yet? Because if not, it's probably about time.

LibreELEC is a fork of OpenELEC that started back in March due to disagreements regarding project organization, and basically brought over the whole developer team from the original project. In about a month they managed to release their first stable version with Jarvis, and as of this month have started doing Krypton alpha releases. Since I'd been having some hiccups with my setup on OE6 I decided jumping over soon after the first LE Jarvis beta dropped, but it was rock stable already then and has served me well since.

OpenELEC on the other hand now seems completely dead in the water, with only Stephan Raue left to tend to development. No new releases since the Jarvis beta from late March, and now not a single commit to the GitHub repository in over a month...

This is what happens when you try to make money instead of doing what's best for the community, his Wetek partnership tore the project apart.

I switched over to LibreELEC since their first build and haven't looked back, recently upgraded to their Krypton builds and enjoying estuary on my daily driver.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
Given how the Android version of Kodi has like no developers now, you might want to hold off on investing in android boxes (if that's your only reason to get one)

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

codo27 posted:

I went and tried out one of those cheapo android boxes from Amazon for $38 CAN. Works right out of the box, Kodi already on it with the addons installed. The thing came with Kitkat installed and also an older version of Kodi, 15.2 (with what looks to be arab writing on the logo when I run it?). I guess these things are pretty generic. It has the same launcher as the one my buddy has. What I'm wondering is if there is some kind of stock android I can get to put on this, hopefully Lollipop, I know Marshmallow for the likes of this would be especially ambitious. There is an icon for the app store on the home screen but I dont really feel confident in entering my google account info on this thing.

Given those kind of boxes are from fly by night companies, I'd be surprised if there is anything official support/updates to it. There might be a community ROM or something if you're super lucky but don't expect much.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

If you're willing to use a wireless KB/M in the living room then I'm sure an HTPC is fine but I have to use a remote for others in the household and it needs to be bullet proof. The Shield is a great "everything just works" box and I do zero tech support which is worth the extra cash to me. I'm sure the day will come when its outdated and I regret not being able to upgrade it but until then its pretty cool.

You do realize you can use tons of different remotes on PCs right (wifi, IR, whatever floats your boat)? Or use one of the million apps to remotely control Kodi/the entire PC.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

bigis posted:

Oh cool so I can keep the same config/plugins/etc?

I went from OpenELEC to LibreELEC (right up to Kypton alphas) on my rPI2 with zero issue. All libraries/addons/configuration were all there and worked great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Hadlock posted:

There's a root TV folder, and about half are loose in the root folder, and the other half, one episode is in its own folder each.

The six or so episodes it picked up, half are in separate folders, the other half are loose.

I am honestly surprised that scanner ever worked for something that messy.

Time to Sonarr-ify your library.