Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Illuminado posted:

Being a terrible novice with MySQL, I've seen a couple guides to set up your library to sync with a SQL server, but couldn't really get it to work right. Is there a particular guide that any of you would recommend? I'm no stranger to a command line, but I pretty much copy/paste SQL commands in as I have no godly idea what I'm doing.

Yes just follow the instructions on the xbmc wiki, I am pretty sure a link is also in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Illuminado posted:

I looked there first, but didn't see anything until The pHo's comment about it.

I'll check the official Wiki again. I believe I did that the first time (to not good results).

You used this?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_MySQL

Its pretty straight forward. Did you remember to add your sources and then scan them in?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Did you enable "remote sends key presses" or whatever in the device options?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

And are you sure you are using the right build? Something is wrong with your setup. The great thing is you can just unplug your usb drive! Or did you install OE on your hard drive?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

DarkSol posted:

I'm having issues with OpenElec as well. I have the same set of problems as Rubiks Pubes, even from a fresh install. And I've also had problems with files that seem to "smear" as they play back, but if I play them back on my Windows through MPC-HC, I don't have that same issue.

It's a little frustrating. :(
That does suck, are you using the right build for your hardware? Also make sure hardware decoding is on.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Le0 posted:

Any skin recommendation besides the one in the OP?

I like Avalon, info here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=131965

As far as the official repo, xperience1080 is what I have been using on all my installs. I might switch to Avalon though.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Le0 posted:

How do you guys manage fanarts? I leave it to sickbeard but I have absolutely no control on it so sometimes it download weird formats.

Also anyone using an Harmony with a Zotac AD12. I have an external IR receiver, should I use this or rather the internal one? Should I use it as an MCE remote?

Yeah like therm said there is essentially no reason to export metadata from any of these programs. XBMC scans files great now.

I have a Harmony smart control with my AD10. I use the internal receiver because my hub is strong enough to blast to it. I set it up as a "Zotac AD10" device.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

I just got a Harmony Smart Control to replace an aging Harmony 700, did you have to do any special configuration for extra buttons in XBMC or did everything with the Zotac AD10 device in the Harmony software? Also I really wish this thing was backlit, bummer :(

I didn't need to set anything up special, sorry. It doesn't work in Windows but Openelec handles the commands just fine.

I wish it was backlit as well, but no lcd screen and no backlit means 1+ year battery life. You can always use your iphone/ipad.

And since I am a finally getting a tablet I decided to pretty much go as full Plex as I can so I can take advantage of the PMS. I am running Plexbmc with the Amber skin, and its been working great.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 29, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EC posted:

It'll do it internally, there's a method for exporting the individual files if you want.

The artwork downloader add on downloads to the directory.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

I have a pretty similar setup to yours and I think it's just a preference thing. I recreated the theater experience in my house to have the convenience without the annoyances.

Hmm ok, I'll see what I can do. I'm still running Windows since I do a lot of emulation stuff on my Zbox, not sure what to use for the base map there.

Probably MCE keyboard?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I've been testing out Plex for shits and giggles. How in the hell do you find stuff that Plex wasn't able to scan? In xbmc you can go into the files view and see it, but there isn't an option to see unscanned files that I can find.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

If you want to stick with windows download xbmclauncher and have it close and restart xbmc when sleeping/waking.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

IUG posted:

So I have one question before I try to fix that tonight. Is SQL and SMB sharing still the way to go?
Works perfectly fine for me. I think the only other option is NFS but I think getting that running in windows is a pain.

Look at the xbmc logs.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Have they commented on the centralized library function at all?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Artic skin is alright, nice blend of a bunch of different skins. Amber was made 1.0 and is in the main repo.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

trilljester posted:

I started using Transparency as my main skin because I love how it looks when scrolling films and having the large fan art showing. Does any other skin do it as nice as Transparency?

Lots of skins have fanart-centric views if thats what you mean.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EC posted:

I've looked into that before, but my 7 year old MX-810 feels better than any of the recent Harmony stuff. I actively hate the Harmony software as well, even the custom coded bullshit UR puts out works better. I will say that Logitech has a better IR code database, so I still keep an ancient Harmony around when I need to teach a code to my main remote.

I think this is the 100th time I've posted my hate for how piss poor the Harmony line is. Talk about a market ready for someone to take it over completely.

We don't have a harmony thread (rip) but the web-based interface is much better than the older software. Plus everything is updated via wifi so you don't even need to plug in your remote. I can't say enough good things about my smart control, I would like backlight, but I feel the trade off is more than worth it. The biggest thing is since it doesn't have an LCD it can last over a year on a little battery.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

crm posted:

What's everybody's favorite Frodo/12.2 skin?

The 3.2 Openelec update (to 12.2) broke a lot of skins for me, need something other than Confluence :(

Xperience1080 by a mile :colbert:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Make sure to enable "use local files" in the artwork downloader settings.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Did you try universal music scraper? It seemed to work fine before I switch my music library to google all access.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Le0 posted:

Does anyone uses a logitech harmony remote to command an AD10 Zbox?

Yes. I have it set up as an "ad10" in myharmony. It works perfectly in openelec and it worked on windows when I installed the IR drivers from zotac.com

Like the other people said you need to customize xbmc or use evenghost for more advanced poo poo.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Trakt is, and always will be, a buggy unreliable piece of poo poo. Which is a great shame. I tried it only a month or two back and despite the usual 'it works fine' comments, once again it was the culprit of bringing my system to its knees.

Where you using trakt utilities or another 3rd party addon? I had issues with those, but the official trakt xbmc has worked well since I switched over.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Keep in mind wifi might have issues with 1080p content. Run ethernet if you can.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Tooter posted:

I have multiple systems in my house. I want to be able to use a central library, which is already set up. Is the PleXMBC add on the best/easiest way to do this? All I want to do is be able to walk to my other system or laptop, load the program and watch a show or movie, just stream is straight across. Is that even possible? All I have found so far is running a MySQL DB and linking the systems together...

Mysql can do this. Don't bother with Plexbmc just use the plex client.

Gozinbulx posted:

So whats the skin du jour for goons?
Look back in this thread a few pages, but for me xperience1080 is the one i always come back to. Its not as fanart-centric as some other skins but I don't care at all.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Everything mysql related is spelled out in the wiki article.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_MySQL

I use mysql + trakt myself. Once you set it up its literally never think about it again. I have had this setup for a couple of years I think.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Looks like aeon mq5 is on the repo now. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174501

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Godinster posted:

I use XBMC Launcher which works fine
It doesn't sound like xbmclauncher is working fine. Make sure xbmclauncher is set to restart or start xbmc when it comes out of sleep. Could be gotham?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is it actually relaunching xbmc when your computer comes out of sleep?

Are you actively using windows? If not just use openelec and save yourself some hassle.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

I appreciate the responses, but I specifically don't want to use cp or sickbeard. I want it to be in the drop down list for sabnzbd post processing in the categories panel.

That said, I may use either the http command or cURL command and just write it into an ahk script.

Then just use the add on updater addon

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

bam thwok posted:

Anyone have any tips or seen a guide for migration from a Windows 7 based XBMC setup to a XBMCUbuntu one that preserves things like my settings for SABNZBD and Sickbeard? Lots of weird stability issues crop up from leaving it on for too long or resuming from sleep (aspect ratios get messed up, sound stops working, etc) that I'd like to leave behind but really don't want to have to go through the hassle of starting from scratch on the automated stuff.

Xbmc backup addon

Last 2 replies have been pretty low content but something pretty exciting I saw this weekend is mediabrowser3 relating to xbmc.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=173372

The link pretty much spells out what is going on but essentially this looks like it provides what plex does - centralized database and transcoding are the big ones. I have been trying it out, and it looks really fantastic, what plex should have been really. There looks to be a xbmc plugin based on plexbmc, and it looks like they are almost ready to release their client for windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw29LTGagDY

The best part is the project is open source. https://github.com/MediaBrowser

kri kri fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 11, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Esk1 posted:

Use xbmc at home. Plex on the go.

Sync the two libraries with trakt.

Or just use plexbmc or the new plex home theater client :smug:

THey just updated PHT yesterday or today, its working pretty well for me. Will be interesting to see if xbmc/mediabrowser can surpass plex.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 15, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What "cleaner utilty" are you using?

To do a clean install you can just delete/move your userdata folder out of where it is located and boom new xbmc install.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Userdata

e: looks like Plex Home theater has been released, I kind of like it. http://elan.plexapp.com/2013/11/23/plex-home-theater-1-0-released/

kri kri fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 27, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Don't use xbmchub.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Noticed this sleep/wake windows thing, might help some people.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176940

Haven't tried it yet.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

^^^^^try using xbmclauncher and have it relaunch xbmc or something? XBMC on my windows machines is always awful with dealing with sleep or long idle times.

Anti_Social posted:

My XBMC session would always bloat and freeze after about a day. Until they fix the memory leaks on this, I would stay away from this add-on.

Don't use watchdog, use the library updater addon. Its worked perfectly fine for me for over a year or so.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Why not just run the library updater addon?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What happens when you right click on the source and go to "set content"

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Bonzo posted:

so I bought a new 60" TV and can see XBMC so much better now. I was using Aeon Nox but would like to give some others a try. I got noticed a while ago that Xperience360 was taken out of the repository so that is everyone using now?

Xperience1080 is the best skin sorry about your inferior ones

Also for people looking for openelec boxes, the new intel celeron nuc for $140 is starting to filter out it looks like. Be aware they have 2 models, one regular and one with a 2.5" bay.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/overview.html

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

redhalo posted:

Arctic is excellent as well. Really there's nothing to lose by installing them all and trying them yourself.

Yeah this, keep in mind too the author sometimes has their own repo, its worth just tooling about the xbmc forums looking.

On anther note I am tryng out gotham and the subtitle integration is a lot better IMO now. They took the subtitles addon and included much of it right into xbmc core. I had tried to use Plex full time for a month or so and just trying to get subtitles to work was a pain, so I am back to xbmc. Hopefully mediabrowser3 will start getting better support for xbmc. It doesn't seem like the xbmc cares about a server based model, but from testing out MB3 its pretty drat slick.

e: just looked and I see the xbmc mb3 is in the official repo now:

http://mediabrowser3.com/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-27-xbmb3c-the-mediabrowser-xbmc-addon-version-075-release/

kri kri fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Can you go into a bit of detail about what MediaBrowser3 does? I looked at the website but it all went over my head.

Its essentially an open sourced Plex.