Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Any tips for allowing remote access to media on an OpenElec HTPC? SFTP would work but that would be a security risk I imagine. The best option would be UPNP if possible, otherwise maybe opening up the SMB port might work? Just wondering if there's an easy solution built into XBMC/OpenElec so I don't have to reinvent the wheel/become a network security expert.

Someone wrote an article up on reddit awhile back on how to do this using webDAV if you care to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

IUG posted:

I have the DVDs (and blurays) of Futurama, and I tend to rewatch the show because it's one of my favorites. However, I was starting to worry about the DVDs degrading over time (or something), and was thinking about ripping them to an ISO file or some such so I can keep browsing the menus and special features. I was wondering if and how I could scrape them into my library. Obviously I can't list them as episodes, as the disks have 4-6 episodes each (except for the movies, which should be straightforward at least).

You can name the iso file as multiple episodes like S01E01E02E03E04 for a disc with 4 episodes of other shows. Be aware that Futurama completely redid their TV air order vs DVD order so getting this to match up with xbmc is going to be pretty annoying, I don't think you will be able to get the discs to correctly line up automatically, I think you are going to have to create custom .nfo files and spend quiet a bunch of time doing this. I think to do dvd order you need to have the media in a separate location and set it up with the scraper ahead of time. The problem with this is that when you click any of the 4 it will take you to the dvd menu and mark them all as watched. I'd recommend just using handbrake and ripping the individual episodes as individual files unless you really really want to keep all the special features digitally, just keep the DVDs for that.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Does the "in progress" tv show menu auto update periodically? I'm using refocus big, but I don't think its skin specific. I mainly use the recommended widget but sometimes like to see a little more information or artwork but I've noticed that on my system this menu is only updating every reboot. The recommended widget on the home page updates each time I re-visit the page.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

snuff posted:

I bought a Pivos XIOS DS after some research thinking it could do what I wanted it to, but after a lot of problems I will be returning it. Just wanted to highlight some of it's problems as to warn others that are on the fence, a lot of these things they're not really talking about on the official Pivos forums.

- Can't play large files without stutter and audio drop-outs (and I am using the latest XBMC-Linux nightly build)

- Can't output 24p, so there is loads of judder on everything

- Had some weird flicker sometimes when outputting 1080p (no problems doing 720p og 1080i, but who cares?)

- The dedicated XBMC build is pretty gimped so you can't really add scrapers easily for your content (Maybe there's a way to do this but since it can't play files I didn't bother) and there is no way to add custom skins on XBMC

- No way to add my media from my media USB-HDD connected to my Aiport Extreme, and connecting the USB-HDD directly to the XIOS means you can only access it with WinSCP and transfer speeds of 2mb/s

There's a lot of potential for devices like this but I feel it just isn't there yet. I will probably buy one later down the line but for now I'm gonna live with my WDTV Live, it plays everything I throw at it super smooth even though it's slow as hell and the UI is pretty basic.

I just want a low power box that plays all my media (from my Airport Extreme connected HDD) and is snappy and pretty, but I guess no such device exists yet?

I'm really happy with Openelec on a intel mobile sandy bridge nm70 chipset. Board chip and ram can usually be had for 75 bucks, so you just gotta add a power supply, case, and USB stick. Thing runs at like 17 watts and plays everything I throw at it. It can also handle aeon nox and other heavy skins.

The other option is ouya in June, not sure how it will perform quiet yet.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Speaking of, can the A3500 run Aeon Nox? I tried installing it, but the lag was absolutely terrible. I don't know if this was due to Windows updates trying to run at the same time, or if the system just can't handle the skin (which would bum me out, since I really like it.)

I'm not familiar with running that chip, but under windows it wouldn't surprise me if it struggles. I know my box won't run it inside windows but on xbmcunbuntu or Openelec it has no issues.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

jonathan posted:

I'm using a 3TB NAS and use XBMC 12.2 to watch content. This is done via an htpc in the theater room and soon I will be using a small zotac for upstairs in the living room.

Can someone explain what I would gain from using a MySQL database ? I see it talked about often here.

Alternatively, could I just create a trakt account and gain much of the same functionality ?

It allows you to share one xbmc database between all your machines. You only have to scan stuff once on one machine, watched status and artwork syncs automatically, also it gives you pause in one room resume in another functionality. Basically your viewing the exact same information in all rooms.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

The pHo posted:

e: Just to be clear on the 'pause in any room functionality' - you actually need to hit 'Stop' for it to log where you got to, which is why if you crash XBMC while it's running something it doesn't remember you ever starting it. It is rad to watch half a film downstairs and complete it in bed though, and if you have more than one machine running XBMC (I think we have 6 or 7 here now) I highly recommend it.
That's a good clarification. I rarely pause something with xbmc because if I'm stopping its either because I have to leave or someone else is using that tv. I use this feature daily though and it's awesome.

Also as said above you have to have the MySQL machine on 24/7 so if you run a nas put it there. If your running sickbeard and that updates your xbmc database automatically you need one machine on as well to receive the notifications, but then you really don't need to ever scan your library.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

The pHo posted:

Yep that's pretty much how I do it too. Sickbeard, Couch Potato, SAB and XBMC on the HTPC in the lounge then most pcs, macs, apple TVs and rasp pis in the house running just the client.

Shame there's no xbmc server like plex has so I could offload everything to a dedicated box full of hdds.

I have a dedicated box of hdds sitting in a closet running SQL, what prevents you from being able to do this? You just have to have your main xbmc machine on to receive the notifications or run xbmc on the server.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Do you use a SATA controller card or just onboard SATA ports for this? I currently have 6 HDDs and want to throw a few more 2TBs in the mix since I'm running low on space, but I have no more free ports on my motherboard.

I just filled up my first pcie sata card so I'll need another for my next hd. My mobo had 6 ports.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Sorry for all the mysql related questions, but I have everything set up and the satellite devices are seeing the library okay, but I'm not getting any thumbnails in my Apple TV. Any ideas?

Cool, so those relatively cheap non-RAID cards work fine then?

What version of xbmc? Pre xbmc 12 you had to do the substitution path, if your running frodo I'm not sure, sometimes mine take a bit to load changes.

I'm running drivepool, so I don't need raid cards. I guess it depends what you need.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Elysium posted:

I am using OpenElec 3.03 and lately it has been freezing a ton. It tells me there are updates available, it downloads and extracts them, and then tells me to reboot. I reboot and it just stays as 3.03 and then tries to download the update again.
Do a manual update:
Just download 3.2 from openelec.tv for your build and extract everything in the target directory into smb://<openelec box>/update then reboot the box.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Hogburto posted:

Has anyone here tried sharing files to XBMC over The Internet using WebDAV? I've set up IIS with WebDAV and everything works locally, but remotely all I can get is the login prompt and (eventually when I cancel) the server 401 -invalid credentials screen. So I know I'm connecting, but can't log in.

Doesn't WebDAV have a file size limit of like 4gb? I guess that works for shows but makes hd movies unusable.

I just use plex. Trakt works really well for syncing xbmc and plex databases and since I'm using my phone most the time remotely its much better to stream converted files.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

crm posted:

What's everybody's favorite Frodo/12.2 skin?

The 3.2 Openelec update (to 12.2) broke a lot of skins for me, need something other than Confluence :(

Refocus big by infinity +1 of what anyone else says miles.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Burden posted:

Cross posting from the Game Center Live thread.

If you want to watch NHL games use this addon for watching the NHL streams on XBMC. Worked perfect yesterday. Download and then install addon from zip in XBMC.

fixed url: http://ge.tt/2QbKAUt/v/0

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Suniikaa posted:

I use http://trakt.tv/downloads/xbmc to sync my watched data with trakt.

Works great. I use this to sync plex and xbmc everyday.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

haljordan posted:

Yeah I'm really only looking to upgrade because I finally got an actual HDTV and pretty much the only thing I don't like about my current XBOX setup is no HD support. A friend of mine actually sent me a few links to some Android devices so I might seriously consider one of those instead.

Waiting around another couple months isn't a deal breaker; most of my content is XViD anyways.

Get the cheapest nuc and 4gb of ram and a USB stick and run openelec.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Tooter posted:

I have multiple systems in my house. I want to be able to use a central library, which is already set up. Is the PleXMBC add on the best/easiest way to do this? All I want to do is be able to walk to my other system or laptop, load the program and watch a show or movie, just stream is straight across. Is that even possible? All I have found so far is running a MySQL DB and linking the systems together...

Your wording is a bit vague here. PleXMBC works but you lose some of the better features of the xbmc backend (personally I can't stand not having movie collection support). If you go this route your basically just using plex with a xbmc front end. You might as well just use the plex client at this point.

Here are some options:

1. If you prefer xbmc set up a mySQL DB and just point all the sytems at it. If all the boxes are using XBMC and are on the same network this is the best solution.
2. plexbmc
3. Trakt - This can be used in conjunction to either 1 and 2. I use trakt pretty extensively because I will commonly stream stuff on my phone during lunch but much prefer xbmc at home. I have the trakt plugin on my xbmc box and then also on my plex server. Both will update trakt status as you watch items, so you can run the two separate and not have to use plexbmc and keep both databases in sync.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Tooter posted:

Sorry, it has been a long day and there have been some drinks involved. So MySQL is the way to go? I thought trackt only kept track of the data, it didn't host it out. I can set it up on the system that houses all the media and run it from there. Awesome! More work than I wanted but I shall persevere!
I have ran into an issue with bluecop addons not working as well. They all fail when loading. The Hulu, for example, is configured with my credentials but when I start it just dies. Is there further configuration required other than what is in the program itself?

Are all your systems xbmc? Then use SQL

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

bam thwok posted:

Does anyone know of a plugin for XBMC that encodes a video in your library into another format, say for mobile?

I travel for work occasionally, and would love a function where I could browse my library from the XBMC interface, and through either the context menu or a plugin menu select a video and shoot a format-appropriate version of it over to my iPad.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Use xbmc at home. Plex on the go.

Sync the two libraries with trakt.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

bam thwok posted:

Will that work for offline viewing with the iPad, like if I were to get on a plane? Or are we talking about streaming?

It has a mode called plex sync that does that for you, where you pre-transcode and save to the iPad. You just select items you want for offline viewing and sync it like you would with say itunes and music. It works remotely too so if you have a fast enough connection you can update your movies /tv from anywhere. I believe that requires PlexPass, which is worth just buying the lifetime. It's 3 bucks a monthly, 25 a year, or 75 lifetime. I rely on this when I travel and it is really fantastic. The also released a cool new feature where you can transcode and save to dropbox, so you already have videos transcoded but not on your ipad so you can swap them out easier.

Esk1 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 15, 2013

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

kri kri posted:

Or just use plexbmc or the new plex home theater client :smug:

THe just updated PHT yesterday or today, its working pretty well for me. Will be interesting to see if xbmc/mediabrowser can surpass plex.

If it ever supports movie collections...... I would try it for dedicated home use

Esk1 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 15, 2013

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

suddenlyissoon posted:

As someone who has always been a die-hard XBMC fan I'm really, really liking Plex at the moment, especially the shared libraries function! I'd love to see it incorporated in the thread.

I still prefer xbmc for at home, but plex is great for lunch breaks and travelling. I've said it a few times but you can sync the two using trak.tv plugins which is what I do and your unwatched/watched status gets duplicated back and forth.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

If anyone else has a NUC that freezes on suspend sometime, ssh into it and execute this command to fix it - echo 0 > /sys/power/pm_async

It'll hopefully be baked into newer builds of OpenElec going forward. My NUC is now perfect, that was my sole complaint. It's not a bad little emulator box either.

I stopped using suspend a few years back because oe sometimes took minutes waking up from suspend to connect to smb shares. Does this still occur?

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Is there some type of equivalent to Firestarter on Nexus Player?

No need. Kodi is in the Google play store.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is setting up a mysql server for kodi's video library pretty easy? I've got a home lab that I can easily spin up an ubuntu server on, I'd like to be able to sync my library between my living room, bedroom & laptop.

It's not bad. But I don't really any reason to not run emby server and add on instead. Then you get remote transcoding and a lot more features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Oops wrong thread

Esk1 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 27, 2018