Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009
Does anyone know the fix (or proper settings) to correctly downsample audio to a 2.0 setup? I'm tired of holding my finger on the volume button, waiting for any action scenes or loud background music where I have to drop the volume, and then back to dialog scenes where I have to pump the volume back up.

I thought Frodo's new audio engine was going to fix this for me. To clarify, I've got Frodo running on a Win 8 box attached to my HDTV via HDMI. From there I use an optical cable to output all sounds to a Vizio VSB200 sound bar. I have my XBMC sound config set to audio over HDMI, 2.0, downsample on, and everything else (dolby, etc) off. Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

evilalien posted:

That is proper downsampling as it is retaining the dynamic range found in the original audio. You are looking for dynamic range compression. The AudioEngine wiki indicates that it isn't currently yet implemented though it is planned, while the OSD page mentions a Volume Amplification setting that does apply DRC. AudioEngine may have obsoleted this, but give it a try and see if it works I guess.

Thanks for the clarification. I tried the Volume Amplification, and it works to a degree, but it's like the compression is too simplistic. During heavy dialog scenes, it brings the soundtrack up out of nowhere, making it harder to understand. During action scenes, the dialog matches the background noise, but still gets drowned out by it. I need it to bring the dialog up above the background noise, not just in level with it.

I suppose I'll be watching the nightlies and hope that the AudioEngine gets updated sooner rather than later.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

If Gotham still doesn't have dynamic range audio compression, I'm gonna lose it. Am I really the only user that doesn't have a 5.1/7.1 setup?

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

Anyone have a nice little script that will update XBMC libraries that I can put as a part of the SABNZBD post processing? For a windows setup.

I saw some but they either seemed outdated or to be for linux.

I've had good luck with XBMC updates coming from Sickbeard. You can test it out pretty easily (sending a test notification from Sickbeard to XBMC). Plus there's also a setting that will update only the new file that Sickbeard added, instead of scanning the entire disk.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009
While we're talking about scripts, is there any script that will wake up USB attached hard drives when there is any interaction with XBMC?

My external drives fall asleep relatively quickly and I hate waiting the several seconds after clicking play for the drive to spin up. Ideally it'd spin up right when I touched XBMC. I've never done any scripting so I don't know if that could be accomplished by "touching" a dummy file on the drive whenever XBMC is awoken.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009
What's the recommended guide and Kodi version to install on the Amazon Fire TV? I've read through kodi.wiki/view/Amazon_Fire_TV and am thinking of using either the official build or elmerohueso's version but wanted to check for goon advice first.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

Call Me Charlie posted:

I covered it in the Fire TV thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644021 You can't go wrong with the official build.

Of course, I should have checked for a Fire TV thread. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009
What's the best method to share files from osx? This will be streaming to an Amazon Fire TV with XBMC if it matters.

I tried SMB via SMBUp and found it to be very buggy, and then I tried NFS Manager but couldn't continue because I'm sharing an exfat drive. Any other advice? This is for my brother and I'm not very familiar with osx.